HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You guys gonna boo Dion?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
  #1
Maximus74
Registered User
 
Maximus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
You guys gonna boo Dion?

Just curious...

It's not like he left town on bad terms or had anything bad to say about his days in Calgary...

Hell, he has been booed by Leafs fans this year for some boneheaded plays...

Either way, looking forward to a good game...

Maximus74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
  #2
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 500
Will not be at the game but if I was I would not boo Phaneuf... kind of sounds like a Canuck fan as to how they behave...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
  #3
tmurfin
500g1000pts
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,342
vCash: 336
no need.. ill be cheering for him when he throws himself outta position and iggy and tangs get sprung on a 2 on 1 or 2 on 0

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:39 PM
  #4
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
Nah, I won't be booing Phaneuf. Well, no more than I'd boo every other player that plays for the opposition, anyways. lol.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:09 AM
  #5
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 704
Considering the fan base was pretty split as to wanting him traded in the first place, my guess is he won't hear boo.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
  #6
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty
 
3rdEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CoRD's house
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,686
vCash: 50
He will get boo'd no doubt about it. It's undeserved but he will hear it at least for the first period or two. I doubt he'll get it all game.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:10 AM
  #7
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 50
I'm not going, but I'm wouldn't boo. He didn't want to leave, and I'm kind of glad he's off our hands anyways.

And believe me, I like to boo... I booed Pronger when he came back to Calgary after leaving Edmonton, haha, how pointless was that

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:16 AM
  #8
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,045
vCash: 50
God I hope not. Not his fault Sutter gave him a terrible contract, and its not like he asked to be traded. I've still proudly got my autographed Phaneuf jersey hanging on my wall, the picture of him and Iggy framed on my wall. I'd tell you I don't miss him on the Flames but that would be a lie.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:29 AM
  #9
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 50
I don't know, do Leaf fans want to boo Stajan if Calgary hops into town? >_>

No more than the usual amount of boos. Heck, he might even get booed less than the time he was playing WITH the Flames, haha.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:35 AM
  #10
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,128
vCash: 500
Booing is so classless....

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:12 AM
  #11
Feel The Heat
Registered User
 
Feel The Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 50
I hope Flame fans show some class and don't boo him.I hope the boo birds are a minority.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
  #12
jtommyt
Registered User
 
jtommyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
I hope Flame fans show some class and don't boo him.I hope the boo birds are a minority.
I wouldn't boo him either... I mean, I did when I went to Ottawa and saw a leafs/sens game over there, but that was just to try and get that stadium to come to life.

The leafs fans there were booing Alfie every time he touched the puck. I just figured it would be fair to even the score a little bit.

By the end of the game, there was a booing war going on.

One of my proudest moments...

There's no reason to boo Phaneuf here in Calgary though. The guy battled for us.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:22 AM
  #13
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild
 
FLAMES666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
I wouldn't boo him either... I mean, I did when I went to Ottawa and saw a leafs/sens game over there, but that was just to try and get that stadium to come to life.

The leafs fans there were booing Alfie every time he touched the puck. I just figured it would be fair to even the score a little bit.

By the end of the game, there was a booing war going on.

One of my proudest moments...

There's no reason to boo Phaneuf here in Calgary though. The guy battled for us.
Meh that could be well argued for his last season or so here.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
  #14
jtommyt
Registered User
 
jtommyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Meh that could be well argued for his last season or so here.
Just because he wasn't very good, doesn't mean he wasn't trying.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:48 AM
  #15
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,025
vCash: 500
I booed him while he was here, no reason to stop now.

Honestly he is the only flames player I ever booed. I don't even boo Jokinen. Can't stand Phaneuf and I'm so glad he's gone. Him and Versteeg belong on the same team, it makes hating the leafs that much easier.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
  #16
getoverit
Registered User
 
getoverit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Nope, unless he lays out a flame in a centre ice hit

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:36 AM
  #17
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
He will get boo'd no doubt about it.

Oh yeah, for sure. There's no shortage of Flames fans who didn't like him when he was here and booed him then, that will be booing him hard in this game.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
  #18
Grannys
Registered User
 
Grannys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London, UK
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
No reason to boo him, he wasnt the one who pulled the trigger with the trade... didnt even come close to requesting a move. If you dont like the trade, boo Darryl Sutter every time he steps into the arena.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
  #19
Triple Deke
Registered User
 
Triple Deke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Had this game circled on the calendar.
I have a feeling I'll be cheering him more than booing because he'll routinely screw up.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:20 PM
  #20
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,952
vCash: 67
We'd boo him if he still played for the Flames. And considering that Stajan, Hagman, and Babchuk (White's equivalence) deserve to be booed, I'm sure Dion deserves it as well.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:31 PM
  #21
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome
 
Unlimited Chequing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 5001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
And believe me, I like to boo... I booed Pronger when he came back to Calgary after leaving Edmonton, haha, how pointless was that
Now that's silly! I always cheer for him after the way he burned Edmonton. I was actually in Edmonton the day the Edmonton Sun had the headline "I WANT OUT" with Pronger's face on the cover (or something to that effect). That was awesome.

While I dunno if I'd boo Dion, I know I'm certainly going to laugh when he bungs up a play. And bung he will.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:44 PM
  #22
iggyman12
Registered User
 
iggyman12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
I am not going to "boo" him. But I am sure a couple thousand will. There is no reason to boo him but most people in the world are not very smart...

iggyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
  #23
Feel The Heat
Registered User
 
Feel The Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 50
I can never understand booing a player on your own team. I understand not liking or even strogly diliking a player but why boo him?

Boo because he does not live up to a fans expectation? Just sad. Boo him because he is overpayed? Anyone would except a large sum of money and if you say otherwise your full of it.

Boo Dion now. Why? Never asked too be traded, never said anything bad about the fan base or team. Makes no sense. If you must boo to make yourself feel better

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:28 PM
  #24
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,127
vCash: 50
No, I won't boo. But I will sure as hell laugh and cheer on his bone head plays in his own end. No reason to boo him though, publicly he always handled himself with class in Calgary and I do wish him all the best in TO.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:30 PM
  #25
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,707
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
I can never understand booing a player on your own team. I understand not liking or even strogly diliking a player but why boo him?

Boo because he does not live up to a fans expectation? Just sad. Boo him because he is overpayed? Anyone would except a large sum of money and if you say otherwise your full of it.

Boo Dion now. Why? Never asked too be traded, never said anything bad about the fan base or team. Makes no sense. If you must boo to make yourself feel better
Why cheer at all?

I can never understand cheering a player or your own team. I understand liking or even strongly liking a player or team but why cheer them on?

Cheer because he lives up to a fan's expectations? Just impulsive, it doesn't actually affect the player's performance by how many people are watching the game from home or otherwise.
Cheer him because he is an adequate player who puts in effort?
Anyone would put in effort doing the thing you love for a living, and if you say otherwise you're full of it.

Cheer the team now. Why? They don't always win, and sometimes they show flashes of winning or making a comeback in a losing game but not always. Makes no sense. If you must cheer to make yourself feel better


Interesting, isn't it?
Not really making fun, but just saying, booing is the fans' way of pressuring the opposition. Calgary used to have one of the most hostile buildings just a few seasons ago, when the C of Red was going strong, and nowadays, you can actually HEAR Oilers chants when they play here.
And cheering is the rallying cry for the home team.... even if it doesn't help, it probably doesn't hurt, and that applies to booing too.

No harm in it, FTH. c:

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.