HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should be Calgary Flames' new General Manager if Sutter was fired?

Old
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I do not PM is the right choice for GM. He was being considered for the Wild job when it was vacant and they passed. I think Maguire is a knowledgable guy about hockey, but he has no experience whatsoever with being a GM. He has never dealt with contract negotiations, probably does not know all the ins and outs of the CBA (Lunatik probably knows more), and I think he has too big of man crushes on players and that may impair his judgement into over paying for players in FA. He is an analyst, that does not necessarly qualify him to run the operations of an NHL team. Dunnigan did not exactly do the best job when in charge of the Stamps. I do think there are not alot of guys that know prospects better than him, I think he would make an excellent assistant or head of the scouting.

I think the Flames need a guy with experience at building a winner from the ground up starting from drafting. Nill has learned from the best and has been key cog in what Detroit has done. Thats unfortunate to hear he signed an extension, he may not leave Detroit now because he is a very loyal guy. Although, I don't think Holland would handcuff him if he wanted to leave. If it would possible to get Nill, he would be my first choice. Kisio would also be on my radar, although I think it would be not to good get a guy not from the Alberta area.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Pilkington

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been a finalist for the job in Minnesota if he was incapable of doing the job. And to think some random poster on a message board knows more about the CBA than a guy like Pierre is just laughable.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
getoverit

Why would Kisio be a good choice?? Im not a big PM fan but cant see Kisio more capable. Got to be better choices or we are doomed. I'd rather stay put and give Sutter the GM/Coach job for one year with a game plan and not the one he has been selling.......... regardless of Sutters successes and failures on both sides of the ledgers, will still miss his ability to get a deal done, right wrong or indifferent, luv an active GM vs the others that sit on their as$. Going to get fried for this, oh well..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I do not PM is the right choice for GM. He was being considered for the Wild job when it was vacant and they passed. I think Maguire is a knowledgable guy about hockey, but he has no experience whatsoever with being a GM. He has never dealt with contract negotiations, probably does not know all the ins and outs of the CBA (Lunatik probably knows more), and I think he has too big of man crushes on players and that may impair his judgement into over paying for players in FA. He is an analyst, that does not necessarly qualify him to run the operations of an NHL team. Dunnigan did not exactly do the best job when in charge of the Stamps. I do think there are not alot of guys that know prospects better than him, I think he would make an excellent assistant or head of the scouting.

I think the Flames need a guy with experience at building a winner from the ground up starting from drafting. Nill has learned from the best and has been key cog in what Detroit has done. Thats unfortunate to hear he signed an extension, he may not leave Detroit now because he is a very loyal guy. Although, I don't think Holland would handcuff him if he wanted to leave. If it would possible to get Nill, he would be my first choice. Kisio would also be on my radar, although I think it would be not to good get a guy not from the Alberta area.

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkington View Post
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been a finalist for the job in Minnesota if he was incapable of doing the job. And to think some random poster on a message board knows more about the CBA than a guy like Pierre is just laughable.
Ever heard of sarcasim? My point was this, part of the reason that Feaster was brought in as assistant GM of the Flames was because of his knowledge of CBA and to assist Sutter on those intricate details. I do not doubt that Pierre knows mountains more about the CBA than the average fan does (which isn't hard BTW), but I am sure there are other candidates available that are much more familar with it than Pierre because they work with it on a day to day basis. In a cap world, it is very important for GM to be cap savy. IMO, Pierre would be better utilized as an assistant and learn the business side of operations to running an NHL team for a few years before he actually becomes the main guy in charge. I think he may have the tools to be a good GM, but I do not think he has the experience to be a top one right now. Button was supposed to be a scouting genious too, and we all know how that turned out.

Old
12-11-2010, 02:59 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
I didnt know much about feaster until this year. Was he a good gm with Tampa?

Last edited by tyflames: 12-11-2010 at 03:06 PM.
tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I didnt know much about feaster until this year. Was he a good gm with Tampa?
Very similar to Sutter, handed out high priced contracts long term and did not have a good drafting record.

Old
12-11-2010, 03:26 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Very similar to Sutter, handed out high priced contracts long term and did not have a good drafting record.
I just created a threa for more information.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:

you do know that Pierre Maguire has been an Asst Coach, Head Coach and Asst GM at the NHL level right?... that makes him more qualified than more than a few of the current GMs in the league (off the top of my head Sutter, Nieuwendyk and Snow had no experience as even Asst GMs)

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 04:06 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you do know that Pierre Maguire has been an Asst Coach, Head Coach and Asst GM at the NHL level right?... that makes him more qualified than more than a few of the current GMs in the league (off the top of my head Sutter, Nieuwendyk and Snow had no experience as even Asst GMs)
Yzerman

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I'm fully convinced that Oiler and Canuck fans have either hacked all your accounts, or infiltrated our forum to pretend to be Flames fans and post that they want Pierre McGuire to be part of Flames management. It's the only explanation.
Actually, I think most Canuck and Oiler fans are hoping you guys keep the Sutters.

But, the mess you are in reminds me of what Lowe has done to the Oilers and to a certain extent what Brian Burke did to the Canucks.

Lowe left a mess that will take another couple of years to clean up and that's admitting that they have a damned decent prospect pool and if they get a few more draft picks and manage to sign some real defensemen, then they really could have a playoff team in a couple of years..

The Canucks were left with an aging core and no prospects. Burke kept throwing 2nd and 3rd picks out the door to plug every hole in the bursting dike. What saved the Canucks from disaster was the emergence of the Sedins and Nonis trading Bert for Luongo. And still we missed the playoffs two out of the three years Nonis was here.

But Gillis managed to right the ship fairly quickly because of the Sedins and Lou...otherwise we'd have been looking at having a chance at Stamkos. We have some guys in the pipeline and a core group that is at it's peak signed for the next few years.

The Flames will have to pay the price for the decisions that have been made these last few years. If you get somebody like Nill or Fenton then I believe the Flames will emerge as contenders once again. But it's going to be painful.

As a Canuck fan, I'd love to see that rivalry once again.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Not to mention his ability with talking to media, one reason Feaster was brought in.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Body Checker

I don't want an old boy's club hire. I don't think previous GM experience should even be an asset when they hire someone.

I would want a current assistant GM or director of player personnel from another team. I would look at teams that have drafted well lately.

Also, Michel Goulet, a current scout with the team, was director of player personnel for Colorado for quite a few years.

He's a darkhorse possibility.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
For one, PM is a Iggy-hater. He has all these great things to say about other players except Iginla. Even when Crosby scored the gold-winning goal, PM barely acknowledged that Iggy did all the hard work to make that goal happen. I think PM's judgment is limited. He gives praise to every young player on a given team, as if being young makes you inherently great at hockey. The only veterans that gets praise from PM is Nik Linstrom and Rafalski. He hates veterans for some reason. A good GM needs to be indifferent, whereas PM is loud n proud about every single opinion, like Don Cherry. That attitude is great for entertaining television, but not for negotiating with other GM's about a trade.

If PM was in charge right now, he'd trade all of our players away for 5th rounders (including Iggy) because he thinks that great players are young undrafted players, and every other GM in the league would be laughing. I don't want another Brian Burke or Don Cherry in this league grabbing a camera to express every little thought.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
Yzerman
yes him too

Last edited by Noori: 12-11-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: bickering
Old
12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
FLAMESTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
So the common consensus is this:

Darryl is not fit to be the Flames' GM, at least not through the imminent rebuilding process. So then, who will be the interim GM if Sutter is fired mid-season, and who should the Flames' ownership seek as a long-term replacement?
The options that come immediately to mind, likely or unlikely - as they are all currently within the organization:

Senior VP / Assistant GM Michael Holditch
Assistant GM Jay Feaster
Coach Brent Sutter

Who should take over at the very least, the interim duties?

and most importantly -

Who would you want, inside or outside of the Flames organization, to dictate the new culture and team of the rebuilding Calgary Flames?
Feaster

Won a ring in tampa I am pretty why that is why he is here in the first place.

FLAMESTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
For one, PM is a Iggy-hater. He has all these great things to say about other players except Iginla. Even when Crosby scored the gold-winning goal, PM barely acknowledged that Iggy did all the hard work to make that goal happen. I think PM's judgment is limited. He gives praise to every young player on a given team, as if being young makes you inherently great at hockey. The only veterans that gets praise from PM is Nik Linstrom and Rafalski. He hates veterans for some reason. A good GM needs to be indifferent, whereas PM is loud n proud about every single opinion, like Don Cherry. That attitude is great for entertaining television, but not for negotiating with other GM's about a trade.

If PM was in charge right now, he'd trade all of our players away for 5th rounders (including Iggy) because he thinks that great players are young undrafted players, and every other GM in the league would be laughing. I don't want another Brian Burke or Don Cherry in this league grabbing a camera to express every little thought.
Keyboard warrior!!

You bring the passion but do you seriously think a professional like Pierre behaves like his on camera persona in every situation? Do you think he screams WHAT A MONSTER when he brings out his member to take a leak? Do you think he goes into Tokarski-mode when he kisses his wife?

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:27 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Not to mention his ability with talking to media, one reason Feaster was brought in.
Talking to the media should be oh.... number 100 on the list of important GM duties : I would rather he know how to do the job more than being touchy feely...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Yes I was, he also a scout for a while. But I did not know that he was an assistant GM for the Whalers. I think he would definitely be a canditate for the job, and I think he would be a decent choice. Personally I think he would be best served being an assistant GM to start, I just do not think he would be the guy that is going to make the Flames a championship team. Although who the hell knows, he may be the best available guy for the job. He certainly would be an improvement over Sutter at this point.

Old
12-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Yes I was, he also a scout for a while. But I did not know that he was an assistant GM for the Whalers. I think he would definitely be a canditate for the job, and I think he would be a decent choice. Personally I think he would be best served being an assistant GM to start, I just do not think he would be the guy that is going to make the Flames a championship team. Although who the hell knows, he may be the best available guy for the job. He certainly would be an improvement over Sutter at this point.
the reason I think Maguire would be more than a serious candidate is because he was one of the candidates they interviewed before hiring Sutter... and lets be honest Maguire knows so much about the prospects coming up... and if we are going into a rebuild he could be the guy we need...

I would also look at former Flame Brian McLellan who has been an Asst GM for the Capitals

Old
12-13-2010, 03:27 PM
flames123

I hear Craig Button is looking for work. Brain Burke and Terry Murray will be looking for work as well

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
the reason I think Maguire would be more than a serious candidate is because he was one of the candidates they interviewed before hiring Sutter... and lets be honest Maguire knows so much about the prospects coming up... and if we are going into a rebuild he could be the guy we need...

I would also look at former Flame Brian McLellan who has been an Asst GM for the Capitals
I do think if the Flames rebuild and are able to aquire a stockpile of draft picks, that there would not many better guys out there to select the best players available as the rounds progress. Pierre is passionate about prospects and you can tell that it is one of the things that he really loves about hockey the most. Again my only concern with him is mostly contract and FA signings. After Sutter I think that is one of the areas that the Flames really need to improve on in addition to their drafting. We need a shrewd guy who is going to be able to get guys that want to come here to play and at the same time not hand out contracts that handcuff the franchise. But I totally agree, Pierre's biggest asset is his knowledge of hockeys youth and that is a HUGE skill for GM to have in today's NHL.

Old
12-13-2010, 06:15 PM
maverick9

brent should be the gm. give him the rest of this year and next yr and see how it goes

maverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9 View Post
brent should be the gm. give him the rest of this year and next yr and see how it goes
That should not be the goal of bringing in a new GM, "give him a shot and see how it goes". We should be looking for someone who is a long term solution and has a clear vision. Brent may be a guy that is capable of doing that, but he is too involved in what has already gone on here in Calgary. We need someone entirely new and removed from this mess to come in here, breath new blood into the organization and bring in his own guys. Brent would more than likely keep alot of the same guys in place because he is a Sutter and has the same contacts in the hockey world as Darryl. While there would be some change, it would not be enough. Who would he hire as coach, Brian?

Old
12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9 View Post
No way Jose! It is time to purge out all the Sutters. Sutters = Fail.

I like the idea of McGuire or Nill (assistant GM of teh Wings if I remember correctly).

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I do think if the Flames rebuild and are able to aquire a stockpile of draft picks, that there would not many better guys out there to select the best players available as the rounds progress. Pierre is passionate about prospects and you can tell that it is one of the things that he really loves about hockey the most. Again my only concern with him is mostly contract and FA signings. After Sutter I think that is one of the areas that the Flames really need to improve on in addition to their drafting. We need a shrewd guy who is going to be able to get guys that want to come here to play and at the same time not hand out contracts that handcuff the franchise. But I totally agree, Pierre's biggest asset is his knowledge of hockeys youth and that is a HUGE skill for GM to have in today's NHL.
Pierre has spent the last while sitting on the outside judging all these contracts... he has seen what every contract signed looks like... he sees people living up to them and crippling under the weight of them... besides if it a concern you could always hire an assistant GM where that is his strength