HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign F Darren Archibald

Old
12-12-2010, 07:36 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Gillis was apparently impressed with beach during their interviews and liked his game. He just felt Cody was the better pick of the two. If Cody wasn't available at the 10 spot, there's a very good chance gillis would have taken beach. I think wetcoaster has the details on this one
Scouting staff wanted Beach, Gillis overruled them and put his stamp on the team by taking the guy he wanted.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 08:21 PM
TheUnrealEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
I guess we beat Atlanta to the punch.
The next Donald Brashear?

TheUnrealEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 09:00 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Scouting staff wanted Beach, Gillis overruled them and put his stamp on the team by taking the guy he wanted.
Not sure Ive heard Gillis say that. I have heard him say it was a very close call between Beach and Hodgson, though. Could you provide a link?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:15 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Not sure Ive heard Gillis say that. I have heard him say it was a very close call between Beach and Hodgson, though. Could you provide a link?
I recall some Province Article I believe saying something along those lines. That the head scouts were pushing for Beach, but MG wanted Hodgson.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:17 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

The size will help for sure, sounds like someone who will slide into the spot Torres has on our 3rd line in a few years if he pans out.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
I recall some Province Article I believe saying something along those lines. That the head scouts were pushing for Beach, but MG wanted Hodgson.
This is probably the one you're thinking of. It wasn't confirmed:

Quote:
One is that nearly every member of the Canucks' hockey department wanted to draft intimidating power forward Kyle Beach in the first round a year ago in Ottawa, but Gillis, at the urging of new and trusted player development guru Dave Gagner, exercised his executive veto and instead chose Hodgson 10th overall because he believed the skilled Ontario centre trumped the Kelowna winger on leadership and integrity.

The other version has the Canucks, in the days leading up to the draft, reaching consensus that Hodgson's reliability, position and character made him a better, safer choice and put him ahead of Beach.

"I think we all got to that conclusion similarly," Gillis said.

Yes, but when? After Hodgson was drafted?
http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...%3Fid%3D830270

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
RH

I don't mind these kind of signings. You might find the next Adam Oates, Martin St.Louis or Alex Burrows.

At least is better than some of the previous regimes efforts (sons of alumni, son of the goalie coach, late round picks with funny names).

RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 11:36 PM
MS

Seems like a quality signing of a guy who has some projectable skills and is dominating in the OHL right now. Especially given that we need some skill forwards in the system.

Gillis needs to unload a few bad prospect contracts, though - having guys like Tochkin, Schneider, Ellington under contract will limit our ability to make signings like this.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:09 AM
jammyrft

so is he staying in the OHL or is he being assigned to the moose?

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
so is he staying in the OHL or is he being assigned to the moose?
He just got traded within the OHL so I'm guessing he'll be starting with the Moose next season

Winroba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Moneypuck signing by Gillis

There seems to be a stigma associated with signing/drafting overagers which means there are bargains to be had - Radko Gudas was I think the earliest overager to be drafted in the 2010 draft (3rd round) - now leads the AHL in plus/minus. Jason Demers is another example. I think Tanev is another such signing, no?

Overall I like the idea very much however for the strategy to work, you have to sign many of them and you have to fail fast when it doesn't work out - I don't think the Canucks have figured out the 2nd part of the equation just yet by the looks of it.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Seems like a quality signing of a guy who has some projectable skills and is dominating in the OHL right now. Especially given that we need some skill forwards in the system.

Gillis needs to unload a few bad prospect contracts, though - having guys like Tochkin, Schneider, Ellington under contract will limit our ability to make signings like this.
By my count this makes 52 contracts, with Andersson and Tochkin being slide contracts, so we're at the limit. Tochkin certainly looks like a bad signing at this point.

Next year those 2 contracts will count and we should sign Anthony and Friesen, meaning we need to clear 4 spots just for those guys before we can even consider UFA's. Fortunately we have a bunch of expirings that will be easy decisions. Peters, Paetch, Schaefer, Baumgartner, Weiman, that's before even the tough decisions.

Some of these will go, some will stay (Andersson, Rypien, Perrault, Shirokov, etc). We should be in good shape with the contract max by the time those decisions are made.

Andy Dufresne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 12:55 AM
windflare

Schaefer's contract doesn't count already - he's been released.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:03 AM
DFAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Couple of fight videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb80...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzIrMOFeGDw

Gives you an indication of one aspect of his game

Shows here he had an invite to the Detroit camp - which is never a bad sign

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?7311
Hah, I remember this guy running the goalie during that playoffs series

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Well, can't hurt really; as mentioned, I'd rather we drop some of our useless prospect contract slots (like Tochkin and Ellington) and take some chances on guys like Archibald.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Agent007

Does anyone know if the contract starts from now or from next season??

If it starts from now then we should be at 49 (not including the contracts that slide) but if it starts next season then we should be at 48.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Well, can't hurt really; as mentioned, I'd rather we drop some of our useless prospect contract slots (like Tochkin and Ellington) and take some chances on guys like Archibald.
I agree with your sentiment but you can't just drop guaranteed contracts. No matter how those guys play, even if they wash out of the ECHL, their contracts are paid and count against the limit.

Unless you buy them out, trade them, or like Schaefer they agree to retire. Schaefer did retire right?

Who would trade for Ellington?

Old
12-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
Does anyone know if the contract starts from now or from next season??

If it starts from now then we should be at 49 (not including the contracts that slide) but if it starts next season then we should be at 48.
The way I understand they all start right away. It wouldn't count until next year if he was slide eligible but he's not because he's 20. 1990 born.

Rodin 90'born, Andersson and Tochkin 91' born, as an example.

Old
12-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
I agree with your sentiment but you can't just drop guaranteed contracts. No matter how those guys play, even if they wash out of the ECHL, their contracts are paid and count against the limit.

Unless you buy them out, trade them, or like Schaefer they agree to retire. Schaefer did retire right?

Who would trade for Ellington?
If Gillis wants to move Ellington, he just needs to trade 2 - 3 minor league contracts to a team who has a player on a 1-way deal that they waived so they save money and pick up some prospects.

Winroba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

The Canucks have a few contracts expiring this year for UFAs including: Nathan Paetsch, Joel Perreault, Andrew Peters and Tyler Weiman. Ellington, unfortunately, is signed through next season as well.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Those expecting an enforcer type can temper their expectations.

The most fights Archibald has had in one season is 4, last season. He may be willing to fight if necessary, but its definitely not his defining attribute.

stevecanuck16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:47 PM
galiano

Seeing him run that goalie makes me think this guy is a moron.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

He signed Schneider and Tochkin. 1 has played pro and came highly recommended by Mike Johnson, while Tochkin is still in Everett?

Tochkin has tons of time to develop. He's almost averaging a PPG in the WHL.

Let me remind folks here that the OHL is a lot more open compared to the WHL. Tochkin also is vastly undersized, but to be able to put a near PPG pace in the WHL is pretty impressive.

Edit: Tochkin is also second on his team in scoring and they're dead last in their division and near the bottom in the league for Goals For. He's also 3rd on his team in a +/-

Stats: http://whl.ca/stats/show/type/skater.../236/subtype/4

Last edited by The Kassian Train: 12-13-2010 at 07:52 PM.
The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Placebo Effect

wrong thread

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:18 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo604 View Post
He signed Schneider and Tochkin. 1 has played pro and came highly recommended by Mike Johnson, while Tochkin is still in Everett?

Tochkin has tons of time to develop. He's almost averaging a PPG in the WHL.

Let me remind folks here that the OHL is a lot more open compared to the WHL. Tochkin also is vastly undersized, but to be able to put a near PPG pace in the WHL is pretty impressive.

Edit: Tochkin is also second on his team in scoring and they're dead last in their division and near the bottom in the league for Goals For. He's also 3rd on his team in a +/-

Stats: http://whl.ca/stats/show/type/skater.../236/subtype/4
Being a small forward with aspirations of turning pro, you'd think he'd have to put up at least more than a point-per-game in junior in order for him to be a scorer at the next level. Add to the fact that he's (supposedly) not a great skater and that hurts his chances even more.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote