HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Callahan "Heart of a Ranger"

Old
12-14-2010, 05:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
players do take paycuts...
Not when they have offers for more. And not when they're UFAs for the first time.

12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not when they have offers for more. And not when they're UFAs for the first time.
cliff lee says hello. bah

redfzn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
well Drury also should have known that when he signed the contract that there is a salary cap and should have asked himself will my contract hurt the team in the future???

well also everyone says it was Drury's favorite team growing up, but honestly if it was you would think that he should have taken less money to help the team...
Your kidding right? Some of you need to get your head out of your *****. This isn't some fantasy world we live in. Everyone here would've have taken it and you all damn well know it. It doesnt matter if it was his favorite team growing up. You have a family to keep in mind. You have stability to keep in mind for even after you retire. Pay for your kids to go to college so they don't have to pay off loans. Drury was coming off the best season of his career. It is sather's fault for caving in and giving him the deal not drury's. If Sather did not give it to him (and he shouldn't have), someone else would have and if not $7 mil it wouldve been $6 mil. Drury's numbers were a result of that post lockout inflation in those first couple of years. I'm sure a lot of owners, as did sather, thought with the new NHL these are the type of players that will succeed and overlooked the possibilities of failure.

Some of you need to take your blinders off and stop disliking the guy because he has a big contract. He plays his heart out, wears it on his sleeve. It is exactly why he is has struggled with injuries, because leaves it all on the ice. That is something to be admired. Callahan said those things about him because he wanted to, because he truly believes in those traits that drury has. He could've gotten around it by saying that he was a good leader and that was it. No instead cally went in depth about it because drury has influenced him.

I agree with the faction that argue leaders that do it by example are the ones that are admired most. And no the example isnt simply based on points. You watch the way a leader carries himself, how hard he works, how he pushes himself, gets in front of shots time and time again, and it resonates throughout the team. It matters. I said it earlier, this team has taken the shape of drury type players throughout the lineup. The rangers are blocking a lot more shots this year, helping henrik out. I strongly believe drury has something to do with that.

The guy has what? 2 more years left? Get over it already and start appreciating him for the type of player he actually is. He is not going to score 30 goals, and he most likely will not post 60+ points. But the guy will win FO's, strengthen the PK, get his nose dirty, and inspire his teammates.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
cliff lee says hello. bah
You see this is the kind of....dumb...and ignorant responses people make when they ignore the facts.

I guess you can call making $24 million for a 5 year/$120 million contract a "paycut" compared to the 6 year/$150 million contract with an option for a 7th year the yankees were offering. People are going to use Lee as an example when he sure as hell isn't some breathe of fresh of air breaking traditional standards. He still signed for big money, just not as much as he could've made.

Next time be relevant when you want to make a point.

Old
12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
You see this is the kind of....dumb...and ignorant responses people make when they ignore the facts.

I guess you can call making $24 million for a 5 year/$120 million contract a "paycut" compared to the 6 year/$150 million contract with an option for a 7th year the yankees were offering. People are going to use Lee as an example when he sure as hell isn't some breathe of fresh of air breaking traditional standards. He still signed for big money, just not as much as he could've made.

Next time be relevant when you want to make a point.
yeap, you're right.

... and drury should've took 3 per instead of the 7 slats offered.

i actually was not agreeing w the fact that drury should've took a pay cut, just merely disagreeing w the previous post that said that players don't take pay cuts using lee as an example. but ok, next time i'll be sure to use the sarcasm emoticon.

Last edited by redfzn: 12-14-2010 at 06:54 PM.
redfzn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Callahan said it best :

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=526605

Drury's value is constantly underrated by the average Ranger fan.
No, it isn't. It's overrated. What do you expect Cally to say? "Nah, I'm really the captain of this team. Dru is old and on the decline and we don't really need his "leadership" anymore. We've moved on. The team now belongs to myself, Hank, Dubi, Staal, and Girardi, and even Stepan now." He's just saying the right thing. I wouldn't read anything into that in terms of reality. The reality is that Dru, leadership or not, doesn't really fill a role better than anyone else we have right now. I prefer Fedotenko to him as a 3rd/4th liner. It's been a while since Drury played. A lot of you seem to have forgotten how miserably bad he was for long stretches as a Ranger.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:03 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
yeap, you're right.

... and drury should've took 3 per instead of the 7 slats offered.

i actually was not agreeing w the fact that drury should've took a pay cut, just merely disagreeing w the previous post that said that players don't take pay cuts using lee as an example. but ok, next time i'll be sure to use the sarcasm emoticon.
It's okay, be sarcastic...but it is laughable that you think what Lee signed to was a paycut.

Old
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
No, it isn't. It's overrated. What do you expect Cally to say? "Nah, I'm really the captain of this team. Dru is old and on the decline and we don't really need his "leadership" anymore. We've moved on. The team now belongs to myself, Hank, Dubi, Staal, and Girardi, and even Stepan now." He's just saying the right thing. I wouldn't read anything into that in terms of reality. The reality is that Dru, leadership or not, doesn't really fill a role better than anyone else we have right now. I prefer Fedotenko to him as a 3rd/4th liner. It's been a while since Drury played. A lot of you seem to have forgotten how miserably bad he was for long stretches as a Ranger.

Or people who are IN the locker room, putting in the blood and sweat for the team, who know Drury personally, feel that he is an important part of the team and give him credit where they believe it is due and it just HAPPENS to not coincide with OUR view as fans who look only at cap hits and statistics on a paper/screen. But yeah, it's way more likely that Callahan and most of the Rangers just think Drury is a washed up bum and don't respect him as their captain and a veteran mentor. When he goes down and blocks a shot with his face or chest they're sitting on the bench thinking "Man, I hope that old ******* is injured and stays down... this is OUR team dammit" and definitely not "Wow, this is a guy who gives it %110".

See, unlike we fans, I highly doubt that Callahan looks at Drury's offensive production, looks at his cap hit, and says "Man, this guy is useless!!!".

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Future captain, perhaps.

Not set in stone, a lot could happen between now and the end of next year; A Drury contract extension, a Cally trade or let go, a Torts firing,

But If I had one guy on the roster to put my money on, it would be him.
I don't know why, but I feel like there is almost no chance Dubinsky ISN'T named captain. He just has that feel to him. The one that makes a good captain a great one.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:29 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I don't know why, but I feel like there is almost no chance Dubinsky ISN'T named captain. He just has that feel to him. The one that makes a good captain a great one.
I have to agree here. Just based on gut feeling. I would be absolutely ecstatic if when Drury's contract expired Staal and Cally kept the A's and Dubinksy got the C.

Old
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I can see Dubinsky getting it too, but I think we'll see Cally with the C and Dubinsky with an A.

At the risk of sounding cliche though, it doesn't matter who has a letter. Everyone on this team has been a leader in some way. It's great to see such attributes in a hockey team.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Those two,, to me, really represent the NY Rangers, present and future. I really hope they both get long, and by long I mean 5 years +, deals.

I wouldnt be opposed to a double captaincy, but I dont think that is Torts cup of tea.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Those two,, to me, really represent the NY Rangers, present and future. I really hope they both get long, and by long I mean 5 years +, deals.

Callahan should be a Ranger for the rest of his career, in my completely honest opinion.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

"The Rangers have taken on a new attitude this season; a new identity as some would call it. They are a gritty blue collar hockey club.... Is it a coincidence that their alternate captain has the exact same attitude? The exact same work ethic? You would be crazy to say it is. The team has assumed the attitude of Ryan Callahan and the coach"

No, that's all boogaard

That was a great article,I love Cali and sure hope he's locked up LONG term.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Or people who are IN the locker room, putting in the blood and sweat for the team, who know Drury personally, feel that he is an important part of the team and give him credit where they believe it is due and it just HAPPENS to not coincide with OUR view as fans who look only at cap hits and statistics on a paper/screen. But yeah, it's way more likely that Callahan and most of the Rangers just think Drury is a washed up bum and don't respect him as their captain and a veteran mentor. When he goes down and blocks a shot with his face or chest they're sitting on the bench thinking "Man, I hope that old ******* is injured and stays down... this is OUR team dammit" and definitely not "Wow, this is a guy who gives it %110".

See, unlike we fans, I highly doubt that Callahan looks at Drury's offensive production, looks at his cap hit, and says "Man, this guy is useless!!!".
First of all, I didn't say he was useless. I just said he no longer fills a role that we don't have younger, BETTER and more versatile replacements for. It's also funny that whenever the Dru discussion comes up and people defend him, the "salary aside" argument always comes up. If you have to use that argument, it means he has at least a somewhat negative value to the team. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying his salary and age and declining speed and skill outweigh the good so much that his overall value is negative. I am just saying that he's not all positive and there are some negatives to having him on the team, and thus we have a few guys who are better options as 3rd / 4th line players (I don't think it's very arguable that he belongs in the top 6 at this point)

Secondly, when have you ever heard a player (not to mention a leader like Callahan) badmouth a teammate (not to mention his friend and captain) and admit that he's washed up even if they know that he is? Be realistic. Cally was just saying the obvious right thing. He was giving the generic hockey player interview. Like I already said: reading into that is just silly.

Look, I respect Drury as a person from what I see and hear. I respect him as a hard-working blue-collar athlete. But he's on his way out of the league and I can't put "salary aside;" not in a hard salary cap era. He doesn't bring anything to the table that his replacement could bring. Yes, he's good at penalty killing and faceoffs. But even in these aspects of the game, his skills are not ground-breaking by any means. What happens if Dru comes back and wins only 48% of his faceoffs? Then we're keeping him in the lineup for penalty killing and to wear the C on his chest and speak softly? At a 7 million dollar hit that could be spent on Brad Richards or a legit top 4 D-man next year? I believe it's time to buy him out this offseason. The team has moved on. I truly believe, we're better without him. Not that he'd bring us down, but with the extra ~4-5 million in cap space and the 3rd or 4th line spot likely going to a bigger, stronger, younger player I think we have the potential to become a better team.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Of course he wouldn't. But what Callahan said has been echoes by basically everyone that's ever played with Drury throughout his career.
Yea, but you can say the same about Blair Betts or Jed Ortmeyer. I don't think anyone was questioning Drury's heart or work ethic or character, were they?

The point is he's not that good of a hockey player anymore. He's declined quite a bit from 5-6 years ago and the Rangers are ready to move on. They HAVE moved on. They've been playing mostly great hockey in his absence. They have new leaders. They are building a legitimate and well-defined identity (something that Drury was not able to garner or be a part of whatsoever in his Rangers career). If he didn't have a NMC, he very likely would have been traded this offseason, captaincy and all. I just see this team having a brighter future without him. The sooner we cut ties with the Drury captaincy era, the better.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
"I think we are similar types of players, but there is so much I can still learn from Dru,” explained Callahan, the 24-year-old right wing. “His experience; his preparation; his leadership. I am very fortunate to be able to spend so much time with him and be able to learn from him.”
What part of what Callahan said do you think is not genuine and just a standard hockey interview. I think Callahan means every word of that. These guys were paired together in the Olympics and Drury has probably been a mentor for Callahan since he arrived here. It's not like Callahan says "I think Drury is such a valuable offensive asset for this team!". Everything Callahan says rings true and anyone who wants to say "Meh, Callahan is just saying the right things" is only looking for reasons to discredit Drury. Your new responses have changed tune from your original one. Originally you claim that Callahan is not being genuine and only saying the right things. Now you claim that you're not questioning Drury's leadership, experience, preparation, or the kinds of things Callahan has/can learn from him, only that he has declined and is no longer valuable to the team. Your answer doesn't refute my original response which was that it's MUCH more likely Callahan genuinely meant what he said than that he was giving stock answers.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
What part of what Callahan said do you think is not genuine and just a standard hockey interview. I think Callahan means every word of that. These guys were paired together in the Olympics and Drury has probably been a mentor for Callahan since he arrived here. It's not like Callahan says "I think Drury is such a valuable offensive asset for this team!". Everything Callahan says rings true and anyone who wants to say "Meh, Callahan is just saying the right things" is only looking for reasons to discredit Drury. Your new responses have changed tune from your original one. Originally you claim that Callahan is not being genuine and only saying the right things. Now you claim that you're not questioning Drury's leadership, experience, preparation, or the kinds of things Callahan has/can learn from him, only that he has declined and is no longer valuable to the team. Your answer doesn't refute my original response which was that it's MUCH more likely Callahan genuinely meant what he said than that he was giving stock answers.
...really? that's what you want to argue over? whether or not callahan truly meant what he said?

Old
12-15-2010, 02:34 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Yea, but you can say the same about Blair Betts or Jed Ortmeyer. I don't think anyone was questioning Drury's heart or work ethic or character, were they?

The point is he's not that good of a hockey player anymore. He's declined quite a bit from 5-6 years ago and the Rangers are ready to move on. They HAVE moved on. They've been playing mostly great hockey in his absence. They have new leaders. They are building a legitimate and well-defined identity (something that Drury was not able to garner or be a part of whatsoever in his Rangers career). If he didn't have a NMC, he very likely would have been traded this offseason, captaincy and all. I just see this team having a brighter future without him. The sooner we cut ties with the Drury captaincy era, the better.
Bluenote quoted Callahan. Inferno said, "Yeah, but..." I responded. None of us were talking about Drury's skill. So...what? You're the one in this thread that brought Drury's skill into question. We WERE talking work ethic, heart and character.

Drury has been around the team since he was injured. He has been skating for weeks. He's in the locker room with the team during practices. Just because he's not playing, doesn't mean he's not there or part of the team. I have a seriously hard time believing that there's some sort of leadership dynamic that requires Drury continuing to not play to remain in effect. Callahan and Staal can still wear their A's and hit everything in sight and lead during the games. It's not going to just magically change.

He had a bad season last year. It happens. He's 34. On the old side, but not ancient. He's in great physical shape and has no previous history of serious injury. There's no reason he can't come back and chip in 25 points over these next 50 or so games, while killing penalties and actually winning some face-offs for us.

You guys can speculate all you want about this awful effect Drury's return will have and how it will hold back the development of the team...but it isn't happening. We'll just wait and see, I guess. I think you'll all be surprised. He has a lot left and will be an asset to the team.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:50 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I don't think it's very arguable that he belongs in the top 6 at this point.
When did he belong in the top six? He wasn't a top six player before he got here.

Quote:
Like I already said: reading into that is just silly.
About as silly as failing to give him credit for anything other than faceoffs and penalty killing.

Quote:
But he's on his way out of the league and I can't put "salary aside;" not in a hard salary cap era. He doesn't bring anything to the table that his replacement could bring. Yes, he's good at penalty killing and faceoffs. But even in these aspects of the game, his skills are not ground-breaking by any means.
Ground-breaking? No, but he's one of the league's best at both PKing and faceoffs. The real issue is that you're reducing his contributions to two qualities. Yes, those might be the areas where he excels the most at. That doesn't mean he's otherwise useless. In fact, I'd say that's hardly the case. How you determined he's on his way out of the league is beyond me. He's on his way out of the league the same way any 34-35 year old is on their way out of the league.

Quote:
What happens if Dru comes back and wins only 48% of his faceoffs? Then we're keeping him in the lineup for penalty killing and to wear the C on his chest and speak softly?
If that's all you think he does...

Quote:
the 3rd or 4th line spot likely going to a bigger, stronger, younger player I think we have the potential to become a better team.
Bigger...stronger...younger...how about smarter?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote