HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
What a move there by Bocek.

Old
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Oilerdiehard

Mac Danzig with the big walking away backwards knock out punch on Stevenson for the knock out.

Jim Miller submits Oliveira with a knee bar! Wow.

Old
12-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I'm pumped for this fight.

Old
12-11-2010, 10:59 PM
ales83fan

This could get crazy. George St. Pierre picked good entrance music. This will be a good fight.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:01 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
It'll be hilarious if Koscheck wins. God I hate that guy. Not because I buy into his whole, "bad guy" image. It's because he throws at least one cheap shot a match. YouTube it, it's disgusting.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Domination.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Wow, 10-9 each round. Just an insane victory for GSP.

New definition of domination, what a fight by GSP. Just ridiculously technical.

He's definitely a surgeon in the arena.

So who challenges him next? Who has a shot at beating him?

Old
12-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Jmask83

Nice guys don't finish last when it comes to GSP>

Old
12-11-2010, 11:46 PM
ohheyhemsky

God is Goldbergs voice annoying when he's plugging ****. He sounds like a robot.

Old
12-11-2010, 11:55 PM
HemskytheBeaut

GSP needs to fight at 185, he's completely cleaned out his division

Old
12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskytheBeaut View Post
With gaining that weight, he risks losing a lot of speed. And as we saw tonight, it's probably one of the biggest parts of his repertoire.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:11 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
With gaining that weight, he risks losing a lot of speed. And as we saw tonight, it's probably one of the biggest parts of his repertoire.
IT shouldnt be that big of an issue. He walks around at over 190.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:11 AM
JBell84

Quote:
It's odd to think that GSP could be the best shot at a Silva loss.. I don't know that it's in GSP's best interest to make a push in 185 though.

I certainly wouldn't consider GSP anything but an underdog in that fight, especially considering how easily Silva beat Griffin

Old
12-12-2010, 12:18 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
It's odd to think that GSP could be the best shot at a Silva loss.. I don't know that it's in GSP's best interest to make a push in 185 though.

I certainly wouldn't consider GSP anything but an underdog in that fight, especially considering how easily Silva beat Griffin
I'm pretty sure GSP is a robot. I'm not even kidding. Look at his facial mannerisms, and his picture perfect technique. Even if you look at a picture of his face, it's not hard to believe there is a super evolved form of Robo-copesque situation underneath the skin.

Now on topic, GSP would definitely be a underdog in my eyes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came out with another W under his belt.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:27 AM
HemskytheBeaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post

I doubt he would fight Silva first in 185 if he made that transition. It would give him a better idea if he can fight in that weight class

Old
12-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Spawn

Quote:
There is still Shields.

Quote:
I doubt he would fight Silva first in 185 if he made that transition. It would give him a better idea if he can fight in that weight class
I think Dana would like to see him fight Silva in a supermatch rather than working his way up the division. It is a fight everyone in the world wants to see and there is too much risk in having GSP fighting too many times at MW. This fight needs to happen ASAP. Because at some point one of these guys is going to lose and then all of a sudden the whole Pound for Pound best in the world thing gets tossed out the window.

Old
12-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
IT shouldnt be that big of an issue. He walks around at over 190.
It would be an issue to fight people from that class. Anderson Silva walks around at 230.

Old
12-12-2010, 01:59 AM
JBell84

Quote:
I agree, but I also feel pretty confident in his ability to get to the point where he'd be next in line for Silva and I'm sure Dana White does too... fast track?

It's all fantasies anyway, who knows where GSP will take his career.. He certainly can do what he wants

Old
12-12-2010, 02:59 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by led zep View Post
It would be an issue to fight people from that class. Anderson Silva walks around at 230.
Where did you read that? I have a hard time believing that. 45 pound cuts? I believe he walks around the 205 mark. There have been reports of 220. But let's not get carried away here.

Last edited by Grod: 12-12-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old
12-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Where did you read that? I have a hard time believing that. 45 pound cuts? I believe he walks around the 205 mark. There have been reports of 220. But let's not get carried away here.
I've heard that Silva walks around at about 230 too. That's why moving "up" to light heavyweight was so easy for him. He's a huge middle weight and that's one of the main reasons why GSP would have a lot of trouble against him.

...and I can't see Dana White allowing GSP to fight Anderson Silva. It's the fight everyone wants to see but while we'd find out who the best p4p fighter is, the legend of the loser would die. I think Dana wants to protect St. Pierre. Right now the UFC has two guys that are "arguably" the best fighter in the world. That's more valuable that actually finding out who the best is.

Old
12-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Spawn

Quote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that he cuts 45 pounds. But when he isn't training for a fight, I don't think that Silva walking around at 220 is out of the question. Once he starts training he probably slowly loses that weight and then when it's time to actually cut he's probably down around 200ish for middleweight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I've heard that Silva walks around at about 230 too. That's why moving "up" to light heavyweight was so easy for him. He's a huge middle weight and that's one of the main reasons why GSP would have a lot of trouble against him.

...and I can't see Dana White allowing GSP to fight Anderson Silva. It's the fight everyone wants to see but while we'd find out who the best p4p fighter is, the legend of the loser would die. I think Dana wants to protect St. Pierre. Right now the UFC has two guys that are "arguably" the best fighter in the world. That's more valuable that actually finding out who the best is.
I don't think the legend of the loser would die at all. If anything is going to kill their legend/legacy it's going to have this fight not happening imo. There is no shame if these guys fight in one of them losing (although Silva losing would probably be more detrimental to him than GSP losing). It would be the biggest fight in MMA history. How often can you put the 2 best pound for pound fighters in the world in a ring together? I'm concerned that the longer this fight doesn't happen the less likely it becomes. Sooner or later one of these guys is going to lose. We almost saw it with Anderson in his last fight.

The UFC is in a unique position to make this fight happen. The window is closing on the opportunity though.

Last edited by Spawn: 12-12-2010 at 04:18 AM.
Old
12-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Dave

Quote:
I heard it during a ufc event or it was a ufc special on Silva. Keep in mind he also fights at 205, so 230 isn't completely out of the question. And 230 is walk around weight, in the 'off season' when he gets 'fat'. Once he gets a fight scheduled he would get into fighting shape (205ish for 185) and then cut from there before the weigh in.

Old
12-12-2010, 05:01 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

I found it funny how Koscheck was winkning at GSP all fight.

Old
12-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
I honestly think GSP at about say 177 > most if not all at 185.

Old
12-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Thanks for sharing that. That is awesome about your friend going to the UFC. Best of luck to him.
Your welcome, we are more than excited about the debut, should be awesome. Here's to hoping he wins.

GSP never ceases to amaze me, the guy is an incredible fighter.

Closed Thread