HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best feeling in Hockey

Old
12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Best feeling in Hockey

Scoring against your former team-mates!

The ones who would offer me a roster spot this season...

I was high along the boards, kicked the puck a couple of times, ended up around the hash marks, found a clearing passed the puck and put it right on the tape to my center and he scored!

That's (nearly) the best feeling in the world.

I always had to play defense for these lousy-average teams I played on for so many years. Never really got to get involved in the offense much, and so far this season I have 5 points in 7 games(really could have closer to 8). Never considered myself a ringer and I play on the 3rd line, but this is definitely the best team I have ever played on!

Sorry for the gloating, just feels good to stick it to 'em!

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Forget that. I just love scoring.

I don't really even find happiness in winning games, I just hate losing them. Although, being part of a championship team is very fun and I enjoyed that.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Getting back on the ice after being off it for a while. Whether coming back from injury, or just not being able to play. Once you step back on that ice it just feels great. You want that game to start right away.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Islander102

Well there is getting on the ice for the first time of the season. Nothing beats it.

As for in game, I always loved a late game tying goal. For whatever reason those always get so much more emotion out of me than the go ahead goal. If I score a go ahead goal late it almost feels relieving. A tying goal, with the stress of being down late, and the momentum youre trying to build, nothing gets me more pumped than tying up a game in the third. Anyone else agree?

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Stick To Your Guns

Scoring the game tying goal forcing overtime back in when I was 14 and 17. Getting a massive open ice hit on a player bigger than you.

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Just skating... then that gets boring about 5min in then all I wanna do is shoot a puck either against the boards or in the net. Then playing the absolute hardest possible and scoring feels pretty damn awesome too.

Good thread! Wanna play again...

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:34 AM
SouthpawTRK

I would say the best feeling in hockey for me happened this past weekend. I got to lace 'em up with my team mates and we got to play at The Tank for one of our regulation games.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:43 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Any late goal that ties a game or wins it, whether I score or set it up, feels awesome. Also, great defensive plays feel good when your teammates notice them.

My favorite is definitely burning a player that's been trash talking all game for a goal, though. Good job, beer league all-star.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Halifaxhab

Playing in a military tournament, in a final against my Regiment's biggest (friendly)rival and scoring a tying goal with 1sec left and then scoring in the 3OT...that was the greatest night, and after party EVER!! It's been 15 years but I still get to rub it in their faces, and I'm still hated there

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Devil Dancer

Scoring a difficult/skilled game winning or trying goal to break out of a slump. I've done all of those things individually, but I don't think I've ever put all of that together into one play.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Pog Form

I like breaking up a play with a solid hard-effort backcheck. It gives me a boost of confidence and energy.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I like breaking up a play with a solid hard-effort backcheck. It gives me a boost of confidence and energy.
ya prob best one for me. Being defense I dont get awhole lot of chances to score and when I do they are never game tying/winning =\.

Hookin up a sweet break away pass is always a good one too.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Patchey*

Breaking a long slump with a slapshot on a breakaway with 13 seconds left to win the game.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Easily the most pumped I've been was a game tying goal in a (beer league) championship game. We were down 1-0 in the final period and the other team had a 5-on-3, but we managed to force a faceoff in their zone. I took the faceoff and figured what the hell, why not push forward. I got the puck through the center's legs, hopped onto it and just roofed it top shelf.

I've never been that excited. My D-Man said I nearly knocked his arm off with the high five after doing a fist pump. We ended up winning the game 3-1. Fun times.

Other than that, just scoring goals or setting up nice goals. Always a nice feeling to set up your buddies, and scoring a nice goal feels damn good.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 01:31 PM
noobman

I don't mind scoring goals, but I always feel great about making that small play that helps set up a scoring opportunity... be it a strong breakout pass, an aggressive forecheck that forces a turnover, or skating with the puck to draw players out of position before hitting the open man with a pass for an easy goal.

Quote:
I'll believe that when or if I see it

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I don't mind scoring goals, but I always feel great about making that small play that helps set up a scoring opportunity... be it a strong breakout pass, an aggressive forecheck that forces a turnover, or skating with the puck to draw players out of position before hitting the open man with a pass for an easy goal.

I'll believe that when or if I see it
Best feeling in hockey is scoring two terrible goals on Frank D'Angelo. Is that better?

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
rinkrat22

how about playing shinny on our outdoor rink till the wee hours of the night. with my friends and all of our kids. the way the game was meant to be played.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
ryangib

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
how about playing shinny on our outdoor rink till the wee hours of the night. with my friends and all of our kids. the way the game was meant to be played.
playing with news papers for shin guards, wood sticks, and walking to school, both ways up hill.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:26 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Getting the first goal of the season. Especially for me since I took me until the last game of the season to do it. I was ridiculously excited and screaming my head off that I actually scored, but I think my one teammate, who constantly joked with me about when I would finally score, was more excited than I was. When I scored he tackled me.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Avery4Byng*

Serving a Too Many Men penalty and the post game beers. Only two reasons to lacem up.

Avery4Byng* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 11:56 PM
noobman

Quote:
Best feeling in hockey is scoring two terrible goals on Frank D'Angelo. Is that better?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Best feeling in hockey is dropping the gloves with some cheap, chiseling stick artist and then speed bagging him to the point of tears.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Easy, scoring goals.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:36 PM
densetsu

As a goalie, it's gotta be the desperation glove save. Reaching out and snagging that quick cross-crease one-timer out of mid-air, even though you're way out of position. I don't do a Patrick Roy followthrough, I just hold my glove out in the position I made the save in and wait for the whistle, then show my teammates or the ref the puck in my glove. That look of astonishment from everybody, I love it.

Everything else just feels routine. Stoning a guy on a breakaway by reading his deke and dropping into butterfly? Sure, it was a great save, but it just feels routine. Desperation just gives you an adrenaline rush that can't be beat.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
mbhhofr

As a referee, dropping the puck to start the game. Earning the respect of the players.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote