HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Quebec Invades The Island

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500

Should have a bit of an attendance bump on Saturday:

mirtle
Wow. 23 busloads of Quebec Nordiques fans are going to crash the Islanders game on Saturday: http://aol.it/fpyAqb

Assuming 50/bus (average), that's around 1150 folks.

Old
12-10-2010, 03:56 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

1,100 hundred strong going to Long Island from Quebec. Will this make a statement?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344972

Old
12-10-2010, 04:18 PM
17*

Interesting idea, but won't make much of a difference to the BOG. Not until QC has an arena and can demonstrate corporate support.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Finnish your Czech
I Love Jared Cowen

vCash: 50
it would be funny if the isles were playing the avs

Old
12-10-2010, 04:26 PM
17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
it would be funny if the isles were playing the avs
True, but I think the message they are trying to send is that a team in QC would get better support than either the Islanders or the Thrashers. The AVs get good support.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I'm not familiar with the Atlanta situation so I can't comment on it.

Isles attendance has been historically low this year (or is on its way to be) because Wang raised ticket prices after a 26th and 30th place finish, the team is 1-15-3 over it's last 19 games, and fans are just completely against Wang and Snow. There have been people wearing paper bags around the NVMC all year. More Fisherman jerseys than I've ever seen. Even some Wang Must Go chants sparingly. It's not that Long Island can't support a franchise. It just won't support Wang and won't support another losing season.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

1,100 strong? I think there is going to be more than 1,100 Islanders fans to attempt to counter the Nordiques assault.

I remember 23 buses being booked to that end... if not more.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Bob1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
1,100 strong? I think there is going to be more than 1,100 Islanders fans to attempt to counter the Nordiques assault.

try to bring 1100 to another city for a NHL game!!!!

Old
12-10-2010, 04:37 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post

The article states 1,100 Nordique fans with tickets. The math can debated with the TSN staffers.

My thoughts go a bit deeper than the article delves. Does this make a stronger message to the NHL or perhaps does it give Wang more ammo in his efforts to get a new arena built? Can Wang now say.. hey look, we could lose this franchise if we don't act?

Old
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Bob1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
The article states 1,100 Nordique fans with tickets. The math can debated with the TSN staffers.

My thoughts go a bit deeper than the article delves. Does this make a stronger message to the NHL or perhaps does it give Wang more ammo in his efforts to get a new arena built? Can Wang now say.. hey look, we could lose this franchise if we don't act?
It will be 1100 in a trip with a compagny
but many more will go with their car

Old
12-10-2010, 04:45 PM
GreatCanadian

It is an interesting idea. Mind you, like others have said, it seems like the Islander fans are simply "protesting" the owner, not necessarily lacking fans.

Cool idea though I applaud the city's efforts to get a team. They are showing the league/fans that they are TRUE hockey fans. That is never a bad thing!

Old
12-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
for the record, the tickets only cost $20. They will have good seats too.

btw, we should expect to an announcement about the new amphitheater from the Quebec City mayor in January.

Old
12-10-2010, 04:54 PM
GreatCanadian

Quote:

Exactly. The situation is a win-win for the league, really.

Old
12-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Jeffrey93

This is good because it will shove the media in the faces of Bettman & Daly even more. Bettman will have to answer questions about this...which I just KNOW he hates...so I like it.

Old
12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 View Post
Interesting idea, but won't make much of a difference to the BOG. Not until QC has an arena and can demonstrate corporate support.
You can never start too early with stuff like this. If the league allowed the Ottawa Civic Center, Cow Palace, and Expo Hall to be used as NHL facilities, there shouldn't be a problem with the Nords playing out of Le Colisée for a season or two.

Also, something like this is sure to grab the attention of stakeholders related to the Quebec arena project, and get them off their arses to put shovels in the ground.

Old
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
GreatCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
You can never start too early with stuff like this. If the league allowed the Ottawa Civic Center, Cow Palace, and Expo Hall to be used as NHL facilities, there shouldn't be a problem with the Nords playing out of Le Colisée for a season or two.

Also, something like this is sure to grab the attention of stakeholders related to the Quebec arena project, and get them off their arses to put shovels in the ground.
I agree. This will kick-start that arena deal. They might not need that 175-mil from the Feds after all (not that they would get it..)

Mind you, you would not want to move a team to Quebec City BEFORE they broke ground on a new rink. Imagine the situation that the team moves to the Le Colisée "temporarily", and the new arena just fizzles out. An NHL team with a 55+ year old facility would be Bettman's big, scary nightmare to end all nightmares.

Old
12-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Faltorvo

This is a fantastic move IMO.

Ever little bit helps.

I heard on the radio that the trip is only costing $200 and there is time allotted to check out NYC.

One can only hope that this catches on and maybe a repeat of it at a strategic time would be in the works.

Old
12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
I agree. This will kick-start that arena deal. They might not need that 175-mil from the Feds after all (not that they would get it..)

Mind you, you would not want to move a team to Quebec City BEFORE they broke ground on a new rink. Imagine the situation that the team moves to the Le Colisée "temporarily", and the new arena just fizzles out. An NHL team with a 55+ year old facility would be Bettman's big, scary nightmare to end all nightmares.
Worse still, they build a new $450M and never get a team, Copps Coliseum II.

Old
12-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
I'll say it for the 1 000 000 th time:

The Colisée is falling appart, it was built in the 40's!

If we had a team, they couldn't play in it more then a few years or we'd constantly have fans and players getting injured by pieces of the roof and ceiling falling on them and partial collapses of sections of the concrete foundations that haven't seen the light of day for 70 years. If we dont built a new one now, in 5 to 10 years max the city inspectors are closing it for being unsafe!

We need this arena, it's not normal for a city our size not to have a decent arena! In the worst case scenario, we could have an AHL team like Hamilton! But the Colisée is done!

And I wish a lot of fun to those who are going to New-York, hopefully nobody gets assaulted by a drunk Islanders fan (or gets drunk and assaults an Islanders fan)

Old
12-10-2010, 09:01 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I'll say it for the 1 000 000 th time:

The Colisée is falling appart, it was built in the 40's!

If we had a team, they couldn't play in it more then a few years or we'd constantly have fans and players getting injured by pieces of the roof and ceiling falling on them and partial collapses of sections of the concrete foundations that haven't seen the light of day for 70 years. If we dont built a new one now, in 5 to 10 years max the city inspectors are closing it for being unsafe!

We need this arena, it's not normal for a city our size not to have a decent arena! In the worst case scenario, we could have an AHL team like Hamilton! But the Colisée is done!

And I wish a lot of fun to those who are going to New-York, hopefully nobody gets assaulted by a drunk Islanders fan (or gets drunk and assaults an Islanders fan)

I can vouch for this. I was at Le Colisee during the Canada cup in '91. I thought the roof would cave in every time Lindros stepped on the ice.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Grrrowlman

So now you want to STEAL THE TEAM from Atlanta Again? We sent you one before and you let them fold after Two Years, Two Years. Pryer to that you had Quebec Citadelles and they folded After what 3 years?

-The Atlanta Knights became the Quebec Rafales (French for "gust of wind"), after relocating to Quebec City, Quebec, and took residence at the Colisée de Québec. The team drew well in 1996–97 one year after the NHL Quebec Nordiques departed Quebec City for Denver, Colorado. The next year, after trading some of their best players, such as goaltender Stephane Beauregard, the team didn't reach the postseason. The owners did not realize the expected profit and folded the team after only two seasons in Quebec.

-You had an AHL TEAM Quebec Citadelles Quebec City 1999–2002 what is that 3 years

Old
12-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
I'll try to find the article...but the Hamilton Spectator recently celebrated Copps Coliseum's birthday with an article showing how busy of a building it has been and the records it has set.

Good thing they didn't pony up the extra bucks for those "NHL Amenities" up-front eh?!?!

The MTS Centre has the head-start on being "Copps Coliseum II"....although it's smaller and people wouldn't look at it as an NHL arena housing an AHL team....they look at it as an AHL arena hoping to house an NHL team.

Found the article!

Some highlights:

Quote:
More successes would follow — among them Michael Bublé, The Who, Britney Spears, Rush, Aerosmith, Cher, The Dixie Chicks, Rod Stewart, Pearl Jam, Alan Jackson, Reba McEntire, Kings of Leon and The Grateful Dead. Many would sell out Copps multiple times. All in all, Copps has hosted 266 major concert events during its 25-year run. On average that's 10.6 a year. Last year, the number was 22.

For those keeping score, Bruce Springsteen's 2008 concert was the biggest grossing show in terms of revenue, reaping more than $1.9 million in ticket sales, followed by Elton John ($1.76 million), Shania Twain ($1.73 million) and U2 ($1.5 million). Twain, however, holds the attendance record. With her unique “in-the-round” stage, Twain was able to put 18,573 fans in seats. Springsteen drew 18,254.
Keep in mind....the venue housed many local events and was home to an OHL team or AHL team through most of its life thus far. Limiting the available dates. Copps Coliseum was even home to the 'Hamilton SkyHawks'...a professional basketball team.

more....

Quote:
Copps hosted the Junos five times, helping build the music awards into a nationally televised success story. Grammy organizers even sent a delegation up to Hamilton from New York in the '90s to see how we managed to turn a small awards show into a megaconcert event.
You can read more of the highs and lows here.

It hasn't been all rosey...but a massive state-of-the-art building constructed on Ziegler's promise of an NHL franchise has done pretty well for itself. And to this day it is still capable (with designed for renovations) of being NHL calibre..

If anyone is interested here is an article showing Copps Coliseum's major events link.

Anyway.....if a new building in Quebec is 75% as successful as Copps Coliseum has been....Quebec will be fine. The difference is I believe the City of Hamilton was the primary funder of Copps Coliseum. They weren't asking for for a few hundred million from the federal government. City owned and city operated...(so far)....and it was something Hamilton required, NHL team or not. If an NHL team shows up in the next 10 years Copps Coliseum could be renovated (relatively easily) to be suitable for many years......this building was WAY ahead of its time. Overall a solid investment for Hamilton.

In the end....if Quebec needs a new rink...they need it. Much like Hamilton did. Although Hamilton's only other venue when Copps Coliseum was built was nothing more than a 'local rink' seating under 7,000.

I can understand how Quebec City needs a new 'venue'. But until a tenant arrives.....the Colisee is just fine. Just like Copps Coliseum (although much bigger and much better) will be fine for Hamilton until a team shows up. And when it does...it will still be more than fine for several years.

Ahhhhh.......

Old
12-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
I can vouch for this. I was at Le Colisee during the Canada cup in '91. I thought the roof would cave in every time Lindros stepped on the ice.
I understand how Quebec fans feel about him....but if Ownership could have hung on for one more year....Lindros would have won the Nordique the Stanley Cup. He GREATLY benefited that team by refusing to play there.

Plus, from what I have read and heard from him.....I don't blame him for not going to Quebec. Ego played a bit of a role....and I get that, nobody likes athletes that do that. However, Lindros had a pretty solid point. He would have been just fine playing in Junior until he was eligible for the draft again.....he followed the rules.

Old
12-11-2010, 04:30 AM
DieselBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrowlman View Post
So now you want to STEAL THE TEAM from Atlanta Again? We sent you one before and you let them fold after Two Years, Two Years. Pryer to that you had Quebec Citadelles and they folded After what 3 years?

-The Atlanta Knights became the Quebec Rafales (French for "gust of wind"), after relocating to Quebec City, Quebec, and took residence at the Colisée de Québec. The team drew well in 1996–97 one year after the NHL Quebec Nordiques departed Quebec City for Denver, Colorado. The next year, after trading some of their best players, such as goaltender Stephane Beauregard, the team didn't reach the postseason. The owners did not realize the expected profit and folded the team after only two seasons in Quebec.

-You had an AHL TEAM Quebec Citadelles Quebec City 1999–2002 what is that 3 years
Okay so you type up some gibberish in your first paragraph, if you want to call it that. Then you copy and paste the second paragraph from god knows where. And then to top it off you basically just summarize your first paragraph nonsense. AHL... how is that even relevant? Those teams fold all the time.

Look I'm not saying Quebec should be the frontrunners to grab a team like ATL if they were to move, I'm just... well could you just please refrain from writing on an internet forum again. Cheers.

Old
12-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Reality Check

What a D-bag move

They might want to cut off alcohol earlier than usual. As this could get ugly.

But I won't feel sorry if those "friendly prostesters" just happened to be pelted with batteries and showered with a few beverages.

Closed Thread