HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
santiclaws

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
Here's MY personal pipedream: Daniel Alfredsson. He's still got it and has two more years on a very affordable 4.875 million cap hit. He would be an absolute godsend to this team both in leadership and skill.

Chances are Ottawa stubbornly holds onto him as they relentlessly pursue that #9 spot in the East, but if he is made available at some point we need to be first in line with a lootbag the size of Ken Hitchcock.
And pipe dream he shall remain.

Old
12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Johnny Utah

Reading some recent posts and Hammond's comments today on a chat it got me thinking about the center position. As much as Handzus has rebounded from an awful first season here and had 2 back to back 40+ point seasons, he has slowed down this year....It makes me wonder whether the Kings will re-sign him at all with Kopitar, Stoll under contract and Lewis, Richardson having the ability to play center and Loktionov and Schenn another year older...

That being said maybe the young guys spend another year in Manchester and the Kings add a true #2 center via trade or free agency.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:13 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Reading some recent posts and Hammond's comments today on a chat it got me thinking about the center position. As much as Handzus has rebounded from an awful first season here and had 2 back to back 40+ point seasons, he has slowed down this year....It makes me wonder whether the Kings will re-sign him at all with Kopitar, Stoll under contract and Lewis, Richardson having the ability to play center and Loktionov and Schenn another year older...

That being said maybe the young guys spend another year in Manchester and the Kings add a true #2 center via trade or free agency.
I've been thinking about that issue too. I think the fate of Michael Handzus will have the biggest impact on what the Kings look like next year.

It also raises the issue (that we've discussed on these boards in the past) about whether or not the Kings would be a better team with, say, Schenn and/or Loktionov instead of Handzus. This is an interesting point for this franchise. The younger generation of players is really starting to push at the veterans but it's not totally clear that the team will improve because of it.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If Williams remains healthy and continues to produce, I would hope that the Kings find a way to retain him. There aren't many better options that will become available as free agents in 2011.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Duc620

Murray and Lombardi speak about Handzus as a natural Selke candidate and an on ice coach for young players. He and his regular line mates are starting to shut opponents down. He's one of those players who win playoff games with unimpressive stats while everybody is figuring out what exactly it was he did.

Don't see him leaving. You could keep him on the third line for another two years while kids battle for 2 and 4.

I see Stoll being moved before Zeus.

Old
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I'm not sure the Kings can afford Handzus. Schenn's cap hit will be over $3 million next year with no bonus cushion. Handzus would have to take a pay cut from his $4 million to stay in LA. Someone else will probably offer more. Maybe the Oilers or Islanders, they could both use some veteran leadership.

Dean might want Schenn in Manchester next season, but he could play himself on the team again. Kopitar, Stoll, Schenn and Handzus would cost too much at their current cap hits.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Fat Elvis

They'll miss Handzus' size if he does leave next season. If nothing else they could sign him to a 1-2 yr deal at 2-2.5 to be a pp-pk and 3 or 4 line C. If they don't sign him, they'll need to replace that size. It would not shock me to see them resign Poni, guy has been pretty good.

Old
12-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If Williams remains healthy and continues to produce, I would hope that the Kings find a way to retain him. There aren't many better options that will become available as free agents in 2011.
I can't see them letting him walk. I'd even go so far as to say they'll keep him over Zeus, if push comes to shove. I would hope Willy would agree to an extension somewhere between 4-5 million. That should allow us to bring in more help, either on the wings or up the middle.

Edit: The more I think about it, its possible that the current, healthy lineup we have this season is what we enter next season with. It might be easier for Lombardi to hammer out favorable extensions with the guys we have than letting some walk and then trying to reel in UFAs. Our big splash would then necessarily hinge on moving Smyth's money, something I'm indifferent to.

Last edited by Ollie Weeks: 12-15-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
I can't see them letting him walk. I'd even go so far as to say they'll keep him over Zeus, if push comes to shove. I would hope Willy would agree to an extension somewhere between 4-5 million. That should allow us to bring in more help, either on the wings or up the middle.

Edit: The more I think about it, its possible that the current, healthy lineup we have this season is what we enter next season with. It might be easier for Lombardi to hammer out favorable extensions with the guys we have than letting some walk and then trying to reel in UFAs. Our big splash would then necessarily hinge on moving Smyth's money, something I'm indifferent to.
Williams already makes 3.5 million/year, and that's a serious risk given his injury history. He's a very good player, but I wouldn't want to put 4-5 million into him.

I think the Kings will run into the same problem with Handzus and Williams that they ran into with Frolov: these are good players who contribute to the team, but other teams in the league are willing to offer them more than the Kings will.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Johnny Utah

I would take Handzus over Williams, a scoring right RW'er is easier to find than a big shut down centerman.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
I would take Handzus over Williams, a scoring right RW'er is easier to find than a big shut down centerman.
:0 Really? Handzus is past his prime and will most likely will slow down soon. Stoll will be a good replacement on the 3rd line after this season. Similar type of player, only Stoll is a little smaller. Handzus is slightly better than Stoll defensively, but Stoll is slightly better than Zus offensively.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zus, but other than maybe a 1 year extension, its time to let him go soon.

Old
12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Yeah I guess I agree....

Well, lets all be real here....Poni, Sturm, Zeus and Williams all come off the books...that's 2 LW's, a RW and a C.

The organization can replace the center position with Schenn or Loki...Moller can replace one of the winger spots...but the Kings don't have another RW or LW to replace the latter 2 spots.

Old
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I'm afraid that Williams is playing for a payday this season. He's looking to cash in as an UFA. Someone will offer him $4+ million per year. Not sure Dean would offer that much.

Old
12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Johnny Utah

Next year...

???-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-????
?????-?????-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson/Westgarth

Kings need a top line LW'er, a second line RW'er, a third line center and LW'er...

Moller, Parse, Schenn or Loki could take a few of those spots, but I think the Kings will go for a bigger name or resign one of Sturm, Willie, Zeus, Poni...

Old
12-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Next year...

???-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-????
?????-?????-Simmonds

Kings need a top line LW'er, a second line RW'er, a third line center and LW'er...

Moller, Parse, Schenn or Loki could take a few of those spots, but I think the Kings will go for a bigger name or resign one of Sturm, Willie, Zeus, Poni...
Dream land:

Semin-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Loktionov/Schenn-Moller
Sturm/Poni-Stoll-Simmonds
Clifford-Richardson-Lewis/Westgarth/Clune/Whoever

Doughty-Scuderi
Mitchell-Johnson
Hickey/Martinez/Muzzin-Greene

Quick
Bernier

Old
12-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Johnny Utah

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2011-n...-unrestricted/

Some good names out there....

Old
12-16-2010, 02:54 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

I talked to DL during hockeyfest. Hartnell doesn't have the skill DL wants (sorry Flyers fans). And when I asked him about Semin, first off, he said his recent history of injuries doesn't bother him at all (see Justin Williams, Willie Mitchell, etc). He also said Semin has the skill he wants, but wouldn't go further than that. Please DL, DO IT!

Old
12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Cook24

UFA-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Loktionov/Schenn-Williams (resign for something between 3-4Mil a year)
Poni-Stoll-Simmonds (resign Poni 2 years around 3 mil)
Clifford-Richardson-Lewis/Westgarth
Ex. Moller

Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Hickey/Martinez/Muzzin-Greene

Quick
Bernier

Only problem is we'll be close to the cap after resigning Doughty,Johnson, and Simmonds unless the cap goes up, which latest rumors are it will happen.

Old
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
MIDSHIPMAN

Quote:
Next year...

???-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-????
?????-?????-Simmonds

To add to what you were saying about Zeus. I wouldn't be surprised to not see him back or to see him back in a reduced role as Kopitar has really become a shut down centerman in the Datsyuk style. I could see us using a more: our top line against their top line from now on instead of: other team top line against our #3 line. Kopi is that good.

Old
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Very likely ready for next year up front will be

Schenn(no doubt)
Loktionov
Kozun (though I think he will only get his cup-o-tea call ups next season and make the team the following)
Moller (if if if)
Parse

There are others but I see those guys having at least good shots.

One of them can take Zuess spot if they split the time between Richie, Stoll and Lewis.

If you look up the middle we have enough to make it work if not possibly improve the team.

We will still need a top line LW without a doubt but will have room for one of the kids to have a shot at the top 6.

I pay more attention to our D to be honest with you and I know that we appear to be set on the back end and we are but we now have too many talented and NHL ready prospects. We simply have to move at least one of them and imo two of them to create room for movement onto the big club eventually.

The teams are already knocking so I see us filling our forward troubles with our back end abundance.

I could see us doing pretty well next season but I am still all drugged out from surgery so I can see allot of things right now that I am not certain are actually possible so take it with a gruen of slatche.

Old
12-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Cook24

Scott Parse ($0.900m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m) (only have Parse here because we have no cap space to put anyone else there.)
Ryan Smyth ($6.200m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.140m) / Justin Williams ($3.500m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($3.000m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Wayne Simmonds ($2.250m) (we'll need Poni if Handzus goes)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Brad Richardson ($1.250m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m)
Trevor Lewis ($0.803m)

DEFENSEMEN
Willie Mitchell ($3.500m) / Drew Doughty ($5.500m)
Jack Johnson ($3.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Jake Muzzin ($0.900m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m) /
Alec Martinez ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) /Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,508,917; BONUSES: $2,675,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $566,083

Looking at the roster for next season, we really have no room to add anything unless the cap goes up drastically. The only way we'll be able to afford a top player like Semin or someone similar, is to trade Ryan Smyth and his 6.2M cap hit, he only has 1 year left, and Edmonton could use his leadership for a season to help the young guns along. They also have the cap space to take on 1 year of his 6.2M.

Last edited by Cook24: 12-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old
12-16-2010, 05:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Ponikorovsky is a nice add but at $3mill not worth it and I don't think that he is expecting to make that much but if so, we can replace him for less.

Williams when healthy is worth the money but he hasn't been healthy. I can't see us giving him a straight up $3.5m contract but who knows.

Is Stoll up this coming off season or next?

If we add we would clearly have to subtract but we aren't in terrible shape.

Old
12-16-2010, 05:04 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Ponikorovsky is a nice add but at $3mill not worth it and I don't think that he is expecting to make that much but if so, we can replace him for less.

Williams when healthy is worth the money but he hasn't been healthy. I can't see us giving him a straight up $3.5m contract but who knows.

Is Stoll up this coming off season or next?

If we add we would clearly have to subtract but we aren't in terrible shape.
Stoll has another year left.

Old
12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Well then there ya go.

Thanks

So addition by subtraction.

Old
12-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Johnny Utah

Frolov has 6 goals and 8 assists in 32 games.

Poni has 2 goals and 3 assists and 1/2 as many games.

To me, both these guys are disapointing.

I think Sturm could be the wild card, if he comes in and plays well I see him re-signing.

In terms of likely to be re-signed as of today.

1. Williams - Pro: Season stats/age Con: Contract year surge?
2. Handzus - Pro: DL and TM love him Con: Schenn/Loki
3. Poni - Pro: Age and size Con: Stats so far
4. Sturm - Pro: Speed and history with DL Con: Age and injury history

Closed Thread