HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Roller Hockey in South FL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2010, 01:03 PM
  #1
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Roller Hockey in South FL

Anyone getting a game together? Here's a thread to recruit some heads...

Sugarsand Park in Boca, between Palmetto Park and Camino on Military Trail, has people show every Wednesday night around 8:30.

...anywhere else?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
  #2
Hip to be Square
 
Hip to be Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Anyone getting a game together? Here's a thread to recruit some heads...

Sugarsand Park in Boca, between Palmetto Park and Camino on Military Trail, has people show every Wednesday night around 8:30.

...anywhere else?
Sugarsand gets really hot in the summer (no overhang) but i imagine it's great now cause of the weather. There's a park on palmetto park road west of 441 (state road 7).. Has a rink with an overhang. Problem is the surface is damaged (kids skateboarding on it, melting wax on it) and people steal the hockey nets often. Also, we had a group out there every sunday but i'm not sure of that anymore cause i haven't been there. Lazy, pansy soccer players play fifa street style games on the inline rink too. Yeah, i know. It's ridiculous.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
  #3
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,867
vCash: 536
jesus I would love to go but I live close to the airport, imagine how far that is from me...I checked once in the Miami-Dade parks website, and there is literally like 1 park which is fit for roller hockey, and its maybe 2 miles from FIU which is where I go for my classes..supposedly they play there, when or how many people show up I have no idea, I have to go check it out and ask...

but yet again I have a feeling most people here live outside of Dade county so..

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:20 PM
  #4
TimHortons
Gud Night
 
TimHortons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Anyone getting a game together? Here's a thread to recruit some heads...

Sugarsand Park in Boca, between Palmetto Park and Camino on Military Trail, has people show every Wednesday night around 8:30.

...anywhere else?
Good idea and I would join you guys but the trip would be pretty far since I don't live in FLA anymore.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:28 PM
  #5
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,867
vCash: 536
ok, so I just checked FIU has a roller hockey team, and they train in Goodlet Park, Hialeah...so obviously it seems like a park adequate enough for it, I'll go and check it out after I'm done with school which would be today...dunno if anyone would be interested in the place, although I looked through google earth/maps and it looks rather nice



Last edited by Panteras: 12-10-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
  #6
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Sugarsand gets really hot in the summer (no overhang) but i imagine it's great now cause of the weather. There's a park on palmetto park road west of 441 (state road 7).. Has a rink with an overhang. Problem is the surface is damaged (kids skateboarding on it, melting wax on it) and people steal the hockey nets often. Also, we had a group out there every sunday but i'm not sure of that anymore cause i haven't been there. Lazy, pansy soccer players play fifa street style games on the inline rink too. Yeah, i know. It's ridiculous.
We tried that one when it was raining the other day. No nets.

Sugarsand is where it's at as far as what I've found (that isn't an indoor, organized, mucho $$$$ rink)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:19 PM
  #7
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
Are there any indoor adult leagues down here?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:43 PM
  #8
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Are there any indoor adult leagues down here?
Sports Mall, SW corner of 10th and Powerline in Deerfield Beach...there's also indoor Futbol.

Panteras, that looks awesome, makes me want to play so bad!

People should show up...would be interesting as hell to see everyone play together, especially after how we all talk about the pros.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:46 PM
  #9
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Sports Mall, SW corner of 10th and Powerline in Deerfield Beach...there's also indoor Futbol.

Panteras, that looks awesome, makes me want to play so bad!

People should show up...would be interesting as hell to see everyone play together, especially after how we all talk about the pros.
. I played there a year ago and it was called action academy and was really poorly run. I think they may have gone out of business. I would be down to play one night at sugarsand.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 06:51 PM
  #10
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
. I played there a year ago and it was called action academy and was really poorly run. I think they may have gone out of business. I would be down to play one night at sugarsand.
Hell yeah! Next if not next Wednesday, the next two are holiday week Wednesdays!

Great group of guys, no cheap shots, always a fun skate. Friends welcome, more the merrier, more changing too.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
  #11
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
There's a park on palmetto park road west of 441 (state road 7).. Has a rink with an overhang. Problem is the surface is damaged (kids skateboarding on it, melting wax on it) and people steal the hockey nets often. Also, we had a group out there every sunday but i'm not sure of that anymore cause i haven't been there. Lazy, pansy soccer players play fifa street style games on the inline rink too. Yeah, i know. It's ridiculous.

I've played on that rink before...sucks to hear that it's in that condition now. That's the problem with outdoor rinks...no control on public misuse.

Up here in Asheville NC, we have one outdoor rink and I'm the commissioner for our Adult League. When League games aren't in session, I often have to kick the soccer players, skate rats and (believe it or not) WoW reenactors off the rink. The only non-hockey folks authorized to share the rink are the Blue Ridge Roller Girls team.

Unfortunately, no one can protect it 24 hours a day, but I've found the best way to minimize misuse is to encourage pick-up games and practices.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
  #12
16Skippy
Registered User
 
16Skippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I've played on that rink before...sucks to hear that it's in that condition now. That's the problem with outdoor rinks...no control on public misuse.

Up here in Asheville NC, we have one outdoor rink and I'm the commissioner for our Adult League. When League games aren't in session, I often have to kick the soccer players, skate rats and (believe it or not) WoW reenactors off the rink. The only non-hockey folks authorized to share the rink are the Blue Ridge Roller Girls team.

Unfortunately, no one can protect it 24 hours a day, but I've found the best way to minimize misuse is to encourage pick-up games and practices.
hahahahaha that just made my night!

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:50 PM
  #13
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,867
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Sports Mall, SW corner of 10th and Powerline in Deerfield Beach...there's also indoor Futbol.

Panteras, that looks awesome, makes me want to play so bad!

People should show up...would be interesting as hell to see everyone play together, especially after how we all talk about the pros.
well, like I said I'm gonna go check it out when I have a chance, I actually have a net in my house and I practice from time to time but it's hard to get people to play since I only have 1 friend who likes hockey and he doesn't even know how to skate, I mean I'm not good either but I can hold my own

either ways I don't have high hopes since most people here don't live in the Miami-Dade area from what I see so...

really sucks though, I wish I could play

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 01:49 AM
  #14
fortunerox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
www.sunilandhockey.org has a rink way down south (by me) on us1 and sw 152nd st.

FIU (south campus) has a rink also.

The FIU rink is pretty neglected and the surface need polishing, no nets and holes all in the boards. The suniland rink, where I play is decent, nice nets good boards, decent surface but its locked most of the time, we play almost every weekday night. Not sure if anyone else on here is this far south but we could use a few more players in the league.

fortunerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 03:16 AM
  #15
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunerox View Post
www.sunilandhockey.org has a rink way down south (by me) on us1 and sw 152nd st.

FIU (south campus) has a rink also.

The FIU rink is pretty neglected and the surface need polishing, no nets and holes all in the boards. The suniland rink, where I play is decent, nice nets good boards, decent surface but its locked most of the time, we play almost every weekday night. Not sure if anyone else on here is this far south but we could use a few more players in the league.
i also play in that league. what team are you on??

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:43 PM
  #16
Panteras
perennial loser
 
Panteras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Television sky
Country: United States
Posts: 6,867
vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunerox View Post
www.sunilandhockey.org has a rink way down south (by me) on us1 and sw 152nd st.

FIU (south campus) has a rink also.

The FIU rink is pretty neglected and the surface need polishing, no nets and holes all in the boards. The suniland rink, where I play is decent, nice nets good boards, decent surface but its locked most of the time, we play almost every weekday night. Not sure if anyone else on here is this far south but we could use a few more players in the league.
ohh wow I didn't even know we had a rink dude, but the roller hockey team doesn't train there though, according to their website they train in the park I posted above..

would you be willing to up to FIU? I have a net, I dunno if anyone else has a net ?

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
  #17
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
hey guys n gals, don't want to hijack the thread, but i didn't want to start a new one either.

i made a topic a few months ago called "shinny". i just moved to Florida a while back and couldn't get on an ice hockey team up here...and am having a really tough time finding shinny to play.

i got the schedule for the one arena on Federal Hwy (lighthouse point or something...don't remember the arena name) but i can't make it out to them. they play through the week at noon (i work til 2) and weekends they play at 10pm (dad works...only have the one vehicle), so i'm not sure how i can get out and play. sucks!

does anyone else play at a different time at another arena near Ft Lauderdale/Pompano? any info is greatly appreciated, as i'm dying to play. thx

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:19 PM
  #18
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
hey guys n gals, don't want to hijack the thread, but i didn't want to start a new one either.

i made a topic a few months ago called "shinny". i just moved to Florida a while back and couldn't get on an ice hockey team up here...and am having a really tough time finding shinny to play.

i got the schedule for the one arena on Federal Hwy (lighthouse point or something...don't remember the arena name) but i can't make it out to them. they play through the week at noon (i work til 2) and weekends they play at 10pm (dad works...only have the one vehicle), so i'm not sure how i can get out and play. sucks!

does anyone else play at a different time at another arena near Ft Lauderdale/Pompano? any info is greatly appreciated, as i'm dying to play. thx
Glacier Ice and Snow is the Pomano/LighthousePt. rink......from there, travel south on FederalHwy/US1 and turn right(west) onto Sample Rd. and go as far west on that road as possible and you'll hit the Panthers practice spot...

Glacier is the only eastern rink I know of...

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
  #19
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Glacier Ice and Snow is the Pomano/LighthousePt. rink......from there, travel south on FederalHwy/US1 and turn right(west) onto Sample Rd. and go as far west on that road as possible and you'll hit the Panthers practice spot...

Glacier is the only eastern rink I know of...
thanks. do you play there? if so, what's the pace like?

i don't care either way since i'm a goalie, but just curious.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
  #20
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
thanks. do you play there? if so, what's the pace like?

I don't care either way since i'm a goalie, but just curious.
I play at both spots when I can, no constant team, a lot of subbing.
Sometimes we'll be bored, other times it'll be a blast...never under-estimate the old guys.

..off to Sugarsand, we apparently have two goalies!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
  #21
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Great skate tonight, two goalies, 10 players a side...everyone fair and unselfish as hell about line changes...

WHO'S COMING NEXT WEEK??

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:30 AM
  #22
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Great skate tonight, two goalies, 10 players a side...everyone fair and unselfish as hell about line changes...

WHO'S COMING NEXT WEEK??
Where'd you play? Sugarsand?

Let me know next time you play! We're playing tomorrow with a few of us that used to play a couple years ago. It's up in boynton though. But i'm always looking for playing time.

Of course, i go back to Tampa in a couple weeks, but still...

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 08:21 AM
  #23
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Where'd you play? Sugarsand?

Let me know next time you play! We're playing tomorrow with a few of us that used to play a couple years ago. It's up in boynton though. But i'm always looking for playing time.

Of course, i go back to Tampa in a couple weeks, but still...
Yep! Next Wednesday at 8:30...guaranteed two goalies even if I have to abandon my ice/goalie-roller/forward system.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
  #24
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Yep! Next Wednesday at 8:30...guaranteed two goalies even if I have to abandon my ice/goalie-roller/forward system.
Cool, i'll be there and might bring a few guys as well.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 01:36 PM
  #25
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,974
vCash: 500
For the sugarsand crowd. Any chance you guys want to or will play tomorrow?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.