HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Great footage of Bernie Parent in action

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2010, 01:26 AM
  #1
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Great footage of Bernie Parent in action

I am sure the older crowd on here remembers how great Bernie was back in his day.I figured i would post these clips i got off the Flyers page.For the younger crowd on here this may be the first time some of you have ever actually seen footage of an actual kick save before ?It may look archaic to some, but it was something to see live, and the Spectrum would really come alive when Bernie would get in his groove.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:44 AM
  #2
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,599
vCash: 156
The human wall.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 04:19 AM
  #3
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Awesome

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:31 AM
  #4
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
The stand-up style of goaltending always looks like the most difficult thing in the world. Every save seemed like an adventure - I don't think there was the phrase, "an easy night," until more goalies switched to the butterfly.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:07 AM
  #5
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
The stand-up style of goaltending always looks like the most difficult thing in the world. Every save seemed like an adventure - I don't think there was the phrase, "an easy night," until more goalies switched to the butterfly.
Yes i agree ! What was very interesting about Parent was that the net suddenly got very small the moment a shooter shot the puck, he had incredible reflexes, a wicked glove hand, and he played his angles better than anyone i have seen through the years.

Goalies Glove was very little compared to the ones used today, as were the pads etc.That old Cooper equipment was not light either.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
  #6
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Also a great and funny guy to meet in person. He's always at the games, getting people with a smile and a handshake. Bernie had modern gear on a couple times int he last few years, once at a carnival and another time in a photo-op with the new white jerseys. He said he doesn't understand how goalies can move with all that gear on, and when you see what he wore, you know why.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
  #7
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Bernie was great, bit it is always weird looking at older footage and see how much the game has become more of a crash and bang in front of the net since. We see a lot of shots from the outside here. Of course perhaps this is the video selection, since the stand-up style is of course better suited against such play, whereas the butterfly is better suited against close-range.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
  #8
panayiotis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
the best

Jacques Plante called him the best clutch goalie in the game. I believe he missed 76 cup finals. The series was very close. it would have been great to have Bernie against the habs.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:52 PM
  #9
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Yes i agree ! What was very interesting about Parent was that the net suddenly got very small the moment a shooter shot the puck, he had incredible reflexes, a wicked glove hand, and he played his angles better than anyone i have seen through the years.

Goalies Glove was very little compared to the ones used today, as were the pads etc.That old Cooper equipment was not light either.
When I was in 9th grade I was given a pair of the old Cooper pads to wear because I couldn't afford a new pair that actually fit me. Those things were ****ing heavy as hell.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:13 PM
  #10
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I am sure the older crowd on here remembers how great Bernie was back in his day.I figured i would post these clips i got off the Flyers page.For the younger crowd on here this may be the first time some of you have ever actually seen footage of an actual kick save before ?It may look archaic to some, but it was something to see live, and the Spectrum would really come alive when Bernie would get in his groove.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home
The save he makes at 26 seconds of this video is my all-time favorite. It isn't a great look at the save, but it was with just over two minutes to go in game 6 of the 74 Stanley Cup Finals. Ken Hode blasted a perfect slapshot from 45 feet, that was labeled for just inside the far post. It was the last real big save of the game.

Parent with an absolute classic kick-save, the kinds you never see anymore.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 12:52 AM
  #11
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Jacques Plante called him the best clutch goalie in the game. I believe he missed 76 cup finals. The series was very close. it would have been great to have Bernie against the habs.
Yes indeed ! and each loss was decided i believe by only 1 goal?.Although Bernies replacement [ i believe stephenson] played pretty good that series and it would not be fair to blame him for the series loss...The Habs played well !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:43 AM
  #12
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I am sure the older crowd on here remembers how great Bernie was back in his day.I figured i would post these clips i got off the Flyers page.For the younger crowd on here this may be the first time some of you have ever actually seen footage of an actual kick save before ?It may look archaic to some, but it was something to see live, and the Spectrum would really come alive when Bernie would get in his groove.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...id=DL|PHI|home
Four of us got together and got 2 season tickets in the lower level for years. Great times. I have always said that those two years were the best that I have ever seen a goalie play. How about when Bernie had to take a pee break during the first parade

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:54 AM
  #13
phillyflu
Registered User
 
phillyflu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
This thread just reminds me how the game has changed for the worse over the years.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:57 AM
  #14
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
When I was in 9th grade I was given a pair of the old Cooper pads to wear because I couldn't afford a new pair that actually fit me. Those things were ****ing heavy as hell.
Ain't that the truth!! When that deer hair got wet I had the same equipment that Bernie had even his sticks. But even that could not help me I gave it all away in 75 to someone who wanted to play and could not afford to buy new equipment. I got all that used equipment in 74 for a 60 bucks I still have my Black Panthers. They set me back $110.00 in 74

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:12 AM
  #15
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Yes indeed ! and each loss was decided i believe by only 1 goal?.Although Bernies replacement [ i believe stephenson] played pretty good that series and it would not be fair to blame him for the series loss...The Habs played well !
Stephenson gave up a 50+ foot goal in each of the four games. With Parent and MacLeish that series goes seven games.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.