HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens recall Max Pacioretty

Old
12-14-2010, 12:09 AM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I believe Gomez will play but if he can't DD needs to be recalled 4 sure.
props to pacioretty for praising David Desharnais : ... '' He's the best player I've ever played with, a huge part in the success I've had... and now I hope I will do well even without him '' .

At this point no one can explain why David desharnais isn't getting a shot at it... its against logic and common sense, especially with a guy like pyatt/boyd in the lineup.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:24 AM
ChoseLa

Just to make things clear before the conversation continues, there is two things that people needs to take into account, Locke was way softer than DD and slower also; DD got everything to succeed in the NHL except size, people saying he is too slow are saying that because they excepect him to be a burst of speed since he is so small, but he's on the same level than Cammy for speed. He got perfect positioning and is always around the puck.

For those who watches the AHL, we all know how the game is slower and less physical, less speedy so players like Locke can find a way to perform in such a setting but they cannot reproduce their succes in the best league of the world, DD got everything except size to reproduce his succes in the NHL. So if he can overcome that, he could be a good asset for this team, that a small if.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
props to pacioretty for praising David Desharnais : ... '' He's the best player I've ever played with, a huge part in the success I've had... and now I hope I will do well even without him '' .

At this point no one can explain why David desharnais isn't getting a shot at it... its against logic and common sense, especially with a guy like pyatt/boyd in the lineup.
C or former C with the Habs : Plekanec, Gomez (injured), Eller, Pouliot, Pyatt, Lapierre, Halpern...

the only, and really there's no other, I see them calling him up is if they think DD can bring more offensive than any of our players at C position right now...

and in case you feel like naming him, Pyatt is playing on the wings, so...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:30 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
C or former C with the Habs : Plekanec, Gomez (injured), Eller, Pouliot, Pyatt, Lapierre, Halpern...

the only, and really there's no other, I see them calling him up is if they think DD can bring more offensive than any of our players at C position right now...

Naming Pouliot as a center is not a very good exemple, even if you said he is a formoer C, Lapierre and Pyatt are former C also they can help you if you are in a realy bad situation but realy they are winger. So to be honnest you gotta say Halpern, Plek, Eller and Gomez.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:33 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Weird. Oh well, hopefully he sticks. He's turning a lot of heads.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:44 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

Those are our centers... if Gomez plays that's great... if not ... I'd prefer desharnais as a straight up replacement... rather than Lapierre,pyatt or pouilot at center.

If you don't give a shot to a guy that has done everything right and that has done everything in his power to perform... than its simply not right. Grabovski had a shot... I hardly see how desharnais can be overlooked as a straight up replacement for a center going down on injury. Not saying you make room for him, but when the opportunity comes he should be looked at. The guy earned it... its that simple.

in the case of Pyatt... all I'm saying is this... there is no way the guy who goes '' Weber > subban '' can't go '' Desharnais > weber at wing'' ... for a game or two if the kid deserves to get a shot at it. Especially when he has a far greater offensive upside than other short term solutions at hand.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 12-14-2010 at 01:02 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:22 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Naming Pouliot as a center is not a very good exemple, even if you said he is a formoer C, Lapierre and Pyatt are former C also they can help you if you are in a realy bad situation but realy they are winger. So to be honnest you gotta say Halpern, Plek, Eller and Gomez.

Oh! I agree, especially for Pyatt and Lapierre, they're way more effective as wingers... but I dont see Habs calling a player if it's just for a game or two...

cause if we consider Laps and Pyatt wingers then we have : Cam, AK, Gionta, Moen, Pyatt, Darche, Pouliot and Lapierre... so, 8 wingers, didnt count Boyd (9th)... no need to call up Pacc then.

Anyway, me think JM will try all possible combo during practice, except maybe for Darche Eller Pool, to see if he can find something to his liking... if not, they'll callup someone (Probably DD)

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Ginu

Get Pacs familiar with playing with Plekanec, our best player, and Kostitsyn who plays better on the right side.

Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta worked well last season. When things weren't going well, we put these three guys together and they were gold. With Gomez out, put Halpern in there.

Leave the other two lines as they are: Pouliot - Eller - Darche and Moen - Pyatt - Lapierre.

Put everyone in a position to succeed.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
If Gomez doesn't keep getting better as he has been getting better lately, and Max Pac is playing good Maybe Gomez to Hamilton via wavers(imagine some team claims him?)
As some other posters pointed out on this board a little while back, the problem with waiving Gomez (assuming a team claims him) is that you're still on the hook for half (roughly 3.7) against the cap, and still have to pay his replacement. I realize that just about anyone right now would be out-producing him as a replacement centre, but even if you got another guy for 3.7, you're still essentially paying Gomez's full salary for a guy who may realistically be no better in the long-ish run.

If we fill his role internally (a la Deharnais) then it's a bargain, obviously, but is this guy a top-six NHLer, ready to step in?

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:44 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Just to make things clear before the conversation continues, there is two things that people needs to take into account, Locke was way softer than DD and slower also; DD got everything to succeed in the NHL except size, people saying he is too slow are saying that because they excepect him to be a burst of speed since he is so small, but he's on the same level than Cammy for speed. He got perfect positioning and is always around the puck.

For those who watches the AHL, we all know how the game is slower and less physical, less speedy so players like Locke can find a way to perform in such a setting but they cannot reproduce their succes in the best league of the world, DD got everything except size to reproduce his succes in the NHL. So if he can overcome that, he could be a good asset for this team, that a small if.
B-b-but Moen is taller!

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:55 AM
SooperSingh

I think putting Boyd on waivers again could be a move so they could recall Desharnais. Even if he doesnt play, he could atleast get practice time with the team.

SooperSingh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:24 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
As some other posters pointed out on this board a little while back, the problem with waiving Gomez (assuming a team claims him) is that you're still on the hook for half (roughly 3.7) against the cap, and still have to pay his replacement. I realize that just about anyone right now would be out-producing him as a replacement centre, but even if you got another guy for 3.7, you're still essentially paying Gomez's full salary for a guy who may realistically be no better in the long-ish run.

If we fill his role internally (a la Deharnais) then it's a bargain, obviously, but is this guy a top-six NHLer, ready to step in?
Actually, that is incorrect. If Gomez is claimed on waivers, there is no remaining cap hit for Habs. Only if Habs try to bring Gomez back from AHL, he will be subject to re-entry waivers and in that case, if claimed, Habs would be liable for half of his cap hit. Therefore there is no change that Habs would ever expose Gomez to re-entry waivers.

However, I would argue that very idea of waiving Gomez is absurd in reality of NHL. As noted above, waiving Gomez would be one way street until off-season, risk of high cap hit for noting after re-entry waiver is way too high. In addition, despite HFBoards facination with idea of negative value, getting rid of Gomez would achieve nothing - cap space as such has little value for contending team until off-season.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Nice article on Max:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...134/story.html

A lot of positive things in there:

Quote:
"Max was very good," Martin said. "All the reports have been good. He's been dominating in the AHL. It's very similar to Yannick Weber when we called him up. He's reached a point where he needs to be challenged at this level."
Quote:
"I talked to coach (Martin) and he told me: 'Play the game that's made you successful, the way you're playing down there,' " Pacioretty said. "That's definitely a big relief to hear that from him. He saw my game and I'm going to be more relaxed knowing that he's in my corner."

Pacioretty and Martin agreed it was necessary to go to Hamilton.

"I had to play top minutes to develop," Pacioretty said. "I had a lot to learn. He made me realize that you have to play at both ends of the ice and hold yourself accountable."

"I had a good meeting with Max," Martin added. "He played well last year, but we felt it wasn't the place for him to get to the next level. And unfortunately when he went down to Hamilton, he got injured."
Max seemed to get lost in the shuffle and it seems a lot of fans had forgotten about him but I really think he can be a good top 6 player. Can't wait to see him back with the Habs tomorrow.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
zzoo

From LaPresse: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS4

Pacioretty:
«Je dois aux passes de David Desharnais tous les buts que j'ai marqués. Sans lui, je ne serais pas ici aujourd'hui. J'étais un peu mal à l'aise lorsque j'ai appris la nouvelle. Il est à mes yeux le meilleur joueur de la Ligue américaine et c'est moi qui ai été rappelé. J'aurais tellement aimé qu'il obtienne une chance avec moi. David a surmonté tant d'épreuves pour se rendre où il est rendu. Il s'est fait dire qu'il était trop petit (5'7''), il n'a jamais été repêché, il s'est même retrouvé dans la Ligue de la Côte Est. Il est pourtant talentueux, rapide et combatif. Il est aussi le centre le plus généreux avec lequel j'ai eu l'occasion de jouer. Je demeure convaincu qu'il a sa place dans la LNH et qu'il va me rejoindre un jour. Il le mérite tellement.»

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Fredd

Pacioretty is on a line with Gomez and Gionta at practice right now.

Fredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:29 AM
FlyingRat

Whew, I'm glad they kept Moen in the top 6. Putting our 3rd leading scorer on the 4th line is a smart move by Jacques, gotta spread that offense.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Pacioretty is on a line with Gomez and Gionta at practice right now.
Music to my ears. Hopefully this is the winger Gomez needs and deserves. I like Moen but I know guys in my beer league with better hands.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Music to my ears. Hopefully this is the winger Gomez needs and deserves. I like Moen but I know guys in my beer league with better hands.
Maybe PG should be scouting your beer league because Moen keeps getting promoted as he's practicing with Cammy/Pleks this morning, again.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Maybe PG should be scouting your beer league because Moen keeps getting promoted as he's practicing with Cammy/Pleks this morning, again.

I think he'd get bored pretty quick.

I find Moen has decent hockey sense and he goes to the net but yeah. Definitely a bit frustrating to see Gomez make a really nice pass to him and he fumbles it. He's not a top 6 guy there is no doubt. I'm really hoping Paciorretty is ready and can solidify that line.

Old
12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
neofury*

I really hope this means:

Cammy-Plek-Kosty
Pacio-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche

If Pacioretty plays well we'll have a real top 9. Darche has been playing well enough to merit calling him an offensive 3rd line player now imo.

Then not only do we have a 1st and 3rd line we know works but a 2nd line that might become dominant in the second half!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I really hope this means:

Cammy-Plek-Kosty
Pacio-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Darche

If Pacioretty plays well we'll have a real top 9. Darche has been playing well enough to merit calling him an offensive 3rd line player now imo.

Then not only do we have a 1st and 3rd line we know works but a 2nd line that might become dominant in the second half!
I'd be willing to bet that's what that means and I agree. If it works out with Patches watch out.

Old
12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Whew, I'm glad they kept Moen in the top 6. Putting our 3rd leading scorer on the 4th line is a smart move by Jacques, gotta spread that offense.
AK has been slowing down dramatically compared to what we saw earlier in the season. He's not playing as well, not as involved. He is capable of more. It is possible Martin is sending him a message.

Either way, with Pacioretty called up, the return of Gomez and no other injuries (knock on wood), this should mean Moen being relegated to a grinding line at last.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:01 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
From LaPresse: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...8_section_POS4

Pacioretty:
«Je dois aux passes de David Desharnais tous les buts que j'ai marqués. Sans lui, je ne serais pas ici aujourd'hui. J'étais un peu mal à l'aise lorsque j'ai appris la nouvelle. Il est à mes yeux le meilleur joueur de la Ligue américaine et c'est moi qui ai été rappelé. J'aurais tellement aimé qu'il obtienne une chance avec moi. David a surmonté tant d'épreuves pour se rendre où il est rendu. Il s'est fait dire qu'il était trop petit (5'7''), il n'a jamais été repêché, il s'est même retrouvé dans la Ligue de la Côte Est. Il est pourtant talentueux, rapide et combatif. Il est aussi le centre le plus généreux avec lequel j'ai eu l'occasion de jouer. Je demeure convaincu qu'il a sa place dans la LNH et qu'il va me rejoindre un jour. Il le mérite tellement.»
For the french challenged amongst us

''I owe all my goals to David Desharnais' passes. Without him I wouldn't be here today. I felt uncomfortable when I heard the news that I was called up as I believe he's the best AHL player. I would have loved for him to get a chance too. David went trough a lot of things to get were he is, they told him he was too small, he went undrafted and even played in the ECHL. Yet he is talented, fast and fiesty. He's also the most generous center with whom I played. I'm convinced he has his place in the NHL and will join me one day. He deserves it so much.''

Remarks :

1. Serious bromance for Desharnais on Pacioretty's part
2. Its really hard to argue against giving DD a chance after reading this.. I hope the org hears the opinion of Pacioretty, it would be nice seeing them on a line together in the future.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
gusfring

When is Ryan White coming back? I would love to see him on a line with Pouliot and Eller.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
1. Serious bromance for Desharnais on Pacioretty's part
he speaks the truth, DD's setups are the main reason he's lighting up the AHL. Players get put on DD's line and all the sudden they start scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
When is Ryan White coming back? I would love to see him on a line with Pouliot and Eller.
Last I heard he was a couple weeks away from returning to the ice.

Last edited by montreal: 12-14-2010 at 11:22 AM.
montreal is offline   Reply With Quote