TP
Mod Supervisor
Here We Go Bruins!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
TB 2 years $4 million per. Just an educated guess
so....

Washington can pick him up at 2 mil for 2 years through waivers? (in theory, I know Washington has the better record)

wow, this is confusing.

TP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Greyhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Good lord, man. Couldn't disagree more Take a look at the number of leads Neuvirth has blown in the 3rd period this year and tell me he isn't a huge concern right now.

He's a talented player, but he gives up a softie and it's over. He tends to completely lose it and has yet to prove he can make the big save consistently at the NHL level. And yes, I know he was outstanding in Hershey.

As for Varlamov, supreme athlete, but highly streaky. You never know which Varly you're going to get. He's awesome...or he's stinkroid. He isn't solid down the middle as much as that team needs him to be.

Neither one of these guys gives me even the remotest sense of a warm and fuzzy as to being able to carry the mail in the playoffs. On paper they may look OK, but I hate the body language I see from those guys in the game. Neuvirth looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and Varly, well, let's just say he's more of a student of the Alexander Semin school of intensity than he is the Ovechkin academy.

The Caps defense is an issue...but so is their goaltending. They need a veteran to take the pressure off whichever young guy is left standing. Right now, their flaws get magnified every time the Caps lose a game they ought to win because their goalies weren't able to make the big stop at crunch time. Expectations in D.C. are crushing...it's lousy thing to do expecting that tandem to carry that city's Stanley Cup hopes.

They ain't ready.
You're right, I haven't seen a lot of Caps games this year, but I'm not going to come down as heavy on their goalies as some of the locals in Washington. I've seen these guys play, and they ain't that bad. If the Caps are going to go anywhere, it's their defensive play that needs attention.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

You know, I've watched these guys in training camp and regular season now over the past several years: if it looks like a duck, walks like one, quacks like one...it's probably a duck. I wouldn't put anything of consequence on the odds of these two performing to the level required come playoff time. The porous defense just makes it a worse problem than it is. Those who think the Caps are going to be "fine" with these two will sing a different tune in the spring, assuming McPhee leaves the status quo in place.

Maybe some day they can get it done...but based on what I've seen-- Not this year.

Kirk- NEHJ is online now   Reply With Quote