HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
jimmy1100

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Vanek is also a big boy who isn't afraid to plant himself in and near the crease. Its unfortunate that trade isn't hapenning because I make that deal every damn day.
Wait, which team is giving up the 1st round pick to Calgary? Simmonds and Hickey for Vanek and Hagman I could be ok with (though I'd hate to lose Simmonds). But adding in our 1st rd pick and I'd say no.

Regardless, I don't think it's even a realistic possibility cap-wise. Kings add $10.1m in salary and only ship out $.8m?

Old
12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Vanek is also a big boy who isn't afraid to plant himself in and near the crease. Its unfortunate that trade isn't hapenning because I make that deal every damn day.
I dont believe we have the cap space to make that trade. But, yeah, the only thing not to like about Vanek is the cap hit

P.S. Jimmy grabbed that same concept at almost the same time. Hmmmm.

Old
12-10-2010, 10:10 AM
R0CKET

If Vanek was available, I would be all over that guy. He is still very young and he DOES produce. He would be a way better fit for what LA already has than Dean going after either of Spezza or Lacavalier as has been rumored.

Put Vanek on this club with what we have in top end talent at forward and D and that would really put us at a totally different level.

What we would have to give to get him if there were any kind of potential deal on the table would be steep though.

A guess could be something along the lines of JJ + Stoll + Lokti as the prime pieces?

While I do realize that we would hurt in the faceoff dept for the short term, that could be dealt with easily enough thru a deadline deal.

JJ would be a hard guy to let go of, but this could really bring a balance to the Kings and even though they don't have another JJ in the waiting we certainly have built a future defense corp thru the draft that can come in and play decently now.

Old
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Wait, which team is giving up the 1st round pick to Calgary? Simmonds and Hickey for Vanek and Hagman I could be ok with (though I'd hate to lose Simmonds). But adding in our 1st rd pick and I'd say no.

Regardless, I don't think it's even a realistic possibility cap-wise. Kings add $10.1m in salary and only ship out $.8m?
I'll let Dean and Jeff Solomon worry about the cap. I just know value wise that trade is awesome, even if its our 1st round pick which I expect it would be.

Hell, I'd take someone else, a solid 4th liner, instead of Vanek to help out the cap, because I did forget that Hagman's salary is significant. Hagman is a good player though and a good fit for our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I dont believe we have the cap space to make that trade. But, yeah, the only thing not to like about Vanek is the cap hit

P.S. Jimmy grabbed that same concept at almost the same time. Hmmmm.
Oh hey, look who is licking Cap Space's balls all of a sudden

The way around eating up a ton of cap space in your top players it to have a good farm system with cheap guys who can fill in when you have to trade a guy due for a raise (like Simmonds in this case). We have that depth now. Say we dump Hagman for a pick or a prospect right after that deal. Drop Lewis to RW on the third with Poni and Zus.

We would look like this:

Vanek-Kopi-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Zus-Lewis
Clifford-Richardson-Westgarth

That's a gangster team.

You lose Zus next year, resign Williams for a little less than he makes now, Cliche and Schenn are ready. Boom, set.

I don't feel like doing math now to see if any of that works, but if Philly can ice the lineup they have, why the **** can't we bring in another big price player?

Old
12-10-2010, 11:00 AM
null33

Quote:
I'll let Dean and Jeff Solomon worry about the cap. I just know value wise that trade is awesome, even if its our 1st round pick which I expect it would be.

Hell, I'd take someone else, a solid 4th liner, instead of Vanek to help out the cap, because I did forget that Hagman's salary is significant. Hagman is a good player though and a good fit for our team.

Oh hey, look who is licking Cap Space's balls all of a sudden

The way around eating up a ton of cap space in your top players it to have a good farm system with cheap guys who can fill in when you have to trade a guy due for a raise (like Simmonds in this case). We have that depth now. Say we dump Hagman for a pick or a prospect right after that deal. Drop Lewis to RW on the third with Poni and Zus.

We would look like this:

Vanek-Kopi-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Zus-Lewis
Clifford-Richardson-Westgarth

That's a gangster team.

You lose Zus next year, resign Williams for a little less than he makes now, Cliche and Schenn are ready. Boom, set.

I don't feel like doing math now to see if any of that works, but if Philly can ice the lineup they have, why the **** can't we bring in another big price player?
Delicious, without question. But if Williams keeps going like he's going, he's sure to get a raise.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:34 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Delicious, without question. But if Williams keeps going like he's going, he's sure to get a raise.
True. If he scores 30g/30-40a, he would be a $5million market player, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see him sign for less, especially if the Kings make a "put us over the top move" at the deadline, like a Vanek. If we are the cusp of winning a cup, I can't see Willy as a guy who will just follow the money.

If he did though, then we have to hope Moller is ready to step in an tear some **** up.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Vanek would be nice, but I just can't see it happening. The Kings always end up with the lesser known talent who will make smaller contributions, which fits in with all of their previous mid-season/trade deadline acquisitions going back to Donald Audette, to Kelly Buchberger and Nelson Emerson, Cliff Ronning, Dmitry Yushkevich, Martin Straka, Anson Carter, Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel, Jeff Halpern, Fred Modin...

The Kings generally don't make a big splash, as I sense that Lombardi doesn't like to disrupt the makeup and chemistry of the team much. I think the last bold move he made would probably be when he dealt Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene, or arguably trading O'Sullivan for Williams (although that is a trade that made a ton of sense then and looks like highway robbery now).

I could see them pulling off another trade similar to the one that brought Williams to LA, which is taking on a low risk with the potential for a big payoff, which is what Sturm could be. That was the approach with Modin and it turned out to work well for the Kings for the short amount of time Modin spent with the Kings.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
True. If he scores 30g/30-40a, he would be a $5million market player, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see him sign for less, especially if the Kings make a "put us over the top move" at the deadline, like a Vanek. If we are the cusp of winning a cup, I can't see Willy as a guy who will just follow the money.

If he did though, then we have to hope Moller is ready to step in an tear some **** up.
true... and maybe he isn't the type to follow the money per se. but, how often DO you get the opportunity to really dictate your own terms? being healthy after a good season and in the prime of your career, he may make a decision to test the market in hopes of finding the best deal he can... which in the end can loan itself to the idea that he's chasing the dollar, tho i tend to think that idea is either strengthened or weakened depending on who a player in his position eventually signs with.

Old
12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
true... and maybe he isn't the type to follow the money per se. but, how often DO you get the opportunity to really dictate your own terms? being healthy after a good season and in the prime of your career, he may make a decision to test the market in hopes of finding the best deal he can... which in the end can loan itself to the idea that he's chasing the dollar, tho i tend to think that idea is either strengthened or weakened depending on who a player in his position eventually signs with.
Good points. Call me wishful thinker

Totally possible he tests the market regardless of what we offer. Its his right and won't upset me if he does.

Old
12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I have heard that Vanek's agent isn't aware of any talks between us and Buf in awhile. TFP seems to be a bit long on this one.

Connoly's agent might have find this rumor to be a surprise as well.

I like Vanek and would favor our going after him but his contract is a monster and would be the biggest on our team and that could upset the apple cart when it comes to signing a few of the players who have been identified as our core people.

I am with Vanek's agent (allegedly) on this one, it would be nice but doesn't seem too likely.

Old
12-10-2010, 12:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I have no doubt that this rumor has zero legs, but its fun to think about it.

Old
12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I hear you JDM.

The idea of Vanek on our top six would be something to see. He is a solid finisher with above average speed but he is also a really smart player with great vision. Kopitars goal total would rocket up and so would our left D's point production.

It would just be too pretty a thing to see for DL to consider it more seriously.

Old
12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
It would just be too pretty a thing to see for DL to consider it more seriously.
We need to dress up something pretty with a scruffy beard and battle scars to fool DL into giving us a skilled player.

DL is like the guy who will brag about nailing all the hottest women but then suck off a guy named biff through a glory hole in a bathroom in the middle of the desert... because as much as he thinks he likes the hot chicks, he just can't help himself.

Last edited by JDM: 12-10-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old
12-10-2010, 12:47 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I hear you JDM.

The idea of Vanek on our top six would be something to see. He is a solid finisher with above average speed but he is also a really smart player with great vision. Kopitars goal total would rocket up and so would our left D's point production.

And that's the knock on DL. Correct me if I am wrong, but for all his talk about having to be a riverboat gambler at some point in order to put the team in the best position to compete, I don't recall him ever making that kind of move. Not here and not in San jose.

Old
12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
No problem, just look at the New Jersey Devils...oh wait....

They aren't even defensive either. Henrik Tallinder is like a 6'3 Fathead occupying the ice.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:16 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
DL is like the guy who will brag about nailing all the hottest women but then suck off a guy named biff through a glory hole in a bathroom in the middle of the desert... because as much as he thinks he likes the hot chicks, he just can't help himself.

That's great!!! Shame on you, but that's great!

Old
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
It's not as though he hasn't tried. DL will get Kopi a Top Flight LWer..timing is everything.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
We would have to pry Vanek from Regier's cold dead hands. Buffalo needs him just as bad as we do.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

With Lombardi having struck two trades with Jim Rutherford that seemed to have worked out rather well for both parties, I tend to think that they could possibly get together again and work on a trade that could land a winger to the Kings. They almost had a deal worked out last season as well for Ray Whitney.

I'd love to have Tuomo Ruutu or Jussi Jokinen from Carolina. Another player on Carolina who could be very helpful is Chad Larose. The Kings need a more legit and experienced fourth line that can skate a shift and depth is very important come playoff time.

Last season, Carolina dealt Yelle for a prospect and a late pick. They acquired a 3rd for Andrew Alberts. They dealt Corvo for a prospect, a 2nd round pick and an expiring NHL contract. Scott Walker was dealt for a 7th round pick. They also sent Aaron Ward to the Ducks for minor league goalie Justin Pogge and a conditional 4th.

The most significant deadline trade for them was sending Matt Cullen to Ottawa for dman Alexandre Picard and a 2nd and sending Niclas Wallin to San Jose for a 2nd round pick.

If Carolina finds itself out of the playoffs again, they are going to get anything they can for players with expiring contracts. They already dealt Tom Kostopoulos and Anton Babchuk this season.

For Tuomo Ruutu, the Kings would probably have to part with one of their top prospects in Manchester. I would imagine a package involving Oscar Moller and one of Thomas Hickey or Viatcheslav Voynov may land Ruutu in Los Angeles. And in a separate deal or as part of the package, I would include Davis Drewiske and a mid round draft pick to acquire Chad Larose.

Ruutu-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson/Lewis-Larose

There's a lineup that can really cause damage in the playoffs. And for those who aren't familiar with Ruutu or haven't seen him much, here's a good compilation that displays his talents:

Old
12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Jetteroheller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
With Lombardi having struck two trades with Jim Rutherford that seemed to have worked out rather well for both parties, I tend to think that they could possibly get together again and work on a trade that could land a winger to the Kings. They almost had a deal worked out last season as well for Ray Whitney.

I'd love to have Tuomo Ruutu or Jussi Jokinen from Carolina. Another player on Carolina who could be very helpful is Chad Larose. The Kings need a more legit and experienced fourth line that can skate a shift and depth is very important come playoff time.

Last season, Carolina dealt Yelle for a prospect and a late pick. They acquired a 3rd for Andrew Alberts. They dealt Corvo for a prospect, a 2nd round pick and an expiring NHL contract. Scott Walker was dealt for a 7th round pick. They also sent Aaron Ward to the Ducks for minor league goalie Justin Pogge and a conditional 4th.

