HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Fenders?

Old
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Skate Fenders?

They are very new, but a few NHL players are starting to wear them(Patrick Eaves among a couple others). Anyone ever try them?

I inquired about them on their site since they don't have a public price yet.

Only down side of the product is that i'm sure you'll get made fun of by your team and the other team since they kinda stand out.

http://www.skatefenders.com/

I'll let you guys know how much they are charging when they get back to me, if its cheap i'll give them a shot maybe.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
A good amount of Canadian's players wear them... Including Tom Pyatt, who had one break from a Kurtis Foster slap shot.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Ragss

I should get a pair. My ankle got sprained by a fairly weak wrister hitting the inside of my left ankle in a rec league game. Put me out for almost 2 months.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
stick9

Could have used a pair last night. Took a bomb of the inside of my foot, right at the big toe joint....still hurts.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Badger36

Those are actually a really clever idea, even if they do make your skates look kinda of goofy.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

They cost 59.99, the guy just got back to me.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Webernaut

Didn't look at the site but last night at the Lightning game I noticed a ton of guys wearing them but it seems that Bauer paints them just like the skate. It looks identical to the boot of the skate. Weird. Also, the ones I saw guys wearing were held on by the laces of the skate like interwoven if that makes sense.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
They cost 59.99, the guy just got back to me.
I was expecting something expensive like $150-200, I will seriously consider a pair now.

I play as a defenseman and I HATE HATE HATE taking a puck off the foot.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Gino 14

Seems a very small price to pay for the comfort and safety that they can bring.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:22 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Grrrr, players get these but overdrive blades are illegal for goalies. Ill refrain from further ranting.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:27 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Grrrr, players get these but overdrive blades are illegal for goalies. Ill refrain from further ranting.
Overdrive blades are performance enhancing and create a sharp exposed edge during the course of normal play. These are just covers to keep players from breaking feet, a lot like goalie skate cowlings.

Quit yer whining. Variants of these have been used for years, thought most have been too ugly or expensive to catch on at retail, and they don't do anything but provide protection. If you want to make them illegal, you can go back to quilted canvas chest protectors.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:32 AM
crashman

vCash: 714
As the OP mentioned, I know a couple Red Wings wear them...Patrick Eaves, Brad Stuart....maybe more, can't remember.

They might not look great but you'll never be scared to block shot with your foot anymore, so I think it's worth it.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
TMAN11111

They are Clear... That's why it looks like the skate..They attach under the bottom of the boot with a Velcro strap

TMAN11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAN11111 View Post
They are Clear... That's why it looks like the skate..They attach under the bottom of the boot with a Velcro strap
No. The one's I saw were def painted like the skate.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:46 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Overdrive blades are performance enhancing and create a sharp exposed edge during the course of normal play. These are just covers to keep players from breaking feet, a lot like goalie skate cowlings.

Quit yer whining. Variants of these have been used for years, thought most have been too ugly or expensive to catch on at retail, and they don't do anything but provide protection. If you want to make them illegal, you can go back to quilted canvas chest protectors.
Only problem I have with them is that it could make players even more fearless when it comes to blocking shots, which is the performance enhancing part of it. (Im talking NHL level)

Overdrive blades was more about preventing injuries than it ever was about performancing enhancing, the main thing was it helped prevent slipouts when doing b-fly slides. If youre actually using the actual overdrive blade to do b-fly slides you're not going to be very good with them. In the end im not really actually that upset or anything about overdrive blades or these skate fenders, just my little annoyance I have.

On the flip side, the more people who use them probably will want to block more shots, which makes my job easier.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
Canadian Distributor

These will be distributed in Canada through www.skatefenders.ca (currently under construction but should be up the beginning of July). You can also contact the distributor directly to order:

Dave Marshall
Skate Fenders
Canadian Distributor
613-448-3088
dave@skatefenders.ca

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 05:08 PM
timekeep

This looks as the same equipment that Pronger was using, do you know if these are the same.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
This looks as the same equipment that Pronger was using, do you know if these are the same.
Clearly, they aren't even close to the same. The only similarity is they go on the skate.

*Edit: The flappy plastic and felt skate guard Pronger is MOST KNOWN for is not a skate fender. Late in the playoffs he wore Skate Fenders under that. Now if you work for Skate Fender, stop spamming me on other mediums and address it in the thread.

Last edited by TBLfan: 07-19-2010 at 05:44 PM.
TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've seen one guy where them in rec league play. He had the clear ones, they looked a little weird but if you are prone to blocking bombs with your feet it seems like a good investment and shouldn't hinder your skating.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:45 PM
bp spec

I've seen the straps loosen up and end up under the skate. And then you'll have som problems keeping your balance I can tell.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Vicegrip

Skate Fenders

Hi guys,

I noticed that some of you guys had questions regarding the product. I am a Canadian Distributor and would be happy to answer any of your questions.
In the above thread you speak of the strapping, let's not confuse the product that Georges (Montreal Canadians) wore last year that received bad media with this product …Skate fenders, it is not the same product. Any way, there was a concern regarding the length of the straps and there was a chance of them coming off when throwing them in the hockey bag. The company , addressed this concern with the new model. The straps are much longer - designed to fit all sizes. Simply strap them on, and take a pair of scissors and cut off the excess, it will not fray so it keeps it clean. Also, with the design of the hook and loop technique, they will not come off your skates. I do have a few customer that run a stitch across the top to permanently secure them.

With regards to Pronger wearing them, Yes they are the exact same product but he also wears a flat type protection as well..but rest assured he is one of our customer along with many other NHL players.

Like I said, if you have any questions, please feel free to send me an e-mail dave@skatefenders.ca or visit my site www.skatefenders.ca. I have a Christmas special on – so if you are thinking about getting yourself a pair, you may want to act now before the price goes back up.

Take care
Dave Marshall

Vicegrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
BlackDog13

Looks like a good idea to me. They appear to offer way more protection than the old ankle gurads D-men wore BITD. (Yeah, I'm that old and I wore 'em too)

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote