HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you rate Picard?

Old
12-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Smoke Monster

vCash: 500
How would you rate Picard?

In two cases where Subban gave up the puck to the flyers, Picard failed to prevent the goals when he should have. I'm not excusing Subban, those were weak plays giving up the puck to the opposing team, especially the second one. But Picard on both plays was terrible and useless. In the first case Carter simply skated from the neutral ice, into the habs zone, and then proceeded to go around Picard like he was a pylon and scored. In the second case Picard should have been in front of the habs net next to the Flyer player, but nooooo he was standing at the other end of the zone. Wow! I really blame Picard for those two goals. If Harmlik or Markov or any normal defenseman was playing with Subban those goals would not have happened.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 12-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:22 PM
TheBuriedHab

He plays well in short spurts but I don't think hes an everyday nhl defenseman. If we could acquire a top 4 dman to take his spot it would vastly improve our d.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
In two cases where Subban gave up the puck to the flyers, Picard failed to prevent the goals when he should have. I'm not excusing Subban, those were weak plays giving up the puck to the opposing team, especially the second one. But Picard on both plays was terrible and useless. In the first case Carter simply skated from the neutral ice, into the habs zone, and then proceeded to go around Picard like he was a pylon and scored. In the second case Picard should have been in front of the habs net next to the Flyer player, but nooooo he was standing at the other end of the zone. Wow! I really blame Picard for those two goals. If Harmlik or Markov or any normal defenseman was playing with Subban those goals would not have happened.
When playing with an offensive Dman like PK, Picard should be playing back more, but I find he is trying to get out of the zone too fast and is getting caught out of position and this allows the other team opportunities like we have seen the past couple of games.

JM has to look at two of the following:

Subban - Gorges
Picard - Gill
Spacek - Hamrlik

or

Subban - Hamrlik
Weber - Gill
Picard - Gorges

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Coldplay
Courage

The fact he is still playing in our top 6 is laughable if you ask me. Some people here are really high on him, but, imo, he's absolutely nothing special and brings nothing to the table. He's soft, makes questionable decisions and while he tries hard, he coughs the puck up, a lot, even if his +/- doesn't necessarily show it. He tries to break out of the zone too fast and often loses it, which is infuriating.

I don't care for him and never did, and I'm tired of seeing him play big minutes while a guy like Weber rots away. I never liked him anyhow, so I'm probably biased.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:27 PM
le_sean

He's a 7th defenceman and plays like one. He's okay every now and then, but he should not be a regular in the lineup of a team trying to make a push.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Tusk

He's filler until a Markov replacement is traded for and is lucky he plays with a player that everybody is focusing negatively on because he never gets any flak even though he's always on the ice for most of the goals PK is on for too.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

I wasn't I fan of his at first, but he has impressed me since the beginning of the season and he deserves to be on this team.

However for the past 5-6 games his play has really declined and he has been almost as bad as PK.

I would sit him and return Weber in the lineup. PK and Weber are the future of our D and they need playing time while Picard is probably gone in a year or two.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Correct.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Asamu

All I can say is that Picard > Paul Mara.

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:21 AM
Canadiens93

Picard has been terrible lately. It was a bad pinch by him that caused the 3 on 1 goal against Toronto and yet still PK took the blame, not to mention Auld failed to stop that muffin of a shot by Kaberle. PK did give the puck away in the neutral zone at the end of the first period against the Flyers but Carter skated in 1 on 4 and I don't know if Picard was expecting a dump in but like it was previously stated he looked like a pylon. Personally I would rather Weber in there over Picard. I certainly wouldn't put Picard with PK as they are both defensemen that like to pinch and take chances. Picard should be in the AHL and PK should be paired with someone a little more stay at home. Hopefully next game we see Weber in and Picard out.

Canadiens93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
The fact he is still playing in our top 6 is laughable if you ask me. Some people here are really high on him, but, imo, he's absolutely nothing special and brings nothing to the table. He's soft, makes questionable decisions and while he tries hard, he coughs the puck up, a lot, even if his +/- doesn't necessarily show it. He tries to break out of the zone too fast and often loses it, which is infuriating.

I don't care for him and never did, and I'm tired of seeing him play big minutes while a guy like Weber rots away. I never liked him anyhow, so I'm probably biased.
If Webwe was a leftie, Picard would be in the stands.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:27 AM
TankEller*

He's a substitute d-man playing in a top-6 role. Not his fault in any way, but he's one of our weaknesses.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:34 AM
OneSharpMarble

Do we have any option? Do we have any defensive dmen in the farm that are any better?

I would then rate him "nessessary" because since we moved several of our defensive prospects we have no option unless we make a trade.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:07 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Picard doesn't have much in line of wheels. Looked good at start of year but as more games played can see why he been in minors most of his career. If he plays a simply game would make a decent 7th defenseman

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:09 AM
The Colonel

Probably the best character out of all of the shows, definitely the best captain- yes even better than Kirk.

The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:25 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I think he's been great for us, well above expectations. His play has declined greatly over the past few games, but somehow PK has been worse. Then again, to be fair to Picard, the only dman who has consistently played awesome is Hamrlik.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Why ? We only have 1 right D on 6. It's suppose to be an advantage to Weber. I would like to see him at the Picard's place.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
All I can say is that Picard > Paul Mara.
Yet Picard < O'Byrne.... and that's what the choice they made.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
On the 5th goal I think it was Spacek out with Subban.

1st goal was all on Picard, Subban lobbed the puck to the opposing blueline, but idiot announcers(McGwire) are making it sound like he made a cross ice pass intercepted in front of his own net. No way Picard should get beat that bad as an NHL d-man, he looked like an orange cone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think he's been great for us, well above expectations. His play has declined greatly over the past few games, but somehow PK has been worse. Then again, to be fair to Picard, the only dman who has consistently played awesome is Hamrlik.
Your definition of great must be different from the rest of the civilized world. He's a serviceable #5-6 NHL d-man, has his good days and bad days, nowhere close to anything remotely called "great".

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'm impressed with Picard I'll admit. True that my expectations were pretty low, but he's played very well so far this season.

I'd say a good bottom-pairing defenseman.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Pleky Roks

Picard is 1 million times better than having MA Bergeron back on our blueline!!!!!

I think the Habs should sit Picard for a couple of games and let Weber play. Its worth a try if you ask me. We could use another right handed shot on the blueline and Weber's offence certainly can't hurt either.

Hamrlik - Spacek
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Weber

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Spacek was a LD his entire career before we moved him to the right side. There's no problem sitting Picard and inserting Weber. Subban can play with Hamr, who can protect him, or Gill, who can maybe settle him down.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:46 AM
neofury*

He's a good enough player to play as a #6 on maybe 15 teams, so I'd say that makes him an NHL caliber defenseman.

However with Weber playing the way he has unless he slows down I don't see why we haven't come to the Subban + Weber in, Picard out conclusion yet.

I like Picard I really do but I never anticipated Weber playing as well as he has, he should be getting ice time. We need a #7 D so it's good to keep Picard but honestly even Carle appears to be shaping up to be a good defenseman at both ends. I haven't seen the dogs play that much this year so going off stats but I think signing Picard even at league minimum next year would be a big mistake.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:04 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
He's a good enough player to play as a #6 on maybe 15 teams, so I'd say that makes him an NHL caliber defenseman.

However with Weber playing the way he has unless he slows down I don't see why we haven't come to the Subban + Weber in, Picard out conclusion yet.

I like Picard I really do but I never anticipated Weber playing as well as he has, he should be getting ice time. We need a #7 D so it's good to keep Picard but honestly even Carle appears to be shaping up to be a good defenseman at both ends. I haven't seen the dogs play that much this year so going off stats but I think signing Picard even at league minimum next year would be a big mistake.
Yet Ottawa dropped him and Montreal was the only team interested in him.

He's terrible. Loses one on one battles consistently.

The sooner he is replaced, the better.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:26 AM
CanadienErrant*

He is a #6-#7 d-man who needs to sit a game once in a while.

In the meantine there is a tall big guy in Colorado who is playing over 20 minutes a game and has a +11 in his last 17 games .....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote