HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee injury

Old
12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
GilmourClarkScores

vCash: 500
Knee injury

So I strained my mcl 8 weeks ago (some jacka** turtled as we were about to collide) and I should be healed and read to lace them up again. However, I'm not 100% ready to skate so I went to physio yesterday for the 1st time and they confirmed it should be healed but it's not. So now they hope to aggravate and reform scar tissue so my body will start healing the area again. On top of that they think I have something called a Baker's cyst:

Bakerís Cyst: Localized swelling of a bursa sac in the back of the knee as a result of fluid that has escaped from the knee capsule. A Bakerís cyst indicates that there is a trauma inside the knee joint that leads to excessive fluid production.

Options to treat it are 1) nothing - it will eventually go away 2) cortisone shot 3) surgery

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? Maybe a teammate? How long did it take to fully heal?

I dread being out for the season from a measly grade 1 mcl strain

I play on 2 teams and I'm missing soooo much hockey.

Cheers

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:45 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmourClarkScores View Post
So I strained my mcl 8 weeks ago (some jacka** turtled as we were about to collide) and I should be healed and read to lace them up again. However, I'm not 100% ready to skate so I went to physio yesterday for the 1st time and they confirmed it should be healed but it's not. So now they hope to aggravate and reform scar tissue so my body will start healing the area again. On top of that they think I have something called a Baker's cyst:

Bakerís Cyst: Localized swelling of a bursa sac in the back of the knee as a result of fluid that has escaped from the knee capsule. A Bakerís cyst indicates that there is a trauma inside the knee joint that leads to excessive fluid production.

Options to treat it are 1) nothing - it will eventually go away 2) cortisone shot 3) surgery

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? Maybe a teammate? How long did it take to fully heal?

I dread being out for the season from a measly grade 1 mcl strain

I play on 2 teams and I'm missing soooo much hockey.

Cheers
I had an MCL tear a few years ago. My asst coach is an Ortho so he read an MRI in the locker room for me. During the process of pointing out the MCL tear he also pointed out I had a torn meniscus and "judging by the size of that cyst right there, it's been there for a while." I'm certain it was the result of a motorcycle accident in 1988 when I couldn't convince any of the doctors to give me a referal to an ortho guy.

Anyway, I let the MCL heal for about a month or two and then came back wearing a store bought knee brace. About 8 or 9 months later I had the meniscus trimmed. I don't know if they did anything with the cycst or not. I played in a game less than two months after the surgery but was actually cleared earlier than I actually played. I did go to therapy probably two solid months after they gave me the option to just continue at home. The PT loved me because "I don't have many patients that actually like it the more I abuse them".

Now, I have never been a premier athlete nor have I ever been in really good shape but my legs, and particularly my knee, were the strongest they had ever been. Sadly, I converted back to my desk monkey ways and it's on the weaker side again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think if you wear a brace and push yourself in PT, absolutely using proper form, stretching etc., you should be able to make it back in short order.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I sprained my MCL in early March. It was a pretty severe sprain one in which I also fractured the tibia and fibula. I was playing sand volleyball and came down awkward on it and I hyperextended the knee one way and then someone on the other side of the net hyperextended it the other way by bashing into it.

Anyways I was lucky enough to not have surgery, but I did need a lot of physical therapy and I was not back and skating until mid May. It is still a little weaker then my other knee but I wear a soft brace and tape it up for stability. So I would say it was about 2 months to heal well enough to skate and maybe 3 to feel really confident. The problem with knees is that they never fully heal properly. I have had 2 injuries on my left knee and I know that unfortunately they are never the same.

I also had a baker's cyst when I was younger and it went away on its own with no ill affects. I can't remember how long it took to go away though.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote