HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tuesday's practice

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Spearing47

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Tuesday's practice

The D pairs were lookin' like this tuesday morning

Smith-Staios
Brewer-Cross
Bergeron-Ferguson

Luoma-Semenov were the fourth pairing.

1st PP unit : Brewer-Bergeron
2 nd Staios-Smith

Old
10-07-2003, 02:38 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63

Smith-Staios
Brewer-Cross
Bergeron-Ferguson

2 nd Staios-Smith
wake-up call to Semenov

Old
10-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Spearing47

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
wake-up call to Semenov
I think so too....

But I wonder what's gonna happen with the D situation...they're 8 ....they've cut a forward instead of a D....Think they're gonna sign comrie soon.

Old
10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
MrMackey

Quote:

Smith-Staios
Brewer-Cross
Bergeron-Ferguson

2 nd Staios-Smith
Yikes that is weak. Semenov better pull it together before Thursday!

Old
10-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Lowetide

The great thing about Cross on the 2nd pairing is that he gets to play against the really good players.

Old
10-07-2003, 02:47 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The great thing about Cross on the 2nd pairing is that he gets to play against the really good players.
I hope he gets to play against the other teams' fastest lines... this is when he really excels.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:14 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Smith-Staios
Brewer-Cross
Bergeron-Ferguson
Luoma-Semenov
2 nd Staios-Smith
Hilarious. Some fool posted this a month ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by so this fool says
I think when the D is drawn up, it will be: Brewer+someone#1 and Smith+someone#2. I could easily be wrong, but that's what I'm thinking. If Brewer and Smith can anchor those pairings and the two somethings do fine, the Oilers might be OK.

I could see Cross being paired up with Brewer quite a bit. Cross is big. Brewer is big. That's a big pairing. Cross would play the slow, reliable D role and Brewer would be given a thumbs-up to make outlets and rush up the ice with more regularity. With Niinimaa gone, lets face it, that's what the Oilers need Brewer to be doing. Cross might be a suitable partner for this purpose, although of course Smith might be alright too if he didn't occasionally think he was Bobby Orr and go steaming up the ice too. From what I've seen, Brewer really can bring the puck up to centre and beyond and he's really a fast defenseman (seriously, I think so) and can make up a lot of ground that Cross loses. Of course top opposition will walk around Cross sometimes, but the Oilers will be living in an imperfect world.

One note about Brewer with Semenov: we know this could work OK, but who are you going to pair Cross with? Ferguson? That would be so deadly slow you might as well give up a goal immediately.
Ouch, though. Semenov on the 4th pairing?

Old
10-07-2003, 05:22 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:

Smith-Staios
Brewer-Cross
Bergeron-Ferguson

2 nd Staios-Smith

wow..... seeing that I can't help but think something is in the works... and who's saying that Luoma/Semenov aren't the third pairing and not Bergeron/Ferguson? MacT likes Luoma quite a bit from what I've herd - and you know he isn't crazy about having an unreliable defender that is small...... Oh well... all I can say is that seeing these pairings (which seem off to me) and with Comrie back in town, I can't help but think something is up.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Mr Sakich

i think you will see cross with brewer all year. Eric played his best hockey when paired with cross.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:54 PM
Spearing47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
wow..... seeing that I can't help but think something is in the works... and who's saying that Luoma/Semenov aren't the third pairing and not Bergeron/Ferguson? MacT likes Luoma quite a bit from what I've herd - and you know he isn't crazy about having an unreliable defender that is small...... Oh well... all I can say is that seeing these pairings (which seem off to me) and with Comrie back in town, I can't help but think something is up.

Because at practice they had the shirts of the fourth pairing, shirts that guys out of the lineups for the games are wearing.

And Thome_26, I know your high on Luoma but to be objective I re-watched the tape from the game against Calgary and if you think Bergy's defence is bad, then you'll be asking yourself why the Oilers have signed Luoma. He made a lot of mistakes, 3 passes on the wing that became icing, a lot (5) giveaways in the neutral zone. He isn't tough in front of the net and his feet are very slow. MacT hesitates to send this guy down because they've promised him a lot to get him out of his finnish league. That's the only reason why. He brings nothing to the Oilers, he doesn't hit, he's slow and the only time he moves the puck quickly is on D to D plays. Nothing to write to his mother.

the unreliable Bergeron like you've said in your post is not an actual analysis. Maybe last year but not anymore. Bergy played a nearly perfect game against Calgary and his size doesn't matter. He handled Iginla pretty easily all game long especially during a 1 on 1 in the third. I didn't see Luoma being hard on anybody. He's pretty aware of his defensive play and he is learning very quickly. he's very coachable.

ANd ask anybody on the Oilers which guy they fear the most between Luoma and Bergy on a 1 on 1 situation. 100 % will choose berg. He's not satisfied until your in big pain. That's far from being the case for Luoma.

This analysis was based upon what I've seen frome the game tapes. So it's pretty objective.

Closed Thread