HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec Invades The Island

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2010, 09:17 PM
obsenssive*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Pics from tonight:

Old
12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
81ragnaH

islanders attendance tonight was 10,056...and that includes the boys in blue from up north.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:17 PM
htpwn

Found this on Youtube.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:51 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
I have a question for quebec city fans, and i'm not really sure where to put it because there obviously isnt a quebec forum here, but if an arena was built and the NHL still wasnt showing signs of giving you a team, would you accept a senators ahl team there?

12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

I went to check it out tonight. Got two neutral zone 6th row tickets for $25 each!!

All the Quebecois were cheering for the Isles, and the ushers let them down into the lower bowl with 5 minutes left.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:12 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
All the Quebecois were cheering for the Isles, and the ushers let them down into the lower bowl with 5 minutes left.
Classy move by the Isles employees. Cheers to the organization for being gracious hosts. Same with the Mods on the Islanders threads, making sure the fans understood the positive monitary effect this had for the franchise.

Anyone else feel warm and fuzzy about this?

Old
12-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

The only people who should feel warm and fuzzy about this are the bootleggers who made a killing selling their garbage to people who apparently should know better.

Royal and navy blue Nordiques jerseys? Really?

Old
12-12-2010, 01:18 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Classy move by the Isles employees. Cheers to the organization for being gracious hosts. Same with the Mods on the Islanders threads, making sure the fans understood the positive monitary effect this had for the franchise.

To bad its just gonna be used as more evidence of Canada/Canadians financing American teams budgets

Old
12-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

Found this on Youtube.
What is funny is that at about the 20 second mark of this video you get a nice view of the lower bowl.........EMPTY!

I really don't get why people in markets like this pay for lower bowl seats when they can buy cheap seats and just move down midway thru the first.

Old
12-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I have a question for quebec city fans, and i'm not really sure where to put it because there obviously isnt a quebec forum here, but if an arena was built and the NHL still wasnt showing signs of giving you a team, would you accept a senators ahl team there?
This is like asking Hamilton hockey fans to shell out bucks to support the Montreal Canadiens' farm team.

Some will....but most won't. For a whole wack-load of reasons.

Would an AHL team affiliated with the Devils do well at Nassau Veteran Memorial Coliseum?? I doubt it....don't you?

Old
12-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post
islanders attendance tonight was 10,056...and that includes the boys in blue from up north.
I assume that is the REPORTED attendance too.......that's just awful.

Old
12-12-2010, 02:23 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post
Umm, yeah. The Islanders haven't won a playoff round in 17 years and have lost 19 of their last 20 games. Would you really pay money to watch a team like that?

Don't blame the fans for perpetual ownership mistakes. It isn't fair.

Old
12-12-2010, 05:31 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
This is like asking Hamilton hockey fans to shell out bucks to support the Montreal Canadiens' farm team.

Some will....but most won't. For a whole wack-load of reasons.

Would an AHL team affiliated with the Devils do well at Nassau Veteran Memorial Coliseum?? I doubt it....don't you?
while the bulldogs are in the bottom 1/3 of attendance, they do quite well based on revenue and draw better than the baby leafs in toronto. There are quite a few habs fans in southern ontario.

I'd expect that because quebecors (city) primarily hate montreal and toronto, it would be easier for them to accept an ottawa team than any other farm team. If it was explained to the fanbase as a stepping stone to the NHL, i think they could embrace it.

Last edited by danishh: 12-12-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old
12-12-2010, 08:46 AM
81ragnaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Umm, yeah. The Islanders haven't won a playoff round in 17 years and have lost 19 of their last 20 games. Would you really pay money to watch a team like that?

Don't blame the fans for perpetual ownership mistakes. It isn't fair.
oh i'm not blaming isles fans one small bit, that organization is a train wreck from top to bottom and i wouldn't shell out money to see them either, not with their ticket prices.

still though, sub 10K on a saturday night with a huge influx of quebecois....how many made the trip? because it looks like it'd have been around 8K crowd without them.

Old
12-12-2010, 09:01 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The only people who should feel warm and fuzzy about this are the bootleggers who made a killing selling their garbage to people who apparently should know better.

Royal and navy blue Nordiques jerseys? Really?
Why is it such an affront to you that over a thousand hockey fans went to a hockey game? They were cheering for the Islanders. Maybe they're just maing a case for a enw 3rd jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
To bad its just gonna be used as more evidence of Canada/Canadians financing American teams budgets

Very difficult to make that case based on what happened. All it shows is that people will in fact travel to take in a game. I don't know what statement Nordique's hopefuls will make that hasn't already been said.

Old
12-12-2010, 09:38 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Didn't they just have 2 minor league teams fold in the last 15 years?

Old
12-12-2010, 10:21 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
The Oilers were filling up the house last season when they were having losing streaks in the tens, so...yes?

Old
12-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post

I do, it's pretty cool.

Kudos to long island for handling with class.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
The Oilers were filling up the house last season when they were having losing streaks in the tens, so...yes?
The Islanders are the equivalent to the Detroit Lions or the Blackhawks during the Wirtz years. The Oilers havent nearly suffered like the Isles franchise, I don't think they're really comparable.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Magnus Fulgur

I can't believe the Quebecois fans were rooting for the Isles...if they want to make a point to the NHL, they should be showing how they would support Les Thrasheurs, not hope for the misery of another franchise so they can scoop up the scraps. I don't think that's very smart (or, I won't say "classy" since that's overused here - polite, civil?) at all. If they rooted for ATL, that would have been quite cool, imo.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Magnus Fulgur

And supposedly Stan Fischler on the Isles' pre-game show said ATL was not moving and they had a single owner about to buy the hockey team and keep them in Philips Arena.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
I think political differences would keep a lot of people from cheering for Ottawa's farm team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
I can't believe the Quebecois fans were rooting for the Isles...if they want to make a point to the NHL, they should be showing how they would support Les Thrasheurs, not hope for the misery of another franchise so they can scoop up the scraps. I don't think that's very smart (or, I won't say "classy" since that's overused here - polite, civil?) at all. If they rooted for ATL, that would have been quite cool, imo.
Then you'd be crying about how a thousand Canadians infiltrated Long Island to cheer for the opposing team, showing no gratitude for the team whose barn they invaded, and how classless/stupid/whatever-word-you-want-to use that was.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Didn't they just have 2 minor league teams fold in the last 15 years?
Isn't their QMJHL team currently outdrawing your Thrashers?

Old
12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
It doesn't matter who the Quebec fans were cheering for. All it is was a way for them to send thier message to the NHL saying we want a team.

And I'm sure Charles Wang doesn't care who they cheer for either, as long as they buy tickets.

Maybe the NHL should ask these fans to tour all the struggling attendance franchises.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Wilma

These tactics will NEVER get a team to Quebec as its been proven that bullying only makes that moron Bettman more stubborn in regards to his previous decisions.

What it will do is potentially get action against Wang and his fellow management goons. The last thing the BoG wants is to give life to the idea that a team like the Islanders could move. This will force action against the management before it forces a move of the team.

Islander fans would be wise to support it IMO, in so far as it doesn't interfere with their enjoyment of the game.

Closed Thread