HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

I as wondering what it would take for us (Leafs) to get T.Ruutu?

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Ruutu isn't going to be that much better if at all than either Stajan or Antropov
Oh my God. How did I not see this until now.

Hall of Fame contender, no doubt.

Old
06-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I agree, but as I stated before...Ruutu is one of the few prospects I've seen that has REALLY impressed me to the point that I consider him an almost can't-miss superstar...and I'm certainly no Hawks fan. As I mentioned in the Crosby thread...I feel Ruutu is a safer pick than ANYONE. And I mean anyone.
You have to admire a Nashville fan who can say this about a ChiHawks' player. Cheers to the objectivity.

Old
06-12-2005, 04:44 PM
London Knights

Ruutu is one of those guys you just don't trade. However, strictly speaking I would have concern over his injury problems early on. They could just as easily go away, but to take a player who has been mentioned several times (with varying degrees of sarcasm) Nik Antropov was a much better prospect than he has turned out to date, and the problem was injuries. They really screwed up his development, adding to the fact that as a bigger guy they tend to take longer to reach full stride. He was good enough that at the time of the draft Detroit viewed him as potentially the steal of the draft. Things didn't pan out.

Ruutu definatley looks like a dominant player for years, but I would be a little hesitant on him solely because of the early injuriest. Definatley a top 10 prospect as far as I am concerned though. His two way ability (as a European no less...take that Don) makes him a solid candidate to be winning MVP awards at some point in his career.

The leafs do have the assets to make a deal for Ruutu, but it is far too steep to make because it would require too many players as they lack the # of high quality blue chip prospects that a team would want in return.

Old
06-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I think 5 1st rounders would make them atleast think about trading him...
I don't.

Five first rounders from a good team like the Leafs would be late round picks. Chances of getting a player of Ruutu's potential late in the first round, are not good. And, by the time any of those players even begins to make it to the NHL, Ruutu will already be a leader in the NHL.

If Chicago was willing to move Ruutu (and, obviously they are not) I think the package would have to include young players who are ready to step in (Stajan, Steen) as well as picks.

Maybe Stajan, Steen, and 1st rounder.

Old
06-12-2005, 05:37 PM
GaryU

As was already mentioned, the Hawks would be crazy to trade Ruutu for picks. How long do you think we want to rebuild? We're down, not stupid. We won't lose Ruutu til he asks for some money (see Roenick, Belfour, Larmer, etc...).

Old
06-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Gardebut30

The horse is dead. No reason to keep beating it.

Old
06-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
You need to watch more hockey. The only part of Ruutu's game that Crosby doesn't equal or exceed is hitting. And by hitting I mean going out of his way to hit people. Crosby doesn't go running for people and won't make a hit if it puts him out of position, but he loves to get involved in just as much physical contact and works harder in the corners and along the boards than Ruutu.
We'll just agree to disagree there, I just think you're flat-out wrong with the last sentence.

Old
06-13-2005, 04:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I don't.

Five first rounders from a good team like the Leafs would be late round picks. Chances of getting a player of Ruutu's potential late in the first round, are not good. And, by the time any of those players even begins to make it to the NHL, Ruutu will already be a leader in the NHL.

If Chicago was willing to move Ruutu (and, obviously they are not) I think the package would have to include young players who are ready to step in (Stajan, Steen) as well as picks.

Maybe Stajan, Steen, and 1st rounder.
Depends on how huge the RFA offer Toronto gives him. Lets face it, that'd be the only way. 5 1sts or destruction of available cap space to keep him. Be a poisoned pick by TO even if they did get him since it'd cost too much cap.

Closed Thread