HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Armchair GM

Old
12-14-2010, 12:09 PM
MIDSHIPMAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
I agree he did a good job to rebuild but................

my special reason to fire him:

- He screwed up when star player ofered a discount to play here.
Now we have to hunt these guys and have to overpay
Who are you talking about? I know that Gaborik gave us the chance to MATCH the contract he was offered from NY but the length not the $ made DL say no. Kovalchuk never even told us he had a contract offer from NJ for 100+ million and definately didn't want our 15yr/80 million offer. Other than that - who was it? I don't think you know your facts.

He did a great job with our rebuild but he hasn't faltered yet. The Kings are a playoff team, they're on the rise. You don't fire your GM when things are good. If we miss the playoffs I don't think he gets fired. If we really tank the season - maybe but I doubt it. Not signing a UFA or making a huge trade does not get GM's fired when their team is winning and they're having sellouts. You also don't fire your GM because your teams PP sucks. We're 17-10-1. Better than last year at this same time. What's the problem? You want a big name winger for Kopi, I get it. I'd like one too, but who? I made my list. Teams just aren't dealing right now. Ottawa has been trying to make a trade since October and hasn't done anything - because no one is looking to make changes yet. Every single team in the West has a shot at the playoffs right now. The worst teams (Calgary and Edmonton who both WILL NOT make it) are only 6 and 8 points back respectively which isn't that far. A win streak of 5 or 6 games puts them right back in the hunt.

It's easy to say - trade for Iginla or whoever but it's not that easy for DL. You're starting to sound like the fans that wanted Kovalchuk no matter what.

Let me break this down for you.

We have the best goaltending since Kelly Hrudey and Daniel Berthiaume both had 20 wins in 1990/91 - that's 20 years ago and only lasted for that year - so you could argue that we have better goaltending right now than Glenn Healy and Mark Fitzpatrick (that was supposed to be our future in the late 80's - ha!). Than EVER. Then you add in Zatkoff and Jones (I'm very high on Jones). WOW!

Our D is deeper than it's ever been. The early 90's teams had some great D too but not the prospects we have now. They were deep when Rob Blake, Darryl Sydor and Brent 'muppet face' Thompson were coming up. That also - 20 years ago. I'll take our D any day when you add in Martinez, Muzzin, Hickey, Teubert, Forbort.

Fowards - we've had great, great forwards and this team doesn't compare. But what is the arguement? That the LAPD line was great? How long ago was that and can you name anyone on the 2nd or 3rd lines from back then besides Smoke or Lappy? Gretzky era? Dionne era? Back in the late Gretzky era and into the LAPD line stuff we didn't have ***** for prospects. Pavel Rosa, Justin Papeneau are two that come to mind for me. Matt Zultek or Donald MacLean? Come on now. Our farm system in Phoenix was *****.

DL isn't going to get fired anytime soon. We haven't looked this good in over 20 years. Our prospect depth hasn't EVER been this good.

MIDSHIPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDSHIPMAN View Post
Who are you talking about? I know that Gaborik gave us the chance to MATCH the contract he was offered from NY but the length not the $ made DL say no. Kovalchuk never even told us he had a contract offer from NJ for 100+ million and definately didn't want our 15yr/80 million offer. Other than that - who was it? I don't think you know your facts.

He did a great job with our rebuild but he hasn't faltered yet. The Kings are a playoff team, they're on the rise. You don't fire your GM when things are good. If we miss the playoffs I don't think he gets fired. If we really tank the season - maybe but I doubt it. Not signing a UFA or making a huge trade does not get GM's fired when their team is winning and they're having sellouts. You also don't fire your GM because your teams PP sucks. We're 17-10-1. Better than last year at this same time. What's the problem? You want a big name winger for Kopi, I get it. I'd like one too, but who? I made my list. Teams just aren't dealing right now. Ottawa has been trying to make a trade since October and hasn't done anything - because no one is looking to make changes yet. Every single team in the West has a shot at the playoffs right now. The worst teams (Calgary and Edmonton who both WILL NOT make it) are only 6 and 8 points back respectively which isn't that far. A win streak of 5 or 6 games puts them right back in the hunt.

It's easy to say - trade for Iginla or whoever but it's not that easy for DL. You're starting to sound like the fans that wanted Kovalchuk no matter what.

We have the best goaltending since Kelly Hrudey and Daniel Berthiaume both had 20 wins in 1990/91 - that's 20 years ago and only lasted for that year - so you could argue that we have better goaltending right now than Glenn Healy and Mark Fitzpatrick (that was supposed to be our future in the late 80's - ha!). Than EVER. Then you add in Zatkoff and Jones (I'm very high on Jones). WOW!

Our D is deeper than it's ever been. The early 90's teams had some great D too but not the prospects we have now. They were deep when Rob Blake, Darryl Sydor and Brent 'muppet face' Thompson were coming up. That also - 20 years ago. I'll take our D any day when you add in Martinez, Muzzin, Hickey, Teubert, Forbort.

Fowards - we've had great, great forwards and this team doesn't compare. But what is the arguement? That the LAPD line was great? How long ago was that and can you name anyone on the 2nd or 3rd lines from back then besides Smoke or Lappy? Gretzky era? Dionne era? Back in the late Gretzky era and into the LAPD line stuff we didn't have ***** for prospects. Pavel Rosa, Justin Papeneau are two that come to mind for me. Matt Zultek or Donald MacLean? Come on now. Our farm system in Phoenix was *****.

DL isn't going to get fired anytime soon. We haven't looked this good in over 20 years. Our prospect depth hasn't EVER been this good

A) Please add Heatley to the list. He wanted to be here badly.
And please ad Cammy and Frolov to that List. What's worse than not getting a star player is scaring a couple out of town.

B) Thanks for sharing these facts with me.........
Just one question....... how many cups did we win again ????????????????????????
Are we a real contender after almost 6 years ??????

Like i said. Lombardi did a great job to rebuild a team.
Right now a monkey could coach us to the playoff. But what to do now ????????
You need talent to win the cup and Lombardi isn't the right guy to brin in the missing pieces. Since 5 years he fails to really improve. And i'm not talking to imrove from 0.
I'm talking about real improving.
A lot of the people praises him as the new coming of Ken Holland....... but you guys forget something, we started at 0. It is really easy to improve from here.
Alone the idea to keep Murray and Kompon around and telling us they are really good for the team is a slap into the face of every ticket buying fan.

The final thing what happend to me to switch from Lombardi supporter to Lombardi hater was my favorite prospects Purcell and Boyle ...............................

serious......... to trade Purcell away for an 34 year old bum and give a pick on top made me puking. Not to mention Boyle who really showed real flashes of talent against the Coyotes ..........
All that mixed with the missing opportunities of Heatley, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Hossa
Cammy and Frolov makes me think he isn't the right guy.
His is exactly doing what he is telling us...... we did the little things right.
But how many Cups do you win with doing the little things right ????

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:33 PM
BamBam1031

Quote:

DL isn't going to get fired anytime soon. We haven't looked this good in over 20 years. Our prospect depth hasn't EVER been this good.
Wow, I actually remember most of that. Now I feel old.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Actually I am be held hostage by terrorists and they are forcing me to view this thread as a means of torture. Quite effective.

Look you have been so wrong on so much in the past. Why don't you just have a little patience? The Kings are not winning the cup this season with any quick fixes. Stoll has been good, Smyth is fine in his current role THIS season.

To be honest if I was GM I play it tight to the vest this year keeping my eyes and ears open to all possibilities. When the summer arrives I could see asking Smyth to waive his NTC if I can sign Brad Richards or find a way to get my hands on Parise.
what do you mean............. i always said we are not winning the cup with this GM and coaching staff.

And for the patience stuff.......... it doesn't matter i or you or anyone else have patience as long as the players lose it. How long do you think will Kopitar accept the mess on his line ?????

Old
12-15-2010, 06:01 AM
northernKing

Quote:

I agree with most of what you have said but we did have some elite prospects in Jokinen and Scott Barney and even Matt Zultek had alot of upside in junior. Yes the Jeff Shevaliers and Justin Papineaus didn't make it, but I have talked to more than one friend back east that see ALOT of Shevalier type play in guys like Toffoli.
LA looked to have a true power forward in the making in one of Kevin Brown, Jim Hiller or Barney. None panned out but Barney was due mostly to injury.

Rosa, Bob Wrenn, Justin Hocking, Guy Levesque, Yanick Lehoux the list goes on! Thats is why I really want LA to package some of these young ASSETS for proven talent now that the team is ready to compete. I would move anyone except Schenn, Loktionov,Bernier and Forbort. Also Toffoli because his value isn't as high as his potential.

Heck I would even move Schenn, Bernier, Hickey and our 1st rd pick in 2011 if it meant getting an elite talent like Parise.

As a Kings fan you must realize that more of our so called blue chip prospects are gonna be busts than actual everyday NHLers. Something always seems to go wrong.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 06:46 AM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I agree with most of what you have said but we did have some elite prospects in Jokinen and Scott Barney and even Matt Zultek had alot of upside in junior. Yes the Jeff Shevaliers and Justin Papineaus didn't make it, but I have talked to more than one friend back east that see ALOT of Shevalier type play in guys like Toffoli.
LA looked to have a true power forward in the making in one of Kevin Brown, Jim Hiller or Barney. None panned out but Barney was due mostly to injury.

Rosa, Bob Wrenn, Justin Hocking, Guy Levesque, Yanick Lehoux the list goes on! Thats is why I really want LA to package some of these young ASSETS for proven talent now that the team is ready to compete. I would move anyone except Schenn, Loktionov,Bernier and Forbort. Also Toffoli because his value isn't as high as his potential.

Heck I would even move Schenn, Bernier, Hickey and our 1st rd pick in 2011 if it meant getting an elite talent like Parise.

As a Kings fan you must realize that more of our so called blue chip prospects are gonna be busts than actual everyday NHLers. Something always seems to go wrong.
I really liked barney and remember when he suited up for the kings for a little bit. had skill wish i could have seen him injury free

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:33 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
I really liked barney and remember when he suited up for the kings for a little bit. had skill wish i could have seen him injury free
Ya I saw a few of his junior games on tv and he looked REAL good.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

KINGS17,

Finally starting to realize what a mistake the Smyth trade was?

It's not as simple as you say it is, what makes you think Smyth will waive his NTC and even if he does, what team is going to invest $6 mill in cap space on Ryan Smyth?

The Islanders maybe to get to the cap floor, good luck getting Smyth to waive his NTC to go there.

Like I've been saying since we acquired him, Smyth and his awful contract are going to prevent the Kings from adding a key forward until he is gone after the 2012 season. All excess cap space this summer will be spent on securing the younger players like Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds. In July 2012 when this albatross is finally gone we can use the $6 mill in cap space and hopefully use it towards someone who is actually a $6 mill player.

The problem with this is, almost all the elite players in the NHL are signed long term.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Jungle Boy

You guys should stop complaining, there is a lot of nonsense in this thread.
Heatley never wanted to come to LA it was San Jose or the Rangers.
Stop talking about Kovalchuk, New Jersey cheated. They lost a first round pick because of it.
take a look at chicago, 2 bad contracts made then trade half a sc team, and compare campbell and byuflugien stats and salary hit right now.

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:47 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Like I've been saying since we acquired him, Smyth and his awful contract are going to prevent the Kings from adding a key forward until he is gone after the 2012 season.

The problem with this is, almost all the elite players in the NHL are signed long term.
... which is why Dean went after a guy like Smyth. And round in circles we go.

Contract aside Smyth has helped the Kings win a lot of hockey games.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Tony,

I am missing your point, are you saying DL went after Smyth because there was no one else to trade for or sign?

I'm not singling you out because I am not sure of your previous opinion, but so many people argued that Dean did not trade for Smyth in desperation because everyone else was gone.

The fact remains, in a cap era, you need to spend your money wisely. It is realistic to expect a team to have about three elite players making upwards of 6 million. The Kings will have two elite players making 6+ next season in Kopitar and Doughty and then Ryan Smyth as the 3rd guy. Until his contract is gone the Kings are going to have a hard time adding another scoring forward such as Richards or Semin.

And it's not like this contract can be buried in Manchester (Redden/Souray) or traded, he has both a no-trade and no-movement clause.

Old
12-15-2010, 10:38 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Tony,

I am missing your point, are you saying DL went after Smyth because there was no one else to trade for or sign?

I'm not singling you out because I am not sure of your previous opinion, but so many people argued that Dean did not trade for Smyth in desperation because everyone else was gone.

The fact remains, in a cap era, you need to spend your money wisely. It is realistic to expect a team to have about three elite players making upwards of 6 million. The Kings will have two elite players making 6+ next season in Kopitar and Doughty and then Ryan Smyth as the 3rd guy. Until his contract is gone the Kings are going to have a hard time adding another scoring forward such as Richards or Semin.

And it's not like this contract can be buried in Manchester (Redden/Souray) or traded, he has both a no-trade and no-movement clause.
No movement clause. Maybe LA can move the Ontario reign to LA for a year? LOL! Ya the Smyth deal is going to hurt LA but IMO they will be able to sign DD JJ and Simmonds AND still add a scorer as an UFA if need be. Williams will/should be signed too, but guys like Handzus are questionable. I'd love to keep him on a one yr deal at $2-2.5M but he may get a better offer. Also Stoll will likely be moved if cap room is needed especially if LA brings in another center like Richards.

Old
12-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Jungle Boy

Smyth cap hit didnīt hurt us until now, maybe next year. But he has been such a good influence for the team, that i can live with it.
and I see the possibility of sending him + one of the d prospects to the oilers for Penner in the offseason.

Edmonton has Hall, Pajarvi, Penner, Hemskey, Eberle and Omark in the wings. We could send Smyth + Voynov + 3rd rounder for Penner + 5th. Smyth would be back with the team that drafted him helping develop those young wingers.

Jungle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

The problem is, if you sign Richards to say a 4-5 year deal, what happens with Schenn and Loktionov? I think the Kings have set things up for Schenn to be the #2 center for a really long time. if you sign Richards what do you do with Schenn.

It's unfortunate the Kings have Smyth's contract for next year, they could have used the cap space to win the bidding war for Semin or hell, even throw an offer sheet at Parise, the Kings would be so good the picks would be late anyways. Either one of those two guys would look dynamic for the next 5-10 years on Kopitar's line.

I guess Richards on the wing could be an option but he is a natural pivot, some guys don't adjust to the move.

Old
12-15-2010, 11:09 AM
northernKing

Quote:
The problem is, if you sign Richards to say a 4-5 year deal, what happens with Schenn and Loktionov? I think the Kings have set things up for Schenn to be the #2 center for a really long time. if you sign Richards what do you do with Schenn.

It's unfortunate the Kings have Smyth's contract for next year, they could have used the cap space to win the bidding war for Semin or hell, even throw an offer sheet at Parise, the Kings would be so good the picks would be late anyways. Either one of those two guys would look dynamic for the next 5-10 years on Kopitar's line.

I guess Richards on the wing could be an option but he is a natural pivot, some guys don't adjust to the move.
True but Schenn could easily be a solid 3rd line center like Staal in PITT. I'm not sold on his natural offensive potential but he is a very smart two way player with an edge to his game. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend the majority of time in the AHL next season. Loktionov will play most of the season there this year and will probably be the 2nd line center if no one else is brought in. Plus he's a smaller cap hit.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:32 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Weren't the Kings ready to have Kovalchuk at a $6+ million cap hit, already having Kopitar and Smyth on the hook, and knowing they were going to have to pay not only Doughty, but Johnson, Simmonds, and Bernier too?

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Ollie Weeks

Slotting in somebody like Richards next year is doable, although we'd be right up against the cap in doing so. I have no problem handing over the 3rd line to Schenn in the meantime.

I acknowledge that Smyth's money is hindering us a bit, but I still like his presence on our team, I appreciate that he waived to come here for us and the fact remains that we're still a pretty damn good hockey team with him "holding us back".

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
KINGS17,

It's not as simple as you say it is, what makes you think Smyth will waive his NTC and even if he does, what team is going to invest $6 mill in cap space on Ryan Smyth?

The Islanders maybe to get to the cap floor, good luck getting Smyth to waive his NTC to go there.

Like I've been saying since we acquired him, Smyth and his awful contract are going to prevent the Kings from adding a key forward until he is gone after the 2012 season. All excess cap space this summer will be spent on securing the younger players like Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds. In July 2012 when this albatross is finally gone we can use the $6 mill in cap space and hopefully use it towards someone who is actually a $6 mill player.

I'm pretty sure 60 games of press box at the end of a carreer will make up his mind.
I'm afraid we are getting a second Rob Blake situation here.

Why anyone would trade for a 34 year old 6 mill $ guy when a way better 28 year old 1st liner who is already here is asking for 5 Mill $ is way beyong me.

I'm not that mad with missing great chances... sure this is bad enough....
what really drives me crazy is that we had the missing pieces and made them walk away or gave them away for almost nothing.......
I'm watching this crap now for 20 years and have to listen to that "have patience" stuff.
I really don't care anymore about minor improvements.... i wan t a contender and when a GM isn't able to make us one bring on the next. Same for the coaching staff.
Kompon is failing now for 5 years... a real Gm would accept that 1 year at most before giving him a dealine to fix this.

I'm really done with "he was trying" a want a maker. All of us could try.
What is see in near fututre is the 90's attitude coming back.
A team that is just appearing to the games but don't care anymore.
That leads to the players leaving the sinking ship as soon as they can.

How long do you think will Kopitar and Brown accept the 1st line mess ????
How long do you think will Johnson accept questioning his 1st line talent ????
How long do you think will the young guys accept not to be in the team while players like Westgarth or Zeiler gets the job presented on a silver plate ????
How long will the talented guys accept the Murray anti-hockey style ??????

I'm serious concerned right now despite of the winning. To be honest.... after Doughtys, Johnsons, Richardsons, Simmonds, Martinez new contract with the addition of Smyth salary we are out of any race to sign the 1st line talent we need.
The ususal stuff will come back from the 90's. We get presented the Rasmussens and Randy Robbitailes for solution and finally we are on the right track.

I'm just tired of this

Old
12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
You guys should stop complaining, there is a lot of nonsense in this thread.Heatley never wanted to come to LA it was San Jose or the Rangers.
Stop talking about Kovalchuk, New Jersey cheated. They lost a first round pick because of it.
take a look at chicago, 2 bad contracts made then trade half a sc team, and compare campbell and byuflugien stats and salary hit right now.
I think you missed the press conference where the staff brought up this rediculous
"that and that raises red flags"
The Kings were on top of Heatleys list. It was our Management who decided not to offer him a contract. That left him Rangers or Sharks.

For the complaining........ how long do you follow the Kings ???????

If you are old enough you would remember the Robbitaile, Blake, Schneider, Coffey, Gretzky, Kurri
issues we had.
These players were just tired of the failing staff and GM. They forced us to a trade or just walked away. These were our "core"players like Doughty or Kopitar you guys love so much.
I guarentee you....... if Lombardi keeps on going like that and Murray is around more than 1 year
the first cluster of players will start to complain. The first single players showed us already the dirty finger. Just remember Cammy and Folov.......
You have to see it from players eyes........ you lose guys like that and the management brings in guys like Pony, Smyth or Sturm.......... i really doubt you will be happy. And if you have to listen to crap like "we did the little things right" for years you will be happy to reach the UFA age and just walk away to a professional team where is just one reason to play.......... the cup.

Last edited by Kurrilino: 12-15-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old
12-15-2010, 03:27 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

The most effective way to add top end talent is to draft and develop it. That is what Lombardi is doing.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:35 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
The most effective way to add top end talent is to draft and develop it. That is what Lombardi is doing.
I agree. Of the top 30 NHL scorers this season 22 are still with the team that drafted them, 6 were traded to the team they are on and two signed as FA with their current team. That being said once you have a solid AND YOUNG core its time to start packaging picks and prospects for immediate help.

Old
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
I guarentee you....... if Lombardi keeps on going like that and Murray is around more than 1 year
the first cluster of players will start to complain. The first single players showed us already the dirty finger. Just remember Cammy and Folov.......
You have to see it from players eyes........ you lose guys like that and the management brings in guys like Pony, Smyth or Sturm.......... i really doubt you will be happy.
Interesting way of looking at it. They've gotten better each year, there seems to be no dissension on the team, the Kings were even a popular pick going into this season without Kovalchuk(or Cammalleri or Frolov), currently have a 17-10-1 record, and are one of the best goals against teams so far, but apparently it's all falling apart.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
KINGS17,

The Smyth trade was not a mistake. Kopitar needed some guidance and a decent LW and he got that in spades with Smyth. I wasn't thinking the Island and I am not even sure Dean wants to move him in the off season, but I bet the destination would be Edmonton where he would fill the exact same role as he did when he joined the Kings.

Dean would not be getting much in return, but that wouldn't matter much since we gave up very little to get Smyth for a couple of years.

The way Doughty is playing I am not too sure I am worried about signing him to a long term, high cap hit deal. Lombardi might very well send a message by only offering a couple of years.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
what do you mean............. i always said we are not winning the cup with this GM and coaching staff.

And for the patience stuff.......... it doesn't matter i or you or anyone else have patience as long as the players lose it. How long do you think will Kopitar accept the mess on his line ?????
Like I said, you are pretty much always wrong and that makes me feel good about the future.

What players are losing patience exactly? Let's see what kind of deals Doughty, Johnson, and Simmonds get before you jump to any conclusions. You don't think Kopitar was pretty happy last season to have Smyth and Williams? Wow! You are dead wrong is all I can say. This year the organization is asking Kopitar to carry more of the load on his own and rightfully so.

Essentially you are unhappy because the Kings do not have a high-powered offense, when it is proven that the style they are playing now wins games in the regular season and more importantly in the playoffs. The Kings could use another playmaker (that's right playmaker) on Kopi's wing because he actually is a better trigger man than he is a passer (not that he isn't a good passer).

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Illiterate babble

Your opinions are groundless, baseless, and riddled with logical errors. That isn't even the worst of it. You're unreadable. You've got to learn some basic English.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote