HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Rolston View Post
So...what to do?
Ask your captain what to do in the locker room in front of everyone else. Make it casual, but make sure everyone hears. "So, Bob, should I rush the puck or hang back today? Whatever you want is cool."

Then do what he says, and you're off the hook.

Old
12-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Trojan35

Ah yes, the ol':

We're not winning, we need our ringer to score more.
Ringer scores more.
Hey, we're winning and that damn ringer is hogging all the goals! wth!
Ringer stops scoring.
We're not winning, that ringer isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Old
12-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Losing in the playoffs against a team you beat twice in the regular season.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
I cant stand the "game 7" guys. you know every shift it's do or die. I gotta work tomorrow ya ******. I didn't mind getting slashed or hacked 20 years ago paying youth hockey. but it kinda pisses me off now. I enjoy a good corner battle or fighting for position in front, but do you really need to 2 hand me in the kidney's? for what a tshirt if you win the league?
LOL! Every team has one of those idiots.
I played with a guy that nearly blocked a slapshot with his face. In game 1 of the regular season. While we up by 2 goals with less than 90 seconds to play.

Not only that but the guy would constantly berate everyone on the bench for little mistakes they might have made. He'd also hop over the boards with every special teams opportunity. Everyone hates the guy.

But there was one funny story I still love about this idiot.
In one game, he had the puck during a 2-on-1. He's right handed and so was his winger, who was heading down the left-wing.
Moron, held on the to puck a bit too long before finally passing. Even though he pulled the goalie way out of position so the net was empty, by the time the winger got the puck, he was nearly on the goal-line. The winger fired and missed, but it was a terribly poor angle and only a select few might have been able to hit the net.
Sure enough, Game-7-Superstar gets back to the bench and gives this guy an earful.
So what happens the very next shift? (HINT: I love karma).
The same two guys are on a 2-on-1, but this time the Winger had the puck and on the left wing. He sends a perfect saucer over the defenders stick and puts it right on Superstars tape. The net is wide open, and he has the puck on his forehand and is only 10 feet away from the net and basically facing it head on. He shoots.... and it goes 6-feet wide! Hahahaha!
When he got back to the bench he tried to make some excuse like the pass wasn't flat enough, or some B.S.
Boy did we ride him! He sulked the rest of the game and wouldn't talk to anyone. Hahahaha! Gotta love beer-league heroes who consider every shift to be for the Cup.

P.S. The guy wasn't all that great and was routinely outscored by several teammates who had less hockey experience.
What a tool.

Old
12-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Trojan35

I really appreciate those teams full of agitators. You know who you are. You are the team that think slashing someone's wrist or knee behind the play, boarding, and cross-checks to the neck are "part of the <beginner beer-league> game". You also wonder how so many awesome guys like you are on the same team, and no other team will take any of you on their roster. Maybe it's just fate.

Yes you, jerkwad-filled roster of failures, are true men of genius. For you put all the league's scrubs on a single team so that other teams only have to put up with your annoying bull**** twice a season. The other teams can simply laugh at you at the bottom of the standings, while you hope to get one non-freebie-sub member of your roster to the mighty 5-goal plateau for the season.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Wooty

I agree with the everyone plays until the last minute idea - well that was up until I got older and was no longer on the ice the last minute.

I would beat myself up so bad about trying to keep up it wasn't that good of an experience for me anymore and I stopped playing.

For a lighter story, I was physically attacked on the ice by another player who slashed me 2 handed as hard as he could twice then cross checked me down onto the ice then tried to hit me again.

Nobody on my team helped and I was down being hit until the referee tackled him.

If you had seen it in the NHL it would have blew up the HF Boards and probably the news.
The guy was kicked out of the league.

I haven't played in a year.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Frank the Tank
Passing the Torch

Reading this thread lets me know its not me who is the only one wondering from where the beer league hockey tough guys get their attitude.

We are a newly-formed ball hockey team, and while we have a half dozen guys who have played hockey growing up, the rest of the team is a bunch of guys relearning the game after an extended break from playing. Overall, it has been a lot of fun so far finally playing in a hockey league south of the border and having that hockey team camaraderie back in my life. At first I was hesitant to play with players relearning the game, but I admit it has been fun teaching these guys about proper positioning and the correct passing lanes.

Anyways, we were playing a team that had a player who was clearly better than the rest of his team. He wasn't a dominant superstar, but their team had obviously adapted their entire offense on getting the ball to him and then getting open for any rebounds or passes. After the 1st period we were down 3-1 with all 3 of their goals scored or set-up by this guy. I offered to shutdown this guy as I felt without him to quarterback the offense the other team would be lost out there. So I played tight to him the rest of the game and it worked as he began turning over the puck with poor passes and trying low percentage dekes on me, which I was able to use to transition our team quickly to offense. In the end, we were able to comeback and take the lead 4-3.

Near the end the game, they pulled their goalie and set-up a play that would spring this guy on a breakaway off the draw. Reading the play, I stayed close to him and lifted his stick just as the pass reached us and the ball rolled away harmlessly and was recovered by a defenceman hustling back. Out of nowhere this guy two handed me on the side of the leg and as I turned around he then sucker punched me in the mouth. While I trying to figure out if I had lost any teeth (I had a sharp pain in my gum line), he yells, "You think you are a better player than me?" Even before his strange comment the whole situation was a big WTF moment, and then that came out of nowhere. The kicker was that he was wearing a full cage and I do not wear any type of face shield. I do not know about hockey around here, but where I grew up that definitely was one of the most pu**y things a guy can do. Anyways, the ref booted him, and I do admit that I did enjoy scoring the 5-3 empty net goal as he watched from the stands.

After the game I asked an off-ice league official if this type of infraction (a fighting penalty) yields a suspension or any further discipline. He responded that unfortunately this type of stuff happens sometimes and that I should be ready to play next time we face them (more of a friendly heads-up I know these guys are dbags than a threat). With such an laissez-faire attitude from the league official I think 1) I may buy a cage and 2) may not play in this league past this season, if this does not prove to be an isolated incident.

/vent

Old
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Wooty

It always seems odd that playing hockey unleashes the sociopath in players and at times, that includes me. I have never attacked any player or done things to hurt players but I become very agitatorish and sometimes I am not happy with it.

I am old now (45) and don't play due to injuries and my anxiety problems but I hope maybe to get back in shape and try again.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Bolt32

My old boss plays in a beginner league, they have only two teams. One is full of Novice players and his team is full of beginner players so every game his team would lose by a landslide. (10 to 1, 12 to 2 type of games) He went up to the league to complain and they refused to even out the teams. I'm a b-/c+ player, him knowing this came up to me and asked me to sub in for them.

Yeah, I'm more of a pass first type of guy, I kind of try and model my game after Brad Richards, obviously without the insane amount of talent. For ever goal I would score I would set up like 4 or 5 goals for my teammates. In a ten game season the goal differental was like a -60 for his team.

Looking around in the pregame skate I told them to stick me back on Defense. 2 goals and 6 assists later his beginner team won 9 to 3. I kept my self to only 3 shots in the game, mainly just trying to set the other guys up. I couldn't believe how many times I was ran, two handed slashed. I broke my thumb on my left hand, and recieved a boxers fracture on my right hand from slashes. They then went to the commish and *****ed about bringing up a ringer. I felt kind of bad to start the game, seeing how everyone was playing I knew I was going to dominate, but really after the end of it all I could do was

Bunch of ****** had it coming.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:42 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
It always seems odd that playing hockey unleashes the sociopath in players and at times, that includes me. I have never attacked any player or done things to hurt players but I become very agitatorish and sometimes I am not happy with it.

I am old now (45) and don't play due to injuries and my anxiety problems but I hope maybe to get back in shape and try again.
Maybe this is a topic for another day, but hockey is the only sport where you're overly encouraged to be a *********.
Many players hide behind or like to utilize the old mantra 'What happens on the ice, stays on the ice'. I still think that's horse<bleep> when it's just a beer league or pick-up game.

But there's always going to be those idiots. And the dude that attacked someone while wearing a cage is a complete panzy.
I know too many guys that are like that. Wear a cage down to their groin and then skate around chopping, hacking and punching guys.
I watched one such individual shrivel into a scared little ball-less wonder after someone went at him and got his helmet off with one tug. Suddenly he was pleading for sanity from the refs while he spent the first 50 minutes of the game spearing, hacking and gooning up anyone that came within 5-feet of him.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I sucked last night. We lost 6-4. Although our goalie let up two cheap goals on crappy shots that flubbed along the ice at like 10 mph. Booo.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
GilmourClarkScores

- Signing 15 and a goalie and only 8 or 9 skaters consistently show up. Extra ice is nice but by the 3rd period we are done. It also messes with chemistry when making the forward lines- especially in the playoffs when everyone decides to show up.

- Guys that can't make a clean, crisp, pass, ALONG THE FREAKIN ICE! So many guys on my team feel the need to chop or slap the puck to pass it so by the time it reaches you it's bouncing and you actually need to go out of your way to make a coordinated effort to control the puck.

- After playing with some guys for 10 years they still pass me the puck in the slot on my wrong hand. Drives me freakin nuts!

Old
12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

My team likes to have wingers who collapse in the defensive zone leaving the other team's defensemen wide open. We like to have centers who wander the defensive zone chasing the puck instead of covering the open man in the slot. Defensemen who both go behind the net to chase after one guy.

We like to have two guys stand still in the offensive zone while one guy is getting harassed along the boards or skating circles trying to find an open player. We like to have the pointmen who both stand at opposite sides of the blueline instead of moving along the ice with the puck. We have forwards who get the puck along the side boards and instead of looking up to pass the puck to the player who is wide open in the slot, they just throw the puck blindly toward the net. 75% of the time it goes wide and goes to the other side of the net where the other team grabs the puck and clears the zone.

We have guys who don't backcheck, who don't forecheck or even better who don't realize that there are already teammates forechecking and we end up with 3 guys on the forecheck. One pass and it's a 3 on 2. We have defensemen who pinch at the worst times. We have defensemen who will go in on offense, but then fail to return to the point after a good 20 seconds deep in the opposition's zone.

Ahhh, there's my venting.

Old
12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Reading this thread lets me know its not me who is the only one wondering from where the beer league hockey tough guys get their attitude.

We are a newly-formed ball hockey team, and while we have a half dozen guys who have played hockey growing up, the rest of the team is a bunch of guys relearning the game after an extended break from playing. Overall, it has been a lot of fun so far finally playing in a hockey league south of the border and having that hockey team camaraderie back in my life. At first I was hesitant to play with players relearning the game, but I admit it has been fun teaching these guys about proper positioning and the correct passing lanes.

Anyways, we were playing a team that had a player who was clearly better than the rest of his team. He wasn't a dominant superstar, but their team had obviously adapted their entire offense on getting the ball to him and then getting open for any rebounds or passes. After the 1st period we were down 3-1 with all 3 of their goals scored or set-up by this guy. I offered to shutdown this guy as I felt without him to quarterback the offense the other team would be lost out there. So I played tight to him the rest of the game and it worked as he began turning over the puck with poor passes and trying low percentage dekes on me, which I was able to use to transition our team quickly to offense. In the end, we were able to comeback and take the lead 4-3.

Near the end the game, they pulled their goalie and set-up a play that would spring this guy on a breakaway off the draw. Reading the play, I stayed close to him and lifted his stick just as the pass reached us and the ball rolled away harmlessly and was recovered by a defenceman hustling back. Out of nowhere this guy two handed me on the side of the leg and as I turned around he then sucker punched me in the mouth. While I trying to figure out if I had lost any teeth (I had a sharp pain in my gum line), he yells, "You think you are a better player than me?" Even before his strange comment the whole situation was a big WTF moment, and then that came out of nowhere. The kicker was that he was wearing a full cage and I do not wear any type of face shield. I do not know about hockey around here, but where I grew up that definitely was one of the most pu**y things a guy can do. Anyways, the ref booted him, and I do admit that I did enjoy scoring the 5-3 empty net goal as he watched from the stands.

After the game I asked an off-ice league official if this type of infraction (a fighting penalty) yields a suspension or any further discipline. He responded that unfortunately this type of stuff happens sometimes and that I should be ready to play next time we face them (more of a friendly heads-up I know these guys are dbags than a threat). With such an laissez-faire attitude from the league official I think 1) I may buy a cage and 2) may not play in this league past this season, if this does not prove to be an isolated incident.

/vent
A couple of things:

1. Where in Chicago is there a ball hockey league where people wear helmets and cages? Is it a roller hockey league?

2. Where in Chicago is there any type of league where someone can jack you in the face and not get suspended for it? Did your teammates go after the guy?

Old
12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
My team likes to have wingers who collapse in the defensive zone leaving the other team's defensemen wide open. We like to have centers who wander the defensive zone chasing the puck instead of covering the open man in the slot. Defensemen who both go behind the net to chase after one guy.

We have guys who don't backcheck, who don't forecheck or even better who don't realize that there are already teammates forechecking and we end up with 3 guys on the forecheck. One pass and it's a 3 on 2. We have defensemen who pinch at the worst times. We have defensemen who will go in on offense, but then fail to return to the point after a good 20 seconds deep in the opposition's zone.

Ahhh, there's my venting.
Are you on my team?

I've vented about That Guy on my team before. Apparently he got yelled at by the rink manager for being a dick, and he behaved for the rest of the season. Remarkably, that's when we started winning, and we made it all the way to the championship game. Of course, once we get there and it's close, he gets all line-stack happy again. I wouldn't mind for the final 2 minutes when we were up one, but he started stacking in the final minute of the second period (*sigh*).

His first piece of advice once we goes up is to only go one hard on the forecheck. Logical. Except as soon as he said that, the very next shift, he as a right defenseman is up trying to forecheck and steal the puck. You really just want to go WTF?

So he calls a timeout with four minutes left and us up one and stacks the lines, wanting two groups to each take a two minute shift and leave the beginners on the bench. Predictably, this leads to guys getting tired and unable to clear the zone (or get a change), and the other team ties it against that first group still out there with 1:50 left.

We go to OT and unstack everything (thank god). We've won our only game in a shootout this season, so I'm feeling okay if we have to go to one. But Mr. ThatGuy jumps up with the puck trying to create an odd-man rush, promptly turns it over in the slot, doesn't hustle back and we give up the GWG on a very nice shot being defended by our center. Then he comes back to ***** about how the rest of us just didn't skate hard enough to win. I wanted to put my stick through his skull.

Also, boys in my league are dumb. *****ing at the ref about missing a call is not going to help, nor is screaming obscenities at him from the bench. Yes, they missed a hook. But you go over and ask the ref politely why he didn't call anything, thank him for the explanation and move on. Swallowing your pride will get him on your side for the rest of the game (and asking the question puts the subliminal message in his mind to watch for it without showing him up). Questioning his parentage is counterproductive.

Old
12-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i play really well when i play pick up or when i play against the kids i coach but when game time comes, i play like **** and lose all fundamentals i have. the thing is pick up games are usually against the same people i play against in my league. i guess cause some guys on my team are really intense and i dont want to turn the puck over and give up a break away but when i play pick up i dont really care and i play so much better and with confidence

Old
12-15-2010, 10:39 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

I hate fowards who cherry pick and dont come back to back check in our zone, and then complain that you dont pass to them. Also I hate people who blindly pass or throw the puck away. Just be patient with the puck, alot of the time fowards will come after you and then turn away thinking your going to pass.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:45 AM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I hate fowards who cherry pick and dont come back to back check in our zone, and then complain that you dont pass to them. Also I hate people who blindly pass or throw the puck away. Just be patient with the puck, alot of the time fowards will come after you and then turn away thinking your going to pass.
I think this is the main beginner issue. The second the puck is on their stick in the defensive zone it is thrown down the ice. Take a second to look up and if you have to throw it down the ice, but many times you have a little bit of time to skate or pass. Blindly throwing it out of the zone usually leads to a turn over.

Old
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I was coming here to write about this. :p

Two experiences lately, both with players I call "Little Gretzkys". These are the tiny little guys who have great hands--great hands--but you can see why they never got to play a high level of hockey. Constant skating with heads down, no passing plays, and a major penchant for cherry picking.

So the first guy has this habit of scoring goals and--it doesn't matter if he's just put his team up by 1 or 10--he does a big, hammy goal celebration. Full on, down on one leg, sweeping his hand up as he goes by the bench. So the last game we're playing he does a few other things to bug the team; he shoots the puck well after a whistle had blown, and another time he also jammed at the goalie's hands well after the whistle had blown.

So I'm backchecking on a shift and one of the other guys on his team shoots a low puck at our goalie, obviously hoping for a rebound. Our goalie covers up. I spin around, looking to stop any prospective players from poking at the goalie and lo and behold, this little Gretzky is steaming in to do just that, with the whistle already having blown. So I set myself and put my arm up to deflect him to the side. He spends the rest of the time between faceoffs yelling at me "what the #%^!#% were you gonna do, you #%#? Huh?"

I'm 6'4, this guy is maybe 5'6. Caving his face in wouldn't exactly be a highlight for me. So we settled for shadowing him/shutting him down--you know, stalk him until he cries--and when he didn't score, we rode him hard. I may have made some remarks about him staying off the ice until he finished having his period...

Second guy is a real punk. He is the guy who hangs out at your blueline all game, but he is royally dirty too. Crosschecking, slashing, spearing, punching, the whole 9. So he'd already cross checked me in the back of the head earlier in the game when he gets a puck near our blueline. By this point we'd caught on to him cherry picking so I was back covering as was one of our defensemen. They were both fighting for the puck and I was skating over to poke it away, when this guy cut into the middle with his head down.

If I'm being God's honest, I probably could have jumped out of the way. But since he's a punk...well, I set myself and gave him a ride. There was about 10 minutes left in the game and he didn't finish. I served my minor penalty for bodychecking and went about my business.

Best part was nobody on his team really complained, they're all kind of sick of his cherry picking antics. He never comes back over the redline, nevermind the blueline.

The only downside and irritating part of this story is neither of these guys will stop being the hotdogging, cherrypicking little pukes that they are. It's a beer league, relax. Hanging out at the blueline and then dangling a 1st year goalie isn't something to brag about.

Old
12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Something I hate about my team is how we never for sure have a goalie, and have the time i'm stuck subbing in at goal instead of skating out. I pay just as much as the rest of the players, yet every season I get stuck playing half the season in goal and practically the playoffs.

It's like "dude, i play here for a chance to skate out". I very rarely get a chance to skate out, so I enjoy skating out for once, but it gets taken away most times.

Old
12-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Frank the Tank
Passing the Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
A couple of things:

1. Where in Chicago is there a ball hockey league where people wear helmets and cages? Is it a roller hockey league?

2. Where in Chicago is there any type of league where someone can jack you in the face and not get suspended for it? Did your teammates go after the guy?
1. Up in Palatine, in the NW suburbs. The sports complex has both roller and ball hockey leagues. Our league is the latter and it is played on a full size rink (a lot of running is involved).

2. I wondered the same thing when I saw the guy playing after us this week. Upon my captain checking into the situation he was given a punching penalty last week, which is only a game ejection, and not a fighting penalty. I was going to ask the ref next week what was the difference between these penalties.

My teammates did step in and confront the guy who was still yapping, and the refs were in there pretty fast as well. Confusion then ensued because two of our new players made a line change during this event and the other ref wanted to eject one of them for coming off the bench during an altercation.

Old
12-20-2010, 12:06 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
getting planted by someone when it is non contact

Old
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
1. Up in Palatine, in the NW suburbs. The sports complex has both roller and ball hockey leagues. Our league is the latter and it is played on a full size rink (a lot of running is involved).

2. I wondered the same thing when I saw the guy playing after us this week. Upon my captain checking into the situation he was given a punching penalty last week, which is only a game ejection, and not a fighting penalty. I was going to ask the ref next week what was the difference between these penalties.

My teammates did step in and confront the guy who was still yapping, and the refs were in there pretty fast as well. Confusion then ensued because two of our new players made a line change during this event and the other ref wanted to eject one of them for coming off the bench during an altercation.
Yeah you do a ton of running in ball hockey, I played on a team last year in the city.

That blows that there was no punishment for that guy, but what can you do.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
socktape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I think this is the main beginner issue. The second the puck is on their stick in the defensive zone it is thrown down the ice. Take a second to look up and if you have to throw it down the ice, but many times you have a little bit of time to skate or pass. Blindly throwing it out of the zone usually leads to a turn over.
I just started playing hockey this year and I've been guilty of this. I'm making an effort to at least fling it up the boards to a teammate or attempt a self pass instead of just freaking out because the puck landed on my stick. I've also been trying to stick handle around an opponent, but I usually get stripped because I'm just weak in all areas. But someone told me it's far better to be stripped than make the blind panic pass, if you know you're going to lose the puck one way or another.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's the cheap shots that get me.

I had a pretty decent game last week and had some especially soft hands (don't know where they came from or have been all my life). One shift I stickhandle in the O zone around one guy, then through another's legs, then battle with one guy along the boards where I get the puck back, come around and through another guy, and pass it to the point. We get a shot on net, and the rebound bounces to them and they start to skate up ice, and one of their guys full on butt ends me right in the shoulder (a good 10 seconds after I let go of the puck). So I turn around and cuss him out but I'm not a cheap shotter so I let it go.

A couple shifts later, I come up the ice, move around the defenseman, take a shot on goal, and sure as ****, the same guy elbows me in the head. Later that game, he takes a run at one of our guys, rips of his helmet and gets taken down in the corner, where he proceeds to whine and cry to the refs all the way to the bench. Once in the box, he goes over to the scorekeeper and starts cussing and whining again.

I felt bad for the rest of the team. Seemed like nice enough guys, but it just takes one ***hole.

We had a few d-bags on our first team. It was nice that nobody would mess with you, but any time we lost the captain would just be an a-hole in the locker room and in e-mails. I prefer playing with laid back guys who just love the game, BS on the bench and in the room, and go out for pops.

Closed Thread