HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec Invades The Island

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2010, 05:56 AM
CorbeauNoir

vCash: 500
Again I have to ask, WHY does QC need a 400/450-million dollar arena in the first place? The Penguins' new arena is completely state of the art, suposedly has more seating than this proposed arena would, and still is only about 3/4 the cost. Why not propose a cheaper arena? The Feds would be less reluctant to fund it. Hell, they already have something like half of the funds needed as-is, don't they? Why not just build a 250mil arena and leave the Feds out of it entirely, or just ask the Feds to contribute whatever they feel would be appropriate and consider the extra cash a bonus for upgrading features?

Something about the price tag for this arena just seems completely off-base and I've never really come across anything that explains why it needs such a ridiculously enormous budget.

Old
12-11-2010, 06:02 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
What a D-bag move

They might want to cut off alcohol earlier than usual. As this could get ugly.

But I won't feel sorry if those "friendly prostesters" just happened to be pelted with batteries and showered with a few beverages.
How is it a d-bag move? The tickets are freely available, they have every right to purchase them and attend the game. The message is that they're passionate about hockey and want a team - you make it sound like they're going to kidnap Tavares and hold him hostage.

Old
12-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Again I have to ask, WHY does QC need a 400/450-million dollar arena in the first place? The Penguins' new arena is completely state of the art, suposedly has more seating than this proposed arena would, and still is only about 3/4 the cost. Why not propose a cheaper arena? The Feds would be less reluctant to fund it. Hell, they already have something like half of the funds needed as-is, don't they? Why not just build a 250mil arena and leave the Feds out of it entirely, or just ask the Feds to contribute whatever they feel would be appropriate and consider the extra cash a bonus for upgrading features?

Something about the price tag for this arena just seems completely off-base and I've never really come across anything that explains why it needs such a ridiculously enormous budget.
The price wouldn't be 400 / 450 millions,

it'd be 320 millions to a 400 millions maximum according to the cities plans.

Here's why it costs more then 250 mil:

1. The Canadian dollar might be worth as much as the American dollar, but stuff still costs 20 to 30% more here (due to the higher costs when the Capital was imported, higher importing costs from other countries then the US, etc...).

2. The construction market is booming in Quebec city, hundreds of house are constantly built, and where there were fields 4 years ago, there are huge suburbs. At the opposite, the US construction market is in the middle of a cash, so all their costs are lowered.

3. We're in Canada, so everything costs more because of taxes. (so a part of that 320 will go back to the govs)

4. We do not want to build a cheap arena like the MTS center that will have to replace soon, no we want one that will last another 70 years.

That explains the 28% or more markup on the Pittsburgh price.

And PS, the reason the Citadelles left is because that damned arena was falling on the player's heads and Hamilton was much more attractive for the team. The arena isn't up to AHL standards, much less NHL!

Old
12-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:

Project is currently evaluated at 360M$

Old
12-11-2010, 10:32 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
What a D-bag move

But I won't feel sorry if those "friendly prostesters" just happened to be pelted with batteries and showered with a few beverages.
Dude... really? This is what you really think? Dude... The Islanders love this. I bet they'll even add Poutine to the menu at the concessions. They're just happy that someone wants to come to the games.

Old
12-11-2010, 10:34 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
you make it sound like they're going to kidnap Tavares and hold him hostage.
Hey... let's not forget the last time Quebecers 'organized'... FLQ.... War measures act... Let's not start giving anyone ideas now.

Old
12-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

For $400M there would be 21,273 seats so the actual costs would hover around $350M.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:09 AM
VelvetJones

******** move. You don't walk into someone's house and threaten to steal from them.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:16 AM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetJones View Post
******** move. You don't walk into someone's house and threaten to steal from them.
It's not the Islander's they're after... it's the Thrashers. It just works out for them since NY is relatively close, it's an arena that has a lot of empty seats and it would cost them a lot less to purchase tickets.... and they host the Trashers to boot.

Regardless, a threat from fans to "steal" a team isn't really a threat. They have no power.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:21 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
It's not the Islander's they're after... it's the Thrashers. It just works out for them since NY is relatively close, it's an arena that has a lot of empty seats and it would cost them a lot less to purchase tickets.... and they host the Trashers to boot.

Regardless, a threat from fans to "steal" a team isn't really a threat. They have no power.
Let's be honest, it's both of them, as well as a few other teams. I think it's a bold move but I like bold. Go Nordique nation.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Grrrowlman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Let's be honest, it's both of them, as well as a few other teams. I think it's a bold move but I like bold. Go Nordique nation.
The Bold thing to do would be to come to Atlanta and in our Arena and say it to our Faces. That would be bold, this just seams like a high school thing to do like they are going behind some ones back. So I invite the Elephant Nation to Atlanta and say it to our faces and do this in our Barn.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:46 AM
polarslam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Here's why it costs more then 250 mil:

1. The Canadian dollar might be worth as much as the American dollar, but stuff still costs 20 to 30% more here (due to the higher costs when the Capital was imported, higher importing costs from other countries then the US, etc...).

2. The construction market is booming in Quebec city, hundreds of house are constantly built, and where there were fields 4 years ago, there are huge suburbs. At the opposite, the US construction market is in the middle of a cash, so all their costs are lowered.

3. We're in Canada, so everything costs more because of taxes. (so a part of that 320 will go back to the govs)

4. We do not want to build a cheap arena like the MTS center that will have to replace soon, no we want one that will last another 70 years.
5. The Quebec Construction Industry has a teeny tiny reputation for over inflating costs...

