HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

LEIGHTON activated; WALKER surgery (out 6-8 weeks from Dec. 16) and LAPERRIERE LTIR

Old
12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
i am dave

vCash: 500
To me, Walker's doing more harm than good being injured - can't waive him.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Wasn't Yzerman the one that signed Dan Ellis to a 2-year deal worth $1.5 million instead of resigning Niittymaki? If so, I'm not so sure that Yzerman's smart enough to not consider Leighton, especially with how putrid both of TB's goalies are.
Valid point.

But the timeframe is different now. A failed gamble on Ellis in the offseason is different than a failed gamble 30 games into the regular season. He took a shot on Ellis and failed miserably. It happens.

But, with that knowledge in hand, I doubt he makes the same mistake on a similar gamble with a goalie like Leighton. It's pretty clear now that Tampa is a solid team, and if Yzerman goes out to get a goaltender at this juncture, you can bet he's going for a clear upgrade rather than for another shot in the dark, especially given the fact that he has the cap space to do so. Obviously, Leighton is no clear upgrade.

We'll see how it all plays out...

*shrugs*

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:23 PM
mypunkrock

Other hip, probably a torn flexor:

http://www.csnphilly.com/12/13/10/So...553&feedID=704

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Just to be contrarian, what do people think the trade value of Carle is? Meszaros can fill his slot, and Bartulis is the first candidate for the #6 D position.

As for Leighton, how has he looked in the A? Is there any reason why Leighton could add anything to Bob-Boucher?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
LMAO! True to his name now.....he will def need a Walker! Massive fail on Holmgren's part with Leighton and Walker....not to mention Shelley and let's throw in Zherdev for good measure. My god we could have had Thomas for christ's sake for all that money and I can give a rat's ass about his contract supposedly being prohibitive. I mean what do you consider the contract's of all the players I just mentioned??? Added value????...cut me a break!! I mean at least Thomas would be playing and we would have a seasoned Vezina goalie for the playoffs. Not to mention Bob could develop more properly. But no..Holmgren being the forward thinker that he is signed a bunch of retreads and overpaid them to add insult to injury...pun intended!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:36 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
we better not start Leighton vs Pittsburgh
I wanna say there's no chance that happens, but....it's Holmgren.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Paul Holmgren, who announced earlier on Monday that Walker injured himself with the Phantoms and was likely headed back on injured reserve, had no comment.
Allow me to speak for Holmgren....

What are you gonna do.....and it is what it is!

Old
12-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Three moves that piss me off about Homer.

Leighton, Walker and Zherdev..

There were better options.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
LMAO! True to his name now.....he will def need a Walker! Massive fail on Holmgren's part with Leighton and Walker....not to mention Shelley and let's throw in Zherdev for good measure. My god we could have had Thomas for christ's sake for all that money and I can give a rat's ass about his contract supposedly being prohibitive. I mean what do you consider the contract's of all the players I just mentioned??? Added value????...cut me a break!! I mean at least Thomas would be playing and we would have a seasoned Vezina goalie for the playoffs. Not to mention Bob could develop more properly. But no..Holmgren being the forward thinker that he is signed a bunch of retreads and overpaid them to add insult to injury...pun intended!

Hindsight is everything. There was not a taker in the league for Thomas and his 5 million contract. The flyers rightly passed on him at the time. No one could of foreseen him taking the job back from Rask

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Hindsight is everything. There was not a taker in the league for Thomas and his 5 million contract. The flyers rightly passed on him at the time. No one could of foreseen him taking the job back from Rask
I will counter that foresight is everything when you are a GM....

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...9&postcount=13

Old
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Thomas also had offseason surgery which mad me wary of his 35+ contract

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Thomas also had offseason surgery which mad me wary of his 35+ contract
Well I guess all the wariness is now unfounded and to say NOBODY thought he would be worth it is a patently false straw man statement. No matter what.... FAIL on Holmgren's part. Even if Thomas wasn't an option based on people's trepidations (some valid)..there were other options as one poster said. There were too many question marks to begin with concerning Leighton, Walker and Zherdev. All the question marks for these three alone outweighed those for Thomas. His surgery wasn't anything crippling or that other goalies haven't recouped from. Wish I could say the same for Leighton who's still has no sensation in his foot and goes brain dead on certain short side shots!

Old
12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Three moves that piss me off about Homer.

Leighton, Walker and Zherdev..

There were better options.
meh, the zherdev signing wasn't that terrible. he needed a winger in some capacity after the gagne debacle. he has performed exactly as expected; he's scoring goals, but the coaches despise him for perceived laziness and lack of defence. the only player on the team producing more goals than him per 60 minutes has a cap hit over 3 times as high.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
i offered up zherdev and shelley to a cbj fan on the trade rumors board... i think the fans would love to have both of them back, but the fans aren't the gm. i'm hoping for a 2nd rounder for zherdev.
Keep hoping. I wouldn't say it is out of the question, but I would be absolutely SHOCKED to get a 2nd rounder for Zherdev. He's a player with a lot of upside, but everyone and their mother knows that he doesn't care enoguh to reach it. No one is going to give up a second round pick for a guy they are going to be perpetually disappointed in. There's a reason he went to Russia and played there instead of the NHL last season. Even the Rangers didn't want him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
i am dave

Trading for Thomas likely would have made the Giroux and Carter extensions impossible, at least this early in the season, without moving serious salary.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Trading for Thomas likely would have made the Giroux and Carter extensions impossible, at least this early in the season, without moving serious salary.
They most likely would have not dealt for Meszeros....trading for Thomas was doable just that Holmgren can't think more than one step ahead so his brain couldn't handle trying to work the cap to fit him in. In the meantime he adds dead weight in Leighton, Walker and Zherdev and to an extent Shelley as much as he is liked by the coaching staff which is baffeling. They could have hired a team clown for less to keep the team loose...

Old
12-14-2010, 02:19 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
And how is it all turning out for us? The fact we are last place in the NHL clearly shows how bad our off-season truly was. We are so much worse than last year and clearly have zero chance at winning a Stanley Cup. While the teams we traded with such as Tampa Bay are so much better than us. Also, the goaltenders we could have signed this off-season (Ellis, Mason, Turco, Nabokov, Nittymaki) are lighting up the league while our goalies have been just dreadful all year.

Now - you read the above and realize - NONE OF IT IS TRUE!!!! We are much better than last year the goalies we passed on are SUCKING this year and Gagne is doing nothing in Tampa. Perhaps it is the 2nd round pick that will clearly turn into the next Stamkos that has you so upset, cause it certainly isn't the current Flyers team. 8 deep on D 3 deep in net with 3 legit scoring lines. All key players signed for years to come. Doom and Gloom surrounds this team.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:20 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
They most likely would have not dealt for Meszeros....trading for Thomas was doable just that Holmgren can't think more than one step ahead so his brain couldn't handle trying to work the cap to fit him in. In the meantime he adds dead weight in Leighton, Walker and Zherdev and to an extent Shelley as much as he is liked by the coaching staff which is baffeling. They could have hired a team clown for less to keep the team loose...
Trading for Tim Thomas would have been interesting, but please let me know how Jeff Carter and Claude Giroux fit under the cap next year. Since you are clearly thinking more than one step ahead!

Old
12-14-2010, 02:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
but the point is, our offseason outside of the defense, could have been much better.

Not having Leighton, Shelley and Walker would be addition by subtraction and we could use that cap space at the deadline

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
phillyfanatic

Everyone was intrigued by Thomas. There is a reason NOBOBY in the NHL gave ANYTHING to get him. He had a 35+ contract coming off a year where he lost his starting job and had surgery. That is a lot of questions marks for 5 million per for 4 more years. We solidified our D instead.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Oh but you see. When the season is almost half way through, and you can see how the player has performed you can totally rip into our GM. Funny thing is, I don't see anyone complaining about the Mezaros trade anymore. That was one of the best moves in the offseason out of any GM.

Funny thing is too, that I remember that Tampa were in joy that they had got rid of him.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:00 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
but the point is, our offseason outside of the defense, could have been much better.

Not having Leighton, Shelley and Walker would be addition by subtraction and we could use that cap space at the deadline
To be fair, don't Shelley and Walker have more points than Gagne?

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
CTU2fan

For all the hand-wringing over the Leighton deal...look at the most popular alternatives, Ellis and Mason. Ellis has been lousy and Mason's showing he's a backup. Even Nabokov has flat sucked in the KHL, and he was probably the safest bet of all the FA goalies.

I still hate the Gagne-for-Walker move. I wonder how much Gagne's NTC hamstrung Homer (his choice, giving it out of course), because Gagne for Meszaros, avoiding Walker altogether, would have been a fine move if Yzerman would have done it.

The Shelley deal is still moronic though...

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Thank you!

You have dead weight with Leighton, Shelley and Walker and Zherdev is still up in the air. Thinking one step ahead means your offseason cornerstone move is getting a goalie which was always supposed to be the main focus. Then working around that. They then wouldn't have gone after Meszeros or jumped at him like they did. Meszeros is good but at 4M he's a bit of a luxury.....if you wanted Meszeros or a player like him you could move Carle, and not have overpaid for Shelley, Walker and Leighton. The fact is that Holmgren was making crap up as he went along and Bobrovsky has mitigated the situation and made it more palatable. He's essentially covered up some of Holmgren's ineffective offseason moves besides O'Donnel and Mesz who would be less of a priority if you had Thomas. However, it remains to be seen if some of this might bite us in the playoffs since Bob is not exactly a seasoned vet goalie and still has to round out his game. Boosh is Boosh...good for a stretch and the consumate backup.

Old
DUHockey9

I do not fault Homer at all for not trading for Thomas. In fact, I would have been pissed if he did. You don't trade for a 35+ contract making that much money, for significant years, coming off of a down year.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote