HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux or Carter

View Poll Results: Who is the better player
Claude Giroux 56 62.92%
Jeff Carter 14 15.73%
Equal/Too close 19 21.35%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2010, 04:37 PM
  #76
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post


Obviously, if Carter stops producing -- and helping others on the ice produce -- then those "facts" will cease to be true.

If Giroux stops producing, a similar result will occur.

Then again, Carter has been this teams best even strength forward the last few years...
Giroux does not have to score goals to produce, he has the ability to spread the ice with his ability to pass the puck. He can create an advantage by his puckhandling ability that Carter does not have. Defense cannot attack him with the puck, they will stay a stick length away and use the stick to block the lanes. With Carter the defense attacks and closes the space because they do not have to worry as much about him beating anyone one on one or passing to the open space and creating a mismatch in that open area or a pass to the point for a shot.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:42 PM
  #77
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Giroux does not have to score goals to produce, he has the ability to spread the ice with his ability to pass the puck. He can create an advantage by his puckhandling ability that Carter does not have. Defense cannot attack him with the puck, they will stay a stick length away and use the stick to block the lanes. With Carter the defense attacks and closes the space because they do not have to worry as much about him beating anyone one on one or passing to the open space and creating a mismatch in that open area or a pass to the point for a shot.
Seriously, what games do you watch? The defense backs the F off Carter all the time because once he gets going he can go around 'em with pure speed.

Moreover... the team scores more with Carter on the ice at even strength! The other team scores less! That's true even this year, when folks are writing hagiographies to Giroux (who has been great, but stop getting seduced by the dangling). Just because you look flashy, doesn't mean you're producing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
  #78
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Seriously, what games do you watch? The defense backs the F off Carter all the time because once he gets going he can go around 'em with pure speed.

Moreover... the team scores more with Carter on the ice at even strength! The other team scores less! That's true even this year, when folks are writing hagiographies to Giroux (who has been great, but stop getting seduced by the dangling). Just because you look flashy, doesn't mean you're producing.
Holy **** we get it, enough with the redundancy.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 05:44 PM
  #79
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Holy **** we get it, enough with the redundancy.
Cartsiephan doesn't, and it's a somewhat fundamental point.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
  #80
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 12,309
vCash: 500
It's like talking to a brick wall. I wouldn't bother.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:19 PM
  #81
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,418
vCash: 500
My answer is projecting to each players ultimate point... and I feel Gee has the best chance of being a true superstar.

I believe each can be a top tier elite player... and both are fine two-way players presently. Carter has had that great goal scoring year and IMO has more of them coming. I also believe he is a force on the ice on both sides of the puck and can score timely goals... he is not afraid to shoot anytime, from anywhere, and therefore has more high and wides and net misses than Giroux.

Giroux on the other hand has yet to have that one great goal scoring season, but has had a fine postseason when they went to the Finals... BUT, I see Gee as having that special quality that can lead to superstardom; I believe he has that Forsbergesque quality about him, less the size and mean streak... but he is a gritty player who is not afraid to get dirty and muck and take hits only to come right back. He also seems to have durability and not be injury prone (knock on wood)... he seems to be at the onset of a career that will see him dressed more often in a season than Foppa while getting just as dirty, albeit with less forceful checks. I see him as a potential mini-Foppa... not saying that he will come anywhere near the career that Forsberg had; also not saying that he can't.

So my vote is Giroux, but both will be top tier and I want both long term... Homer already inked Carter, and has Gee for few years, and has his rights after his second contract expires.


Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-13-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:51 PM
  #82
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I put down that they were too close to call.

Jeff Carter's game is a little simpler than Giroux's, but it's nearly as effective. Then there is defense, where Carter has a clear edge. Plus you can't teach someone how to be big.........and Carter has been winning face offs like a champ lately too....

All in all they're both pretty damn good and I think a preference between the two probably has as much to do with which style of player a person prefers as which player they think is objectively better.

EDIT:

Wow. Giroux shouldn't be running away with this poll at all.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:39 PM
  #83
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,583
vCash: 500
Jester, don't even bother with Cartsiephan. It really is like talking to a brick wall. Whenever you post facts backed up by statistics he's just gonna essentially cover his ears and say "nuh-uh".

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
  #84
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Playoff Stats:

Giroux: 29 GP 12 G 14 A 26 P

Carter: 41 GP 12 G 7 A 19 P

Giroux has the same number of goals and twice as many assists in the playoffs as Carter in 12 less games.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:49 PM
  #85
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,583
vCash: 500
It amazes me that people criticize Carter for his playoff performances. He's been injured or a rookie in over half his games played and he plays a type of game that's not likely to make him a PPG player anyways.

Guys like Steve Yzerman and Simon Gagne were viewed as playoff chokers early into their careers as well because people are impatient and short-sighted/narrow-minded.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
  #86
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It amazes me that people criticize Carter for his playoff performances. He's been injured or a rookie in over half his games played and he plays a type of game that's not likely to make him a PPG player anyways.

Guys like Steve Yzerman and Simon Gagne were viewed as playoff chokers early into their careers as well because people are impatient and short-sighted/narrow-minded.
I wasnt criticizing Carter's playoff performance...I was pointing out Giroux's success in the playoffs. If you claim Carter has been fine in the playoffs, then certainly Giroux's numbers should impress you.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:09 PM
  #87
clockwise
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Wow. Giroux shouldn't be running away with this poll at all.
Giroux is more affable to this fanbase for some reason.. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Flyers fan here or elsewhere badmouth his game. Carter on the other hand will be a whipping boy to many fans for the duration of his contract, perhaps longer.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
  #88
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I want both on the team for a longtime
This.

Also, a cautionary word to Jester, I'd be a bit careful about using the advanced stats right now, I mean, going by those, Pronger and Richie are like the 2 worst defensive ES players on the team, so I think things are settling down a bit plus the ridiculous success that the Briere line had at ES in the first 15-20ish games is skewing some of the GF stuff (I don't think anyone really expects Danny to score 45 goals, 35 at ES).

That being said, all the basic points are correct. Carts is a MUCH better defensive C at this point also, that line has looked pretty good since Carter moved back to C, I'm not at all convinced that Giroux won't be a big force on the wing.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
  #89
JCameron418
Registered User
 
JCameron418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 500
Carter is better at getting drunk in Sea Isle City during the offseason

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:42 PM
  #90
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I wasnt criticizing Carter's playoff performance...I was pointing out Giroux's success in the playoffs. If you claim Carter has been fine in the playoffs, then certainly Giroux's numbers should impress you.
Wasn't criticizing you. Just more of a general statement.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:50 PM
  #91
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Carter is better at getting drunk in Sea Isle City during the offseason
He's also very good at having the most ridiculously flamboyant hair I've ever seen.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
  #92
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
How is Carter as physical as Giroux?

I am always impressed with Giroux's hitting ability and willingness to much it up in the corners... and habitually dissapointed with Carter's.
Because on the rare occasion when Carter actually decides he wants to play with grit, he puts all 200 lbs into burying whichever poor ******* gets caught in the tracks. Giroux is a 180 pound nuisance.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM
  #93
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Because on the rare occasion when Carter actually decides he wants to play with grit, he puts all 200 lbs into burying whichever poor ******* gets caught in the tracks. Giroux is a 180 pound nuisance.
Isnt in this case quantity > quality?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:12 PM
  #94
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Isnt in this case quantity > quality?
You want 180 pounds of feathers, or a single 200 pound steel slug?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
  #95
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
You want 180 pounds of feathers, or a single 200 pound steel slug?
Is the slug just gonna sit there? How tightly can I pack the feathers?


On a serious note, Giroux's physicality serves a purpose beyond that of being a nuisance on a lot of occasions. No, he isn't muscling Chara off the puck anytime soon, but let's give him his due.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:31 PM
  #96
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
This.

Also, a cautionary word to Jester, I'd be a bit careful about using the advanced stats right now, I mean, going by those, Pronger and Richie are like the 2 worst defensive ES players on the team, so I think things are settling down a bit plus the ridiculous success that the Briere line had at ES in the first 15-20ish games is skewing some of the GF stuff (I don't think anyone really expects Danny to score 45 goals, 35 at ES).

That being said, all the basic points are correct. Carts is a MUCH better defensive C at this point also, that line has looked pretty good since Carter moved back to C, I'm not at all convinced that Giroux won't be a big force on the wing.
Oh, it's early, but in addressing what they've done to this point... it's shocking that despite having this huge breakout year, Giroux advanced metrics aren't more impressive than they are (actually, they're not that impressive at all).

Richards' stats have been trending up for some time now (remember when everyone was complaining early in the year?).

However, you're also seeing the impact of good goaltending on folks' stats. Goaltending improves your entire team in one stroke.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:32 PM
  #97
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
He's also very good at having the most ridiculously flamboyant hair I've ever seen.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:39 AM
  #98
Lucky Luke
Registered User
 
Lucky Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Giroux likes cheese. Nuff said.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:59 AM
  #99
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Giroux likes cheese. Nuff said.
Hey Carter's pre-game meal could be a can of cheese-whiz, you never know.


ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
  #100
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
When he dies it bleach blonde you'll have a legitimate argument

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.