HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tinordi not invited to World Junior camp

Old
12-10-2010, 10:16 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
A little challenge for fun: name a good North American defenseman that haven't played in WJC.
Duncan Keith?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...746/story.html

to ease your mind a little

be skeptical all you want. Im not prepared to make any quick judgments on a player 30 games into his first junior season.

Like last year when Leblanc was a bust, now he is a favorite in the WJC and looking like a solid prospect.

Just like Kristo was awesome, and now has fallen off the chart.

Be patient. He may or may not pan out, but that can be debated in 3-4 years.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Duncan Keith?
Mike Green?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:29 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Subban was born on May 13, 1989.
He has played in 2 WJC: 2008 and 2009
In January 2008, he hasn't reach 19 years old yet. Hence, we can say that Subban did play for Canada Jr at the age of 18.
Okay, i made the mistake of looking only at the year. But let's revisit this topic in 2 weeks and let's see how many 18 year-olds make this yankee team?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
newromanceforkids

guys, the USA have 8 returning players... coming off a gold medal...

if they had 2 or 3 players coming back and hadn't won gold, then maybe it would be more of a concern, but right now, i get it...

newromanceforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...746/story.html

to ease your mind a little

be skeptical all you want. Im not prepared to make any quick judgments on a player 30 games into his first junior season.

Like last year when Leblanc was a bust, now he is a favorite in the WJC and looking like a solid prospect.

Just like Kristo was awesome, and now has fallen off the chart.

Be patient. He may or may not pan out, but that can be debated in 3-4 years.
Didn't LeBlanc win ROY in the ECAC? Not sure why he would have at any point been considered a bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Mike Green?
Keith Yandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by newromanceforkids View Post
guys, the USA have 8 returning players... coming off a gold medal...

if they had 2 or 3 players coming back and hadn't won gold, then maybe it would be more of a concern, but right now, i get it...
Plus they had like 6 or 7 defensemen drafted(mostly from NDTP) in the first 3 rounds last June.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 12-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:44 AM
newromanceforkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Plus they had like 6 or 7 defensemen drafted(mostly from NDTP) in the first 3 rounds last June.
exactly

newromanceforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Et le But

Tindordi is a project. The Habs knew that when they drafted him. Give it a year before he's written off as a bust.

I care more about him improving his defensive decision making than becoming an offensive threat anyway.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
kernkraft

Well I'm sick of these "projects". Why can't Timmins just pick good players in the first round? So many other teams are. He's lucky he's so good after that first round.

Quote:
Yes, and Tinordi was.... the Captain of those d-men for crying out loud!!!

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Green has been in the NHL 5-6 years and his defense is still below average. Why do you think they left him off Team Canada despite being the top scoring NHL d-man?

Comparing Charra now with Tinordi now is ridiculous, at 18 Charra was more of a project than Tinordi is now, even at 19 he wasn't dminating the WHL.
I disagree, I think green can play D but just plays a high risk style. Canada didn't want that risk.

Regardless of what Chara was, what Chara is now...Tinordi will never be. It's not putting Tinordi down, it's just...c'mon, Chara's a beast, so hard to match that.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Well I'm sick of these "projects". Why can't Timmins just pick good players in the first round? So many other teams are. He's lucky he's so good after that first round.

Yes, and Tinordi was.... the Captain of those d-men for crying out loud!!!
Because he can get "good" players in later rounds, he choses to "swing for the fences" early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I disagree, I think green can play D but just plays a high risk style. Canada didn't want that risk.

Regardless of what Chara was, what Chara is now...Tinordi will never be. It's not putting Tinordi down, it's just...c'mon, Chara's a beast, so hard to match that.
He doesn't put in the effort and he is a below average defender. If he can play D, he hasn't showed it in the NHL. If he was on a bottom team he'd have some ghastly +- stats.

You don't think Tinordi can be a beat once his 6'7" frame fills out? He already has better mobility, imagine at 240-250lbs like Gill with mobility. I doubt Chra was a beat at 6'9" 195lbs.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 12-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
He doesn't put in the effort and he is a below average defender. If he can play D, he hasn't showed it in the NHL. If he was on a bottom team he'd have some ghastly +- stats.

You don't think Tinordi can be a beat once his 6'7" frame fills out? He already has better mobility, imagine at 240-250lbs like Gill with mobility. I doubt Chra was a beat at 6'9" 195lbs.
Perhaps not the same kind of monster. Know what I mean? He can turn out into a top 4 defensive D with size but he'll never be a Chara.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:15 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Because he can get "good" players in later rounds, he choses to "swing for the fences" early.

You don't think Tinordi can be a beat once his 6'7" frame fills out? He already has better mobility, imagine at 240-250lbs like Gill with mobility. I doubt Chara was a beat at 6'9" 195lbs.
But he hasn't: Chipchura, McDonagh, Leblanc and Tinordi were all "safe" picks. The only "swing for the fences" were Price and Fischer.

It's not because Tinordi is 6'7 that he's going to play in the NHL. Valabik, Mihalik, Pokulok, Finley etc. were all recent first-rounders around that height and major busts. The only two players of that height in the first round that worked out in the last ten years are Tyler Myers and Jeff Schultz.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I was actually surprised to see Fowler go as high as he did in the draft. He was kind of inconsistent in his play last year. That is not to say bad, just very inconsistent

His offense was good with 8 goals and 47 assists. But that left him 7th in the OHL for D men. His defensive play tended to be erratic at times. Not bad. Just not steady. Even some Windsor fans were second guessing him a little bit

What Fowler had coming into the league last year was a big Rep, and he was playing on a strong team

So before anyone starts beating GMs up for not trading up to get him, remember hindsight is 20/20
I'm very surprised he wasn't taken higher. But for similar reasons to what you mention I am surprised that he's doing so well by all reports and has made the NHL straight away like he did. I would have been ready to take him as a top-5 pick. His skill level was evident last year. However, as you say, issues with consistency, defensive play, physicality, would have led me to believe he'd be back for another year of junior, not excelling at the NHL level.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote