HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's a guy to do???

Old
12-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

vCash: 500
What's a guy to do???

I've got a quick question here, I'm in a low level coed league, were one of the better teams in our division. Anyway the last couple of games we've been blowing the other teams out 7-0, 10-2 that kinda thing. I play defense and have gotten into the habit of just retreating behind our net to kill the clock for the remaining 1:30 or what have you. But I've been hearing it from the opposing team, they can ***** all they want, but is there something wrong with this? I guess the other alternative is to continue running up the score. Or dump the puck everytime I step over the redline. By why give up the puck and risk them scoring?

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Because it's a low level coed league and you're already winning 7-0, 10-2, or something like that so it doesn't really matter? Yeah, no one wants to give up goals but... you are paying to PLAY hockey right? Just play the puck; only three things can happen and all are part of the game: you score, they score, or no one scores.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:12 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Something's not quite right if you're trying to kill the clock with a 7+ goal lead. Just play it out. Are you really that worried they'll get 7+ goals in 1:30?

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:37 PM
doobie604

yeah play it out, give the noobs a chance.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:09 PM
nullterm

Even if you aren't taking scoring chances, atleast keep passing it around. Use it as a chance for your team to work on different plays.

People are paying to play for fun/exercise, so they want to keep the play going.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Razzmatazz

I would just carry it to the red line and dump it in to kill the clock, rather than play keep away, especially if they have no chance at tying it....in a close game, maybe the retreat is a better option, but not in a blowout.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I would just carry it to the red line and dump it in to kill the clock, rather than play keep away, especially if they have no chance at tying it....in a close game, maybe the retreat is a better option, but not in a blowout.
This.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd switch up forwards and D-men, pass three times, etc. We had a blowout situation last week and it's tough not to keep trying to score (for me anyways...I always want to score goals). But it depends on what the other team's doing, if they're fighting and playing hard and not getting cheap/chippy, keep playing. If they just give up, I'd probably not press as hard.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Something's not quite right if you're trying to kill the clock with a 7+ goal lead. Just play it out. Are you really that worried they'll get 7+ goals in 1:30?
Obviously not, but why add insult to injury? I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum, when were down by 5 goals and the other team is still crashing the net like they need to tie it up. I was trying to show some sportsmanship, but I think I'm just going to go ahead and keep playing next time, like someone else said you pay to play, there's 10 people on the floor watching me stickhandle behind the net, knowbody wants that.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd switch up forwards and D-men, pass three times, etc. We had a blowout situation last week and it's tough not to keep trying to score (for me anyways...I always want to score goals). But it depends on what the other team's doing, if they're fighting and playing hard and not getting cheap/chippy, keep playing. If they just give up, I'd probably not press as hard.
We tried that, we put the girls up front and had the guys play D, as soon as the puck dropped the girls took off on a 2 on 1 and scored, potted a second goal a minute or so later. What can you do?

Old
12-10-2010, 05:14 PM
doobie604

nothing wrong with scoring. when it's 5-1 would you stop scoring? 6-1 7-1 just keep on going if you can pot it. As long as you don't run the goalie or play like goones, the other team shouldn't have any issue with it.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:52 PM
blueberrydanish

Theyd prob rather have a chance at doing something/playin the puck rather than watchin you runnin around with it in your zone.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:58 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Obviously not, but why add insult to injury? I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum, when were down by 5 goals and the other team is still crashing the net like they need to tie it up. I was trying to show some sportsmanship, but I think I'm just going to go ahead and keep playing next time, like someone else said you pay to play, there's 10 people on the floor watching me stickhandle behind the net, knowbody wants that.
Yeah, I get what you mean. At that point maybe think about giving the other team the puck to do whatever they can in the end? Not obviously give it away so it's insulting but a dump or a 'missed' pass that goes down to them. Better to give everyone some more work playing (them with the puck, you guys on defense), instead of killing the clock with nobody doing anything.

You could keep playing score some more, or you could let up but that's slightly disheartening when the other team gets to that point. Neither of those are great in my eyes. I guess it depends on the team you're playing too. Some people would like you to play hard to the end, even if they get demolished, others would appreciate some help from you, haha.

Just my opinion, I haven't been in this situation yet, haha. We're just on the losing end of these games so far.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 06:52 PM
sbkbghockey

It's been already said, skating to the red line and dumping the puck, and/or passing a lot and working on your team's puck possession are other good options. It is some good hockey sense to take a little time with the puck behind the net, holding it there for 10 seconds til one of your teammates swoops back and picks it up is a good time waster but holding it there for 1:30 is a little frustrating.

In reality though, the other team is upset about getting blown out so they're going to complain if you hold behind the net, play keep away and pass a lot, or the worst option to run up the score with 2-3 more goals in the last 2 mins. No matter what your team does there's probably no 100% way to avoid them complaining about getting blown out.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 07:54 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Obviously not, but why add insult to injury?
Standing behind the net playing keepaway rather than hockey is insulting. Doing things nobody would ever actually do in any other game is insulting.

Challenging people to stop you may be a difficult challenge, but it's fun and it's the reason people pay to play hockey and then show up X games a season to do so.

Quote:
I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum, when were down by 5 goals and the other team is still crashing the net like they need to tie it up.
Obviously, that's pretty distasteful, too.....so how about a middle ground?

As a goaltender, I'd rather a team that's up by 10 goals come in on a clear breakaway and actually try to legitimately score on me than to just peel off into the corner because they're ahead by so much that they don't feel they need to play the game anymore. Just freaking challenge me! If I make a good save, I've got something small I can build on. If I miss it, we're down by 11 and now I've got something else I can learn for the next time. No need to charge into me with stick slashing if I make the save and leave a rebound briefly visible before covering it, but you can still actually play hockey.

Don't need to go hard into the corner boards with your elbows up. Don't need to clear the front of your defensive crease with a vicious cross-check. Don't need to be taking extra hacks at the goalie trying to push your lead to 8 goals. But surely you can just skate up in formation, make a few passes, and try to set up a screen/tip play from the point. Maybe work the puck around in the zone trying to find the open one-timer. Give ice time to the least experienced players on your team. Try to feed them the puck for shots as much as possible.

Quote:
We tried that, we put the girls up front and had the guys play D, as soon as the puck dropped the girls took off on a 2 on 1 and scored, potted a second goal a minute or so later. What can you do?
Fine. So they scored. Let them keep going. Surely you have your best players double-shift the last two minutes of a 1-goal game, so why not let your worst players double-shift the last two minutes of your blowouts. Let them keep playing. If their best still can't beat your worst, that's okay, too. At least keep trying. The other guys still are. So honor that effort with sportsmanlike effort of your own.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
SJGoalie32

And if you really are consistently blowing out some of these teams, how about next time if you just start the game that way. Put the girls all on one line together. Switch the lines. Nobody plays their normal position. Increased ice time to those who would benefit from it the most.

If your league is anything like any other co-ed league I've ever played in, the scoring opportunities for most girls are few and far between. Whether because they have to play defense, or because they usually end up on a line with a linemate whose skill completely overshadows their own.

Let the players who never skate with the puck skate it up. Feed the puck to players who never get to shoot, much less score. Make your worst players kill off your penalties. They're never going to improve on the PK if they're always on the bench for them, and there is no teacher like experience. And if you only win by 3 goals? So be it. Everybody else is better off for it now, the game is more fun (the girls get a GWG instead of a meaningless garbage goal), you don't look like a tool.....and there's less of a likelihood of someone on the opposition who's so sick of being humiliated on the scoreboard that he takes too much offense to one play and decides to exact some personal revenge.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
And if you really are consistently blowing out some of these teams, how about next time if you just start the game that way. Put the girls all on one line together. Switch the lines. Nobody plays their normal position. Increased ice time to those who would benefit from it the most.

If your league is anything like any other co-ed league I've ever played in, the scoring opportunities for most girls are few and far between. Whether because they have to play defense, or because they usually end up on a line with a linemate whose skill completely overshadows their own.

Let the players who never skate with the puck skate it up. Feed the puck to players who never get to shoot, much less score. Make your worst players kill off your penalties. They're never going to improve on the PK if they're always on the bench for them, and there is no teacher like experience. And if you only win by 3 goals? So be it. Everybody else is better off for it now, the game is more fun (the girls get a GWG instead of a meaningless garbage goal), you don't look like a tool.....and there's less of a likelihood of someone on the opposition who's so sick of being humiliated on the scoreboard that he takes too much offense to one play and decides to exact some personal revenge.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:52 PM
noobman

Go for some pretty passing plays. If nothing else, take an easy shot on the goalie and let him feel a little better about getting shellshocked.

If you guys are killing the other teams, maybe it's time for you to move up a division.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:
I've got a quick question here, I'm in a low level coed league, were one of the better teams in our division. Anyway the last couple of games we've been blowing the other teams out 7-0, 10-2 that kinda thing. I play defense and have gotten into the habit of just retreating behind our net to kill the clock for the remaining 1:30 or what have you. But I've been hearing it from the opposing team, they can ***** all they want, but is there something wrong with this? I guess the other alternative is to continue running up the score. Or dump the puck everytime I step over the redline. By why give up the puck and risk them scoring?
Out of curiosity, why doesn't your team move up? If you guys are consistently stomping other teams, then give your entire team a challenge (and allowing the other teams to have more even match ups) by moving up in division.

If your team doesn't want to move up, then I would just play the puck and not retreat behind the net.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Out of curiosity, why doesn't your team move up? If you guys are consistently stomping other teams, then give your entire team a challenge (and allowing the other teams to have more even match ups) by moving up in division.

If your team doesn't want to move up, then I would just play the puck and not retreat behind the net.
We've been stuck in this division for awhile, due to the fact that our goalie plays on about 8 other teams (each one in a different division) since goalies are always at a premium we've stayed in the lower division, instead of finding a new goalie.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:07 AM
SouthpawTRK

Yeah, it's definitely tough to find a good goalie in a lot of the beer leagues. Hopefully, you'll guys find a new goalie that will allow your team to move up.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
to me I would take it as an insult if my team wasn't worth you bring ing the puck out then I would not be happy especially since I'm taking time out from spending time with my family to play the game I love I don't want someone cutting me short. I believe and people may disagree but you should have enough respect for the other team to not let up. Persona;;y though If I'm down by 7 I'm not letting anybody stand behind the net and kill time sorfards not to start putting pressure on and chase you out, make you play the game

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Wooty

I think dumping the puck in a blowout is the right thing.

I have played D on awful awful teams where every game was a blowout and always felt much happier at the end when the other team was just dumping it. After a few they would even let you try to move it out across neutral ice.

It made it much more fun for all I think.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 02:52 AM
densetsu

Quote:
We've been stuck in this division for awhile, due to the fact that our goalie plays on about 8 other teams (each one in a different division) since goalies are always at a premium we've stayed in the lower division, instead of finding a new goalie.
What does playing on multiple teams have to do with anything? Unless you're saying he plays in all eight divisions in the league and league rules forbid a goalie from playing on two teams in the same div.

Personally, I pity this goalie. I played in a similar situation with a team for two seasons, I was bored out of my mind standing alone in my crease. Having more than 10 shots against was a luxury. Scores like 13-1 were common. The first season, we won the championship easily. League rules say we have to move up a division, but our rep begged to stay down (he was "worried about being overwhelmed in a higher division"), and we did. We won the championship again, and most of the guys seemed euphoric both times, but to me they were pretty hollow wins.

And guess what? Me and a couple other guys put pressure on the team rep, we moved up four divisions, and we're doing just fine. In this div we're slightly above middle of the pack, so we're not guaranteed a championship, but it's *way* more fun to be challenged.

And going on a tangent, maybe I just don't have the connections, but it's the opposite here. It's hard for a goalie to find a team, not the other way around. I did just fine in a div 3 team, but when that team folded I asked around but couldn't find any spots except for the aforementioned div 8 team. I subbed for a lot of other teams, but they all had starting goalies, so this div 8 team was my full-time team. I'm *very* glad we're in div 4 now.

Last edited by densetsu: 12-12-2010 at 03:00 AM.
densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 05:28 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
And going on a tangent, maybe I just don't have the connections, but it's the opposite here. It's hard for a goalie to find a team, not the other way around. I did just fine in a div 3 team, but when that team folded I asked around but couldn't find any spots except for the aforementioned div 8 team. I subbed for a lot of other teams, but they all had starting goalies, so this div 8 team was my full-time team. I'm *very* glad we're in div 4 now.
Probably even worse for you as a goalie. As a forward or defenceman, atleast you can jump into the play. But if you're a 'tender and your skaters are constantly owning the play then I'm guessing you don't see alot of action or quality shots. That'd be boring as heck after a few games I'd imagine.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote