HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec Invades The Island

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
I went to check it out tonight. Got two neutral zone 6th row tickets for $25 each!!

All the Quebecois were cheering for the Isles, and the ushers let them down into the lower bowl with 5 minutes left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Classy move by the Isles employees. Cheers to the organization for being gracious hosts. Same with the Mods on the Islanders threads, making sure the fans understood the positive monitary effect this had for the franchise.

Anyone else feel warm and fuzzy about this?
they didnt let the down lol they just stormed the lowerbowl. kinda hard to stop them, they just kept going. security went down but then went back up, there was nothing they could do.

they were cool and cheered for the isles and voiced that they were still alive. hope they come again.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
I think political differences would keep a lot of people from cheering for Ottawa's farm team.

Then you'd be crying about how a thousand Canadians infiltrated Long Island to cheer for the opposing team, showing no gratitude for the team whose barn they invaded, and how classless/stupid/whatever-word-you-want-to use that was.
No, I wouldn't be crying, and I'm not "crying" at all. They could still root for the Thrashers and then salute the Islanders fans and be gracious guests. Groups of fans "invade" arenas all the time (See Pens fans in CBJ recently). Isles fans are grown-ups, I think they would have understood if the Nords Nation rooted for Atlanta. Rooting for Atlanta to lose is just counter-intuitive for what they're trying to show to the league: that they can support The Thrashers better than the Atlanta fans do.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
ldnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
No, I wouldn't be crying, and I'm not "crying" at all. They could still root for the Thrashers and then salute the Islanders fans and be gracious guests. Groups of fans "invade" arenas all the time (See Pens fans in CBJ recently). Isles fans are grown-ups, I think they would have understood if the Nords Nation rooted for Atlanta. Rooting for Atlanta to lose is just counter-intuitive for what they're trying to show to the league: that they can support The Thrashers better than the Atlanta fans do.
Huh?
They aren't necessarily trying to get the Thrashers. They want A team, not the Thrashers specifically. They went to Long Island to show that they have fans that want hockey. They went to New York because it was a building that was close to Quebec and had the attendance issues to fit that many people easily (not just to fit them, but to make their "mer de bleu" very noticeable). They showed respect to the Islanders building for having them there as they were not there to disrupt the Islanders franchise. Cheering for them, had more to do with being respectful of a host than anything else. They don't need to show that they can support someone elses team. They need to show that they support hockey and could produce the fans necessary to fill an 17-20k building on a consistent basis.

The Thrashers are in trouble, so are the Panthers, and Phoenix, and a half dozen other franchises that could conceivable move in the next 5-10 years. Before the Nordiques come back into the league they are going to have to get their arena in order as that was one of the huge limitations with Quebec City being a viable NHL city when they left for Colorado.

They did things the right way. They didn't cause a disturbance, they were good fans of the game and they made their presence known. Kudos to them and I hope they find their way back into the league some day. Adding another Canadian franchise, and one that is more likely to be economically viable (than Winnipeg) would be a good thing, plus it has a very easy rivalry with Montreal and very easily can have rivalries with the two Ontario franchises with the Quebec vs. Ontario angle.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
And supposedly Stan Fischler on the Isles' pre-game show said ATL was not moving and they had a single owner about to buy the hockey team and keep them in Philips Arena.
Stan has no idea what he is talking about.

Old
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
GreatCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Didn't they just have 2 minor league teams fold in the last 15 years?
If Quebec City built their arena and the NHL was not there right away, they would just keep Junior hockey. The Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL are averaging over 12,000 fans a game. In fact, in the last 5 years, they are selling out the 15,300-seat Colisee Pepsi in the latter half of the season and the playoffs. The arena would not go to waste in a strong hockey market like that! It would also be a sweet place for concerts etc..

They need a replacement for the 60 year old Colisee anyway! Might as well build a rink. It will have plenty of uses.

Old
12-12-2010, 01:09 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
they didnt let the down lol they just stormed the lowerbowl. kinda hard to stop them, they just kept going. security went down but then went back up, there was nothing they could do.

they were cool and cheered for the isles and voiced that they were still alive. hope they come again.
Ah yes, that makes more sense. You can actually see a bunch of security in yellow in the second pic. Made sense to me at the time since I had drank a fair bit of beer.

Made for a better atmosphere at the end of the game, esp when the Isles scored their fourth goal. Would've been cool if they had tied it... it would've been loud.

Old
12-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Matrix78

Old
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post

Welcome to post #53 http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...3&postcount=53

Old
12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
I think political differences would keep a lot of people from cheering for Ottawa's farm team.

NO! That's one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

First: Quebec city is deep navy blue (conservative) and isn't very sovereignist at all, and most people today dont care about those dumb old issues.

I'd go see some games, since it'd be quality hockey. And it'd be a great use of the arena until we get an NHL team, like for Winnipeg.

And congratulation to those who made themselves heard in the Big Apple!

Old
12-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnk View Post
Huh?
They aren't necessarily trying to get the Thrashers. They want A team, not the Thrashers specifically. They went to Long Island to show that they have fans that want hockey. They went to New York because it was a building that was close to Quebec and had the attendance issues to fit that many people easily (not just to fit them, but to make their "mer de bleu" very noticeable). They showed respect to the Islanders building for having them there as they were not there to disrupt the Islanders franchise. Cheering for them, had more to do with being respectful of a host than anything else. They don't need to show that they can support someone elses team. They need to show that they support hockey and could produce the fans necessary to fill an 17-20k building on a consistent basis.

The Thrashers are in trouble, so are the Panthers, and Phoenix, and a half dozen other franchises that could conceivable move in the next 5-10 years. Before the Nordiques come back into the league they are going to have to get their arena in order as that was one of the huge limitations with Quebec City being a viable NHL city when they left for Colorado.

They did things the right way. They didn't cause a disturbance, they were good fans of the game and they made their presence known. Kudos to them and I hope they find their way back into the league some day. Adding another Canadian franchise, and one that is more likely to be economically viable (than Winnipeg) would be a good thing, plus it has a very easy rivalry with Montreal and very easily can have rivalries with the two Ontario franchises with the Quebec vs. Ontario angle.
If they wanted just "any" team, then why the signs calling for Atlanta to move? And everyone knows Phoenix is off the table and Atlanta is the only team in play. I think Quebec ought to have a team, and I applaud the Quebec fans for being well-behaved, but it would have been cooler to see "Citizen Kane for Quebec" and "I like Big Buff!" type signs. They could still be gracious guests and promote their willingness to support The Thrashers team in Quebec.

Old
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnk View Post
Adding another Canadian franchise, and one that is more likely to be economically viable (than Winnipeg) would be a good thing, plus it has a very easy rivalry with Montreal and very easily can have rivalries with the two Ontario franchises with the Quebec vs. Ontario angle.
Please provide some proof that QC would be a more economically viable team than Winnipeg. It very naive for many to make this automatic assumption without showing any proof that this will indeed happen if they return to the league. Fact is, no one knows which will be more viable, if there is any difference between then two, so these blanket assuptions are very premature indeed

Old
12-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Bob1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
Please provide some proof that QC would be a more economically viable team than Winnipeg. It very naive for many to make this automatic assumption without showing any proof that this will indeed happen if they return to the league. Fact is, no one knows which will be more viable, if there is any difference between then two, so these blanket assuptions are very premature indeed
the two cities will be economically viable POINT

Old
12-12-2010, 02:08 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
And congratulation to those who made themselves heard in the Big Apple!
*Long Island

Old
12-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
If they wanted just "any" team, then why the signs calling for Atlanta to move?
Because even among a group of well-behaved, admirable, and generally awesome hockey fans who've learned how to show support the right way, there's going to be the occasional heartless jerk.

Personally, I think it was a brilliant idea - showing that you not only have a fanbase in place, but a traveling fanbase that will fiscally support other teams... that ought to get folks' attention. I wonder if Winnipeg fans will consider stepping up.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
12-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I like le journal de quebec headlines from today.

"Mission Accomplished"

Old
12-12-2010, 03:14 PM
StikTBo

Oh, so that's the reason why they went to NY

Old
12-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I wonder if Winnipeg fans will consider stepping up.
If there was a place within a day's drive that happened to have a few thousand extra tickets available, I'm sure they would (they don't want to be bested by Quebec City )

Unfortunately, the only NHL city within a day's drive is St. Paul, so I don't see it happening.

Old
12-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
If there was a place within a day's drive that happened to have a few thousand extra tickets available, I'm sure they would (they don't want to be bested by Quebec City )

Unfortunately, the only NHL city within a day's drive is St. Paul, so I don't see it happening.
Yes, and tickets are almost impossible to come by, let along for over 1,000 Winnipeggers to just show up. Unlike what is going on Long Island, Minnesota actually supports it's team. You could also include Chicago as a US market "relatively" close to Winnipeg (11-12 hours away), but they too sell out every game, making one thousand tickets hard to come by on short notice.

Old
12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Pegger5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
Yes, and tickets are almost impossible to come by, let along for over 1,000 Winnipeggers to just show up. Unlike what is going on Long Island, Minnesota actually supports it's team. You could also include Chicago as a US market "relatively" close to Winnipeg (11-12 hours away), but they too sell out every game, making one thousand tickets hard to come by on short notice.
You can make it to Minneapolis in 6 1/2 - 7 hrs drive assuming you just stop for gas and eat on the way..
Calgary is 13 hours drive away
St Louis is 14 hours
Chicago is 12 hours

All those places do not have a few thousand tickets available like NYI

We just need to look back to 1995 to see the passion that Winnipeg had versus Quebec when both lost their teams..

Old
12-12-2010, 03:54 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
I wonder if Winnipeg fans will consider stepping up.
Sorry, but forget the road trips from 1,000 Winnipegers to anywhere. Why? Because we are past that point. Quebec is today where Winnipeg was many years ago as far as trying to land an NHL team.

The first time an NHL preseason game was held in Winnipeg, it sold out because everyone went... Ooooo we better go to the game to show the NHL we want hockey. Well guess what, it means nothing as TNSE and the NHL have said. Its a money grab for the preseaon teams, nothing more.

In the case of Quebec its..... Oooooo lets go to the Island and show the NHL we want hockey. Hey I applaude the people that go, but realize, the NHL does not give a Bettman dump about emotional displays when it comes to getting a team. You want a team? Build the building then do what TNSE is doing. Ask quitely and politely behind the curtain.

So, to answer your question.. will Winnipeg fans consider stepping up?

YES!. I'm 1st in line to buy my STs. We will step up when the time comes.

Old
12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

They need their own dedicated forum here on
hfboards imo.

No, seriously, do they have a message board, anyone have a link?

Old
12-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
If they wanted just "any" team, then why the signs calling for Atlanta to move? And everyone knows Phoenix is off the table and Atlanta is the only team in play. I think Quebec ought to have a team, and I applaud the Quebec fans for being well-behaved, but it would have been cooler to see "Citizen Kane for Quebec" and "I like Big Buff!" type signs. They could still be gracious guests and promote their willingness to support The Thrashers team in Quebec.
So cheer for Atlanta at an Islander home game?

Yeah, that's brilliant.

Good chance a few kooks on both sides (had a bit too much to drink) would start yelling, then fighting, then there's always the excellent possibility of an all out brawl.

Then you (and so many others) would come on here and blame the Quebec fans for being stupid to have the nerve to "invade" another teams home arena and actually cheer for the away team.

Then you'd use the word classless in describing their actions.

Old
12-12-2010, 04:48 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Stan has no idea what he is talking about.
Stan Fischler is about as rational as Randy Quaid.

Old
12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
The Oilers were filling up the house last season when they were having losing streaks in the tens, so...yes?
The Oilers seem to have a plan and every hockey fan can appreciate that.

The Isles fans have been forced to watch
aimless owners and terrible hockey for too long. Their only way of protesting is to not
go to the games.

Old
12-12-2010, 05:03 PM
orangethrasher
Blue in ex-Blueland

Regarding this:

Quote:
Quote:
If they wanted just "any" team, then why the signs calling for Atlanta to move?
Because even among a group of well-behaved, admirable, and generally awesome hockey fans who've learned how to show support the right way, there's going to be the occasional heartless jerk.
We really need to stop pretending this wasn't a rally to try to take the Thrashers, when the leader of Nordiques Nation, Vince Cauchon, says this:

"We have a lot of respect for the New York Islanders and what they accomplished in the past - the N.H.L. needs the Islanders," Cauchon said. "But it would be great, awesome, if the Thrashers moved. Atlanta is a great sports city, but it's not a hockey town. We're not going to New York to tell the N.H.L. they didn't do a good job going to Atlanta. We're going there to tell them in Quebec it would work."

Let's please quit calling this a peaceful movement to show support for the NHL in Quebec. This was an attempt (futile) to steal another city's team. That's something these people should not support, but they do.

Closed Thread