You guys gonna boo Dion?

Old
12-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Feel The Heat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
Why cheer at all?

I can never understand cheering a player or your own team. I understand liking or even strongly liking a player or team but why cheer them on?

Cheer because he lives up to a fan's expectations? Just impulsive, it doesn't actually affect the player's performance by how many people are watching the game from home or otherwise.
Cheer him because he is an adequate player who puts in effort?
Anyone would put in effort doing the thing you love for a living, and if you say otherwise you're full of it.

Cheer the team now. Why? They don't always win, and sometimes they show flashes of winning or making a comeback in a losing game but not always. Makes no sense. If you must cheer to make yourself feel better

Interesting, isn't it?
Not really making fun, but just saying, booing is the fans' way of pressuring the opposition. Calgary used to have one of the most hostile buildings just a few seasons ago, when the C of Red was going strong, and nowadays, you can actually HEAR Oilers chants when they play here.
And cheering is the rallying cry for the home team.... even if it doesn't help, it probably doesn't hurt, and that applies to booing too.

No harm in it, FTH. c:
You cheer your team to support your team through thick and thin.That is what you are there for. Well most people anyways.
Do you tell your child he sucks when he fails at something? No you try to encourage and support him to do better.
Not really the same thing but you get my drift.

Your rebuttal

As a former player, booing and taunts always motivated me not take me off my game.Ask Fleury he thriived on being hated. San Jose was a place he loved to play in.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:40 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
booing and taunts always motivated me
Booooooooo!

Wow, you're right; I do feel better!

This is a business of entertainment. For the same reasons we bring in posters, horns, chant and clap, play top-40 music in the background, fire cannons when a goal is scored, etc., is the same reason we boo and cheer. These hockey players aren't doctors or policeman, they're athletic clowns for our amusement. We boo stand-up comedians off stage, or give actors bad reviews, for the same reason we boo players that suck.

I wouldn't make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Booooooooo!

This is a business of entertainment. For the same reasons we bring in posters, horns, chant and clap, play top-40 music in the background, fire cannons when a goal is scored, etc., is the same reason we boo and cheer. These hockey players aren't doctors or policeman, they're athletic clowns for our amusement. We boo stand-up comedians off stage, or give actors bad reviews, for the same reason we boo players that suck.

When you boo or jeer an individual you motivate him. Not the same as posters, horns, chant and clap, play top-40 music in the background. Understand the diffrence?

I wouldn't make it any more complicated than it needs to be

Athletic clowns? This comment is joke. Makes you look like a clown.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:32 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
When you boo or jeer an individual you motivate him. Not the same as posters, horns, chant and clap, play top-40 music in the background. Understand the diffrence?
I wouldn't make it any more complicated than it needs to be
Athletic clowns? This comment is joke. Makes you look like a clown.
Wow, it really does motivate you!
A chant doesn't motivate a player, but a boo or jeer does? I think your out to lunch.
Typical power play:

"Let's go blah blah, let's go *clap, clap, clap*"

That chant is "suppose" to motivate the team, and that's only one chant of a traditional hockey chant. That little kipper-kid that pretends to play goalie in the stands could (arguable) motivate kipper to play better. There are thousands of examples, but I certainly don't understand your difference.

Clowns = Entertainers, and hockey players = entertainers, but hockey players don't equal clowns because hockey players are athletes that play a sport whereas clowns are just weird entertainers. The point is that a hockey player's role in society is to entertain, as are clowns, actors, singers, etc. They didn't want to be booed, then they should've joined the peace choir.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Wow, it really does motivate you!
A chant doesn't motivate a player, but a boo or jeer does? I think your out to lunch.
Typical power play:

"Let's go blah blah, let's go *clap, clap, clap*"

That chant is "suppose" to motivate the team, and that's only one chant of a traditional hockey chant. That little kipper-kid that pretends to play goalie in the stands could (arguable) motivate kipper to play better. There are thousands of examples, but I certainly don't understand your difference.

Clowns = Entertainers, and hockey players = entertainers, but hockey players don't equal clowns because hockey players are athletes that play a sport whereas clowns are just weird entertainers. The point is that a hockey player's role in society is to entertain, as are clowns, actors, singers, etc. They didn't want to be booed, then they should've joined the peace choir.
Where did I say a chant did not motivate a team? Booing an opposition player motivates a player. Booing a player on your own team does not.
When you get to school tomorrow ask your teacher for a little help on this subject.
You are entertaining me does that make you a clown.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
When you boo or jeer an individual you motivate him. Not the same as posters, horns, chant and clap, play top-40 music in the background.
Hockey players get motivated by their home crowd booing, and there's ample videos, and quotes to support that. Booing players on your own team can help them respond or reflect on why their getting booed. This has been implemented into hockey and all sports since...well, the beginning, so you better be prepared to argue a lot of people.

