HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltender

Old
12-15-2010, 03:05 PM
MillerTime2181

vCash: 500
Goaltender

I had a question regarding Nashville's goaltending. Who is considered the starter or is it more of a tandem situation? Pekka Rinne seems to be a real good goalie, but Anders Lindback appears to be legit as well. Is it the system or are both of them legit? And if so who is more likely to stick with the team and will the other be trade bait. Also can anyone provide any info on Lindback? Seems he came out of nowhere and is playing great.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
I had a question regarding Nashville's goaltending. Who is considered the starter or is it more of a tandem situation? Pekka Rinne seems to be a real good goalie, but Anders Lindback appears to be legit as well. Is it the system or are both of them legit? And if so who is more likely to stick with the team and will the other be trade bait. Also can anyone provide any info on Lindback? Seems he came out of nowhere and is playing great.
Its tough to tell right now. Before Rinne's injury he was the clear cut #1, but the way Lindback is playing right now its tough to imagine him not getting more games. I would guess we will see a 75-25 split until something changes.
Lindback sort of snuck up on us too. We all knew he was going to be a decent goalie, but the rate at which he reached his potential was reached was a shock to everyone, though he still has some more room to grow.
As far as trade bait, I think we keep both, but could see a situation where Rinne gets dealt for some scoring, making Lindback the starter and Dekanich the back-up. This still seems unlikely though.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Its tough to tell right now. Before Rinne's injury he was the clear cut #1, but the way Lindback is playing right now its tough to imagine him not getting more games. I would guess we will see a 75-25 split until something changes.
Lindback sort of snuck up on us too. We all knew he was going to be a decent goalie, but the rate at which he reached his potential was reached was a shock to everyone, though he still has some more room to grow.
As far as trade bait, I think we keep both, but could see a situation where Rinne gets dealt for some scoring, making Lindback the starter and Dekanich the back-up. This still seems unlikely though.
Trade Dex for a mid round pick, keep the other two.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:18 PM
MillerTime2181

Thanks....yeah you guys have a good history of developing quality goaltenders. Is it more of a system thing? I only ask because some goalies have left and have not had the same success, but then you have others who have played just as good. In addition, can anyone explain the similarities and differences in each of Lindback's and Rinne's games? Compare/contrast? Thanks again I don't get to see too much of the Predators.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Let's keep things in perspective. Yes Lindback has back to back shutouts, but it was against the Panthers and the Islanders. I'm not ready to declare goalie controversy just yet.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Thanks....yeah you guys have a good history of developing quality goaltenders. Is it more of a system thing? I only ask because some goalies have left and have not had the same success, but then you have others who have played just as good. In addition, can anyone explain the similarities and differences in each of Lindback's and Rinne's games? Compare/contrast? Thanks again I don't get to see too much of the Predators.
I am going to default to Gopreds9 on this one. I am sure he has more insight than I could provide.

All I will say is Mitch Korn is probably one of the best goalie coaches in recent memory. I've heard amazing things about him up here in the Miami Ohio program. Mitch has been known to visit and provide instruction for our goaltenders.

Old
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Let's keep things in perspective. Yes Lindback has back to back shutouts, but it was against the Panthers and the Islanders. I'm not ready to declare goalie controversy just yet.
neither am I

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
I'd hardly call 75-25 a controversy. I said lets see how things go once Rinne gets back.

Old
12-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Its a combination of a few things. First off, Mitch Korn is an absolute genius. I've had the incredible chance to work with him personally, and he plain and simple understands the game and how to play it. He is the reason Hasek was so good in Buffalo.

Second, its the system. We play some great team defense and clear away rebounds and other dangerous chances with the best of them. So our goalies all look very good.

In fairness to someone like Ellis, Tampa Bay has NO defense. He's just in an awful situation there (no making excuses, just defending him a little.

Old
12-15-2010, 03:34 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Mason hasn't done too bad for himself over his career. He's still sitting at a 2.61 GAA and .912 SV% after 267 games. When Vokoun's trade was forced Mason was still a back up, though he had played a string of pretty good games (21 in a row if memory serves). He didn't light things up in STL, but he was respectable.

Ellis simply played above his potential at times, most notably during his play off series against the Wings. He has always been a 1B at best, but most useful as a solid back up. Nothing more, nothing less. (edit: as gopreds9 said above me, TB also has a pitiful defense.)

Vokoun was forced out during the sale fiasco, but he hasn't missed a step in Florida.

As for Rinne and Lindback, I believe a lot of it has to do with scouting and Mitch Korn. Both of these kids were plucked seemingly out of no where, as Lindback was found in the seventh round and Rinne in the eighth.

I don't doubt that our team system does help our goaltenders overall, but I also think that the way our team develops these guys makes the most difference. Watch some of our games. These two guys can make some incredibly impressive saves out of sheer instinct and athleticism, but they are also good positionally. Anders has a ways to go to catch up to Rinne in that regard, but he still isn't bad.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Exalted User

Quote:
"A huge goaltender with very good mobility and reflexes. Good stickhandling. Some consistency issues, but overall a very interesting prospect. A hybrid, that combines the butterfly with the old and traditional goaltending style." - Eliteprospects.

About sums it up. never seen Rinne play so can't coment.

EDIT: Might be interesting to know that Lindbäck an Jacob Markström both had Pekka Alcén as their goalie coach. Lindbäck had a breakout year as Markströms backup and was signed by Timrå for last season.

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 05:27 PM
WartracePred

No controversy here. Rinne is the starter when he recovers from his injury. Lindy has looked good, but we've played terrible teams lately. The Preds play very good defense and will protect young, inexperienced netminders. Rinne has proven himself time and time again in big games. Lindback has not - not yet anyway.

Now I will say that if Rinne struggles, Trotz will not hesitate to give Lindback a shot. But that hasn't happened since Pekks was recognized as the clear frontrunner.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:10 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Trade Dex for a mid round pick, keep the other two.
Do you realize that Jeremy Smith and Chet Pickard aren't ready for the NHL? Pickard has struggled in the AHL during 2010. That leaves the Preds with no viable #3 goalie in case Pekka or Anders gets hurt in the future. Is there another Lindback type hiding in Europe that has signed with the Preds?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Do you realize that Jeremy Smith and Chet Pickard aren't ready for the NHL? Pickard has struggled in the AHL during 2010. That leaves the Preds with no viable #3 goalie in case Pekka or Anders gets hurt in the future. Is there another Lindback type hiding in Europe that has signed with the Preds?
sign nabakov... he can't be worth much anymore!

Old
12-16-2010, 08:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Actually, yes. We signed Atte Engren over the summer.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:52 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Pppht, Engren is only 6'1", what a midget.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
No controversy here. Rinne is the starter when he recovers from his injury. Lindy has looked good, but we've played terrible teams lately. The Preds play very good defense and will protect young, inexperienced netminders. Rinne has proven himself time and time again in big games. Lindback has not - not yet anyway.
Reminds me of the Chris Mason debate back in 07. Was he really as good as he looked and as his numbers showed, or was it a product of playing a stretch of inferior teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Pppht, Engren is only 6'1", what a midget.
The Preds keep signing all of these smurfs!

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 04:22 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Reminds me of the Chris Mason debate back in 07. Was he really as good as he looked and as his numbers showed, or was it a product of playing a stretch of inferior teams?

The Preds keep signing all of these smurfs!
the islanders suck, but lindabcks only poor showing was vs anaheim if i remember right. he has beaten chicago, detroit, san jose among other. not shabby. give the kid his due, but pekka should be the starter. if anything, this allows pekka to not play as much in jan and feb before we ride him like a predamule in march

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Thanks, Neck! That name does sound vaguely familiar. What do you know about him?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Thanks, Neck! That name does sound vaguely familiar. What do you know about him?
"Engren is a much more athletic goalie, very quick, relies on quickness,” Predators goaltending coach Mitch Korn said in the summer of 2009. “Not the biggest guy in the world, but probably the most athletic-playing of the (Nashville prospects)."

Korn described what Engren needs to work on. "It's keeping his game under control. Using that athletic ability when it's needed, and not when it's not needed."

From Hockey's Future.

Old
12-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Nash is always stacked in nets

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
braindead

My take (and I'm no goalie expert):

Rinne is the #1 and is strongest on rebound control and positioning.

Lindback looks to me like he has an excellent (world class?) glove hand, which I think Rinne lacks. Rinne tends to get beat, when he gets beat, on elite glove side high shots but early indications are that Lindback does not. Lindback trails on rebound control and positioning as noted above.

Both excel at filling the net and covering the bottom with huge pads/long legs. They both can cover post to post (such as on a wrap around) essentially without moving. It's crazy.

Here is the hard part for me: Lindback looks like he tracks the puck better and battles more than Rinne to keep it out. Sort of the way Price is playing for the Habs this year if I had to come up with a comparison. Is it my imagination that he is better in this area than Rinne? Seems like a really subjective thing to judge so I'm not sure.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Rinne has the faster glove hand and better rebound control. Lindback seems more aggressive and more willing to commit early and make the big challenge. One hell of a duo for a team on a tight budget and amazing finds in the late rounds.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:37 PM
glenngineer

When Rinne is on his game, he is catching the puck in front of his body. I have rarely seen a goalie catch the puck so far out in front of his body. Hard enough to get the glove up in position to catch the puck but to get it out in front of the body like he does is truly amazing. That's when he's in a groove and at his best. Rinne has a weakness and it's over his shoulders, especially stick side. I noticed Chicago going after that last season. When he drops to his knees he leaves that open and if you've got skilled shooters they can hit the top shelf on him.

Lindback, for a young goalie, does not lose his composure easily. He's given up a few softies early in games yet keeps his head about him and battles back like nothing happened. That's a great trait to have as a goalie. Once the puck has gone in you have to move and be ready for the next shot and he appears to do that pretty well.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:55 PM
braindead

Interesting... 2 votes for Rinne with the better glove.

I agree on both Lindback being more aggressive and seeming to be unflappable. Anyone recall the pre-season game (1st or 2nd start I think) where he skated out nearly to the blue line to swipe away a puck before a break-away? I was convinced that move and the confidence it demonstrated helped him win the backup spot.

On the unflappable front, the Costco/Sam's Club shopping trip that they showed the other night made him look like a big, relaxed goof.

One thing not mentioned on Rinne is the number of goals that have crept into little spots on his torso when hugging the post on sharp angle shots. I think it's a fluke but he has had a few bad ones this year.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote