HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Your welcome, we are more than excited about the debut, should be awesome. Here's to hoping he wins.

GSP never ceases to amaze me, the guy is an incredible fighter.
Yeah it makes me interested in following him a little closer. Keep us updated.

I know right. It was a pleasure watching George dismantled Koscheck. Some of the hardest jabs I recall seeing.

Early on GSP was going for the take down a little more. To Koscheck's credit he was doing a decent job at stuffing them. The great thing about St. Pierre is he has so many ways to take you apart that he can adjust a little and still pick you completely apart.

Old
12-12-2010, 03:06 PM
oilerfanatic

boooooring fight..as i expected koscheck is no way near the type of competition GSP needs..GSP just needs to move up a weight class or something..he has nothing left to prove at welterweight.

the khan/maidana boxing match was far more entertaining.

Old
12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
noice
The Shield

vCash: 133

Smith shoulda been GSP
stupid Daley

Old
12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Nordic*

I would love to see a tournament with the old UFC-rules where there weren't any weight classes. That would be so amazing.

Old
12-13-2010, 12:50 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I would love to see a tournament with the old UFC-rules where there weren't any weight classes. That would be so amazing.
That's what I want, but I'm not sure fighters are into that anymore.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's what I want, but I'm not sure fighters are into that anymore.
Give them enough money and a chance to settle who the best fighter on the face of the earth is.

Money talks

Old
12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Give them enough money and a chance to settle who the best fighter on the face of the earth is.

Money talks
No 165 fighter is going to be fighting the likes of Velasquez or Lesnar when their livelihood as a fighter depends on their bodies staying healthy, no matter how much money is involved right now. Their futures are worth much more, especially for a guy like GSP who has been creating new fans just based on his namesake alone.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by noice View Post

Smith shoulda been GSP
stupid Daley
What could Daley possibly have down to prevent GSP's take downs? He couldn't stop Koschecks, and once GSP got him down he would have done a hell of a lot more than Koscheck did.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
awesomo
HARD!

GSP's training with the best pound for pound fighter's coach (Freddie Roach) definitely helped out. His punches were like Pacquaio-esque and brutalizing the eye was how Pacquaio destroyed Margarito

Old
12-14-2010, 01:03 AM
PepsiFiend

Anyone watch the k1 event on the weekend also? Nice to see Overeem win it, too bad they didnt get their Schilt/Overeem matchup but I am happy Aerts was the guy to beat Schilt... Saki/Ghita was epic, Saki also was giving Overeem some trouble standing... Overall K1 delivers another great event.

Old
12-14-2010, 03:48 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
Anyone watch the k1 event on the weekend also? Nice to see Overeem win it, too bad they didnt get their Schilt/Overeem matchup but I am happy Aerts was the guy to beat Schilt... Saki/Ghita was epic, Saki also was giving Overeem some trouble standing... Overall K1 delivers another great event.
I watched a lot of this, if Saki had two arms I think he takes that fight.. too bad really, he was driving the fight before Overeem got a sniff of how vulnerable he was

Not to take anything away from Overeem, pretty convincing wins throughout. He managed to stay untouched

Old
12-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah it makes me interested in following him a little closer. Keep us updated.

I know right. It was a pleasure watching George dismantled Koscheck. Some of the hardest jabs I recall seeing.

Early on GSP was going for the take down a little more. To Koscheck's credit he was doing a decent job at stuffing them. The great thing about St. Pierre is he has so many ways to take you apart that he can adjust a little and still pick you completely apart.
I will definitely keep you updated. GSP has so many weapons, it is a real treat watching him work. I just wish he could have submitted Koscheck, but you are right, to his credit he hung in there.

Old
12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
I have only seen the Aerts/Schilt fight and the Overeem/Aerts fight. But good stuff with what I did manage to catch.

On a side note Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that they have signed a 3 year deal with MTV2!

That is great for me. Instead of just getting that little half hour highlight show on NBC. I am hoping this means full events.

It says MTV2 will air the season plus special events likely starting in March 2011.

http://mmaweekly.com/bellator-signs-...ir-mma-on-mtv2

Old
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
I watched a lot of this, if Saki had two arms I think he takes that fight.. too bad really, he was driving the fight before Overeem got a sniff of how vulnerable he was

Not to take anything away from Overeem, pretty convincing wins throughout. He managed to stay untouched
meh. Saki was all about the spin kick. I mean wheres the honor and respect in that?

How embarrassed would Overeem be if that spin kick landed?

Keep that showboating stuff in Europe, this is respectful MMA.

Old
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
I have only seen the Aerts/Schilt fight and the Overeem/Aerts fight. But good stuff with what I did manage to catch.

On a side note Bellator Fighting Championships announced today that they have signed a 3 year deal with MTV2!

That is great for me. Instead of just getting that little half hour highlight show on NBC. I am hoping this means full events.

It says MTV2 will air the season plus special events likely starting in March 2011.

http://mmaweekly.com/bellator-signs-...ir-mma-on-mtv2
Bellator has been on the Score for the past two years.

Old
12-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
GSP's training with the best pound for pound fighter's coach (Freddie Roach) definitely helped out. His punches were like Pacquaio-esque and brutalizing the eye was how Pacquaio destroyed Margarito
Great point. He brought him in for the series as well. Helped coach some of the trainee fighters. He took that jab to the next level. Broken orbital bone and surgey to repair it.

Old
12-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Bellator has been on the Score for the past two years.
I do not get the Score down here. I also did not know that it was on there though. Thanks for the info. I guess it will not change much up there then presumably.

All I got here was the half hour weekly highlights show (on NBC at 2 AM - DVR'd it of course haha). Which was cool but I am not a fan of edited down highlights where you just gets snippets of the fights. Though every now and then they would show close to an entire fight or if it was a short knock out or submission then you get the whole thing.

The first season I did not get at all when it was only on the Spanish ESPN channel. So this is all good news for me personally and probably some other posters living in the US or elsewhere.

Old
12-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
I do not get the Score down here. I also did not know that it was on there though. Thanks for the info. I guess it will not change much up there then presumably.

All I got here was the half hour weekly highlights show (on NBC at 2 AM - DVR'd it of course haha). Which was cool but I am not a fan of edited down highlights where you just gets snippets of the fights. Though every now and then they would show close to an entire fight or if it was a short knock out or submission then you get the whole thing.

The first season I did not get at all when it was only on the Spanish ESPN channel. So this is all good news for me personally and probably some other posters living in the US or elsewhere.
My bad. I completely forgot that you were south of the border. I guess I'm a little spoiled here in that sense than. It seems like it's on too much sometimes. They tend to play re-runs. The edited fights are virtually pointless like you said. Unless there is a real highligh finish. Otherwise it doesn't give you a real feel for the fighters mindframe, fighting style, strategy or the importance of the fight.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
My bad. I completely forgot that you were south of the border. I guess I'm a little spoiled here in that sense than. It seems like it's on too much sometimes. They tend to play re-runs. The edited fights are virtually pointless like you said. Unless there is a real highligh finish. Otherwise it doesn't give you a real feel for the fighters mindframe, fighting style, strategy or the importance of the fight.
I will take the on too much thing no problem haha. That is cool though a more mid-level company like Bellator is widely available in Canada and has been as you said earlier for a long while.

Yes exactly you do not get a feel for the fight at all. I would rather have that than nothing, but it was frustrating to watch sometimes. Oh great this looks like it was a great fight and I get to watch half of one round haha.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:27 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
meh. Saki was all about the spin kick. I mean wheres the honor and respect in that?

How embarrassed would Overeem be if that spin kick landed?

Keep that showboating stuff in Europe, this is respectful MMA.
tee hee

Old
12-15-2010, 09:14 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
shogun v. Rashad March 19, 2011 Newark NJ

cant wait for this, Shogun is my favorite fighter ever. he has had some lumps along the way and the knees and broken arm were set backs but he is one of, if not the most exciting fighter to watch. the last machida fight looked more like the Shogun who kicked and knee'd rampage into a crumple and obliterated Overeem and Arona in the same night. cant wait for this fight. Rashads boring dump and hump style will get him knocked out cold.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:28 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
shogun v. Rashad March 19, 2011 Newark NJ

cant wait for this, Shogun is my favorite fighter ever. he has had some lumps along the way and the knees and broken arm were set backs but he is one of, if not the most exciting fighter to watch. the last machida fight looked more like the Shogun who kicked and knee'd rampage into a crumple and obliterated Overeem and Arona in the same night. cant wait for this fight. Rashads boring dump and hump style will get him knocked out cold.
I can't see Rashad doing that well against Shogun. As long as Shogun is healthy he should dominate Rashad.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:40 AM
joestevens29

Just checking the 129 lineup and looks like there is some decent potential there.

Ortiz-Nogueria, Omigawa-Mendes booked and a potential of Mir-Schaub.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:37 PM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post

True, Saki was in tough to have to face Ghita in round 1... would have been nice if Badr Hari would stop being a crazy person for one year and get his **** together...

Final WEC tomorrow night, 2 title fights in Henderson/Pettis and Cruz/Jorgenson... also a big step up for Horodecki vs Cerrone

Old
12-15-2010, 04:07 PM
twisted by dezign

I'm glad Overeem won the K1 Grand Prix. Now I hope he fights a lot more in MMA!

Closed Thread