HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

#1 pick who to chose

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
  #51
flames123
Registered User
 
flames123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
For the Flames the choice would abviously be Sean Couturier. Although I could see Sutter build a top notch defence first and take Larsson if he closes the gap on Couturier. Flames need a centre and that is who they should pick. With the way things look now I think we might have a shot at Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (im thinking he will be around #5).

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
  #52
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 50
The Flames need a franchise centre, case closed.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
  #53
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Bruinswagoner #4762
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 50
The value of a franchise centreman greatly exceeds the value of a franchise defenseman. With 20-20 hindsight, who would you rather build your franchise around - an 18 year old Joe Sakic or an 18 year old Nik Lidstrom?

That, coupled with the fact Calgary's top prospect is a defenseman (Tim Erixon) and an okay one at that, should mean that if Nugent-Hopkins or Couturier are available they will take one of those two over Larsson. Frankly, I wonder if it might be worthwhile to trade down (assuming the Flames are drafting top five) to get Rask.

I also wonder what it would take to get Toronto's pick from Boston...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 05:51 PM
  #54
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I also wonder what it would take to get Toronto's pick from Boston...
A lot more than Calgary can give, for sure. Boston doesn't have a lot of cap space, so they'd rather get a really good prospect that can contribute now, at a cheap price than almost anything else. I expect Boston to try and get one of Larsson or Murphy with Toronto's pick. Perhaps even trade up to do so on Larsson.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
  #55
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
A lot more than Calgary can give, for sure. Boston doesn't have a lot of cap space, so they'd rather get a really good prospect that can contribute now, at a cheap price than almost anything else. I expect Boston to try and get one of Larsson or Murphy with Toronto's pick. Perhaps even trade up to do so on Larsson.
I'm not so sure about that, Chiarelli said last year that he was absolutely going to take one of Taylor or Tyler no matter what and was not going to trade away that pick. Boston has a very good mix of vets, youth and prospects. Coupled with the fact that they are one of the top teams in the league and are a legit contender for the Cup this season. I think if Boston could aquire Iginla, they would part with TO's draft pick because that move alone would instantly make them a favorite to win the Stanley Cup and they would still have a 1st round pick in next years draft and they still have a franchise like Seguin in their system. I would be happy to see Iggy play on a original 6 team, I would cheer for them for sure come playoff time.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:10 PM
  #56
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
The Flames should pick the absolute best centre available, end of story.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
  #57
JorgeRocks!
Registered User
 
JorgeRocks!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'm not so sure about that, Chiarelli said last year that he was absolutely going to take one of Taylor or Tyler no matter what and was not going to trade away that pick. Boston has a very good mix of vets, youth and prospects. Coupled with the fact that they are one of the top teams in the league and are a legit contender for the Cup this season. I think if Boston could aquire Iginla, they would part with TO's draft pick because that move alone would instantly make them a favorite to win the Stanley Cup and they would still have a 1st round pick in next years draft and they still have a franchise like Seguin in their system. I would be happy to see Iggy play on a original 6 team, I would cheer for them for sure come playoff time.
cap cough cap

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
  #58
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,684
vCash: 500
Bruins jettisoned Sturm for cap space hmmm.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 09:18 PM
  #59
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Bruins jettisoned Sturm for cap space hmmm.
Maybe they want to trade the Flames Toronto's first, Colborne and some salary...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:19 PM
  #60
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Maybe they want to trade the Flames Toronto's first, Colborne and some salary...
In your dreams maybe?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:34 PM
  #61
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
In your dreams maybe?
It works for me

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:23 AM
  #62
bananaz
Registered User
 
bananaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The Flames need a franchise centre, case closed.
Too bad there isn't one in this draft.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:52 AM
  #63
MVW
Moderator
 
MVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
cap cough cap
Michael "cough" Ryder

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:54 AM
  #64
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_j View Post
Too bad there isn't one in this draft.
Honestly as it stands right now I'd take Larsson solely for the reason I quoted. Hopefully some of these other players pick it up, because Larsson is miles ahead of any other pick right now. To bad we have no need for another Dman.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
  #65
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Bruinswagoner #4762
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,478
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Honestly as it stands right now I'd take Larsson solely for the reason I quoted. Hopefully some of these other players pick it up, because Larsson is miles ahead of any other pick right now. To bad we have no need for another Dman.
If he's miles ahead, why does ISS have him ranked below Courtier and Nugent-Hopkins?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
  #66
Janks
Pope Janks
 
Janks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,289
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
If he's miles ahead, why does ISS have him ranked below Courtier and Nugent-Hopkins?
He isn't. It just shows how many people don't know what they are talking about. Hands down Courturier is the BPA, then RNH. Larsson is a great d-man, but no way should he be taken over those two unless a team is looking for a dman.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:46 PM
  #67
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
He isn't. It just shows how many people don't know what they are talking about. Hands down Courturier is the BPA, then RNH. Larsson is a great d-man, but no way should he be taken over those two unless a team is looking for a dman.
Sure I don't know what I'm talking about. It's pretty easy to look up a players ranking, rather then watching first hand.

I wouldn't take RNH...Too small. Courturier would be my only other option, but he'd have to take his game to another level (and he's already lights out) for me to take him over Larsson. My philosophy would be to take the best player with the pick you have. Larsson is the best player in my mind.

Although Calgary really does need that C so maybe Courturier. I don't know it's a tough one. Anyone saying they clearly know who the 1st overall should be right now give your head a shake and get over yourself already. Ridiculous...lol.


Last edited by The Gnome: 12-14-2010 at 01:57 PM.
The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
  #68
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Skåne
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,258
vCash: 500
you guys need a forward, tbh larsson sucks let him slip to a better team like the red wings where he looks good altho he isnt

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
  #69
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins
 
King Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,032
vCash: 500
Ryan Nugent Hopkins may be small now, but it's not like he can't build muscle. I wouldn't be too worried about his size, rather his skill, personality/character.

In reality, the Islanders are a lock for the number 1 spot. They have Tavares, it'd be stupid of them not to take Larsson. The thread should be "Courtier or Nugent-Hopkins".

King Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.