HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerbe's 2 goals in 40 NHL gp

Old
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Gerbe's 2 goals in 40 NHL gp

Is this cause for concern about his ability to be a full-time NHLer? Yes, he looked good at times with Vanek and Roy, but I'm pretty sure his contributions in the offensive department need to be ramped up if he wants to be an NHL regular.

I'm curious as to how patient you're willing to be with Nate...

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

If he doesn't start really scoring soon, then I would honestly rather have Marc Mancari playing.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:42 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'd happily move him if the price was right.

Butler and Gerbe for a decent young centerman? Absolutely.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Please

Weird, I thought he was one of the most impressive Sabres against the leafs, fast with great hands. Inconsistent?

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please View Post
Weird, I thought he was one of the most impressive Sabres against the leafs, fast with great hands. Inconsistent?
He's shown flashes of being a really good player. The problem is his size. If he isn't producing, then he's kind of useless, because that's his job. He's looked good playing with Vanek and Roy, and I expect him to start getting his points, though.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
He's shown flashes of being a really good player. The problem is his size. If he isn't producing, then he's kind of useless, because that's his job. He's looked good playing with Vanek and Roy, and I expect him to start getting his points, though.
His play has been on the upswing since his prior callup - but the goals need to start coming IMO.

I bring up the total # of goals scored because of his reputation/knack, as we all assumed he was to be a conributor offensively if he was going to stick.

So again: how patient are you willing to be? If he doesn't produce numbers but doesn't look out of place, what do you think?

Old
12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Moskau

It's only cause for concern if you thought a 5'4" Hockey player was going to be an effective scorer.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
It's only cause for concern if you thought a 5'4" Hockey player was going to be an effective scorer.
this ^

Many of his predicted exactly this... lots of flash, visible skill, but will yield little result.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Whammer

I'm ready for the experiment to end. I thought he and Ennis wouldn't be able to cut it due to their size, but at lease Ennis has put the biscuit in the basket a few times. Nate's been given the opportunity to play with the top offensive talent on the team and can't produce.

Time to move on.

Whammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Players like him don't just bust into the NHL and rack up tons of goals and points. They take time to develop. You're probably gonna have to wait at least another 2-3 years before you really see Gerbe start to produce.

St. Louis had 4 goals in his first 69 games, and didn't start producing good numbers until his 5th NHL season. Gionta didn't even hit the 30+ point mark until his 4th NHL season (would've been his 5th had it not been for the lock-out). It takes longer for players this small to adjust to the NHL style, but once they do, they're just as effective, or at times even more effective than the bigger players.

Why are people pulling the plug on 40 ****ing games? That's not nearly long enough for a player to adapt and be an effective producer. Give the kid time, lots of time, and it'll pay off. Most of the top producing stars in the NHL spent YEARS with below average numbers before they broke out and became stars.

Gerbe is creating a lot of offense this year, but he just can't finish. In time he will get that finishing touch, just give him some damn time.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
doesn't produce numbers but doesn't look out of place, what do you think?
That's a 4th line energy player. Exactly what I though Gerbe would end up becoming. If Gerbe can chip in 10 goals a year while playing smart Hockey I would be very happy.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Just to point out..... Marty St. Louis only had 4 goals in his first 69 NHL games. Not putting Gerbe in the same level... only that it can sometimes take time.

12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
His play has been on the upswing since his prior callup - but the goals need to start coming IMO.

I bring up the total # of goals scored because of his reputation/knack, as we all assumed he was to be a conributor offensively if he was going to stick.

So again: how patient are you willing to be? If he doesn't produce numbers but doesn't look out of place, what do you think?
If he doesn't produce numbers then he has to go. Playing with Roy and Vanek, the numbers WOULD come if he belongs in the NHL playing a top 6 role. There's no way he wouldn't put up decent numbers if he played well. He's playing well now, so I expect him to start getting some points.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post

Why are people pulling the plug on 40 ****ing games? That's not nearly long enough for a player to adapt and be an effective producer. Give the kid time, lots of time, and it'll pay off. Most of the top producing stars in the NHL spent YEARS with below average numbers before they broke out and became stars.
I don't think many people are. Many people have wanted to sit Ennis with little mention of Gerbe. Gerbe isn't costing the team goals on a regular basis so I have no problem with him playing.

There's also a 5"+ gap between Gerbe and St Louis.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
If he doesn't produce numbers then he has to go. Playing with Roy and Vanek, the numbers WOULD come if he belongs in the NHL playing a top 6 role. There's no way he wouldn't put up decent numbers if he played well. He's playing well now, so I expect him to start getting some points.
What are you talking about? He's our smallest player, yet he's still our best hitter besides Kaleta and Weber. Gerbe lights people up more than Gaustad, Grier, and maybe even McCormick. And he's good defensively already, very rarely to you see him make a turnover or mistake due to selfishness or laziness. He IS an effective checking line player who STILL HAS a ton of untapped offensive potential. You don't get rid of those players when they only play 40 NHL games.

Quote:
Sadly, some people around here think that if a rookie doesn't produce good numbers out of the gate, they're a bust.

Quote:
I don't think many people are. Many people have wanted to sit Ennis with little mention of Gerbe. Gerbe isn't costing the team goals on a regular basis so I have no problem with him playing.

There's also a 5"+ gap between Gerbe and St Louis.
Yeah, and I've never seen St. Louis throw hits or use his body like Gerbe can. And according to NHL.com, there's only a 3" gap. Gerbe is 5'5", St. Louis is 5'8".

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just to point out..... Marty St. Louis only had 4 goals in his first 69 NHL games. Not putting Gerbe in the same level... only that it can sometimes take time.
Well, they are similar players, so it isn't totally out of line. Good point!

Old
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Absolutely true. I am a self-admitted detractor of his - I've had serious doubts about his size and being able to overcome it to produce at the rate his offensive skillset eludes to.

The St. Louis comparison is interesting, because the immediate thought is "oh, well Marty only blossomed because of the new rules." Not true. He was a player right before the lockout. So who knows? I didn't expect anything from Gerbe myself, but I'm curious to hear what his supporters have to say on the notion of having patience with him.

Old
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I think he might be ok, but I'm not sure this team can afford yet another player in the top 6 that isn't producing right now.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
That's a 4th line energy player. Exactly what I though Gerbe would end up becoming. If Gerbe can chip in 10 goals a year while playing smart Hockey I would be very happy.
I like him in an energy role. He's fast and dogged on the puck. The downside is that he gets consumed along the wall and in traffic.

Not that I'm ready just yet to pull the plug. I like what I'm seeing with him on the Roy-Vanek line right now. If things start to pop for him, it could open up some good things. And if not... then they have an effective miniature energy guy.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Absolutely true. I am a self-admitted detractor of his - I've had serious doubts about his size and being able to overcome it to produce at the rate his offensive skillset eludes to.

The St. Louis comparison is interesting, because the immediate thought is "oh, well Marty only blossomed because of the new rules." Not true. He was a player right before the lockout. So who knows? I didn't expect anything from Gerbe myself, but I'm curious to hear what his supporters have to say on the notion of having patience with him.
T'bay originally took a chance on him (and his UV Cat teammate Eric Perrin) and it paid off. Martin is a dedicated, deteremined individual who was able to overcome. Who knows if Gerbe will even turn into an effective scoring line player... but it isn't unheard of for a guy to take some time to get going in the league.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Moskau

One problem I have with the Gerbe and St Louis comparisons is that even when he wasn't scoring goals it was apparent how skilled St Louis was. Gerbe has always been more of the hard working smart type. He has obviously worked his ass off his entire life to get where he has and he knows where to go to score goals. In College and the AHL that is enough to produce, hell most of the top scorers in the AHL are exactly like Gerbe. St Louis has ungodly vision for a man his size, his hands are top notch and his shot is fast hard and accurate. Gerbe isn't always going to be able to score the way he's used to scoring because he will be completely negated in size.

St Louis was also allowed to get top minutes on a crappy team with other budding star linemates. Something that Buffalo can't allow Gerbe to do.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
One problem I have with the Gerbe and St Louis comparisons is that even when he wasn't scoring goals it was apparent how skilled St Louis was. Gerbe has always been more of the hard working smart type. He has obviously worked his ass off his entire life to get where he has and he knows where to go to score goals. In College and the AHL that is enough to produce, hell most of the top scorers in the AHL are exactly like Gerbe. St Louis has ungodly vision for a man his size, his hands are top notch and his shot is fast hard and accurate.

St Louis was also allowed to get top minutes on a crappy team with other budding star linemates. Something that Buffalo can't allow Gerbe to do.

All great points. Gerbe has to find his own way to succeed and if it is as a high-speed, pesky checker? So be it. If the kid makes the forecheck better and is competitive defensively so that his opposite number isn't scoring... good.

And I've mentioned before, I wonder what he'd be like in the middle with that sort of game. The defensive zone part would likely be his undoing as stronger players would be able to outbattle him low... yet, the idea intrigues me just enough to be distracting.

Edit - and the biggest one (pun intended) is that St. Louis IS a bigger man. He's not big, but he's still bigger... and in a game where muscle mass is important, it matters.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Not at all, he consistently doesn't score.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Last summer we discussed about having 4 midgets, picking 2 and getting rid of the other 2. Kennedy is gone, which leave 3 left; Ennis, Gerbe and Roy.

Roy has solidified himself as the Sabres best offensive player.

So who would you rather have: Gerbe or Ennis?

Personally, Gerbe does nothing for me. He seems to be laying on the ice too much. Yes, I like his hustle but I have also seen him get bounced off players too much. No points to speak of, easily defended because of his size. Comparing him to St Louis is interesting but I could care less what he did in his first 60 games. He is a team leader in Tampa and has been a ppg player for almost 10 years.

Our team needs ssome size and toughness, not another finess small guy.

Last word.....what happened in the first round of the playoffs last year....we got our butts kicked because we had no team toughness.

Ennis and Roy are staying, time to deal Gerbe.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Last summer we discussed about having 4 midgets, picking 2 and getting rid of the other 2. Kennedy is gone, which leave 3 left; Ennis, Gerbe and Roy.

Roy has solidified himself as the Sabres best offensive player.

So who would you rather have: Gerbe or Ennis?

Personally, Gerbe does nothing for me. He seems to be laying on the ice too much. Yes, I like his hustle but I have also seen him get bounced off players too much. No points to speak of, easily defended because of his size. Comparing him to St Louis is interesting but I could care less what he did in his first 60 games. He is a team leader in Tampa and has been a ppg player for almost 10 years.

Our team needs ssome size and toughness, not another finess small guy.

Last word.....what happened in the first round of the playoffs last year....we got our butts kicked because we had no team toughness.
Ennis and Roy are staying, time to deal Gerbe.
...which is an odd arguement for anyone who watched the Bruins series and how Gerbe was the stick that stirred the Sabres drink in the two games he was in. They got beat because they sucked down the middle and were terrible on specialty teams. Toughness? Really??