HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore (UPD #443ff 14-Dec agenda/lease links)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2010, 06:36 AM
  #976
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,057
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAgIn View Post
It should be interesting to see if any citizen's will stand up to the council tomorrow night and say this deal is shaddy, this deal is corrupt... this is bad for our city, and so on.

Someone has to step up, no?

But you can bet on one thing, that there will be plenty of people outside of Glendale praising the COG, the NHL and Hulsizer for this amazing lease on life. You can bet on it.
this deal completly fails the sniff test....
but I dont see any way possible that this deal gets voted down...
i know I would be super pissed about it...
you govt whining they they have no money and debt pass their eyeballs.... and then they pull this stunt...

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 07:07 AM
  #977
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I thought of a play on words, Imminence Front.


Although I do like "Money for Nothing" as we can sing, "I want my... I want my.... I want my... hockey team."



 
Old
12-14-2010, 07:35 AM
  #978
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,057
vCash: 375
Chuck Barris would be proud of all of this.

GONG

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 07:55 AM
  #979
Potrzebie
Registered User
 
Potrzebie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 964
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Plus it's almost time for a new thread. Bring on the title suggestions.
One step further Fugu...

"Imminence, yes it's all you ever pleaded"

Potrzebie is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:08 AM
  #980
AllByDesign
Thomas who?
 
AllByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Location, Location!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Can't buy me Skuggs...

AllByDesign is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:16 AM
  #981
metalfoot
Karlsson!
 
metalfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
I still like "The Neverending Story".

metalfoot is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
  #982
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
On this whole parking thing, does any one feel that there is a risk that by charging $10 or $15 to park at a game or any event might just cause people to stay away? People get use to things being free and don't like to suddenly pay for them and if the price of parking is the same or close to the price of some of the tickets. Or will people just pay it? Concidering the general thought is that the Coyotes need to raise ticket prices a litlle as well, is adding parking to that a big risk?
Well there is one question only a local could answer and that is how much free parking space is near the arena that the COG won't be able to control?

I mean it's not like it's horrible weather to walk a short walk and save $20.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:33 AM
  #983
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Glendale's theme-song...

or...

And Hulsizer's M.O. ...

Glendale's negotiating strategy...

If we want to distill this as simplistically and nationalistically as possible...

And the question all involved are asking themselves...

Wham City is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
  #984
Fidel Astro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck900 View Post
Its going to funny to watch the Coyotes next week playing in front of 5000 fans in Glendale( or did they give away their city name to?), sure was a great investment Glendale!
I know, it's going to be hilarious.

Fidel Astro is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:50 AM
  #985
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
So there is one way Hulsizer can get out of the lease.

Hulsizer has an escape clause that might allow him to move the team: If the city ever misses a payment for managing the arena, he can brake the proposed lease.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1836409/

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:56 AM
  #986
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
Not to give anyone any ideas...

But assuming that the CoG has an insurance policy on the arena, wouldn't it be better financially to get some disgruntled ex CoG employee to just burn the arena to the ground and have the CoG collect the insurance money.

I'm sure the CoG would be better off financially. JMO.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 08:57 AM
  #987
yotesreign
Registered User
 
yotesreign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Goldwater Blvd
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Suggestions

"You're Breaking My Heart, you're tearing it apart, so..." Harry Nilsson

"Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But..." Artic Monkeys

"Shut Up" Black Eyed Peas

"Shut Up And Let Me Go" The Ting Tings

"Blame Canada" South Park

"My Life Would Suck Without You" Kelly Clarkson

and in case the next might be the last:

"Take It To The Limit... 1 more time" Eagles

===============================
RE: Parking - I'd have tiered parking lot pricing - higher priced lots adjacent, lower priced lots farther out. There are enough inlets to steer traffic to whatever lots you want. Make the hefty walks $5 lots and when they fill up, the alternative will be higher priced lots, or Cabelas parking lots. People who don't mind a 3/4 mile walk to the game won't have to pay, but out here, that's a small number; we're not like those big strapping Canadians who will walk barefoot 3 miles in a blizzard to get to a game. Most guys paying $60 a seat for two tickets won't stay home because the parking fee is $10-$20; the guy who only goes to a couple games in the cheapest price level or 4 for $99 maybe he'll opt for the $10 lot or hike in but heck, a $10 parking spot is just one less beer inside the Arena, so that guy has 4 beers instead of 5 at the game.

Funny thing is some people mock attendance #s in the 8,000-10,000 range while others worry that parking fees will cause people to stay away. Clearly demonstrating everyone can't be right. The 8,000-10,000 aren't all going because it's free to park. It was never free to park when they played downtown - but down there, most of the parking fees went to privately owned lots offsite, not the city, not the team or Arena mgmt (aside from the attached garage)- and there were a handful of unsecured street parking spaces free after 5PM. Considering the # of snobs out here, it's quite likely that the # of people we'd lose due to no convenient free parking would be offset by the # that would come out for more exclusive parking that keeps the riff raff out of their lot.


Last edited by yotesreign: 12-14-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: proofread
yotesreign is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
  #988
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...
 
MHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
None of this makes sense. Look at the facts. First off, I am happy for the fans in Phoenix. I just think the circumstances surrounding this deal are insane.

If Hulsizer came in and bought the team with his own money, fine, but that’s not happening. Instead, the city is paying him to buy it. Sure, the city (the council to be exact) likes this deal but I don’t understand how the league can sit by and watch this pass, nor how they can endorse it. I don’t even see how the residents like this deal. What kind of message does it send?

This is the same league that, this summer, told the city the 25M in escrow was just an insurance policy. Yet, now it seems willing to take 100M of the city’s money so that the team can stay based on the numbers projected just so it doesn’t lose any money? I think Bettman and the owners need to suck it up and lose money on this transaction if they really want to keep the team there. This way, the burden will not solely be on Glendale. Maybe the league steps in and says “Glendale, you tried your best but we can’t support this deal. It goes beyond pro sports”. Who knows…

On top of that, the numbers or theory doesn’t add up. Increased ticket pricing, new parking fees, new “ownership” and an open letter to the Coyotes fans will turn things around? This is a huge speculative risk.

Based on what we’ve read here, the majority of the fanbase doesn’t live in Glendale so this has little to no impact on them. I’d be curious to know if any of the players even live in the city. I’ve read that Doan, Upshall and Bissonnette live outside the city.

Congratulations Glendale! You are propping up a pro sports team for the privilege of watching wealthy hockey players play a game they love in lieu of essential city services.

MHX is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
  #989
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed
 
Evil Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cambridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Although I do like "Money for Nothing" as we can sing, "I want my... I want my.... I want my... hockey team."

This gets my vote...

As the kids say today...win!


Last edited by Evil Doctor: 12-14-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Clarification
Evil Doctor is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 09:31 AM
  #990
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bank View Post
I think Bettman and the owners need to suck it up and lose money on this transaction if they really want to keep the team there.
Why would they? Bettman told all the teams that the NHL willl NOT lose money on this deal, and at the end of the day they won't. All the NHL cares about is getting the Coyotes off thier books and making it someone elses problem. Bettman doesn't care if it is the CoG paying the bills or Hulsizer, as long as it not the NHL.

The team stays in Phoenix for at least the next 7 years ( according to the NHL all new owners have to make a commitment of at least 7 years ). And 7 years from now Bettman most likely will have moved on to something else and won't care what happens.

Mission accomplished.


Last edited by cbcwpg: 12-14-2010 at 09:37 AM.
cbcwpg is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
  #991
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...
 
MHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Why would they? Bettman told all the teams that the NHL willl NOT lose money on this deal, and at the end of the day they won't. All the NHL cares about is getting the Coyotes off thier books and making it someone elses problem. Bettman doesn't care if it is the CoG paying the bills or Hulsizer, as long as it not the NHL.

Mission accomplished.
Don't get me wrong, I see what they're doing. Promise or not, I just don't like the fact that they'll make all their money back at the expense of Glendale.

MHX is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
  #992
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine
 
OthmarAmmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
RE: Parking - I'd have tiered parking lot pricing - higher priced lots adjacent, lower priced lots farther out. There are enough inlets to steer traffic to whatever lots you want. Make the hefty walks $5 lots and when they fill up, the alternative will be higher priced lots, or Cabelas parking lots. People who don't mind a 3/4 mile walk to the game won't have to pay, but out here, that's a small number; we're not like those big strapping Canadians who will walk barefoot 3 miles in a blizzard to get to a game. Most guys paying $60 a seat for two tickets won't stay home because the parking fee is $10-$20; the guy who only goes to a couple games in the cheapest price level or 4 for $99 maybe he'll opt for the $10 lot or hike in but heck, a $10 parking spot is just one less beer inside the Arena, so that guy has 4 beers instead of 5 at the game.
Sure, but I don't think there could be any $5 lots. The hefty walks would have to be $10 and the majority of the spots are going to have to be $20, and even then they'll have a difficult time covering their debt service.

OthmarAmmann is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
  #993
aj8000
Registered User
 
aj8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
===============================
RE: Parking - I'd have tiered parking lot pricing - higher priced lots adjacent, lower priced lots farther out. There are enough inlets to steer traffic to whatever lots you want. Make the hefty walks $5 lots and when they fill up, the alternative will be higher priced lots, or Cabelas parking lots. People who don't mind a 3/4 mile walk to the game won't have to pay, but out here, that's a small number; we're not like those big strapping Canadians who will walk barefoot 3 miles in a blizzard to get to a game. Most guys paying $60 a seat for two tickets won't stay home because the parking fee is $10-$20; the guy who only goes to a couple games in the cheapest price level or 4 for $99 maybe he'll opt for the $10 lot or hike in but heck, a $10 parking spot is just one less beer inside the Arena, so that guy has 4 beers instead of 5 at the game.
I am sorry, I do not buy your argument. If it only one less beer during the game why didn't the previous owners just raise the ticket price? The parking was free; therefore, they should have been able to get higher ticket pricing in the past. Other than the die hard fans (like your self) I suspect most hockey fans are fair weather fans and cost does matter.

I know, I know, the fans will come out now since there is an owner and the team is playing well. I doubt it.

Maybe H will spend to the cap and the Yotes will be better team, I doubt that too.

The other argument is that it would cost them more money if the Yotes leave; however, everyone who makes that argument cannot back it up with any calculations.

The City of Glendale was out of their league in this deal

I am actually happy the Yotes are staying in Gendale, I stopped watching hockey when the Jets left; therefore, in the long run, I do not really care if the Jets come back; however, watching the Yotes saga over the past couple of years and possibly into the future has been fun. Can't wait until H sells the city of Glendale the airspace rights above the parking lots for 100,000,000 so they can put up some advertising banners as well.

aj8000 is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
  #994
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,707
vCash: 500
It's interesting that most posters who like this deal live in the Phoenix area, and most posters who don't like it don't live in that area.

Why would anyone who isn't a Glendale taxpayer care? It's not their money and they aren't constituents of the City of Glendale.

TaketheCannoli is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
  #995
aj8000
Registered User
 
aj8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bank View Post
Don't get me wrong, I see what they're doing. Promise or not, I just don't like the fact that they'll make all their money back at the expense of Glendale.
Why, if the City of Glendale wants to give millions to a hockey team so be it. They only ones affected by this is the taxpayers of Glendale.

aj8000 is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:10 AM
  #996
aj8000
Registered User
 
aj8000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 731
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
It's interesting that most posters who like this deal live in the Phoenix area, and most posters who don't like it don't live in that area.

Why would anyone who isn't a Glendale taxpayer care? It's not their money and they aren't constituents of the City of Glendale.
I do not think that most of the people who like the deal live in Glendale. They like it because they get to keep the team and the cost to them will be minimal.

BTW, I do no like nor dislike the deal. I do think it is bad deal for Glendale, bit that is their problem not mine.

aj8000 is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:16 AM
  #997
Free Kassian
Registered User
 
Free Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
I still like "The Neverending Story".
I'm partial to "Mayor Scruggs, can you spare one billion dimes?"

Free Kassian is online now  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
  #998
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,421
vCash: 500
Keeping with the music theme, I guess I can throw one out there:


WJG is offline  
Old
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
  #999
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
It's interesting that most posters who like this deal live in the Phoenix area, and most posters who don't like it don't live in that area.

Why would anyone who isn't a Glendale taxpayer care? It's not their money and they aren't constituents of the City of Glendale.

Because it's just wrong?

Here's the new thread, so answer me there, but how does losing even more money benefit Glendale? The business/financial case has yet to be made as to why COG would do this. They really would be better off buying the team themselves.


Continue here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=853031


And it's a wrap on Part XV.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.