Notices

Interesting prospects Colin Jacobs

Old
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
Interesting prospects Colin Jacobs

Born in Dallas and has been a Dallas fan ever since he was a kid! You don't see that every day...
Interesting article here:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Very Cool
Thx for the link!
I didnt read all of it, was there a draft projection in there?

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Chad_

I think this is the kid who a couple of years ago there were a couple of mentions where he might be the first overall selection for the NHL Draft. I'm guessing his stock has slipped since then, or the articles I read were written with a bias/angle, but I think that's the kid.

ADDED: I like this quote:
Quote:
"[Winning the Stanley Cup] had a quite a bit of an impact," Jacobs said. "No one knew what the Stanley Cup was and then they brought it down and showed everyone at the local coffee shops and they realized they won the national championship for a sport, so maybe we should try this hockey thing out, it's pretty fun."
He was six years old. There were plenty of people in Dallas and Texas in general who not only knew what the Cup was, but were attending watching parties during the regular season and playoff run. It's never been the same, not even the following year when the Stars lost in the Finals and the bandwagoners had jumped on fully. On game nights toward the end of the year and during that playoff run, you had to get to a bar a couple hours before a game to get a decent seat or a seat in general. But I guess no one knew what was actually happening until the Stars won it.

Last edited by Chad_: 11-16-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:03 AM
txdude5101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I think this is the kid who a couple of years ago there were a couple of mentions where he might be the first overall selection for the NHL Draft. I'm guessing his stock has slipped since then, or the articles I read were written with a bias/angle, but I think that's the kid.

ADDED: I like this quote:

He was six years old. There were plenty of people in Dallas and Texas in general who not only knew what the Cup was, but were attending watching parties during the regular season and playoff run. It's never been the same, not even the following year when the Stars lost in the Finals and the bandwagoners had jumped on fully. On game nights toward the end of the year and during that playoff run, you had to get to a bar a couple hours before a game to get a decent seat or a seat in general. But I guess no one knew what was actually happening until the Stars won it.
No that was Cason Hohmann

txdude5101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude5101 View Post
No that was Cason Hohmann
Are you sure, because Hohmann isn't from the DFW area (he's lived here, but he's not native) and I thought the guy hyped up was born and raised here. The fact he was a born and bred Dallas native was part of the story's central theme.

Old
11-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Are you thinking of the kid drafted near the top of the second round a couple years back who now plays for Michigan? He was a stud for them last season and born and raised in Flower Mound before going to the USHL.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Popeye Jones' kid was also featured in I think SI as a kid to watch in the future. He now plays for the USNDT U-17s.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...developme.html

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
BigG44

Popeye Jones' kid and Colin Jacobs are both considered top prospects in their draft class, but Jacobs stock has fallen. I don't know if Jacobs was ever considered a 1st overall pick, but I do know I've seen Top 10 attached to his name before.

He's a right shot center, and Dallas would probably have to take him in the first unless they pick high again and Jacobs happens to fall to the 2nd.

Also, McKeen's hockey has an interview with him. They are a pay site, but I believe this article is free. Since they are a for profit site, I don't think I can post a link. I'm sure a simple Google search would pull it up though.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:13 AM
BigG44

Well he sounds like the type of center GM Joe likes: big, skilled, and defensively aware.

From the NHL.com article:
Quote:
"He gets better every game out," NHL Central Scouting's B.J. MacDonald told NHL.com. "He pays attention to the defensive side at both ends of the rink. He helps out down low. He's learning to use his size much better and has good positioning. He's playing on a low-scoring team, but he's getting more effective offensive instincts each game. He's always around the puck, plays well in traffic and the corners. He's strong on the puck. He should improve as the season progresses and will be one of their go-to guys soon."

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Are you thinking of the kid drafted near the top of the second round a couple years back who now plays for Michigan? He was a stud for them last season and born and raised in Flower Mound before going to the USHL.
You are talking about Chris Smith who was drafted by Phoenix in '09

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I don't think so, but it's been three years or so since I've read the article and the kid was 14 or so at the time. I was surprised that level of a player could/would develop in Dallas not just because the level of play here, but because the top athletes play other sports. Things have certainly changed since I was that age, but a Dallas area kid in my generation who was a top athlete would not have focused on hockey and instead chosen other sports. The fact that has changed caught my eye more than anything else.

But, you know, I don't really know if it's Jacobs, the one you mention (I don't think so based upon age) or if it's Hohmann (I'm pretty certain it's not Hohmann though). I also know it wasn't Jones (different position and known father), though I have read about Jones. And besides, the article could very well have been more about pumping up Dallas area youth hockey than anything else as I think it was during the All Star game festivities.

Last edited by Chad_: 11-17-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: bad wording
Old
11-17-2010, 01:30 PM
txdude5101

Well idk, about who was said to be first overall,
My best friend has played with both of them, and another kid I know was drafted to the WHL but went USHL instead to play college hockey. Jacobs would be a sick kid to have on our team,

Old
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Chad_

The fact that Jacobs was at one time considered Top 10, according to BigG44, makes me think that is the kid I am thinking of. Like I wrote, I think the articles were written more to hype the Dallas area hockey, or growth thereof, than anyone prospect, but I did a double or triple take one of them when Jacobs, or whomever, was called a possible top overall selection.

It really does astound me that type of athlete capable of being a first overall selection would choose to play hockey who lives in Dallas, is from Dallas and played most of his years in Dallas. That's fantastic, don't get me wrong, but even my younger relatives (one a senior in HS) who enjoy hockey and are phenomenal athletes never played hockey past a certain age and instead focused on football and baseball. But that's why I remember that one article in particular, because it really shocked me.

Old
11-17-2010, 01:56 PM
txdude5101

Quote:
The fact that Jacobs was at one time considered Top 10, according to BigG44, makes me think that is the kid I am thinking of. Like I wrote, I think the articles were written more to hype the Dallas area hockey, or growth thereof, than anyone prospect, but I did a double or triple take one of them when Jacobs, or whomever, was called a possible top overall selection.

It really does astound me that type of athlete capable of being a first overall selection would choose to play hockey who lives in Dallas, is from Dallas and played most of his years in Dallas. That's fantastic, don't get me wrong, but even my younger relatives (one a senior in HS) who enjoy hockey and are phenomenal athletes never played hockey past a certain age and instead focused on football and baseball. But that's why I remember that one article in particular, because it really shocked me.
It might of been him, but I thought it Was Cason Hohman (SP) didnt check again, because when I looked at him they said he was the Next Mike Modano. Maybe it is Colin Jacobs, he would be a sick sick player to have on our team, but we are already deep on centers.

Old
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
txomisc

Quote:

Heres the first article i read about Colin
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=450113

There’s Jeff McMinimy, who’s a ‘92-born kid also, and there’s another kid, Cason Hohmann, and there’s a kid Trey Keenan. Those are probably the five guys that should all be sure-bet NHL draft picks, scholarships to schools of their choice. There’s actually one more kid in that birth class, a kid named Colton Hargrove, who’s also up for the National Development program. There’s probably three ‘92-born kids and three ‘93-born kids that are playing here in Dallas right now, that are really on the radar for superstardom in the future.”

edit: looks like keenan chose football

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:06 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude5101 View Post
It might of been him, but I thought it Was Cason Hohman (SP) didnt check again, because when I looked at him they said he was the Next Mike Modano. Maybe it is Colin Jacobs, he would be a sick sick player to have on our team, but we are already deep on centers.
Actually organizationwise id say center is a weak spot. Benn may or may not stick at center. We've got Ribeiro locked up, but who knows whats going to happen with Richards. Beyond that we have Wandell whos having a disappointing season and our prospect depth at center looks like crap.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Chad_

Regardless, it's pretty neat there are a handful of top end prospects coming out of the DFW area, including some that were born and raised here. Good information and I'd have missed it if not for it being mentioned on this board.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Its cool thats hes a local kid, but they have to take defense in the first round next year, if hes still there in the second round or late first, maybe Dallas can trade a few pieces to move up and get him, but if Dallas has a top 20 pick I'l be disappointed if they pick him.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:38 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

From here he's is projected to go 43rd, but that can easily change
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=721545&page=11
I'd love to get him but we need to draft a goalie in the first one so I doubt it will happen.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFanInCanada View Post
From here he's is projected to go 43rd, but that can easily change
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=721545&page=11
I'd love to get him but we need to draft a goalie in the first one so I doubt it will happen.
Oh yeah a top goalie prospect is a huge need for us

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:42 AM
drhockey14

Colin Jacobs, Cason Hohmann and Stefan Noesen are all native of DFW, and played for the same team. They all played for the U-18 team except Colin, and were all at one point potential first rounders.

Im pretty sure Cason was born in DFW, but he might've just moved there when he was little because I played hockey with him for many years.

drhockey14 is offline   Reply With Quote