HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Dana White: UFC inks Japanese notable Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
http://mmajunkie.com/news/21705/dana...d-yamamoto.mma

just saw this

Old
12-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
My close friend makes his UFC debut in April, just got word this week. He is on his way to China this month for a tournament in January. He is currently the Canadian Muay Thai Champion. We just finished uploading some of his fights if you would like to take a look.
Thanks for sharing that. That is awesome about your friend going to the UFC. Best of luck to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not going to lie I am not looking forward to the WEC/UFC merger. Sure I want the WEC to get the credit they deserve, but there is already far too many guys in the UFC.

I think Dana White should've taken a page out of Vince McMahon's book and kept Pride and UFC separate. And then once a year or ever two years had a Pride vs UFC.
Yes I was hoping they would do the same thing at the time.

Also with WEC even if they wanted the top guys to fight UFC guys. They owned both companies so they could have done that. Like say have Henderson or Faber or Aldo come to the UFC for a fight or two and go back and forth. Not a fan of the merger either.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Forsburger

Edit

Last edited by Forsburger: 12-10-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old
12-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Oilerdiehard

UFC 124 Public Viewing Locations

Just thought I would throw this out for posters that want to attend a licensed public viewing of UFC 124 tomorrow night (at various bars, pubs, restaurants):

http://www.canadastarboxing.com/cstar-barnetwork.htm

This link is specifically for Alberta (but there are tabs for all the other provinces / territories at the top). Without counting I would guess there must be somewhere near 200 places with viewings in Edmonton and Calgary alone.

I did not realize that Boston Pizza was such a huge supporter of MMA in Alberta and across Canada. Kudos to them for stepping up and supporting this exciting sport.

Old
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Just thought I would throw this out for posters that want to attend a licensed public viewing of UFC 124 tomorrow night (at various bars, pubs, restaurants):

This link is specifically for Alberta (but there are tabs for all the other provinces / territories at the top). Without counting I would guess there must be somewhere near 200 places with viewings in Edmonton and Calgary alone.

I did not realize that Boston Pizza was such a huge supporter of MMA in Alberta and across Canada. Kudos to them for stepping up and supporting this exciting sport.
I'll be watching this one at a buddies house. Generally a lot cheaper, plus the whole drinking and driving is thrown out the window as I have a bed/couch to sleep on.

Old
12-10-2010, 05:11 PM
JBell84

Quote:

I swear BP was integral in the last five years of UFC fanbase development in Canada.. Alberta at least.

I worked closely with some BP promotional management around Calgary and saw the encouragement they got from the UFC to show their events. They took this partnerships very seriously.

The other thing I realized is how closely the UFC likes to control their image.. They were very vehement that the $10 door be mandatory to maintain the premium feel to their big events, but a lot of the restaurants throw free drinks with admission to get the night started

Old
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'll be watching this one at a buddies house. Generally a lot cheaper, plus the whole drinking and driving is thrown out the window as I have a bed/couch to sleep on.
Yeah UFC President Dana White has mentioned often that many of their PPV buys are guys just getting together at one house with some pizza and beer or whatever. It is a great way to go with the price of PPVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
I swear BP was integral in the last five years of UFC fanbase development in Canada.. Alberta at least.

I worked closely with some BP promotional management around Calgary and saw the encouragement they got from the UFC to show their events. They took this partnerships very seriously.

The other thing I realized is how closely the UFC likes to control their image.. They were very vehement that the $10 door be mandatory to maintain the premium feel to their big events, but a lot of the restaurants throw free drinks with admission to get the night started
Thanks for that, it gives a little more insight into how this whole thing works. BP seems to be a big time booster. I know when I was back visiting my parents last time. I seen a bunch of signs around Red Deer advertising viewing parties at various locations. I wonder if the UFC opening Canadian based operations / offices a couple years ago helped push the area along? Yeah the UFC seems to control their image very tightly all the way down to as you say BP viewing parties.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 12-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old
12-10-2010, 05:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yeah UFC President Dana White has mentioned often that many of their PPV buys are guys just getting together at one house with some pizza and beer or whatever. It is a great way to go with the price of PPVs.
It seems to work for us. Generally the girls make snacks and such so it really is a good evening. The bar isn't bad, but if there is 10 of you watching it and you do the math you will cry at how much cheaper it is to watch at home.

Old
12-10-2010, 05:33 PM
joestevens29

On the whole BP pushing UFC, I guess if you think about it who else would do it? I mean they do have a sports lounge going so it really falls into what they are about. This PPV also works well because of no Oilers game, so there really is no conflict for the BP's in Edmonton.

Old
12-10-2010, 05:36 PM
joestevens29

Oh ya, Shane Carwin is going to be at Uniton Hall tomorrow night and during the day he is at the Health store on 23rd ave by south common.

Old
12-10-2010, 05:57 PM
NGARV

Quote:

Hey, just looked through the list, none of those happen to be all ages places. Correct?

Old
12-10-2010, 06:11 PM
HemskytheBeaut

I have a question and I need some feedback. UFC is tomorrow and I want to order it. I'm new to shaw and I was wondering if it is as easy as going to shaw on demand and buying it there. I'm looking right now and I cannot see it - do they wait until tomorrow to have it available for purchase or nearer to when the fight starts? Appreciate any help

edit: I just noticed on my guide a banner on the bottom with GSP and Koscheck's picture. Can i buy it that way?

Old
12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskytheBeaut View Post
I have a question and I need some feedback. UFC is tomorrow and I want to order it. I'm new to shaw and I was wondering if it is as easy as going to shaw on demand and buying it there. I'm looking right now and I cannot see it - do they wait until tomorrow to have it available for purchase or nearer to when the fight starts? Appreciate any help

edit: I just noticed on my guide a banner on the bottom with GSP and Koscheck's picture. Can i buy it that way?
The easiest way is to go to the channel it's going to be played on, you'll see a little $ icon (or something of the sort)

I think it's 300 or somewhere in the neighbourhood

Old
12-10-2010, 08:21 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Cannot wait until the "bully gets bullied"

Old
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
HemskytheBeaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
The easiest way is to go to the channel it's going to be played on, you'll see a little $ icon (or something of the sort)

I think it's 300 or somewhere in the neighbourhood
Thank you, sir

Old
12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Spawn

Did anyone else watch the K1 World Grand Prix last night (12-5) I just finished it aftering having PVR'd it.

Overeem is now the tournament champion. He TKO'd Peter Aerts in the final fight in brutal fashion. Peter Aerts was rocky like in his fight against Semmy Schilt. But he ran into a beast in Overeem in the finals.

I'd love to see how Overeem would match up against Cain or JDS. Or Fedor obviously. His problem in the past was always his gas tank, but now that he's fighting at his actual weight opposed to cutting huge amounts to fight at 205 that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. He's obviously an amazing striker and he's got a very solid ground game. He's also allowed to use knees in the clinch in MMA which he is no longer allowed to do in K1 (can with 1 hand clinch). If that knee hits someone flush they're going to be done doesn't matter how strong their chin is.

Old
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Did anyone else watch the K1 World Grand Prix last night (12-5) I just finished it aftering having PVR'd it.

Overeem is now the tournament champion. He TKO'd Peter Aerts in the final fight in brutal fashion. Peter Aerts was rocky like in his fight against Semmy Schilt. But he ran into a beast in Overeem in the finals.

I'd love to see how Overeem would match up against Cain or JDS. Or Fedor obviously. His problem in the past was always his gas tank, but now that he's fighting at his actual weight opposed to cutting huge amounts to fight at 205 that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. He's obviously an amazing striker and he's got a very solid ground game. He's also allowed to use knees in the clinch in MMA which he is no longer allowed to do in K1 (can with 1 hand clinch). If that knee hits someone flush they're going to be done doesn't matter how strong their chin is.
I did not see it. But I seen Mauro Ranallo tweeting about that Aerts having an inspirational performance in the Schilt fight. Then of course Overeem winning the following fight.

Anyway I am definitely an Overeem fan. I hope he fights more in Strikeforce this upcoming year. They said he would fight more (2-3 times) this year but I think it was only once. Overeem is apparently now the only fighter to simultaneously hold titles in both K-1 and MMA.

Just added Mauro to my twitter the other day. He has actually been tweeting about hockey a fair bit. He mentioned when asked that he was previously an announcer for Junior hockey in B.C.

By the way he is calling for a GSP win by TKO in the 4th round. Just noticed reading back in his answers to people he says Overeem hopefully will be back in February against Werdum or Fedor.

Old
12-11-2010, 08:24 PM
GMofOilers

Dana with a preview to the opening tonight

forget how to embed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVhoqOl7plA

Old
12-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Took me awhile as well... just the yt tags and all you need is the character string after the '='. So in your case
[ yt ] aVhoqOl7plA [ / yt]

Old
12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
GMofOilers

Nevermind Soli explained it to me thanks!

Old
12-11-2010, 08:32 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
I'm a casual fan of MMA but I wan't to see this so bad!

I have the dumb ? of the day: Is it going to streamed online for free?

Old
12-11-2010, 08:37 PM
GMofOilers

Free Prelims live on ufc.com at 7

Old
12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
HemskytheBeaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post

Not a chance, with the permission of UFC at least

Old
12-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post

You can hope on ATDHE. Im not sure how awesome it's going to be when time comes. Im banking on it as well.

http://www.atdhe.net/30368/watch-ufc...-vs-koscheck-2

Old
12-11-2010, 08:49 PM
GMofOilers

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/493...-14th-December)

theres a few links in there but ill be buying it for sure. Cant miss this one

Closed Thread