HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Patrick Marleau Appreciation Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

vCash: 500
Getzlaf is fat by choice. He's trying to make people look at his beer belly as opposed to his head.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
People's entire basis of saying Marleau has some ghastly gut is the intermission shots of the boys in the room. In general, it's them seeing Marleau sitting down. That has been shown the past few seasons and Marleau has had that the entire time they've shown that shot.
Nope. It was a shot of him walking and it was nasty!

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:08 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Quote:
People's entire basis of saying Marleau has some ghastly gut is the intermission shots of the boys in the room. In general, it's them seeing Marleau sitting down. That has been shown the past few seasons and Marleau has had that the entire time they've shown that shot.

First of all, it's not a shot that tells the story anyway. Secondly, whether you want to say he has a gut or not, it's not his problem...his problem is his aggressiveness lacking.

People are just looking for an excuse to bag on him and pile on while he is sucking ass.
He was standing with his shirt off, and it was bad enough for several of us to comment on it.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Uh, no. That is not where the gut's origin came from in terms of taking shots at Marleau. You should know better than anyone David as it was pointed out last year and less so the year before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
He was standing with his shirt off, and it was bad enough for several of us to comment on it.
Oh no so several of you commented on it. That must mean it's really an issue.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:37 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful_Dodger View Post
I'd appreciate it if you stopped sucking ass. Thanks.
I detect lulz.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Uh, no. That is not where the gut's origin came from in terms of taking shots at Marleau. You should know better than anyone David as it was pointed out last year and less so the year before.

Oh no so several of you commented on it. That must mean it's really an issue.
I am talking about this year. I've never commented on his gut until I saw it this season; same with everyone else in this thread. There aren't many people whose stomach looks good sitting down. Thornton is in a worse shape than last year too with his near saggy breasts. I guess that's why he wears shirts this season.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:49 PM
WTFetus

Quote:

First of all, it's not a shot that tells the story anyway. Secondly, whether you want to say he has a gut or not, it's not his problem...his problem is his aggressiveness lacking.

People are just looking for an excuse to bag on him and pile on while he is sucking ass.
I haven't been bagging on Marleau. I'm actually with you on this one and have been supporting him lately. However, you are wrong about intermission. This season there were several shots of him standing in front of his locker or wandering around the room.

Also, people aren't necessarily using his gut as an excuse of why he's been sucking a lot lately. It's more of an argument for him not being as fit as he usually is after off-seasons, which then could be interpreted in multiple ways.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:59 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Fatty Patty is still by far the fastest skater on this team... i just don't know where he's been skating, cause it hasn't been around the puck.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This.

I think it was preseason but I don't remember which game. It was a wide shot from a fixed camera in the locker room between periods before cutting to a commercial. Patty was walking toward the camera with his shirt off gut jiggling like a bowl of jello. He took up half the left side of the screen so there was no guessing about it. It was almost as bad as looking at me in the mirror.

The import of the picture is that one of the leaders who was previously recognized as being one of the most fit coming into camp, clearly took the summer easy. That is in contrast to the prior year when the entire team came into camp in a foul mood and ready to play. The team effort was consistent from every player last season in almost every game.

This season the entire team has never seemed to be ready for the regular season: Win a game, lose a game. Get behind in the score and then start to skate. Its effort that is lacking and Patty can't be singled out as the only one lacking in that. Boyle, Thornton, Clowe, Pavelski, Heatley ... all our top players have had their lapses and so its not fair to single out Marleau as the problem. He isn't alone this time. For this team to win, they are all going to have to make the decision to start playing from the drop of the puck.

12-10-2010, 10:42 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

Found the thread. 11/6 game vs Tampa

Quote:
After seeing Patty without a shirt on, If Wallin is the Hamburgler, then Patty is Grimace.
Actually, that was a really funny thread. We talked about the beer gut until we were sidetracked by a Couture goal. It was the first time Nem used the dancing Couture graphic too.

Last edited by SonomaShark: 12-10-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old
12-10-2010, 10:49 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Dear Patrick,

Your wife is the one who is supposed to get preggers, not you.

Sincerely, HF Boards.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Found the thread. 11/6 game vs Tampa
It was earlier in the game:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post28788021

Old
12-10-2010, 10:58 PM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

Quote:
This was actually one of the best GDTs in a long time. It was the first game with all the Free Joe stuff.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
This was actually one of the best GDTs in a long time. It was the first game with all the Free Joe stuff.
I loved how Joe used Pronger Physics argument to explain the hit.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

IN all seriousness, get Patrick away from Lil' Joe. They're not working well together.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:24 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
I loved how Joe used Pronger Physics argument to explain the hit.
“How tall is he... 5' 9"?”

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:58 PM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

This is a screencap from a game last year.

Unfortunately, I deleted the Tampa game or I would cap the other shot of Patty.

Have to say, there was something weird about that "gut". My daughter and I did a double take because he was only fat in a ring around his belly. Muffin-top like when your jeans are too tight.

We both commented that something was pushing his skin up because it looked unnatural. It wasn't like a beer belly or a gut that you usually see on an out of shape dude. And how could he be fat in just that one area?? IDK but I check Patty out enough (I'm not ashamed) and the only time I've gotten the "fat" impression was that one video.

His confidence is shot right now and that's obvious. But personally I don't think he sucks as bad as you all like to make out and I don't think his problem is being out of shape.

NorCalJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Jesus Toews*

To reiterate what others have said before, he's going through a slump just like he does every year and just like every star in the NHL does at some point over the course of the regular season. Marleau is a bit streakier than average but when he's on, he's still one of the best two-way threats in the world. This has nothing to do with fitness level and I'm of the opinion that the shot from the Lightning game was just an unfavorable camera angle.

Jesus Toews* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:06 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJen View Post
His confidence is shot right now and that's obvious. But personally I don't think he sucks as bad as you all like to make out and I don't think his problem is being out of shape.
Well yeah. I think most of us would agree that Patty's always been inconsistent to some degree that this isn't really anything new. Even if he was fit, he'd still go through slumps throughout the season. However, that's not to say he isn't out of shape because he's clearly not as fit as he usually is.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:07 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
This has nothing to do with fitness level and I'm of the opinion that the shot from the Lightning game was just an unfavorable camera angle.
But like other said, he was walking to the camera during some intermission clips and there was some noticeable jiggle.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:09 AM
rangerssharks414

I think Marleau will get it going eventually, but when the Sharks are paying him almost $7M, he can't disappear like this. When Marleau is on, he's really good. When he's going through a slump, he's just as bad.

Hopefully, he can get it going soon. I really think his contract has something to do with this though.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:14 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Hopefully, he can get it going soon. I really think his contract has something to do with this though.
It could be, but I doubt it. Marleau was just as invisible last season as he is now, except this season it's earlier. I don't know the exact numbers, but Marleau's goals per game percentage took a steep dive after he was announced as an Olympian.
Maybe he just promised his kid they'd go to Disneyland during the All-star break so he's taking it easy.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:22 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It could be, but I doubt it. Marleau was just as invisible last season as he is now, except this season it's earlier. I don't know the exact numbers, but Marleau's goals per game percentage took a steep dive after he was announced as an Olympian.
Maybe he just promised his kid they'd go to Disneyland during the All-star break so he's taking it easy.
I remember he was crap going into the Olympics... but I just chalked that up to nerves or whatever. What's weird is that last season he was golden in December, I swear he had like 15-16 goals in December alone, and a good January... huh, his good-streak coincided with Nabby's... Coincidence? I think not

Although despite being teammates for ten years I never got the impression that Nabby and Patrick were ever more than teammates.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:29 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
But the Sharks didn't win the Cup.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Artful_Dodger*

Marleau's gut/non gut is teetering on its own appreciation thread. Teetering.

Artful_Dodger* is offline   Reply With Quote