HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post #470: Zherdev lower body injury, not likely to play January 6th

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
His problem is how he plays in the offensive zone sometimes. He looks like he doesn't even know what he is doing. He looks to be in the wrong position. The reason why Lavy isn't in favor with his is simple. Just watch his play away from the puck. He looks lost in the offensive zone and defensive zone. Also he doesn't make the simple play with the puck sometimes.

Old
12-12-2010, 08:22 AM
jb**

you knew what you were getting when you signed him. Put him in a position to succeed and live with his shortcomings, with this team you can. One of my few complaints with Lavy is how he has handled Zherdev. They move him they will then have to acquire someone else at the deadline.

Old
12-12-2010, 08:49 AM
lancer247

The Flyers took a low risk-high reward chance on Z. They needed some insurance that they could make up for Gagne's production incase JVR didn't step up his game which he didn't until recently. What they got was increase in scoring from Giroux and unexpected scoring and two way play from Nodl.

Z has been made expendable not because of his play but because Nodl and Giroux are scoring at a nice rate and they aren't going to gvie up on JVR. Plus the coach loves the sand paper and two way play Powe brings.

The Flyers game plan was probably to tolerate Z's short comings/hope he would be motivated for a new contract but with the contributions they have gotten from other players Lavi doesn't need to tolerate Z's floating and one man expeditions.

Personally, I hate to give up on the guy because I know someone will go down as soon as he is gone but how long can you keep a locker room together when you have vets like Carcillo or Z as healthy scratches for extended time.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:21 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't think it's a work ethic thing, I just don't think he's really suited to the league and in particular, not suited to our team.

Part of that may be attitude, I don't know, but he always plays such a huge individual game, never as a part of the team.

I mean, even with the 4th line time, 1 assist in 28 games kind of tells its own story.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I mean, even with the 4th line time, 1 assist in 28 games kind of tells its own story.
FYI, out of 3 NHL and 1 KHL teams, Flyers are the only one where he gets more goals than assists. His usual goal/assist ratio is about 1/2.

Trade him already. You are wasting his season.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:34 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
FUI, out of 3 NHL and 1 KHL teams, Flyers are the only one where he gets more goals than assists. His usual goal/assist ratio is about 1/2.

Trade him already. You are wasting his season.
Again, I'm not judging him as a player there, I'm just saying that for whatever reason, I don't think he's really meshed into the team and that his offense isn't really clicking with anyone else right now.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:46 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Again, I'm not judging him as a player there, I'm just saying that for whatever reason, I don't think he's really meshed into the team and that his offense isn't really clicking with anyone else right now.
And I will tell you exactly what the reason is. Laviolette keeps playing him either on the line where it doesn't make sence to pass to anybody or on the line where nobody passes to him.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:49 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
And I will tell you exactly what the reason is. Laviolette keeps playing him either on the line where it doesn't make sence to pass to anybody or on the line where nobody passes to him.
The 4th line I can kind of see, but he hasn't been very good with Carter and Giroux either. Then, we see JVR step in on that line and they were all great last night. And frankly, Zherdev has to be outstanding offensively to make up for his defensive shortcomings.

Old
12-12-2010, 10:56 AM
MiD

Quote:
The 4th line I can kind of see, but he hasn't been very good with Carter and Giroux either. Then, we see JVR step in on that line and they were all great last night. And frankly, Zherdev has to be outstanding offensively to make up for his defensive shortcomings.
actually Z made few sick passes playing with Roo and JC but they failed to convert... Carter alone should scored 2 goals against Bruins at home

Old
12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
vera1964

Quote:
The deal with Carter/Giroux is simple -- Giroux is the one having the puck. This is not going to work with Zherdev -- he has to be the man. And, if you want him to be outstanding, you have to let him play his game -- it always work like this with talented people. If you want to try to get a talented person to be something he isn't, then don't be surprized he is below average.

Old
12-12-2010, 11:18 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
The deal with Carter/Giroux is simple -- Giroux is the one having the puck. This is not going to work with Zherdev -- he has to be the man. And, if you want him to be outstanding, you have to let him play his game -- it always work like this with talented people. If you want to try to get a talented person to be something he isn't, then don't be surprized he is below average.
Well unfortunately, Zherdev is about 6th in line to be "the Man" among our forwards.

Old
12-12-2010, 11:21 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD View Post
actually Z made few sick passes playing with Roo and JC but they failed to convert... Carter alone should scored 2 goals against Bruins at home
With some of the ridiculous opportunities Carter sees and manages to mess up, he should be running away with this team's goal-scoring lead.

There's been a number of games where he possibly should've gotten hattricks and came away with a goose-egg.

It's not that I'm calling him out or that it's bad. He still produces very well, but man, if he could somehow lock down some of those opportunities he wastes.

It's a shame, because most of those opportunities are ones that other players on this team just can't create.

Old
12-12-2010, 11:50 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
With some of the ridiculous opportunities Carter sees and manages to mess up, he should be running away with this team's goal-scoring lead.

There's been a number of games where he possibly should've gotten hattricks and came away with a goose-egg.

It's not that I'm calling him out or that it's bad. He still produces very well, but man, if he could somehow lock down some of those opportunities he wastes.

It's a shame, because most of those opportunities are ones that other players on this team just can't create.
I think that's what separates him from the more elite players in the league...some of the finer pure shooters find ways to bury their opportunities; Jeff finds ways to bungle golden chances. He's still a very good player, obviously, but he needs to find that true killer instinct if he really wants to become elite IMO.

Old
12-12-2010, 11:56 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Carter seems to have trouble with chances in tight to the net

Old
12-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Zherdev has basically given carter goals which he failed to score on. The amount of times Z put the puck on Carters stick, 5 feet from goal has been astounding.

Old
12-12-2010, 08:01 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Till he scores 20 with the Flyers, he has done nothing for me.
Yeah, it's gonna be real real hard for him to accomplish that. 9 already with numerous scratches and 4th line minutes and mates.

Old
12-12-2010, 08:38 PM
MaximusT

we'll gladly take him back in NY........for Frolov of course

Old
12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
we'll gladly take him back in NY........for Frolov of course
I'd do it if the cap worked. At least Frolov can play D, Lavi would like that. You would probably have to take Matt Walker as well to make the cap work.

Zherdev + Walker (3.7)

for
Frolov(3) + someone 700k or less

Old
12-12-2010, 08:41 PM
CTU2fan

It's true that Z needs to have the puck to be effective. Probably his ideal linemates would be a couple of crash the net types; he's similar to Carter in that regard. But the Flyers don't really have guys who'd be a good fit for him; he'd probably do best in Leino's spot but I don't think they're breaking that line up.

Old
12-12-2010, 08:43 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I wonder who Zherdev played with in NY.

Old
12-12-2010, 09:05 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I wonder who Zherdev played with in NY.
The two lines he played the most with were
B. Dubinsky-A. Voros-Zherdev - 18.95%
S. Gomez- M. Naslund- Zherdev - 14.65%

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go

Old
12-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
The great thing about our team is, we are not depending on Zherdev. He is going to "add" 20+ even strength goals this year and that is exactly why we signed him. He improved our offensive totals over Gagne while Giroux has taken over the defensive responsiblities. That makes it a win/win.

I would however like to see him on the 2nd PP unit more often. Next year - I doubt he is a Flyer. But he does add depth to our top 3 lines and another 20 goal scorer who other teams have to account for. If the Briere line is off, The Giroux line gets you. If they are off the Richards line gets you. You can't put your checking line against all three of our scoring lines. Zherdev helps with that depth and potentially will improve the PP?

JVR-Richards-Nodl
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carter-Giroux-Zherdev

=Matchup problems for 29 teams in the NHL
Giroux with Carter and Zherdev is a waste of Giroux's talent, switch he and Nodl and it is a step in the right direction.

Old
12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
An extra 20 goals per year never hurts. Esp when ur paying next to nothing for it.

He's an extra weapon and in the PO grind you'll need every weapon you can get. I can easily see a few critical PO games where everyone else is exhausted, Z is fresh cuz he's been relegated to fourth line minutes, and as a result he is the difference-maker.
You do not win the playoffs because of being able to shake and bake, it is the attention to details and the ability to play all three zones which matter the most. Guys who score the big goals in the playoffs are the ones who go to the net and scrap for every puck. Look at the Caps, they want to rely on outscoring the opponent, which makes for a great regular season record, but when the games come down to grind they cannot play this style and thus do not have success.

Old
12-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Carter seems to have trouble with chances in tight to the net
He is not comfortable that close to the goalie in tight quarters where he might sustain a hit.

Old
12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
that would be outright stupid, so i wouldnt put it past Shooter. Leighton deserves nothing at this point. Keep zherdev as at some point there will be injuries. I hope Shooter has the balls to admit his mistake with Leighton and correct it to moev on.
The high risk, high reward move would be to trade Leighton and Zherdev for a natural winger who will fit in Laviolette's style of play a little more. Say you package Leighton and Zherdev for a guy like Larose or Erik Cole.

Closed Thread