Blue Jackets 2 Flames 3 (OT)

Old
12-14-2010, 11:50 AM
jtommyt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
And Jokinen has been that much better?

There is no denying that Backlund hasn't lived up to his potential offensively this season. You know what might help though? Not playing with Glencross and Jackman for the first month and a half. Getting some PP time maybe?
That pass to Iginla last night was a beauty... right in the wheelhouse.

I hope he gets the opportunity to do that more as the season progresses.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
By the looks of it not much....

Well done, my good sir. That is a substantial amount of win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I would take Jokinen over Stajan at this point. Stajan has been utterly useless since his arrival, but he's untradeable because of the terrible contract Sutter gave him.

Anyway, how did Backlund look with Iginla?
I wouldn't take Lolli over anyone at this point. His signature move lately is to skate the puck into the corner, cough it up to the other team, then stand there looking shell shocked. Wrong guy is watching from the press box, IMO.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I can't believe the hate for Stajan recently... the guy has produced to the point levels expected of him... sure his goal production is low... but his assists have been a pleasant surprise... IMO Stajan on pace for 45-50 assists is nice to see and this hate he gets is unwarranted... keep in mind he is not a #1 center and its not his fault he was being used as such
I agree, and I'm not tryinig to hate on Stajan either. But are his assists more of a result of playing on a line with Iggy and Tangs, or is it because he is making things happen on his own? I do not think Stajan has been bad at all, but I do not think he has been great either.

But I do think given a chance with playing on the top line that Backlund would at the very least would bring what Stajan has, although I think he would probably contribute a whole lot more. Stajan hasn't had a play anywhere close to the pass that Backlund setup Iggy with last night. He just does not have the vision and hockey IQ that Backlund has.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I agree, and I'm not tryinig to hate on Stajan either. But are his assists more of a result of playing on a line with Iggy and Tangs, or is it because he is making things happen on his own? I do not think Stajan has been bad at all, but I do not think he has been great either.

But I do think given a chance with playing on the top line that Backlund would at the very least would bring what Stajan has, although I think he would probably contribute a whole lot more. Stajan hasn't had a play anywhere close to the pass that Backlund setup Iggy with last night. He just does not have the vision and hockey IQ that Backlund has.
I completely agree a majority of his assists were not a direct result of him making a play. Also i just find it hard that you can only have one goal playing with Iggy and Tanguay. You should have plenty of opportunities to score. I know Stajan is not know for his goal scoring but neither is Tanguay who has 7 or so goals. It comes down to burying your chances which Stajan has not done, he needs to bare down and get into the tough areas.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
I am hoping the owners have a new years resolution to fire Sutter
All joking aside (I'm not sure if this is serious), I'll never understand the "fire Sutter" calls here on this board.

Brent Sutter is the perfect coach for this hockey club, if you want to blame anyone for this lackluster start you blame the personnel, which will likely improve between now and the trade deadline.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
tfong

Quote:
I can't believe the hate for Stajan recently... the guy has produced to the point levels expected of him... sure his goal production is low... but his assists have been a pleasant surprise... IMO Stajan on pace for 45-50 assists is nice to see and this hate he gets is unwarranted... keep in mind he is not a #1 center and its not his fault he was being used as such
Stajs is pretty much on pace for his normal point totals. He came as advertised so I'm pretty happy with how he is doing stat wise right now.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:23 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
And Jokinen has been that much better?

There is no denying that Backlund hasn't lived up to his potential offensively this season. You know what might help though? Not playing with Glencross and Jackman for the first month and a half. Getting some PP time maybe?
He played one or two games with Jackman, and Glencross was on of our top scorers for the first month and a half. He's a playmaking center, so until he proves that he can help make the players around him better I'm not buying into this Backlund on the first line sentiment. Not while we're still in the playoff race anyways. You guys are expecting him to do things that are beyond his capabilities right now. I think the coaches have a good sense of what he can do right now (as they are around him every single day) and they are using him accordingly.

WhereIsIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post

who said Stajan was great? Stajan is an average 2nd line center... and thats how he has been playing

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:59 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

1 goal in 43 games played for Stajan. Simply not good enough.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
He played one or two games with Jackman, and Glencross was on of our top scorers for the first month and a half. He's a playmaking center, so until he proves that he can help make the players around him better I'm not buying into this Backlund on the first line sentiment. Not while we're still in the playoff race anyways. You guys are expecting him to do things that are beyond his capabilities right now. I think the coaches have a good sense of what he can do right now (as they are around him every single day) and they are using him accordingly.
Only way to possibly get him to those capabilities is to give him more ice time. I'm not necessarily advocating first line, but would some PP time really hurt him? I mean our centers are Jokinen (second line at best...), Stajan (scratched), Morrison (2nd line at best). Are you honestly telling me that we can't even give Backlund the chance? Its not like any of our other centers are doing jack **** right now.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Backlund cross ice pass to Iginla. Puck is in net. Can Jokinen do that?

Whether he scores or not Backlund is one of our most creative forwards. Excellent two-way player. I do not fully trust Sutter with Backlund; past few games he's been playing under 12 minutes a game...why is that?

Last night Jokinen's play during OT is exactly why he shouldn't be centering Iginla; the play dies on his stick 99% of the time. I'm not questioning his work-ethic; he works hard on the forcheck, but he's better off being a checking center.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
Last night Jokinen's play during OT is exactly why he shouldn't be centering Iginla; the play dies on his stick 99% of the time. I'm not questioning his work-ethic; he works hard on the forcheck, but he's better off being a checking center.
Or how about that 3 on 1 when Jarome passed to Joker, the defender slid along the ice and Jokinen demonstrated his patience by firing it right into his chest.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
All joking aside (I'm not sure if this is serious), I'll never understand the "fire Sutter" calls here on this board.

Brent Sutter is the perfect coach for this hockey club, if you want to blame anyone for this lackluster start you blame the personnel, which will likely improve between now and the trade deadline.
Wrong Sutter, my man.

A local paper recently conducted a poll during a game, asking who was to blame for the Flames' current situation - president Ken King, GM Darryl Sutter, or coach Brent. The GM received 87% of the votes. The coach received 0% (as in no votes).

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:04 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
A local paper recently conducted a poll during a game, asking who was to blame for the Flames' current situation - president Ken King, GM Darryl Sutter, or coach Brent. The GM received 87% of the votes. The coach received 0% (as in no votes).
The poll should've have given the option to blame the players. And it was 84% of the votes.

Last edited by MarkGio: 12-14-2010 at 05:10 PM.
MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Wrong Sutter, my man.

Ahh, my bad. I have no opinion on Darryl because I don't know his tendencies well enough, I'll take your guys' word for it though

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
He played one or two games with Jackman, and Glencross was on of our top scorers for the first month and a half. He's a playmaking center, so until he proves that he can help make the players around him better I'm not buying into this Backlund on the first line sentiment.
What have Stajan and Jokinen done to deserve any first line time? Nevermind that, but what have they done to deserve all the PP time they get compared to Backlund? Neither of them have been making their linemates better.

In the past 5 games Jokinen has played almost 20 minutes on the PP. Backlund? 52 seconds. How is that justified? Sure Jokinen has gotten a couple goals, but with twenty minutes I would certainly hope so. Backlund got a couple minutes against Pittsburgh and ever since has been cut off almost entirely. How come Joker gets all these chances (including 5 and 6 minutes a night on the PP) while Backlund gets relegated to checking line duties?

Quote:
Not while we're still in the playoff race anyways.
Quite the optimistic viewpoint to think that the quality of play of our current top line centres is something that will get us out of the basement.

Quote:
You guys are expecting him to do things that are beyond his capabilities right now. I think the coaches have a good sense of what he can do right now (as they are around him every single day) and they are using him accordingly.
How will he get to those capabilities? By playing him in a role where he doesn't get to use them? What capabilities have Jokinen and Stajan shown aside from being extremely frustrating?

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:27 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Or how about that 3 on 1 when Jarome passed to Joker, the defender slid along the ice and Jokinen demonstrated his patience by firing it right into his chest.
That was pure genius. Man that Jokinen guy sure has all kinds of hockey IQ. One of the smartest players to ever play the game.

He could very well go down as my most hated Flames player ever. Even ahead of Anders Erkisson and I didn't think that was possible.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
who said Stajan was great? Stajan is an average 2nd line center... and thats how he has been playing
All I was implying is that Stajan has been average. I agree, he has been playing at a level of what a second or very good 3rd line centre should be playing at. Again he hasn't been bad, and he hasn't been great. I never said you quoted him as being great. I don't think he deserves all the hate thrown his way either, but he has done nothing special that has deserved him to be a fixture on the top line.

With all the line juggling Sutter does I do not know why Backlund has not been given a shot to centre Iggy and Tangs. Brent has said Backlund has been one of our best overall forwards this year, so if he really believes that then why not give him several games to see what he can do playing some more minutes with our other top players? He sure as hell won't do any worse that Jokinen or Stajan, and the upside to it could be very positive. He has already shown in his young career that he plays best under pressure (ie. when he was called up last year and playing with Kelowna for their playoff run), so maybe this could really get him going. We are already in the basement of the West, what else do the Flames have to lose, lets see what this kid can do.

P.S. Lunatik that last paragraph was not directed at you.

Old
12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
GoFlames

Stajan is doing just fine... producing the points expected. I do notg et the hate on his high assists and low goals after all Iginla is supposed to need a play maker right? Stajan>>>>>> Joker

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Stajan is doing just fine... producing the points expected. I do notg et the hate on his high assists and low goals after all Iginla is supposed to need a play maker right? Stajan>>>>>> Joker
See I don't think it is hate on Stajan, (well at least thats how I feel) but I think that fans feel that Backlund may capable of providing more. I think we all know what kind of player Stajan is and he is not a 1st line centre.