HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Music

Old
12-12-2010, 10:34 PM
mitchy22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
So I always see other boards have a lot of posts in music related threads, are Isles fans just not too big on music?
Everyone is currently listening to The Cure.

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:42 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
So I always see other boards have a lot of posts in music related threads, are Isles fans just not too big on music?
I think we are big into music just hard to be excited about too much when your team has one win in 60 days or so LOL.

I like Tame Impala a lot, and this Florence and the Machine album is very good.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Everyone is currently listening to The Cure.
Hey Mitch, big Cure fan here - you?

Saw them at MSG two summers ago and it was the best!

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Hey Mitch, big Cure fan here - you?

Saw them at MSG two summers ago and it was the best!

Sorry BMD, I was trying to allude to some of their darker and more tormented music as a sign of the times around here.

They've got a more varied array of music than that, but I figured somebody would get a chuckle out of it.

Unfortunately, all I've got is The Cure greatest hits CD which I got for next to nothing. (And sadly, it's not even the greatest of their greatest hits' CDs. But who can blame me for messing that up, I root for the NYI.)

Oddly enough, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of The Cure these days, is the A Perfect Circle cover that mixed up Lovesong and Diary of a Madman (Ozzy). I feel like I have a better live version of it somewhere, but for the thread, this is probably the best that Youtube has to offer regarding this:

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Bert Marshall days

.....While The Cure has many depressing real life down tunes, they do have a variety of uplifting tunes to balance. Depends how you look at it.

........JUST LIKE HEAVEN

Old
11-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Augscura

Bumping my old thread because what else is there to talk about these days.

Anyone been to a good show lately? What's everyone been listening to?

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Bert Marshall days

No sleep (or hockey) till BROOKLYN!

Old
11-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Bossyfan71

I'm weird with my music tastes. I love Rock, New Wave, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, etc. My favorite bands range from The Beatles to KISS to Depeche Mode to The Monkees (Yeah, I love the Monkees.) to The Cure to INXS to Metallica.

I told you I was weird with my musical tastes.

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aura View Post

Going to see My Morning Jacket in Port Chester in December. Pretty stoked about that. Best band I've seen live, hands down.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:11 AM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aura View Post

Saw the best concert I've ever seen in Sept; Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at Metlife Stadium. Show was delayed to a little after 10, Bruce still played til after 2AM. After seeing Bruce and the band 7 times, I'm still hungry for more.

As for what I'm listening to, I'm into Alt-Country/Alt-Folk. One of the best bands out there right now, The Avett Brothers, just put out a new album. Another great Alt-Folk band is the one in my avatar, Katzenjammer, an all girl acoustic group from Norway, very different but so very good (and gorgeous to boot!). They have more fun on stage than just about anyone else I've seen. Some of my other favorite artists come out of Europe; Denmark's Tina Dico, Norway's Sondre Lerche, Susanne Sundfør, Jonas Alaska, and Marit Larsen. My other musical tastes range from some of the old guard; The Beatles, The Stones, The Band, Steely Dan, Jackson Browne, James Taylor Warren Zevon...to singer songwriters like Sara Bareilles, Diane Birch, Regina Spektor, and probably the best working singer songwriter out there right now, Josh Ritter.

And to Bossyfan71, I too am a huge Monkees fan! No need to be ashamed! For what its worth, I'm a huge ABBA fan, and I'm proud of it!

Here's Katzenjammer

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Bossyfan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
Saw the best concert I've ever seen in Sept; Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band at Metlife Stadium. Show was delayed to a little after 10, Bruce still played til after 2AM. After seeing Bruce and the band 7 times, I'm still hungry for more.

As for what I'm listening to, I'm into Alt-Country/Alt-Folk. One of the best bands out there right now, The Avett Brothers, just put out a new album. Another great Alt-Folk band is the one in my avatar, Katzenjammer, an all girl acoustic group from Norway, very different but so very good (and gorgeous to boot!). They have more fun on stage than just about anyone else I've seen. Some of my other favorite artists come out of Europe; Denmark's Tina Dico, Norway's Sondre Lerche, Susanne Sundfør, Jonas Alaska, and Marit Larsen. My other musical tastes range from some of the old guard; The Beatles, The Stones, The Band, Steely Dan, Jackson Browne, James Taylor Warren Zevon...to singer songwriters like Sara Bareilles, Diane Birch, Regina Spektor, and probably the best working singer songwriter out there right now, Josh Ritter.

And to Bossyfan71, I too am a huge Monkees fan! No need to be ashamed! For what its worth, I'm a huge ABBA fan, and I'm proud of it!

Here's Katzenjammer
ABBA's great too.

I have tix for The Monkees at The Beacon next month. Really looking forward to the show.

Mike

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Strummergas

Any other GBV fans here? The new record, "The Bears For Lunch", comes out today.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Any other GBV fans here? The new record, "The Bears For Lunch", comes out today.
Nice; I was lucky enough to catch GBV about 13 years ago. Crazy how Robert Pollard just never seems to stop.

I'm going to have to try hard not to write a thesis here....lol.....I've been playing guitar since about 5 (27 years), drums, orchestral percussion, a few horns, bass guitar, keys.....you name it. Started with jazz guitar lessons, grew up on MTV in the early 90's training my ears to identify pitches and not require sheet music. If I'm locked in a room with an instrument for a week, I come out knowing a thing or two about playing it. I've been a music theory/strings instructor since my early 20's as well - teaching music is AWESOME.

Parlayed the passion into becoming an audio engineer/working productions and worked the boards for maybe 500 bands. Sebadoh, Pat Mastelotto (drummer of King Crimson), Graham Reynolds (Scanner Darkly soundtrack composer), Zooey Deschanel, Superchunk, Miike Snow, Minus the Bear......lots...and lot of bands. Got bored playing in bands with Austin's plethora of lazy hipsters and started making electronic music about 8 years ago and haven't looked back - it's nice to be able to work on a project where you're your own dead weight - no one to blame but you if it's never completed.

I'm actually leaving for Berlin on Thursday to do some backpacking and composing, as well as seeing an old buddy with a small electronic label in Paderborn who needs some engineering & mastering help.......and see the Boyz Noise/Spank Rock show conveniently 2 days after I land.

This is going to be an adventure....

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Nice; I was lucky enough to catch GBV about 13 years ago. Crazy how Robert Pollard just never seems to stop.

I'm going to have to try hard not to write a thesis here....lol.....I've been playing guitar since about 5 (27 years), drums, orchestral percussion, a few horns, bass guitar, keys.....you name it. Started with jazz guitar lessons, grew up on MTV in the early 90's training my ears to identify pitches and not require sheet music. If I'm locked in a room with an instrument for a week, I come out knowing a thing or two about playing it. I've been a music theory/strings instructor since my early 20's as well - teaching music is AWESOME.

Parlayed the passion into becoming an audio engineer/working productions and worked the boards for maybe 500 bands. Sebadoh, Pat Mastelotto (drummer of King Crimson), Graham Reynolds (Scanner Darkly soundtrack composer), Zooey Deschanel, Superchunk, Miike Snow, Minus the Bear......lots...and lot of bands. Got bored playing in bands with Austin's plethora of lazy hipsters and started making electronic music about 8 years ago and haven't looked back - it's nice to be able to work on a project where you're your own dead weight - no one to blame but you if it's never completed.

I'm actually leaving for Berlin on Thursday to do some backpacking and composing, as well as seeing an old buddy with a small electronic label in Paderborn who needs some engineering & mastering help.......and see the Boyz Noise/Spank Rock show conveniently 2 days after I land.

This is going to be an adventure....
Impressive resume! I hope things go well for you in Germany. I've been playing bass for about 20 years now, although not pro. I have been able to take the occasional jaunt to UK, Canada, or somewhere here in the Northeast though, and it's always great fun to get on the road.

Relying on others to make music can be incredibly frustrating! Good on you for doing everything yourself and not having to put yourself in a bad position. I'd love to do the same, only electronic music isn't quite my thing and I can't really play any other instruments as well as I can play bass.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Impressive resume! I hope things go well for you in Germany. I've been playing bass for about 20 years now, although not pro. I have been able to take the occasional jaunt to UK, Canada, or somewhere here in the Northeast though, and it's always great fun to get on the road.

Relying on others to make music can be incredibly frustrating! Good on you for doing everything yourself and not having to put yourself in a bad position. I'd love to do the same, only electronic music isn't quite my thing and I can't really play any other instruments as well as I can play bass.
Thank you so much! Always nice to chat with another musician; people don't play an instrument for two decades if they're just fooling around - it takes passion to stick with it that far, even if it's only jamming to iTunes and keeping one's chops tight.

Obviously I'll still be around the boards (and luckily, even if I don't make it to Bern to see JT in action - which is a plan - I have Giroux and Briere playing for Eisbaren Berlin, so I still get my hockey fix.)

As far as electronica goes, it's a mixed bag. If you can hunt and peck your way around a synth enough and still play bass, with an *AWESOME* little program called Ableton Live, and musician can be totally self-sufficient, and regardless of what you know right now/today, it never helps to pick up another skillset, if even only for personal enjoyment. It'll be nice to take my trade on the road again as I haven't really toured or anything for a year and a half. Engineers used to be a hot commodity here before the economy tanked; now bars in the city called "the live music capital of the world" offer engineers like me a nice bar tab to bust our butts (and our ears) all night handling these bands....and now I get to go to a well educated, artistic place where I get a chance to set a good example for all Americans and remind the world that we're all not as bad as Fox & CNN can paint us. I'm looking forward to it, but not without more than a little trepidation. I'm just hoping that I can pick up enough legit work in my field to justify a visa....lol

Always good to meet other music fans; it's a bit of a can of worms, but if you dig GBV, I could likely punt you about 3 dozen different bands, many of which you'll already be familiar with, but some possibly not. I've worked in and around the industry for almost half my life and I'm a total audiophile, so I love opportunities to say "hey, if you like 'x', check out 'y' and you'll likely find another fun band to dig on.

Music helped my sanity when my lower back realized I wasn't Dominik Hasek; I was in college injuring the hell out of myself trying to play hockey and it simply took over. Whatever calm, zen, good graces or ear candy I get to pass along having done what I have is always a treat.

Again, thanks for the well-wishing, and hopefully I can give a few reports about how our boys look on the ice over there!!

Old
11-13-2012, 07:43 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

I'm going to have to try hard not to write a thesis here....
The music stuff is interesting, but are you waiting for a baby? I just saw your caption about the waiting room. Maybe it is a reference about the cba talks?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The music stuff is interesting, but are you waiting for a baby? I just saw your caption about the waiting room. Maybe it is a reference about the cba talks?
Both the name "Caustic Acrostic" and the "In the waiting room" parts are Fugazi references. (one of my fave bands.) The waiting room part is more about waiting for the Islanders to be competitive and (before Brooklyn happened) waiting to see what would happen in 2015.

Odd; it seems youtube isn't so amenable to these links getting dropped in, so I'll do this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RHqYtba2sQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOAXm94VWo

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-14-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Embed YT
Old
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Landed in Berlin a few hours ago; this city is cold, but VIBRANT.

I'd not beleaguer the board with a thread specifically for a travel diary, but I'll at least be giving some updates on whatever hockey I see. Giroux & Briere are both with Eisbären Berlin, but if I can catch JT or Bailey, it's on.

Cheers, folks!!!

Old
11-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Landed in Berlin a few hours ago; this city is cold, but VIBRANT.
I've been to Berlin, but I would not describe it that way. I'm guessing you'll be mostly in Prenzlauer Berg and Hakesche Hofe? I found those places to be as warm inside as they were bleak outside. In general, I found the galleries, bars, and shops and restaurants to be very open and welcoming (great clothes shopping there), but outside it looks and feels like Williamsburg in the winter.

I found Mitte and Tiergarten to be just weird. Forbidding. Didn't like it at all. Except for the Gemaldegalerie, which you could spend a week just on that it's so f'ing amazing.

The other thing that was funny was that Ben Harper was by far the most popular background music in bars and cafes. Ben Harper was the Berlin equivalent of the Buena Social Vista Club soundtrack (enough already).

Enjoy,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 02:35 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I've been to Berlin, but I would not describe it that way. I'm guessing you'll be mostly in Prenzlauer Berg and Hakesche Hofe? I found those places to be as warm inside as they were bleak outside. In general, I found the galleries, bars, and shops and restaurants to be very open and welcoming (great clothes shopping there), but outside it looks and feels like Williamsburg in the winter.

I found Mitte and Tiergarten to be just weird. Forbidding. Didn't like it at all. Except for the Gemaldegalerie, which you could spend a week just on that it's so f'ing amazing.

The other thing that was funny was that Ben Harper was by far the most popular background music in bars and cafes. Ben Harper was the Berlin equivalent of the Buena Social Vista Club soundtrack (enough already).

Enjoy,

Dan-o
Nicely!! The people are SUPER WARM; I just meant the weather - since growing up between Binghamton, NY, New Castle, PA & Mississauga, ON and then spending 8 years in Texas hill country, the 36º weather is something to get used to.

I'm in downtown Berlin; not far from Mitte and pretty damn central. Quite different, but I can get used to this; being an electronica producer, it feels a little more my speed than Austin did, though I moved to Austin more so from a guitar/engineering perspective.

I can get used to this - it's been YEARS since I've traveled like this.

Thanks and cheers!

Old
11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Funny, I've heard both already and had come back to say 'good call.'

Old
11-17-2012, 02:51 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Right now the stuff that I am listening to right now off of my iPod/iTunes is Arctic Monkeys, and Frank Ocean. Also really hoping to go to the Sandy relief concert at MSG.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Right now I'm listening to alot of 'chill' swedish music. Like Miss Li, Melissa Horn etc.

What do you think?

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:55 PM
bvon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Right now I'm listening to alot of 'chill' swedish music. Like Miss Li, Melissa Horn etc.

What do you think?
I like Melissa Horn, especially her song "Hur ska det gå?"

Big fan of Scandinavian music!

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Was just listening to a mix of Metallica in my truck.