HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is Bettman basically saying it's best when it's a Canada/USA Gold Medal game?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
I was listening to Gary Bettman's press conference from the World Hockeu Summit on XM NHL Home Ice and (1)while he didn't actually say the 1998 and 2006 Olympic Hockey tournaments were horrible (2)he did mention how Vancouver 2010 was great and (3)I assume he would say the same about 2002 in Salt Lake City, since both finals had Canada vs USA. Since the 1998 final was Russa vs Czech Repbulic and 2006 was Sweeden vs Findland I realize that match up would not appeal to most North American fans and (4)I am sure the NHL always wishes the final would be Canada vs USA, however we know that is never a sure thing. (5)So was Bettman wrong about those comments?
1. So the commissioner did not actually say these two tournaments were horrible? Okay.

2. He did actually say that and it makes sense from a ratings and excitement perspective for the sport.

3. Again this is the OP's assumption which was not from Gary Bettman.

4. I don't know if that's the NHL's wish as while it would make sense for them to turn the excitement of a US-Canada final into money more, no one actually said that and it's an assumption.

5. No since the only thing on here that he actually said was how Vancouver 2010 was great. I agree with the commissioner on that.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Pyke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
1. So the commissioner did not actually say these two tournaments were horrible? Okay.

2. He did actually say that and it makes sense from a ratings and excitement perspective for the sport.

3. Again this is the OP's assumption which was not from Gary Bettman.

4. I don't know if that's the NHL's wish as while it would make sense for them to turn the excitement of a US-Canada final into money more, no one actually said that and it's an assumption.

5. No since the only thing on here that he actually said was how Vancouver 2010 was great. I agree with the commissioner on that.
I think Canada - U.S.A makes the most sense in terms of his current audience market; but I don't see how that statement is any different than the Commissioner of the English Premier League indicating he'd prefer to see England and France make the finals then, I don't know, South Africa. (I realize that was rugby under Mandela in 1994... but I'm not familiar enough with soccer to pick a weak-ish non-European soccer country; and S.A. in Rugby makes my point)

Closed Thread