HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2010, 05:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He's the one I know most of on this list and I like him alot.
If the Rangers continue to be a playoff team, I don't think they get near him, as it sounds like he's going top 10. (Yeah, I know, there's a lot of hockey left to be played.) Right now, though, it looks like the Rangers will be in their familiar 17-22 slot. I'm thinking centers and RWs. Jenner, Namestnikov, Rattie and Jurco all seem to be possibilities right now...maybe the Rangers trade up for someone like Rask, considering they have the requisite extra 2nd round pick to make such a deal.

Old
12-13-2010, 07:33 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Consider me a member of the Ryan Strome bandwagon this year...though I doubt we have a shot at him when all is said and done.

12-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If the Rangers continue to be a playoff team, I don't think they get near him, as it sounds like he's going top 10. (Yeah, I know, there's a lot of hockey left to be played.) Right now, though, it looks like the Rangers will be in their familiar 17-22 slot. I'm thinking centers and RWs. Jenner, Namestnikov, Rattie and Jurco all seem to be possibilities right now...maybe the Rangers trade up for someone like Rask, considering they have the requisite extra 2nd round pick to make such a deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Consider me a member of the Ryan Strome bandwagon this year...though I doubt we have a shot at him when all is said and done.

Fellas, have we learned anything? The draft is over 6 months away, plenty of time for players to rise and fall. I started touting Johansen at this time last year. He went from late first rounder to #4 overall ! Mcilrath late first to #10 overall ! Fowler went out of top 10 !

I see alot of guys who could rise in this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not exactly sure how you can be down on Yogan. There is a load of potential in that kid, but unfortunately he's injured.

Have you ever seen the kid play?
I like Yogan too and have seen him play, but Pulkkinen looks like a sniper and he's playing in a competitive league.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Well, we cant draft snipers with every pick. Yogan is a guy who could have a very effective career on the bottom 6. Center or wing..

Old
12-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Well, we cant draft snipers with every pick. Yogan is a guy who could have a very effective career on the bottom 6. Center or wing..
Yeah, this team is just too sniper heavy

Old
12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I love the kid, a great pick for sure. I would even say that Fasth is on track to become a NHLer.

He is a very good skater. Think Ryan Callahan for example (more then say Sjöström/Kreider/Semin). He gets in real fast on the forecheck. Offensively, if he gets like a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 he often can use his speed to his advantage and create a little more space then what most players can do.

Fasth isn't very big, but for his age he is actually pretty strong. He takes the body and is good defensively. He'll block shots et c.

With the puck, he has a lot of creativity. He is excellent at finding the trailing player and he can turn a D inside out. He has a decent shot too.

Think of a Swedish Ryan Callahan. I've not seen like offensive goto type of hockey from him. He he has a lot of offense in him, don't get me wrong, but he isn't the type who sets up at the far boards on the PP and bangs his stick against the ice to get the puck. He isn't a Bäckström type. He isn't a Alfredsson type. But he is extremely modern in his style. He works really really hard. He is a good skater. He goes hard to the net. But, in comparision with for example the past generation, he can do everything else, and does, on occasion.

Natrually he is still so young that the above can change. But thats how he projects now IMHO. I would personally rank him just below only our absolute top prospects (MZA, Kreider and Grachev up front). The kid is doing very well in the SEL.
Thanks, I've only seen limited footage but this is in line with the opinion I was forming. Ola, your thoughts on Patrik Noren? Again, haven't seen much, but what I did see was very intriguing.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I like Yogan too and have seen him play, but Pulkkinen looks like a sniper and he's playing in a competitive league.
I didn't mean it as a swipe against Pulkkinen (who you know I had rated as a potential late 1st round selection :p ) just that there's little reason to be down on Yogan at this point. I was certainly surprised to see us take Yogan ahead of Pulkkinen, but I'd take him over Telegin and Ramage easily. Tom Kuehnhackl isn't one of the guys I was particularly fond of going into the draft either.

Given Clarke's comments, I'd be surprised to see many Europeans or Russians in our sights this year, unless we see another Cherepanov situation.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Given Clarke's comments, I'd be surprised to see many Europeans or Russians in our sights this year, unless we see another Cherepanov situation.
I don't see how any team can shy away from taking Swedes. They are the lowest risk, IMO. Not that I'm saying we will do that, since we did pick Fasth (and he's probably my 2nd favorite of the 2010 picks after Thomas).

Old
12-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I didn't mean it as a swipe against Pulkkinen (who you know I had rated as a potential late 1st round selection :p ) just that there's little reason to be down on Yogan at this point. I was certainly surprised to see us take Yogan ahead of Pulkkinen, but I'd take him over Telegin and Ramage easily. Tom Kuehnhackl isn't one of the guys I was particularly fond of going into the draft either.

Yeah, not down on Yogan, just thought Pulkkinen's fall was unwarranted, mainly cause of size and injury issues, and look what happens, Yogan gets injured. I'd take Yogan over Telegin, Ram and Kuenhackl too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't see how any team can shy away from taking Swedes. They are the lowest risk, IMO. Not that I'm saying we will do that, since we did pick Fasth (and he's probably my 2nd favorite of the 2010 picks after Thomas).
Yeah, I would not be shocked if we took, say, Victor Rask in this years draft. Rangers have the need and desire to draft skilled Centers right now. But who knows, they scouted Johansen pretty heavy last year only to see him climb higher and higher out of their range.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean "none" but I think they're looking for players that play the north / south game effectively. Clarke said they were targeting Canadian kids this year, but of course I'm only speculating as to whether or not that mentality will carry over to 2011 and beyond.

Lots of skill in the top end of this draft as well, from both sides of the pond.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean "none" but I think they're looking for players that play the north / south game effectively. Clarke said they were targeting Canadian kids this year, but of course I'm only speculating as to whether or not that mentality will carry over to 2011 and beyond.

Lots of skill in the top end of this draft as well, from both sides of the pond.
IMO, the best approach is to draft a good mix every year. Obviously, it depends on who is available when it's your turn to pick and there are years when certain countries don't have a lot going on for them. In general, however, I want to see a little bit of everything. Biggest scouting mistake most teams in this league made for years upon years was not paying enough attention to Sweden, and to a lesser extent, Russia. Not scouting their lower leagues, or their junior teams, etc.

Swedish hockey places more of an emphasis on fundamentals than any other, IMO. The way Russian hockey USED to. And any player I draft should be, at the very least, solid in the fundamentals. That way, if he busts, at the very least, he could still be of some use.

Old
12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Put me on the swedish/russian bandwagon. I think this team can use some of the "flash" that some people either complain about or love. And truth is for those that don't have flash they usually play a very sound form of hockey (never got the "lazy russian" stereotype.) I'm of the idea that you should always go for "underrated" Euros in the later rounds. We did it with Horak and Hagelin and Fasth...and Hank ... and so far those guys are turning out pretty good.

Old
12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

Top end is solid, depth sucks. Hence why I'm all for moving this 1st round pick at the deadline if it can get us something nice.

****, even the top end is questionable. Not a single, sure fire #1 pick. It's changed consistently throughout the year. Always a sign of a bad draft.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
For the record, I'm not doom and gloom like I think this draft is another 1999. More like 2002. Some good players at the top end and a player here and there sprinkled through who turns out to be really good, but a bunch of mediocre players for the most part.

2002 produced 5 really good players: JayBo, Rick Nash, Cam Ward, Duncan Keith, and Alex Semin.

Other than that? There's some solid guys. A few top 4 d-men, some bottom 6 forwards, etc. The top end was solid (with a few surprise picks, such as Keith), but the draft is, overall, very unimpressive.

And I think that's a high end view of this draft. It could definitely go much worse if the players don't pan out.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Just the draft for us to have two second round picks.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Top end is solid, depth sucks. Hence why I'm all for moving this 1st round pick at the deadline if it can get us something nice.

****, even the top end is questionable. Not a single, sure fire #1 pick. It's changed consistently throughout the year. Always a sign of a bad draft.
IT'll be years, but I can't wait until this draft prove you wrong. You've been pissing on it like this since 2009. Pretty cocky of you to think you have a handle on something that far away, especially someone who has witnessed countless drafts that were labeled incorrectly by pros and amateurs alike.

This draft might not look like much to a casual observer, but in reality, these are the young players who are playing the current NHL game and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this draft class produces many two way valuable NHL players. I'm not hyping it up to be amazing, but if you discount it cause of lack of high end talent you'll miss out on some gems.

Remember, you hated the Giants Pierre-Paul pick and look how wrong you were about that

Old
12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

This draft might not look like much to a casual observer, but in reality, these are the young players who are playing the current NHL game and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this draft class produces many two way valuable NHL players. I'm not hyping it up to be amazing, but if you discount it cause of lack of high end talent you'll miss out on some gems.
See, this is why i'm having a hard time getting a grasp on this draft. Some guys are like Jon and are saying that past the top of the 1st round it's not really solid pickings. However, other guys I see talk about how the entire first round will have solid players, and then there will be some gems in the later rounds to be picked.

Which is it?

Old
12-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Kabanov was a "consensus" top-5 pick for 2010 in the summer of 09, and the scouting reports certainly didn't have guys like Johansen, Nino, and Skinner going ahead of Fowler and Gormley. There is no consenus #1 because there are 3 (maybe even 4 if you're a big Landeskog fan) guys who could potentially go 1st overall. There's really something for everyone in the top 10 of this draft as far as I'm concerned.

Are the later rounds as good as previous years? Perhaps not, but it's far too early to tell. However, I think you've been blinded by the pundits a little too much on this one.

The only sign of a bad draft is 5 years down the road when players are struggling in the NHL.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
See, this is why i'm having a hard time getting a grasp on this draft. Some guys are like Jon and are saying that past the top of the 1st round it's not really solid pickings. However, other guys I see talk about how the entire first round will have solid players, and then there will be some gems in the later rounds to be picked.

Which is it?
It looks good to me cause I'm not enamored with adding only top end talent.

There are many good players in the first round, after that is a crapshoot, like every other draft. It'd be a huge mistake to dismiss good players cause they're not scoring at a 2 point per game pace or because they're not 6'4 240lbs. That kind of thinking lets the Eberle's and Giroux's of the world to be stolen later.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
But a player's willingness to take a hit can also change based on the way their physique changes. With how good Fowler is, and how incredibly important he is to Anaheim's future, they're obviously going to put a lot into making sure he develops physically, as well. I imagine that will alter the way he thinks the game eventually.
The Oilers had McIlrath in their Top 7 (behind Fowler), if it helps the guys from you think Sather went off the board.
I was not so much surprised that Mc Ilrath was picked at 10. I was sure that he won't pass #15.
That Fowler and Gromely went so late surprised me, tho. I think they are both better D prospects, but McIlrath is a very interesting prospect, too. You should be glad to have him in your system and looking forward how he proceed.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

My early favorite player in the draft is Matthew Nieto.

Strong character kid. Grew up in gang riddled neighborhood in California. Was better then that, was raised right. Used hockey to stay focused and do right.

A scorer that prides himself on a two way responsible game.

He's about Callahan's size right now 5-11, 180 and could grow.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Can we please have a draft thread?!

Old
12-13-2010, 02:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Strong character kid. Grew up in gang riddled neighborhood in California. Was better then that, was raised right. Used hockey to stay focused and do right.

That sounds like a Ranger pick. Great character. Hard worker. Where is he supposed to go?

Old
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbaum View Post
The Oilers had McIlrath in their Top 7 (behind Fowler), if it helps the guys from you think Sather went off the board.
I was not so much surprised that Mc Ilrath was picked at 10. I was sure that he won't pass #15.
That Fowler and Gromely went so late surprised me, tho. I think they are both better D prospects, but McIlrath is a very interesting prospect, too. You should be glad to have him in your system and looking forward how he proceed.
If 7 GM's liked DM that high its still only 7 GM's out of 30 that would've taken him in that spot.

I am looking forward to the day he proves me wrong, thats the kinda wrong I can handle. But I'm underwhelmed with what I've seen so far. Although its early and he's been injured, you don't have to watch his every game to know he hasn't displayed the attributes that supposedly got him to #10 overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Nieto also had a very good U-18 last Spring. Creates offense and turnovers on the forecheck. Would be a good mid to late 1st rounder. I really like his BU teammate Adam Clendening, slick playmaking Dman.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I'm pretty sure anyone that ends up with Larsson or RNH is going to be very, very happy. Not sure why you're so down on this draft. There's a bunch of guys that'll go in the first round that excite me: Murphy, Landeskog, Armia, Rask, Jensen. It's not the strongest draft, I'll give you that, but there are some solid players. And like every draft, it's got its fair share of overrated players, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbaum View Post
That doesn't give me the slightest bit of comfort, unfortunately.

Quote:
You should be glad to have him in your system and looking forward how he proceed.
Considering how I imagine he'll turn out, I'm not looking forward to it all.

Closed Thread