HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nieto also had a very good U-18 last Spring. Creates offense and turnovers on the forecheck. Would be a good mid to late 1st rounder. I really like his BU teammate Adam Clendening, slick playmaking Dman.
I like Clendening as well. See a lot of Shattenkirk in him, but at an earlier age.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

I would love, but arent going to be available when we choose

Puempel (hope he falls)
Armia
Rask

I like:

Khokhlachev
Namestiknov
Jurco
Huberdeau

Old
12-13-2010, 03:40 PM
OilerOlli*

In your area Bärtschi and Rieder should be interesting. I am pretty confident both will be good 2nd line wingers.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
I would love, but arent going to be available when we choose

Puempel (hope he falls)
Armia
Rask

I like:

Khokhlachev
Namestiknov
Jurco
Huberdeau
I'd be surprised to see any of Puempel, Armia or Rask outside of the top-10. I think Rask will have a late push to re-affirm himself as a top-10 pick. Way too much offensive talent there.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:47 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be surprised to see any of Puempel, Armia or Rask outside of the top-10. I think Rask will have a late push to re-affirm himself as a top-10 pick. Way too much offensive talent there.
I'd be surprised to see any of them in the Top 10.

1Larsson 2Couturier 3RNH 4 Landeskög 5Murphy 6Strome 7Hamilton 8 Siemens 9Musil 10 Saad for me

Old
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Its still too early to tell whether or not those players will go before 10 or after. Either way I dont see them making it past 15.

Puempel is a great goalscorer and Rask has great offensive potential so they wont drop much if they drop at all.

We dont usually draft our first rounders from the Q and there is Jurco and Huberdeau I like. Huberdeau is a hard working player whos got skill and size. 24-28 in 33 games. Jurco is an enigma but the skill is there, hes got some hands.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

khokhlachev is going to be a very,very nice player. hes another one of those offensively gifted, creative russian scoring forwards.

windsor has a stacked team this year and hes one of their best players.

were making a day trip to kingston to watch ethan werek when windsor comes to kingston jan 16th. cant wait.

ill give a full report on him after that game.

89 Alexander Khokhlachev C 31 16 27 43 +8 20 6

Old
12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbaum View Post

1Larsson 2Couturier 3RNH 4 Landeskög 5Murphy 6Strome 7Hamilton 8 Siemens 9Musil 10 Saad for me
Eh, personally I don't see Musil or Siemens in the top 10. Peumpel and Saad are interchangeable for me at #10, but I definitely have Armia in the top 10. Rask is the real wild card.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:16 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Eh, personally I don't see Musil or Siemens in the top 10. Peumpel and Saad are interchangeable for me at #10, but I definitely have Armia in the top 10. Rask is the real wild card.
I would bet a lot money that Saad will be chosen before Puempel.
If the Oilers draft 7-10 expect they take one of Hamilton, Siemens or Musil.
It will be an interesting draft. Many different opinions about the prospects.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
That sounds like a Ranger pick. Great character. Hard worker. Where is he supposed to go?
From what I've read mid to late first round, probably around where we will pick.

Scouts seem to like him.

I like what I've read about him. He's talented, and wants to be better, he mentions things that he needs to improve on.

Before going to BU he mentioned he wants to get more grit in his game.

I like him. Seems like a player that would fit right into the Rangers philosophy, team-first, hard working, good character, smart, and has a lot of skill.

Fast skater, winger, scorer, two way responsible game.

If he adds that dimension of grit, and grows a little, the kid could be a real good one.

I don't think we will have any chance at the (early, yet) more coveted names. Like Saad, Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins.

If Nieto sticks around his current projection, we could land him.

Let's see if he continues to progress this year. He's only a freshman at BU. So the numbers shouldn't be that alarming.

I like his background story, too. Didn't give into the bad influences where he grew up, good parents and family raised him right, always took hockey seriously.

Its early yet, but right now he seems like someone I'm going to be high on come June.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:40 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
From what I've read mid to late first round, probably around where we will pick.

Scouts seem to like him.

I like what I've read about him. He's talented, and wants to be better, he mentions things that he needs to improve on.

Before going to BU he mentioned he wants to get more grit in his game.

I like him. Seems like a player that would fit right into the Rangers philosophy, team-first, hard working, good character, smart, and has a lot of skill.

Fast skater, winger, scorer, two way responsible game.

If he adds that dimension of grit, and grows a little, the kid could be a real good one.

I don't think we will have any chance at the (early, yet) more coveted names. Like Saad, Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins.

If Nieto sticks around his current projection, we could land him.

Let's see if he continues to progress this year. He's only a freshman at BU. So the numbers shouldn't be that alarming.

I like his background story, too. Didn't give into the bad influences where he grew up, good parents and family raised him right, always took hockey seriously.

Its early yet, but right now he seems like someone I'm going to be high on come June.
Sounds great. The fact that he is already playing college hockey, to me at least, is a HUGE bonus. His point totals are actually pretty good for an 18 year old playing against players much larger than himself. I like the fact that he plays at BU, they have a great program there and they play good competition.

I like everything about him so far from what you have said. What about deficiencies? Grit, size? Anything else?

Old
12-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Nieto is another gigantic maybe, just like Kreider. He has top 6 potential, but thats just what it is.

He doesnt have Kreider's size, or speed. But he does have some natural goal scoring ability, and with the emergence of players like Cammalleri and Skinner, you can make a living on that in todays NHL.

Depends on where we pick, but I have my eyes set on kids like Armia and Saad.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Nieto is another gigantic maybe, just like Kreider. He has top 6 potential, but thats just what it is.

He doesnt have Kreider's size, or speed. But he does have some natural goal scoring ability, and with the emergence of players like Cammalleri and Skinner, you can make a living on that in todays NHL.

Depends on where we pick, but I have my eyes set on kids like Armia and Saad.
I would be okay with taking someone like Saad in particular but do you think there is really a chance that he falls all the way to where the Rangers pick? From what I have read I don't think he will be around.

Nieto sounds intriguing. I would be okay with a maybe with great offensive instincts. Skating and strength can be taught over time. Those instincts are hard to come by(Stepan is a good example right now).

From just doing some research right now, he may have a chance to make the US U20 team with Coyle and Clendening?

Quote:
The roster for the final Jr. National team evaluation camp was announced today. Charlie Coyle, Adam Clendening and Nieto all were named to the roster. Training camp begins Dec. 16 in Albany and the first exhibition game is Dec. 23. against Norway. The World Junior Championships begin Dec. 26 in Buffalo.
http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/

Dec. 7th post

Old
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I dont think that, if we make the playoffs he will be around.

I would be committed to; if he falls to #10, sacrificing a pretty decent asset to move up to pick him or Joel, should they be there.

one of those two guys would give the Rangers a forward with true star 'potential' for the first time, really since Brendl or Jessiman. I'm willing to trade away some depth in the form of guys like Werek, WAS 2 ect for that, definitely.

Old
12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I dont think that, if we make the playoffs he will be around.

I would be committed to; if he falls to #10, sacrificing a pretty decent asset to move up to pick him or Joel, should they be there.

one of those two guys would give the Rangers a forward with true star 'potential' for the first time, really since Brendl or Jessiman. I'm willing to trade away some depth in the form of guys like Werek, WAS 2 ect for that, definitely.
Intriguing. I don't know much about Armia but I have read some things on Saad which I like. They liken him to Nino last year with his size and skating ability and the way he plays the game. I could definitely get on board with him even if they have to move up to get him.

Here's a little snippet I read a while ago:

Quote:
Saad has developed considerably after being a very raw AAA player in Pittsburgh only three years ago. After spending a couple of productive seasons with the US Development Team, Saad will be making to the move to Saginaw this year after they’ve waited patiently since taking him in the first round back in 2008. Saad should be able to make a seamless transition to the Major Junior game. He’s got a pro style frame, and his style of play matches it. Saad is a good skater with a good scoring touch. He competes hard and battles in the tough areas on the ice and is the type of player that coaches love to have in their lineup as he brings a very solid physical element to his game. His offensive upside at the NHL level probably will be as a 30/30 type player, but like Niederreiter in 2010, he’s a guy that has a lot of versatility and is the type of player that will help you win big games.
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...minary-top-15/

Unfortunately they have him at #5 there.

Any info on Armia?

Old
12-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Armia has very close to a complete package. He is the kind of guy who, even as a bust, could be an effective 3rd line player.

Rink adjustment is not an issue, because he plays in the Finnish league amongst men and has done very well as a 17 year old there. Now it isnt on the level of the KHL or the SEL, but all pro scouts point towards this guy as a climber.

He protects the puck well, has a decent set of hands, ect. Another guy who looks like a potential 30 goal scorer.

Saad I think could be better than 30-30-60. But i'm no pro scout so, just my .02

Old
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Armia has very close to a complete package. He is the kind of guy who, even as a bust, could be an effective 3rd line player.

Rink adjustment is not an issue, because he plays in the Finnish league amongst men and has done very well as a 17 year old there. Now it isnt on the level of the KHL or the SEL, but all pro scouts point towards this guy as a climber.

He protects the puck well, has a decent set of hands, ect. Another guy who looks like a potential 30 goal scorer.

Saad I think could be better than 30-30-60. But i'm no pro scout so, just my .02
I think a 30-30 player who can add a different dimension to the top-6 is just as valuable as an 80 point player. The Rangers seem to like to dictate the play. He would fit the mold as an "in-your-face" type.

Seems to me Saad would be the better fit. I am a little hesitant to pick a player out of the Finnish Elite League just because of my lack of knowledge of the league in general(I am freely stating I know very little about the league).

Tough call although Armia's stats are very good for such a young player.

In comparison, Korpikoski had 6 points the year AFTER he was drafted in the same league. Now they may be getting different amounts of ice time and other factors may apply but his stats are impressive.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:48 PM
CH2

That Rangers aren't going to be in the Top-10 draft order. Let's say their in the 17-22 range again this year. The Rags don't have the assets to give up in order to get into the Top-10.

-Three huge prospects should be ready for pros next year: Kreider, Hagelin, Werek.

-The following year Drury, Rosival, Christiansen, and Avery come off the books. Freeing up 14.5 mil of cap space.

-Gilroy, White, Fedotenko, Prospal and Eminger come off the books this year totaling roughly 6.5 million.

-The PACK Line is due raises as is Michael Sauer.

-The following year, DZ, MZA, and Biron (if we keep him) might see a little bit of a raise.

Loading up draft picks this year might be a better idea. With the success of Gordie Clark's 2nd and lower round picks, trading down and accumulating future picks may be the best course of action. There's not one player outside of the currently projected Top-10 that's trade up worthy, in my opinion. If the Rangers can shop the first rounder for a lower pick and a 2nd, sign me up. In Gordie I trust.

Keep assets, sign players from within the system. Chase the occasional free agent, hope for hometown discounts on our players. Leaves cap flexibility to make moves in season.

Last edited by CH2: 12-13-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old
12-14-2010, 12:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nieto doesn't have many deficiencies. He's not a superstar, but its nearly impossible to draft them. He has a ton of potential.

His skating is his strength. Not like Kreider, but he's a burner.

He's a fearless kind of player, he goes to the net hard, digs in corners, hard forechecker.

Has both scoring and playmaking skills.

Responsible defensively, can play any situation.

And his size is not an issue, listed at 5-11, 180. 18 years old, time to grow.

And, he's the kind of player that's always trying to improve himself. He's said he's been working on his physical game and strength.

A hard worker, team player, good character.

Its early, but I just think this kid would be a fantastic addition to what the Rangers are trying to accomplish, based on what I've seen (granted limited) and read/researched.

I don't see how we will get any of the more coveted names unless they fall for some reason or we trade up.

