HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marco Sturm traded to the Kings

Old
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Rommel

vCash: 500

GO Sturm!

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Saw him on youtube. Hopefully he'll be clutch in the playoffs. We can use that.

(Edit: And the video above)

EDIT EDIT....and we got a lefty....

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:20 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

The cup is ours!

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:38 PM
KingPuckChoo

so Boston really lost the Thornton deal right?

lol

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Scottkmlps

Wait...what? Sturm has been dealt to the Kings?

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:45 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

It will certainly be nice to have a competent LW on each line, with Sturm, Smyth, Poni and Clifford.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
So when/if everyones healthy we have...

Sturm-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson-Westgarth/Lewis

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Ex: Harrold, Drewiske

Quick/Bernier

I just jizzed in my pants.

I didn't count Parse because he won't be back for awhile, and now I'm worried there won't be any room for him

That's also 8 forwards who have at one point scored 20+ goals before. And Simmonds was close last year with 16 :0

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:07 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
So when/if everyones healthy we have...

Sturm-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson-Westgarth/Lewis

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene
Ex: Harrold, Drewiske

Quick/Bernier

I just jizzed in my pants.

I didn't count Parse because he won't be back for awhile, and now I'm worried there won't be any room for him
Untill he starts playing and it take him 2 months to get into his old form if at all...

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Cook24

LOL

Old
12-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Face Wash

Calm Down People

From a risk reward standpoint, this deal isn't horrible, but I'll be stunned if the guy makes the contribution many of you think he's going to make.

He's had reconstructive knee surgeries on both knees the last two years. Remember how bad Handzus was his first season with the Kings coming off of knee surgery and he was 29 at the time. Sturm is 32 and plays a speed game. And not just ACL surgery.. Meniscus on his Left knee with ACL and MCL & ACL on the right knee.

I sure hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this won't work out as well as many of you think it will and I certainly wouldn't put him on the #1 line. He's not the guy the Kings need for the #1 line... probably help the Kings most on the PK, which of course is the Kings biggest area of strength.

Sorry, but I think it's a waste of Cap Space and I'd rather see the Kings give up a player of some substance and a higher pick to get a more talented, healthier guy to set up Anze on the top line than do this little dinky low risk/medium reward move.

but again I hope I'm wrong.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Cook24

Old
12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
From a risk reward standpoint, this deal isn't horrible, but I'll be stunned if the guy makes the contribution many of you think he's going to make.

He's had reconstructive knee surgeries on both knees the last two years. Remember how bad Handzus was his first season with the Kings coming off of knee surgery and he was 29 at the time. Sturm is 32 and plays a speed game. And not just ACL surgery.. Meniscus on his Left knee with ACL and MCL & ACL on the right knee.

I sure hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this won't work out as well as many of you think it will and I certainly wouldn't put him on the #1 line. He's not the guy the Kings need for the #1 line... probably help the Kings most on the PK, which of course is the Kings biggest area of strength.

Sorry, but I think it's a waste of Cap Space and I'd rather see the Kings give up a player of some substance and a higher pick to get a more talented, healthier guy to set up Anze on the top line than do this little dinky low risk/medium reward move.

Last time he was coming off knee surgery he scored 22. Pro athletes these days commonly recover to 100% after ACL/MCL tears. At worst, the Kings lose a bit of cap space they weren't going to use. They still have enough cap room to pick up just about any cap hit at the trade deadline.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:

This is my concern.

I don't mind a guy like Sturm as an in-season stop-gap, provided he's coming in on top of his game. But I really doubt he'll reach that level until the end of the season, at the earliest.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
OK Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Pro athletes these days commonly recover to 100% after ACL/MCL tears.
ACL isn't the career killer it used to be, but most guys never get back to being what they were before the injury.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
This is my concern.

I don't mind a guy like Sturm as an in-season stop-gap, provided he's coming in on top of his game. But I really doubt he'll reach that level until the end of the season, at the earliest.
So he'll hypothetically be in ideal game shape at the start of the playoffs. I'm ok with that.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
JMFJ 3

Sturm is this year's Freddy Modin.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:58 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:

Pretty much feel this way^.

Its a big *IF* but if MS can find his game this year which I really hope can happen but it typically takes a pretty long time to trust your knee well enough to even consider making the kind of moves that it takes to be a contributing factor on any pro team after an injury like his.

That and I would have rather seen us take/make one of the other deals for a more valuable player with a better fit.

But like I said, if Sturm can find a way to do the rarely possible and make it all the way back then I will be happy to put my doubts behind me.

Kerland and Jobe must have been very busy the last couple of days.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:00 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
Gotta love Chiarelli. Probably the most honest and likeable GM. Laughed at his comments on "future considerations" and when he told that one guy to "check capgeek.com" when asked about cap room.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
ACL isn't the career killer it used to be, but most guys never get back to being what they were before the injury.
That's my point... I'm not saying the guy doesn't belong in the NHL anymore, but people are slotting this guy on the #1 line and saying how great this deal is because he's scored 27 goals before and I'm pretty sure those days are probably over at least for a while.

Getting him for nothing (per Chiarelli) is nice, but according to Jeff Solomon at the brkfst with the GM when a buddy of mine asked him about cap space, he told the crowd we don't have as much as you all think we have.

Good guy in the room... give the Kings good post season experience as a solid veteran... remains to be seen what he can do this season.

Old
12-11-2010, 08:03 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Gotta love Chiarelli. Probably the most honest and likeable GM. Laughed at his comments on "future considerations" and when he told that one guy to "check capgeek.com" when asked about cap room.
We really did get him for nothing... not even a pick. Wowzer. Not sure how anyone can not be behind this deal. We gave up nothing.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Pretty much feel this way^.

Its a big *IF* but if MS can find his game this year which I really hope can happen but it typically takes a pretty long time to trust your knee well enough to even consider making the kind of moves that it takes to be a contributing factor on any pro team after an injury like his.

That and I would have rather seen us take/make one of the other deals for a more valuable player with a better fit.

But like I said, if Sturm can find a way to do the rarely possible and make it all the way back then I will be happy to put my doubts behind me.
Why does everyone think this is so easy? Who is this mythical top line player that is available for picks and prospects?

The Kings are not near enough to being cup contenders to be trading part of their young core to take a shot this year. You can only get a legit top line player in his prime by trading Johnson, Brown and/or Quick.

Sturm is a zero risk trade for the Kings. Dean wasn't going to use the cap space for anyone significant this season anyways. Richards isn't going to get traded when Dallas is a top 3 seed and they certainly won't trade him in the Pacific division. There was a reason that Chicago traded their players to the East. Dean had zero shot at any of their players.

If Sturm fails completey, it doesn't cost the Kings anything significant and doesn't prevent Dean from trying to sign any FAs this summer.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
That's my point... I'm not saying the guy doesn't belong in the NHL anymore, but people are slotting this guy on the #1 line and saying how great this deal is because he's scored 27 goals before and I'm pretty sure those days are probably over at least for a while.

Getting him for nothing (per Chiarelli) is nice, but according to Jeff Solomon at the brkfst with the GM when a buddy of mine asked him about cap space, he told the crowd we don't have as much as you all think we have.

Good guy in the room... give the Kings good post season experience as a solid veteran... remains to be seen what he can do this season.
That's because AEG has a budget lower than the NHL cap ceiling. Maybe they raise it this summer if the Kings make noise in the playoffs. But if they are looking to sell, then you won't see the Kings add anything significant this summer again.

Until Johnson and Doughty sign on the dotted line, the Kings brass will claim that we don't have the cap space that people think they have. The numbers don't lie on capgeek.com, the Kings have a lot of space available this season. Next season is a different story because we don't know Simmonds, Johnson or Doughty's numbers.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post
We really did get him for nothing... not even a pick. Wowzer. Not sure how anyone can not be behind this deal. We gave up nothing.
Yeah. To a certain extent, it's exactly what DL predicted would happen. Teams giving up players for peanuts to get cap space in return. Whether we like it or not, "nothing" is becoming more and more of a valuable commodity.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
sweatypickle

overpayment!

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings are not near enough to being cup contenders to be trading part of their young core to take a shot this year.
I don't necessarily agree with you, and DL in his heart of hearts, 5 years into a 5 year plan shouldn't agree with you. A top line playmaker would be a worthwhile move this season... Offensively this team is a sleeping giant waiting for a top player to wake them up. When they wake up, look the hell out because we have the goaltending and defensive structure to be a lot of team's worst nightmare when healthy.