The most significant deadline trade for them was sending Matt Cullen to Ottawa for dman Alexandre Picard and a 2nd and sending Niclas Wallin to San Jose for a 2nd round pick.

If Carolina finds itself out of the playoffs again, they are going to get anything they can for players with expiring contracts. They already dealt Tom Kostopoulos and Anton Babchuk this season.

For Tuomo Ruutu, the Kings would probably have to part with one of their top prospects in Manchester. I would imagine a package involving Oscar Moller and one of Thomas Hickey or Viatcheslav Voynov may land Ruutu in Los Angeles. And in a separate deal or as part of the package, I would include Davis Drewiske and a mid round draft pick to acquire Chad Larose.

Ruutu-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Ponikarovsky-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson/Lewis-Larose

There's a lineup that can really cause damage in the playoffs. And for those who aren't familiar with Ruutu or haven't seen him much, here's a good compilation that displays his talents:
Ruutu seems like a beast! Scores, Checks hard, Fights....I would be overjoyed if we managed to pick him up for prospects.

Old
12-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I went on the trade board awhile back and started a thread to gauge Carolina fans interest in dealing both Jokinen and LaRose to L.A. Didn't get too many replies but definitely two guys I'd target.

What about this? And I don't know if it's workable salary wise but I'd do Jack Johnson, Jarret Stoll, Oscar Moller and a 1st for Iginla, Conroy or Tommy K and a salary dump, Sarich maybe? Or Wayne Simmonds, Jarret Stoll, Calgary's choice of Alec Martinez/Thomas Hickey/Slava Voynov and a 1st for Iginla, Tommy K/Conroy and Kris Chucko.

Last edited by Reaper45: 12-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old
12-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Vitto79

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345050

Sturm deal may be closer

Old
12-11-2010, 09:14 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I went on the trade board awhile back and started a thread to gauge Carolina fans interest in dealing both Jokinen and LaRose to L.A. Didn't get too many replies but definitely two guys I'd target.

What about this? And I don't know if it's workable salary wise but I'd do Jack Johnson, Jarret Stoll, Oscar Moller and a 1st for Iginla, Conroy or Tommy K and a salary dump, Sarich maybe? Or Wayne Simmonds, Jarret Stoll, Calgary's choice of Alec Martinez/Thomas Hickey/Slava Voynov and a 1st for Iginla, Tommy K/Conroy and Kris Chucko.

Drunk posting???

Old
12-11-2010, 09:38 AM
MIDSHIPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

I'd love to have Ruutu but I just don't see Carolina dealing him. Right now they have 3, that's right 3 forwards signed to next year and Ruutu is one of them. The other(s) are obviously Staal and who would have quessed - Skinner the rookie. You take away Ruutu and that leaves Staal and Skinner. I don't think so. Yes they have RFA's but still. 3 forwards signed (they also only have 3 D-men signed too). They already have 9mil in cap space so why do they make the trade? More picks and prospects?

Old
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
MIDSHIPMAN

Yes, looks like Sturm is back on.

I'm going to post this in the armchair GM section too but I would target certain guys if I'm DL and at the top of my list are:
1. Semin - he's going to get a lot of money in the summer
2. Iginla - he won't be available until the trade deadline at the earliest is my guess
3. Leino - seriously Leino. He would be my first choice to get right now. The guy has skills. He's also tied for 3rd for the teams scoring lead and I don't see Philly being able to sign him this summer. He's older and since last years playoffs has really come around and is putting it all together. Could be a jem.

Other names to toss out there: Elias from NJ, Michalek (or worse Kovalev) from Ott.

I also wouldn't mind seeing DL look more towards a younger guy to bring up in the next year or two like: Filatov, Niederreiter (NYI are a mess), Kreider, Tangradi and last but not least the guy I was hoping we would pick at #15...Vladimir Tarasenko.

Closed Thread