Old
12-11-2010, 11:48 AM
JacketsFanWest

Nords Nation

Old
12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Moobles

Yet I'm sure you wouldn't complain if a more competitive restaurant that offered you better food for $5 than you're getting now at a place that sells it for $7? If you ignore the numbers, that's what we're talking about.

If the NHL actually listened to its fanbase and just gave Winnipeg and Québec teams, all this hubub about them going into other markets would die down. They just invite threats to move by having them as franchises: and I'm sure they actually like it, because it's great leverage to keep those teams in their respective cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetJones View Post

Old
12-11-2010, 12:36 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrowlman View Post
The Bold thing to do would be to come to Atlanta and in our Arena and say it to our Faces. That would be bold, this just seams like a high school thing to do like they are going behind some ones back. So I invite the Elephant Nation to Atlanta and say it to our faces and do this in our Barn.
It's also the more expensive and time-consuming move. Hard to get 1,100 people to make the journey to Atlanta.

Anyways, just like the rally a few months back... I hope they all wear the Nordiques blue and are sitting together. I'd be nice to see a big block of blue in the stands. I hope the seats at Nassau aren't blue as well or they may just mesh in with all the empty seats and become unnoticeable.

Old
12-11-2010, 01:19 PM
GreatCanadian

BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! This is great.

......go Nords!

for tonight, I will close my eyes and make pretend the Nordiques are playing. Should be neat!

(then I will open my eyes and realise it is all just a dream .... for now)

Old
12-11-2010, 01:28 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
I'll try to find the article...but the Hamilton Spectator recently celebrated Copps Coliseum's birthday with an article showing how busy of a building it has been and the records it has set.
Relative to other NHL (or NHL ready) arenas in Canada, Copps is not a very busy building.

In 2009 it did not make Pollstar's Top 100 Venues - based on ticket sales to non-sporting events - capping it's total possible attendance at 136K.

In 2008, it came in at #60 - 8th in Canada with 199,470 tickets sold.

In comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Pollstar Arena Rankings

2009 Pollstar TOP 100 WORLDWIDE Arena Venues

Quote:
2009 Year End TICKET SALES
TOP 100 Worldwide ARENA Venues

10. Bell Centre Montreal, CANADA 546,328
22. Air Canada Centre Toronto, CANADA 411,449
23. Rexall Place Edmonton, CANADA 406,453
41. Scotiabank Place Ottawa, CANADA 309,667
43. General Motors Place Vancouver, CANADA 309,015
50. MTS Centre Winnipeg, CANADA 260,956
80. Pengrowth Saddledome Calgary, CANADA 164,592

All figures are for tickets sold worldwide as reported to POLLSTAR for shows played between 1/1/09 and 12/31/09.

2008 Pollstar TOP 100 WORLDWIDE Arena Venues

Quote:
2008 YEAR END TICKET SALES
TOP 100 WORLDWIDE Arena Venues

5. Air Canada Centre Toronto, CANADA 723,469
6. Bell Centre Montreal, CANADA 723,256
19. MTS Centre Winnipeg, CANADA 385,427
32. Rexall Place Edmonton, CANADA 294,733
40. General Motors Place Vancouver, CANADA 265,633
43. Pengrowth Saddledome Calgary, CANADA 242,636
51. Scotiabank Place Ottawa, CANADA 220,968

All figures are for tickets sold worldwide as reported to POLLSTAR for shows played between 1/1/08 and 12/31/08.
http://www.sprintcenter.com/resource...renaVenues.pdf

http://www.tradecentrelimited.com/si...0%20Arenas.pdf
And note that those "records" in the Spectator piece were records for shows at Copps - they are not records comparing to any other venues.

Last edited by kdb209: 12-11-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old
12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrowlman View Post
The only way they're going behind anyone's back is if noone in Atlanta sees it. Maybe they don't have it in Atlanta but they have this amazing invention called television which allows you to watch games - and the crowds attending them - from long distances. Fancy that!

...unless you're essentially admitting that the general consensus in Atlanta is that they're so apathetic about the team that they won't even notice this unless it's done in person

Old
12-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I will record the game just because I wish I could see some of my friends in the arena.

Old
12-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Grrrowlman

Quote:
The only way they're going behind anyone's back is if noone in Atlanta sees it. Maybe they don't have it in Atlanta but they have this amazing invention called television which allows you to watch games - and the crowds attending them - from long distances. Fancy that!

...unless you're essentially admitting that the general consensus in Atlanta is that they're so apathetic about the team that they won't even notice this unless it's done in person
Actually it's not on tv down here. But lucky me I have NHL CENTER ICE PACKAGE, Sadly it's not in HD so that I can watch it on my 60 inch 1080p Sony HD TV.

Old
12-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

I love it!

Old
12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Mousepad*

Quote:
What a D-bag move

What a d-bag reply. They organised that trip to show betman that there are real hockey fans in Quebec City. What's wrong with it. They chose New York because Betman is in New-York. Get a clue.

Old
12-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post

How about we back the train up a bit? While I like this move to show the NHL they want a team.....they are AFTER an arena. Without the funding for an arena all of this is absolutely pointless. And from what I understand....they don't have the funding for an arena. So lets not worry about what team they are "after" quite yet.

Old
12-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Bob1321

euh they start in january with plans etc

so the construction begin without the federal funding for now

Old
12-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
What a D-bag move

Tough guy

Closed Thread