Remember its not 100% about skill with the Rangers. Of course its vastly important, but character, work ethic, will the player put the time and effort to max his potential, who translates to the Pro game (they're not drafting the player as a finished product). These are things that Rangers brass weigh heavily when making their early picks.

Old
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
That Rangers aren't going to be in the Top-10 draft order. Let's say their in the 17-22 range again this year. The Rags don't have the assets to give up in order to get into the Top-10.

-Three huge prospects should be ready for pros next year: Kreider, Hagelin, Werek.

-The following year Drury, Rosival, Christiansen, and Avery come off the books. Freeing up 14.5 mil of cap space.

-Gilroy, White, Fedotenko, Prospal and Eminger come off the books this year totaling roughly 6.5 million.

-The PACK Line is due raises as is Michael Sauer.

-The following year, DZ, MZA, and Biron (if we keep him) might see a little bit of a raise.

Loading up draft picks this year might be a better idea. With the success of Gordie Clark's 2nd and lower round picks, trading down and accumulating future picks may be the best course of action. There's not one player outside of the currently projected Top-10 that's trade up worthy, in my opinion. If the Rangers can shop the first rounder for a lower pick and a 2nd, sign me up. In Gordie I trust.

Keep assets, sign players from within the system. Chase the occasional free agent, hope for hometown discounts on our players. Leaves cap flexibility to make moves in season.
That's what smart asset management is all about.

They shouldn't trade up I agree. They could probably get a 2nd round pick in a Rozsival trade on draft day.

And if they stay at their slot, I have faith in their judgment.

I agree with your sentiments, here. Its basically my philosophy as well.

And from what I see its pretty close to the Rangers philosophy as well.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:12 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
That's what smart asset management is all about.

They shouldn't trade up I agree. They could probably get a 2nd round pick in a Rozsival trade on draft day.

And if they stay at their slot, I have faith in their judgment.

I agree with your sentiments, here. Its basically my philosophy as well.

And from what I see its pretty close to the Rangers philosophy as well.
If we traded Rozy for a 2nd and traded down in the first, we could end up with 4 2nd rounders. That'd be pretty sweet, and give us flexibility to move up in the round with one of them if someone we like starts to fall to us.

RANGERS =
Old
12-14-2010, 01:34 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
If we traded Rozy for a 2nd and traded down in the first, we could end up with 4 2nd rounders. That'd be pretty sweet, and give us flexibility to move up in the round with one of them if someone we like starts to fall to us.
I'd rather keep 4 2nd rounders than use them to acquire another first, honestly.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

That's actually not a bad top ten. Three big dmen in the middle. Hamilton is too attractive, I can't see him dropping out of the top ten. Siemens is a beast.

Quote:
I would bet a lot money that Saad will be chosen before Puempel.
If the Oilers draft 7-10 expect they take one of Hamilton, Siemens or Musil.
It will be an interesting draft. Many different opinions about the prospects.
Saad will go top ten. He succeeds at every level, plays a great two way game, tied for 1st in OHL with 5 shorthanded points, and he's a top student off the ice.

Old
12-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I guess the cats out of the bag with Michael St Croix for the 2011 draft. 21 points in his last 8 games. 42 points in 31 games overall.

Old
12-14-2010, 06:16 AM
dccuse

[QUOTE=CH2;29555348]That Rangers aren't going to be in the Top-10 draft order. Let's say their in the 17-22 range again this year. The Rags don't have the assets to give up in order to get into the Top-10.

disagree. If anything, i think this is the year to make a splash and move up, maybe add the piece that in a few years can be considered the FINAL piece.

our first plus a 2nd plus one of hagelin, werek, bourque, horak, grachev, thomas, etc. and valentenko for a top 4 pick??? That might even be redundant but it would only be getting rid of some organizational redundancy

for a rebuilding team that finishes that low thats a valuable package to INSTANTLY stimulate a rebuild.

how would a team like the devils or the leafs or the sabres or the senators NOT take that.

Closed Thread