HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Callahan "Heart of a Ranger"

Old
12-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Wolfpack21

vCash: 500
Ryan Callahan "Heart of a Ranger"

Just wanted to share this very well written article I came across recognizing Ryan Callahan's hard work.

Ryan Callahan: The Epitome of Rangers Hockey

http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/ar...hockey/3789306

Enjoy!

Wolfpack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Heart & Soul.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
AJRanger

Can't disagree. Callahan embodies everything I want this team to be, love the kid (I say 'kid', he's actually a year older than me).

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Picture our team now... then picture it without...

Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, Sauer, Del Zotto, Lundqvist, Stepan, Anisimov.

We are truly a home grown team.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Can't disagree. Callahan embodies everything I want this team to be, love the kid (I say 'kid', he's actually a year older than me).
Couldnt have said it better myself. He should be wearing the C right now imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:30 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Couldnt have said it better myself. He should be wearing the C right now imho.
We should give him the C...

Drury's C can just be for "Chris" haha

We have a lame-duck Captain, boys...

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Picture our team now... then picture it without...

Staal, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, Sauer, Del Zotto, Lundqvist, Stepan, Anisimov.

We are truly a home grown team.
It makes no sense when people say our prospects and home grown talent can't carry us to another level or that we're not a "good" team and won't be. Shows a complete lack of hockey sense or an extreme bias due to the horrible mismanagement we've seen in the past. But right now the Rangers and not FA's are a good team and getting better. At least for now it's a great time to be a Ranger fan.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:07 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post

I know most won't agree but I think a lot of the leadership callahan possesses, he learned from drury. Drury has been here pretty much from the very beginning when cally was called up. Cally has gotten even better at blocking shots over the past couple years. In fact alot of the team has. And I think drury deserves the credit there. Not to mention drury and cally are similar players. And also the two were paired up at the Olympics last year. It' inconceivable to think drury did not have something to do with Cally's development.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
I know most won't agree but I think a lot of the leadership callahan possesses, he learned from drury. Drury has been here pretty much from the very beginning when cally was called up. Cally has gotten even better at blocking shots over the past couple years. In fact alot of the team has. And I think drury deserves the credit there. Not to mention drury and cally are similar players. And also the two were paired up at the Olympics last year. It' inconceivable to think drury did not have something to do with Cally's development.
How dare you post something positive about the Rangers captain

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Callahan said it best :

Quote:
"I think we are similar types of players, but there is so much I can still learn from Dru,” explained Callahan, the 24-year-old right wing. “His experience; his preparation; his leadership. I am very fortunate to be able to spend so much time with him and be able to learn from him.”
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=526605

Drury's value is constantly underrated by the average Ranger fan.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:17 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post

Stop with this *********. You have absolutely no idea what Chris Drury is like as a captain. Just because he doesn't scream and yell doesn't mean he's a terrible captain.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Callahan said it best :

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=526605

Drury's value is constantly underrated by the average Ranger fan.
well to be fair its not like Cally is going to say "drury is a washed up 4th line penalty killer at best now, the only reason he is wearing the C is because of how much money he makes"....

Old
12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
well to be fair its not like Cally is going to say "drury is a washed up 4th line penalty killer at best now, the only reason he is wearing the C is because of how much money he makes"....
Of course he wouldn't. But what Callahan said has been echoes by basically everyone that's ever played with Drury throughout his career.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
WE both been around hockey a long time, if he wanted to he COULD HAVE stated it differently without being so blatant.

Fact is, Drury is not what THEY say he is. He makes 7 million dollars and you would never be able to notice it when you are around him. He puts his head down and works hard at all facets of the game and never stops going. The work ethic and the commitment to even the smallest things are whats being learned by guys like Cally.

I personally have gotten more out of Captains that teach by walking the walk instead of talking tough and giving 'Rudy' type speeches.

You really want to learn about someone you watch what they do, not just what they say.

Old
12-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

meh.

i dont mind drury...really, if he were making like 3 mil, id probably even like him...but his contract hurts our ability to add a true elite player, and thats a fact. i wish our captain had more tangibles than intangibles.

Old
12-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
meh.

i dont mind drury...really, if he were making like 3 mil, id probably even like him...but his contract hurts our ability to add a true elite player, and thats a fact. i wish our captain had more tangibles than intangibles.
Well, if we're wishing that's a different story

I'm living in the here and now, he adds to our team unlike others who came here for money and did nothing. And if our youth ends up to be leaders and valuable NHL'ers I'd say 7 million well spent. Drury bridges the gap to the future, I think we're lucky to have him.

Old
12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
OverTheCap

Cally reminds me of a younger, slightly less skilled Drury.

It's entirely possible that when Cally is Drury's age, he will play similar to how Drury has played the past few years... score 15-20 goals a season, excel at the PK, lead by example on the ice. If Cally is still on the team and is captain at that point in his career, I have a feeling that Rangers fans wouldn't be moaning about how he has to relinquish the C.

I find it hilarious how so many fans want to strip Drury's C and give it to Cally instead, when Drury is essentially an older, more experienced version of him. But I guess he's overpaid and not homegrown so that makes him a bad leader. And I know a lot of fans criticize Drury for being quiet and softspoken, but Cally doesn't exactly strike me as the Messier-type who gives rousing speeches, either.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If in the future, when captain Ryan Callahan is lifting the Stanley Cup and cites Drury as a big influence, the 7 mil is more than justified.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Future captain, perhaps.

Not set in stone, a lot could happen between now and the end of next year; A Drury contract extension, a Cally trade or let go, a Torts firing,

But If I had one guy on the roster to put my money on, it would be him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Unleash the demons!

He's got a C waiting for him for the 2012 season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
meh.

well Drury also should have known that when he signed the contract that there is a salary cap and should have asked himself will my contract hurt the team in the future???

well also everyone says it was Drury's favorite team growing up, but honestly if it was you would think that he should have taken less money to help the team...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:56 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
well Drury also should have known that when he signed the contract that there is a salary cap and should have asked himself will my contract hurt the team in the future???

well also everyone says it was Drury's favorite team growing up, but honestly if it was you would think that he should have taken less money to help the team...
Granted I have no idea how old you are, but these two statements make you sound like a nieve 14 year old.

The facts of life are that if you are in a position to make 7 million a year you take it.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
XLJ

Drury is getting paid like a superstar and certainly not producing like one. Just because he is a good teammate that doesn't justify his contract. Callahan says nice things about Drury thats nice. Del Zotto said the same about Redden when he got sent down.

Drury a nice player but with his contract he has hurt the franchise more than he has helped it. I'll be glad when he is gone.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
JimmyStart*

Even through hater glasses it should be pretty damn obvious Drury is a helluva leader who shows a ton of grit and toughness. The shots he blocked, his stick work (undortunately it seems only without the puck). He is NOT worth 7 mil of course but no one should be indicating that he's a washed up scrub or anything like that or that his leadership skills stink.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Granted I have no idea how old you are, but these two statements make you sound like a nieve 14 year old.

The facts of life are that if you are in a position to make 7 million a year you take it.
players do take paycuts...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote