HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too little too late (Habs lose 4-2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Can't argue with their 5-on-5 play tonight. Very pleased.

Honestly wasn't expecting a win tonight, so leave Toronto with the 2 tomorrow and I'll be happy.

Old
Flambergius

vCash: 500
That was winnable, but I can't really find it in me to be angry about the loss. Too many soft penalties in the first, pretty bad second period, good effort in the third. Pretty fun game, actually.

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 200
5 men on the ice is too many when you're playing Detroit apparently!

The linesman was probably like "oh **** 5 people better call a penalty since they've been shorthanded on chince calls all night"

"OOps they weren't shorthanded, oh well not big deal"

Old
phoque taupe

Marinaro 'je pense pas que Lars Eller sans la rondelle est un joueur de la NHL.'

Old
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I am talking about his entire game and you came back to blame him for 1 play? WOW, Hang a guy for 1 play? ok so I guess you are a perfect man, never made and never will make a mistake ever,,,, Ladies and Gentlemen we have for the new GOD on earth
Thanks for noticing. I am perfect, but my wife never seems to mention it.

PK was benched for irresponsible play...like that. There were several others I could mention, like being the first skater leaving our zone and pinching outside the blueline, while Detroit maintained possession of the puck. The kid is a great talent, but he has to learn how to play the position. So?...Perfect?

Old
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
he was awful tonight..missing open nets, stupid dump ins - a la gomez with no one in site to retrieve it etc...he played dumb
Yep, I agree. I forgive him though since he's been pretty awesome in the other games.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
He seemed particularly pissed at how Holmstrom kept crosschecking gill in price on the powerplay
Haha I found that very weird. I've seen the D do that to the forward but never the other way.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
**** I'm so sick of this "to be honest, we weren't the better team for the majority of the night" mentality.

Do some of you just not understand how momentum goes? These people are HUMAN. Tides of momentum affect them.

The refs SINGLE-HANDEDLY decided the outcome of this game. We were playing pretty ****ing well for the majority of the first until the penalties started.

And don't get me wrong, all of them were penalties (with the exception of Gionta's which has still yet to be proven to me, I still haven't seen a replay showing that we had 6 men on the ice and I find it extremely hard to believe that a guy with Gionta's smarts who was CLEARLY watching the play behind him to make sure that it wouldn't be a too-many-men call would still take a penalty). The problem comes when you miss a blatant penalty on Rafalski and then put the whistle away in the 3rd when we're actually dominating. There should've been AT LEAST 5 PPs for the Habs in the 3rd with the way the refs were calling this one.

My point is, we easily could've been the better team in this one as shown by the first 10 or so minutes and by the 3rd. When you get 5 penalties in a row, it changes the way you play.

1) Your best players are tired from the PKing.
2) Your scorers aren't "in it" because they haven't played in 40 or so minutes (stoppages, intermission...). This was proven on the 2nd goal when Eller's line was on for a GA. They were flat out there.
3) You have no cohesion because everyone's level of focus is off because of the score.

Put it this way: we DOMINATED the Devils 5-1 in NJ. Do you HONESTLY not think that the first 2 minutes of that game didn't dictate the score and the level of domination? Don't you think that it would've been a MUCH closer game if we hadn't scored those 2 goals right away?

**** you, refs.

/rant
We took 4 offensive zone penalties that were deserved, that's just lazy play. Had we not spent the majority of the first two periods standing still, this wouldn't have been a problem. Sure the refs could've called the game a little more consistently but that doesn't change the fact that we brought most of it upon ourselves.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Please read my explanation above. Thanks
Dont care about your explanation. The fact is the momentum changed based off of legit calls for the most part which is Montreals fault. The fact is the middle 30 minutes of there game was there own undoing.

I don't think Detroit necessarily was the better team for the entire night, in fact they mailed in the third period nor do i think the refs were good.

Blaming the refs completely is HORSE CRAP. They weren't good but Montreal had there chances to overcome it and came up short.

It was a game where both teams played about 30 minutes but unfortunately the refs were poor as well and Montreal got the short end however you can't completely excuse the way they played either.

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post
Marinaro 'je pense pas que Lars Eller sans la rondelle est un joueur de la NHL.'
How many sets of stairs did his mum fall down while she was pregnant with him?

Old
jcpenny

This team needs a game breaker on offense.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Scott Gomez?

Old
12-10-2010, 09:14 PM
andy28

I thought the reffing was bad, but that is a part of the game you have to take into account. Ottawa probably felt like they were robbed by the refs the other night as well. There were definately some calls that should have been made on the Wings, in the third especially, considering how tight the reffing was against our guys in the first half.

But that is all part of the game. And good teams have to find ways to win despite that. The Habs played pretty well in the third. But you also have to consider some of the chances Detroit missed. I know we had our chances too, but when they want to they can easily make mincemeat of a team's defence with their incredibly passing. Still we played well, and despite a loss, this game should give us a bit of hope, and ultimately I hope it might inspire Gauthier to invest in bringing in some more talent this season. If we can bring in a solid D man and a top 6 forward that would be amazing.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
sukimono

Quote:
The guy has mastered french no question about it

Old
Mister Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
We took 4 offensive zone penalties that were deserved, that's just lazy play. Had we not spent the majority of the first two periods standing still, this wouldn't have been a problem. Sure the refs could've called the game a little more consistently but that doesn't change the fact that we brought most of it upon ourselves.
Agree, we can't blame the refs for the calls we got but we should point out the non-calls on the Wings in the 3rd period.

Old
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post

No man its da refs falt. Dey screwed us over. We have no weakness. Had we gotten more powerplayzzzzz we wood have won.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Megaforce

Glad to see Subban back. I think he's incredible. His play on that power play in the 2nd period was amazing, he kept the puck in like 4 times and then set up a beautiful pass for a one timer.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:17 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
I don't agree. He had a couple of tough shifts, but I can remember at least three plays where he had solid defensive postioning and kept the Wings from having odd man rushes.

He was playing the wings and I thought he toughed it out well.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:17 PM
JayBee*

Martin just took a shot at the refs. He's right.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:18 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Scott Gomez?
Seriously thats all this team is missing even without Markov. Seeing Datsyuk make everybody look stupid and change the game with one play made me realize that. You can see that the Habs area very well coached team, great team play, awsome goalie but we lack that Game Breaker that can change the game in one shift. Kovalchuck Type.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:18 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Martin just took a shot at the refs. He's right.
What did he say?

Old
12-10-2010, 09:19 PM

I don't remember which Wings player it was, either Cleary or Holmstrom, but on the PP...there was so much interference on Price, his stick ended up getting caught in Price mit

I'm not one to complain about officiating, but tonight it played a factor in a close game....even a Wings' fan has to admit that.

Oh well, liked how the Habs played when they were at even strength and were allowed to play some hockey...this loss will hurt less depending on if they rebound vs. Leafs

I'm a bit worried about how tonight's frustration could affect tomorrow's game.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Guilliam

Just trying to look on the bright side, The game is tie 2-2 on 5 on 5.

Edit : without Markov and Gomez that is...I know I'm too positive I should get depressed and want to trade everyone...

Old
12-10-2010, 09:23 PM
RE-HABS

I hate to play the referee call. But, we had some legit calls like the lazy Cammalleri hook and others, but Pleks short handed call and the too many men were cheap. Not to mention Moen and Lapierre were being mauled in the last 5 minutes by the Red Wings and no calls.

Habs showed they are for real playing with the big boys in Detroit for the 1st and 3rd periods. the last second goal was a boost for the Wings in the 1st heading to the 2nd, not to mention the PP chances.

If this game is even in PP opportunities or more 5 on 5, I say the Habs flat out win with our skating and depth.

This team is one top 6 player and maybe another Dman away from contending.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:23 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Thanks for noticing. I am perfect, but my wife never seems to mention it.

PK was benched for irresponsible play...like that. There were several others I could mention, like being the first skater leaving our zone and pinching outside the blueline, while Detroit maintained possession of the puck. The kid is a great talent, but he has to learn how to play the position. So?...Perfect?
I agree. The thing is no one is actually out to hang PK. We all want him to do well. And he is truly amazing in some ways. The kid is very athletic and I have no doubt that he has a lot of talent. But he has to pick his battles a lot better. It's possible that the reason he does some of the stuff he is doing is innocent enough, and not at all cocky. Maybe he feels pressure to accomplish a great deal in the game. But he takes way too much on his shoulders. I like his offensive style but the balance between loose cannon and smart defensive play is still a bit off.

Closed Thread