I don't go to school or get paid to entertain you (professionally entertain) and my role in society is not to entertain, but I'm happy to bring a smile to your face.

Listen, I don't want to get into it, but people have been booing their own for a LONG time for a reason!

Last edited by MarkGio: 12-15-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old
12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Hockey players get motivated by their home crowd booing, and there's ample videos, and quotes to support that. Booing players on your own team can help them respond or reflect on why their getting booed. This has been implemented into hockey and all sports since...well, the beginning, so you better be prepared to argue a lot of people.

I don't go to school or get paid to entertain you (professionally entertain) and my role in society is not to entertain, but I'm happy to bring a smile to your face.

Listen, I don't want to get into it, but people have been booing their own for a LONG time for a reason!
Booing your own team does not motivate them, explain one situation where the Flames were booed and got motivated. They are usually booed when playing like crap and they will continue to getting booed or not.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Feel The Heat

Quote:

http://rhlschool.com/reading.htm

Then go back and review our posts. maybe you will finally get it. I will check back with you tomorrow.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:17 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Booing your own team does not motivate them, explain one situation where the Flames were booed and got motivated. They are usually booed when playing like crap and they will continue to getting booed or not.
I've seen the Flames get booed at the end of the second period and come back in the third period and respond with a strong showing. Whether or not booing was the affect of it, I don't know and it's not testable, but fans do it because a response happens

Last edited by MarkGio: 12-15-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old
12-15-2010, 12:37 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
http://rhlschool.com/reading.htm

Then go back and review our posts. maybe you will finally get it. I will check back with you tomorrow.
Are you serious?

Quote:
"When you boo an individual you motivate him. Not the same as chant"
So, let's break this down for you because you're having trouble:

Quote:
Booing motivates. Not the same as chant
One can imply that in the context of motivation, booing has a different affect than chanting, in that booing motivates and chanting is different, thus inferring that chanting doesn't motivate because the response is either being motivated or not being motivated.

If you meant something else by this comment, then don't blame me because it's not my fault that you can't write.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:59 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Sportsnet had a poll on this tonight - "Should Dion Phaneuf be booed in his return to Calgary?"

Yes - 52%
No - 48%

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Are you serious?

So, let's break this down for you because you're having trouble:

One can imply that in the context of motivation, booing has a different affect than chanting, in that booing motivates and chanting is different, thus inferring that chanting doesn't motivate because the response is either being motivated or not being motivated.

If you meant something else by this comment, then don't blame me because it's not my fault that you can't write.

Let me keep this simple for you ok. I stated that Booing an opposing player will motivate him. Booing a single player on your own team does not. He may on the other hand want to punch you in the face.
As a former player I can assure you this is true. Example. Fleury thrived on beeing booed and hated in opposing rinks.
Booing your own team and cheering them to motivate and so on are two seperate discussions.

Side note
Dion wasn't cancer

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/myf.../16552206.html

Old
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Lunatik*

I wouldn't consider booing Dion... Ken King himself said Phaneuf was moved because he wanted to be the guy, he wanted the Flames to be his team but the Flames felt it wasn't time... I won't boo a player moved because he wanted a bigger role with the club

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
I still don't get why someone would want to boo Phaneuf. It's not like he demanded a trade, not like he was a ****** in the dressing room according to many published news articles. He was just on the wrong end of a questionable trade.

Besides, the Leafs are welcome to our sloppy seconds. Hey-o!

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:38 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I still don't get why someone would want to boo Phaneuf. It's not like he demanded a trade, not like he was a ****** in the dressing room according to many published news articles. He was just on the wrong end of a questionable trade.

There is an idea instead of booing, just chant sloppy seconds.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Grannys

Quote:
And what do you call what we got from the Leafs..?

"Sloppy second liners... at best"

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:10 PM
goodsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
And what do you call what we got from the Leafs..?

"Sloppy second liners... at best"
Wrong. Stajan: Ok, this year your right. He will step it up.

Hagman: Actually, what more could you ask from a guy that gets as much ice time as he does?

Babchuk (White): Has just as hard a shot as Dion, and also doesn't just watch the game in his own defensive zone.

Phaneuf, all he is known for is his heavy shot, and huge open ice hits, One goal (against edmonton ) and zero highlight reel hits this season makes me think that we are indeed the winners of this trade. Oh and I even forgot to mention that Phaneuf picks a fight with Nathan Horton, and gets dropped. NATHAN F**KING Horton!!!

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I think Phaneuf will likely get a warm reception to start the game, and as soon as the puck drops, he'll hear some boos and jeers as the game goes on.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:53 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

No, he'll get booed, and he'll get booed like crazy.

I doubt Stajan, Hagman, or White would hear one single boo in Toronto.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM
flames4life

Quote:
Booooooooo!

Haha, love it.

Booing your own team is kinda like your parents giving you **** when you screwed up. I have no problem with it.

As for booing Dion, I wouldn't do it. I understand why people would, they might feel he "wronged" us in some way. I don't think he did.

flames4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
flames4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
No, he'll get booed, and he'll get booed like crazy.

I doubt Stajan, Hagman, or White would hear one single boo in Toronto.
HAHA, a Toronto fan thinks he knows how Flames fans will act.

flames4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames4life View Post
HAHA, a Toronto fan thinks he knows how Flames fans will act.
HAHA, I live in Calgary and I hear the hate for Dion all the time.

Maybe if you lived in the city you'd have a bit of a clue. People here hate him.

He will get booed, no doubt about it.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Padlock

Quote:

Switch "questionable" with "horrible" and I agree with your post completely. I'll be there tomorrow, wearing my Phaneuf jersey and a "Fire Sutter" hat.

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
MarkGio

I understand Phaneuf doens't morally deserve to be booed, but there's no question he'll get some booing because for some people, it's fun to pick on the players. Who here can honestly say that they wouldn't love to be the guy that pissed off Rick Rypien and have been given a shake? If it was me, I would've have talked smack to Manny Malhotra to get him involved too. It's entertainment people! We can expect people to have fun at the games, because for Flames fans these days, watching games alone isn't that entertaining.

Let's look at this from another angle: referee's get booed and they don't morally deserve it, they're trying to do their job and its a hard job to do. Referee's don't get paid millions of dollars either, so they get crapped on for an honest days work. Who here can honestly say they've never booed a bad call? Those referee's are publically embarassed by viscous booing, and yet we have empathy for a millionaire (Dion Phaneuf) who chose to be in this business. These are professional athletes, they understand the business and they can take it, same as referee's understand that fans are usually fanatics.

Even look at it from another angle: being publically scrutinized on national sports shows by hockey analysts do more damage to a player's self esteem than any booing. Sports analysts have no problem blatanly telling a national audience that a player is playing poorly, and can`t skate... blah blah blah, which is no less cruel than 5 mins (if that) of booing.

Have a little fun and boo Phaneuf... but if it's not fun for you, then don't boo, but don`t make it out to be a social justice story because it's not.

Old
12-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
I understand Phaneuf doens't morally deserve to be booed, but there's no question he'll get some booing because for some people, it's fun to pick on the players. Who here can honestly say that they wouldn't love to be the guy that pissed off Rick Rypien and have been given a shake? If it was me, I would've have talked smack to Manny Malhotra to get him involved too. It's entertainment people! We can expect people to have fun at the games, because for Flames fans these days, watching games alone isn't that entertaining.

Let's look at this from another angle: referee's get booed and they don't morally deserve it, they're trying to do their job and its a hard job to do. Referee's don't get paid millions of dollars either, so they get crapped on for an honest days work. Who here can honestly say they've never booed a bad call? Those referee's are publically embarassed by viscous booing, and yet we have empathy for a millionaire (Dion Phaneuf) who chose to be in this business. These are professional athletes, they understand the business and they can take it, same as referee's understand that fans are usually fanatics.

Even look at it from another angle: being publically scrutinized on national sports shows by hockey analysts do more damage to a player's self esteem than any booing. Sports analysts have no problem blatanly telling a national audience that a player is playing poorly, and can`t skate... blah blah blah, which is no less cruel than 5 mins (if that) of booing.

Have a little fun and boo Phaneuf... but if it's not fun for you, then don't boo, but don`t make it out to be a social justice story because it's not.
The only one who seems to be concerned about that is you.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote