HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Too little too late (Habs lose 4-2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 10:55 PM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If the third and fourth line were doing well, then it wasn't a depth problem. They were doing well because they were working hard, being physical, crashing the net. Wich is something even the best Red Wings forwards can do. The guys on our first two lines cannot do that, except Moen. Gio tries to do that sometime but cannot because of his size.
Exactly.They grinded. For me depth goes through all the lines 1-4. We have an excellent bottom six imo and if Pleka was assigned the Datsyuk line there's a 2nd line missing that could have picked up the slack. We didn't have it. We didn't have one all year. It's a glaring hole and Gomez' absence opens it wide open (as bad as he already was).

Its a testament to the system to hang in there with a powerhouse lacking as much firepower as we did. But again, I don't think size and grit was the problem. If it was, the third period would have played out differently.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
KerryFraser

I critisized Pouliot a lot last year, but this guy make me eat my words this season. Great game tonight for him and his linemates.

Penalties killed us tonight. It was the kind of game that we needed our grinders to be on the ice most of the time against their bottom lines. Our top lines had too much to do for stopping Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom and the rest, for having a lot of chance to score and they took too much penalties.

An half of bad game, and an other half of good play. Well, the good thing is, we play tomorow night, so the tonight game can be classified rapidly in the case "game to forgot".

Learn Again, go to Toronto and beat them!

Last edited by KerryFraser: 12-10-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old
12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsman56 View Post
First time we've allowed 4 goals this season in regulation.
4th goal was EN... so it shouldn't really count.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Great game. At one point, some people had a whole lot to say negatively about our wins against top teams this year for all sorts of reasons. Well that lost surprisingly can be seen as positive. We were extremely competitive against a top team in their house. And that after being so stupidly undisciplined which made us lose our momentum.

I can't be dissapointed by that game. Let's hope the real letdown won't happen tonight...

Old
12-10-2010, 11:55 PM
KristoLeblanc*

The refs were awful.

Borderline call on Cammalleri and Plekanec.

In the third, between 4 mins and 1 min left in the game, they could have call plenty of penalty when we where all over them.

After that, Red Wings fans complain about ref when they play the Pens, go figure.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Doc McKenna

I was at the game and even the wings fans while happy to win said we got jobbed by the refs big time. How was that obstruction not called with a few minutes left in the third. Reffing was a ****ing disgrace.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:22 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
He was going to call a penalty until another ref came by and told him what had happened. How is that bias? The ref clearly didn't see what had happened, and the call was corrected. How often do sticks get caught in gloves?
How is that bias ?? just like you said, ref didnt see what happened but was about to give a penalty to Price anyway...

can it be more clear than that ? really...

Old
12-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Doc McKenna

The worst thing about wing fans are they are poor winners. Even the people around me at the Joe knew it was a crap job of reffing. They where happy for the win same as we were against Ottawa the other night, But that was awful reffing. Regardless of some of the "lets be nice " crowd around here.
Then we get wing trolls in here saying we didn't play well enough and deserved every call. BS and why not call the game fairly. If you want to call ticky tack stuff then how about any of the numerous infractions that went unpenalized in the third.

Habs look like a contender and nothing would make me happier than putting our boston pittsburg philly and finally sweeping detroit in the playoffs to win the cup.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Hades

Frustrating yet great game today. I really think the refs handed the Wings the win but it was still entertaining. I wish we played them more often (The Red wings, not the refs ). The borderline calls and the ignored calls were very frustrating though. Still a good game, great effort and heart by our Habs.

Old
12-11-2010, 12:48 AM
costathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
People saying Detroit played better need to take off their red glasses. Both teams played half the game. Wings got one more goal and that's it. Move on.
i agree but i think whithout all this penalty we outplayed the wings at 5 vs 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I'm not so sure.[/I] We stunk donkey balls for the 1st and 2nd, you guys played a great shutdown game for the most part.
we dominate the first 10 minute of the game. they control the second and we ******* THE THIRD so we definetly deserved better.

Old
12-11-2010, 01:10 AM
acemobile

Send a message via MSN to acemobile
The Habs were better team on the ice.. Unfortunately they were shorthanded the entire game with the wings always getting 2, and late in the 1st 4 addition players on the ice.

Horrible giveaway by Pouilliot cost the game winning goal.

Old
12-11-2010, 01:34 AM
PK76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I got a big kick out of Pouliot's goal. You don't see 'em like that much anymore, it looked like vintage Lafleur.
Yeah it was definitly a boulette canon!

Old
12-11-2010, 02:01 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
overrated team. That is all.
We're missing Markov, Gomez, AND Detroit is the best team in the league. Losing tonight doesn't mean we're overrated.

Old
12-11-2010, 03:22 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

All in all, it was a pretty even game. Both teams tend to share the same philosophies in many aspects, and the atmosphere was almost playoff like.

I wasnt a huge fan of the call on plekanec which lead to the 5 on 3. I dont ever remember a tap on the stick ever causing the opponent to lose balance and fall over. Thats one that the official will look over after the game and realize that he made a mistake. I'm sure it looked more vicious in real time, though... oh well.

Anyways, if the ref got that call right, pleks would have had a grade A chance to make it 2-0. Instead, the red wings score in the last second which completely changed the dynamics of the game. It took the habs a full period to get the momentum back, but I was impressed by their push back. The habs owned the 3rd period for the most part, but it was a shame that the refs didn't hold the same rigid standard of officiating that they had in the first, because they would have got a couple power plays out of it.

Anyways, I firmly believe that the calls tend to even out during the course of the season. They got the short end on this night, but at least it was an entertaining game.

Old
12-11-2010, 04:36 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
All in all, it was a pretty even game. Both teams tend to share the same philosophies in many aspects, and the atmosphere was almost playoff like.

I wasnt a huge fan of the call on plekanec which lead to the 5 on 3. I dont ever remember a tap on the stick ever causing the opponent to lose balance and fall over. Thats one that the official will look over after the game and realize that he made a mistake. I'm sure it looked more vicious in real time, though... oh well.

Anyways, if the ref got that call right, pleks would have had a grade A chance to make it 2-0. Instead, the red wings score in the last second which completely changed the dynamics of the game. It took the habs a full period to get the momentum back, but I was impressed by their push back. The habs owned the 3rd period for the most part, but it was a shame that the refs didn't hold the same rigid standard of officiating that they had in the first, because they would have got a couple power plays out of it.

Anyways, I firmly believe that the calls tend to even out during the course of the season. They got the short end on this night, but at least it was an entertaining game.
I dont believe for one second that the refs care that they made a mistake or ten. It's not a cup final, they dont make 5 mil per year, everybody hates them and they just dont give a ****.

Old
12-11-2010, 05:29 AM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it. And the penalty on Cam wor disgusting too... I mean to call a hook that lasted .5 seconds, which didn't slow down or impacted Datsyuk at all, after two straight pps no less, is inexcusable. You have to use some judgement. Then Rafalski went flying into the boards for no apparent reason as you said... So I figured okay they're calling a tight game we're gonna get a few opportunities of our own if we work hard enough... and then they hide their whistles.

Old
12-11-2010, 06:19 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
they dont make 5 mil per year, everybody hates them and they just dont give a ****.
so true.

Old
12-11-2010, 07:39 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
We're missing Markov, Gomez, AND Detroit is the best team in the league. Losing tonight doesn't mean we're overrated.
I was talking about Detroit.

Old
12-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I saw this as a "coming down to Earth" game where the lack of size and grit on our first two lines was showing against a great team. The grinders were getting most of the chances and that is why Martin put Cammy with Lapierre and Pyatt and it almost lead to something.
Seriously?

How was that a "coming down to earth game"?

The penalities were a factor...PP's being 6-1 against another top team, that will make a difference, if it was in our favor we probably win the game. You acn either blame our guys for taking bad penalities(Too many men, Cammy, Pleks) or the refs for calling them one way(in the 1st and early 2nd) but not the other(second half of the game, knee on Pleks, cross check on Boyd, boarding on Moen, numerous obstruction not called mostly on Lidstrom)...to me penalities were the biggest difference.

Price kept us in it early, Howard kept them in it in the 3rd when we completely dominated. If anything that game showed we can play with Detroit, our 3rd and 4th lines outplayed theirs, the Boyd and Eller lines had as many chances as the Halpern and Pleks one.

Old
12-11-2010, 07:54 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
I saw this as a "coming down to Earth" game where the lack of size and grit on our first two lines was showing against a great team. The grinders were getting most of the chances and that is why Martin put Cammy with Lapierre and Pyatt and it almost lead to something.
To me, this was a playoff game. Our lack of size/toughness in the top 6 will kill us.

Old
12-11-2010, 08:05 AM
shortcat1

I wonder what Detroit'll be like when some of their older players are gone.

Holmstrom (37), Lidstrom (40) & Rafalski (37)are nearing the end of their time.

Datsyuk (32) & Franzen (31) are still young, I know, but they're reaching a time where injuries may become more of an issue for them.

Though they're minor players on the team, Draper (39) & Salei (36) and maybe Bertuzzi (35) are getting up there.

That's lots of terrific talent and experience and the Wings are justifiably reaping the benefits of that.

Nevertheless, who's going to replace them? Abdelkader, Helm, Hudler, Ericsson & Kindl?

I don't think so.

I'm guessing that, in about three (four at the most) years, Detroit'll be mainly Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard. They'll be accompanied by a bunch of mid-talented role players. Something like the Penguins but with two 'Sydney Crosbys'.

(By the way, THE up and coming team seems to be the Flyers. The Kings, the Oilers, the Coyotes(?) & the Bruins are also potential contenders in the 'who's gonna be more of a threat in the next few years' category.

Our boys will get better, I imagine, but certainly not to the extent of the Flyers unless they get some ridiculously unexpected developments from their existing prospects and/or unexpectedly terrific draft picks and/or some really talented players unexpectedly decide to come over to our team without blowing away the cap.

That's all OK 'cause this is fun, whatever happens.)

Last edited by shortcat1: 12-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old
12-11-2010, 08:10 AM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it. And the penalty on Cam wor disgusting too... I mean to call a hook that lasted .5 seconds, which didn't slow down or impacted Datsyuk at all, after two straight pps no less, is inexcusable. You have to use some judgement. Then Rafalski went flying into the boards for no apparent reason as you said... So I figured okay they're calling a tight game we're gonna get a few opportunities of our own if we work hard enough... and then they hide their whistles.
The worst missed call happened about 20 seconds before Pouliot scored. One of the Detroit defencemen didn't have a stick so Bertuzzi threw his stick from the top of the slot to the defenceman without the stick. It wasn't even a subtle throw. It went high in the air and was over the heads of the players at one point. When an automatic penalty like that is ignored it reflects poorly on the referees.

Old
12-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
To me, this was a playoff game. Our lack of size/toughness in the top 6 will kill us.
If that was the case why did we dominate them in the 3rd? That's a ridiculous comment if I ever heard one.

Old
12-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Taupy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I wonder what Detroit'll be like when some of their older players are gone.

Holmstrom (37), Lidstrom (40) & Rafalski (37)are nearing the end of their time.

Datsyuk (32) & Franzen (31) are still young, I know, but they're reaching a time where injuries may become more of an issue for them.

Though they're minor players on the team, Draper (39) & Salei (36) and maybe Bertuzzi (35) are getting up there.

That's lots of terrific talent and experience and the Wings are justifiably reaping the benefits of that.

Nevertheless, who's going to replace them? Abdelkader, Helm, Hudler, Ericsson & Kindl?

I don't think so.

I'm guessing that, in about three (four at the most) years, Detroit'll be mainly Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard. They'll be accompanied by a bunch of mid-talented role players. Something like the Penguins but with two 'Sydney Crosbys'.

(By the way, THE up and coming team seems to be the Flyers. The Kings, the Oilers, the Coyotes(?) & the Bruins are also potential contenders in the 'who's gonna be more of a threat in the next few years' category.

Our boys will get better, I imagine, but certainly not to the extent of the Flyers unless they get some ridiculously unexpected developments from their existing prospects and/or unexpectedly terrific draft picks and/or some really talented players unexpectedly decide to come over to our team without blowing away the cap.

That's all OK 'cause this is fun, whatever happens.)
But... he's the next Lidstrom! [/2008-2009]

Old
12-11-2010, 09:13 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Tired of the lack of size comment. Take off Lidstrom and lets say Detroits number 2 center and see how they perform. Habs played marvelous when they werent killing penalties. I didnt see any problem with size in that game, we danced in their zone at will. Take off all the Wings PP shots and this game is a domination by Montreal. If we couldnt get puck possession and be able to get scoring chances i would agree but it just wasnt the case. Lack of discipline killed us plain and simple, size got nothing to do with it.

Closed Thread