HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian "Gretzky" Boyle?

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2010, 12:12 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
He has always had the tools, just not the tool box. He seems to have found one...really starting to put it all together.

I could count on one hand how many times last season he actually played BIG. Now, he plays big every game. He hits, wins battles in corners, uses his body as a shield, drives the net...it's awesome. He finally realized he's ****ing enormous.

It's just pain.
Old
12-16-2010, 12:14 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He has always had the tools, just not the tool box. He seems to have found one...really starting to put it all together.

I could count on one hand how many times last season he actually played BIG. Now, he plays big every game. He hits, wins battles in corners, uses his body as a shield, drives the net...it's awesome. He finally realized he's ****ing enormous.
That's how I always describe Boyle to the more casual Rangers fans I know.

"You know, Boyle? The guy who just realized he's a 6'7 physical behemoth?"

Old
12-16-2010, 12:52 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Pretty happy for Boyle... He wasn't a player I have much of any confidence in heading into the season....

Old
12-16-2010, 01:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Pretty happy for Boyle... He wasn't a player I have much of any confidence in heading into the season....
Yeah me neither. I had pretty much written him off. Average fourth line center at best. Totally wrong on that one.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah me neither. I had pretty much written him off. Average fourth line center at best. Totally wrong on that one.
I thought the same. I would not say we were wrong. It's just that he's worked harder and smarter than others during off-season. Who could have predicted it, honestly?

Here's a question: if he hits 20 goals while playing with our role players, do we declare him a second liner? How about if he hits 25 goals?

It's unlikely that he'll hit 25, but it's not impossible.

When it comes to 20 goals, I say that it's at least 50-50 that he'll be able to do it.

If he does get 20 or something clsoe to that, no way is he a fourth liner. At the very least, that's enough for someone to be known as a third liner.

Old
12-16-2010, 02:07 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I really think it would be hard to keep Boyle from potting 20 goals. This is more than a hot stick, this is the new Brian Boyle.

Old
12-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Blikian29

Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Glad for Boyle. Always liked him.

Old
12-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Sockosensei

If he keeps playing the way he has been, 25-30 is definitely possible.

I jumped out of my seat when I saw Malkin bump him after the whistle and Boyle's responded by easily forearm-pinning Malkin's face against the glass like a kid brother.

Old
12-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

didnt the kings use him as a defenseman, what were they thinking??

Old
12-16-2010, 06:38 AM
ohbaby

His game against Pitt was one of his better ones. He went after Geno and Sid all night long. It was one of the first times I really noticed him on the ice like Avery or Cally. He also took a beating in return, but still had enough in the tank to bury our last goal.

It goes without saying he is a pleasant surprise. Love how Torts used him on the PP, with Gabby and EC who scored the game tying goal. He was on the ice for 3 of our 4 goals. Great game by him.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

He played an excellent game last night. You can see he's gaining more and more confidence with each game. Really starting to lead the rush effectively, and that goal he scored was a beauty. The old Boyle would never have been able to make that hard turn and accelerate into open space like he did.

Still tempering my expectations, but I like what I'm seeing.

Old
12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

It's pretty obvious that Boyle needed a drastic change to his game, and he realized it himself during the off-season. Hiring that skating coach has basically saved his career.

And he also understands that he has to use his big frame, something that was almost non-existing last season. It has been nice to see him turn it around so far and it's great for the team.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:13 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I thought the same. I would not say we were wrong. It's just that he's worked harder and smarter than others during off-season. Who could have predicted it, honestly?

Here's a question: if he hits 20 goals while playing with our role players, do we declare him a second liner? How about if he hits 25 goals?

When it comes to 20 goals, I say that it's at least 50-50 that he'll be able to do it.

If he does get 20 or something clsoe to that, no way is he a fourth liner. At the very least, that's enough for someone to be known as a third liner.
Labeling of guys is overrated but typically when I think of a top 6 center I'm thinking about a guy who is very good at distributing the puck. Right now Boyle displays very little of that. The best thing you can say about him right now is that hes as trustworthy as anyone on the team and hes making the most of a lot of his chances. Way to go big fella.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Gaborik got a countdown to 50 thread but where's Boyles'...

I don't think it was coincidence that he was on for 3 of the 4 goals last night

Old
12-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Pizza

The change in Boyles game, top to bottom, from last season to this year is so radical that people are still trying to get a handle on it. It's one thing to improve your skating or add grit to your game, but Boyle has been able to do both and more to such an incredible level. Couple that with what looks to be a dramatically improved on ice awareness. And then there is his shot....

We joke about it here but it really is amazing. He really appears to have put it all together. That is so difficult to do coming from where he was prior to this season. No overstating it.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:32 AM
ecemleafs

how did boyle get the assist on frolov's goal?

Old
12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

Boyle and Prust are magic together...I would leave Boyle exactly where he is...if you can get him to score 20 goals a year as a third line player...then leave him there. I do not think putting him on the 2nd line makes him a 30 goal scorer.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:46 AM
DekeR

If Boyle can show us in one years time what a player can do if he puts his mind to it, then what is Frolov's or EC's excuse when they already possess the skill set to succeed?

Old
12-16-2010, 10:47 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The change in Boyles game, top to bottom, from last season to this year is so radical that people are still trying to get a handle on it. It's one thing to improve your skating or add grit to your game, but Boyle has been able to do both and more to such an incredible level. Couple that with what looks to be a dramatically improved on ice awareness. And then there is his shot....

We joke about it here but it really is amazing. He really appears to have put it all together. That is so difficult to do coming from where he was prior to this season. No overstating it.
I think we're finally starting to see why he was a 1st round draft pick. The adage that power forwards take longer to develop is proven true yet again.

RANGERS =
Old
12-16-2010, 10:49 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
If Boyle can show us in one years time what a player can do if he puts his mind to it, then what is Frolov's or EC's excuse when they already possess the skill set to succeed?
Well they both scored last night... It's a start.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think we're finally starting to see why he was a 1st round draft pick. The adage that power forwards take longer to develop is proven true yet again.
It seems that way.

He simply oozes additional confidence this year. His size an newfound mobility have allowed him to get chances and opportunities that other players might not, and he has capitalized on them.

Just to keep track, he was traded for a pick that is now Jordan Weal, a high scoring forward who finished 3rd in the WHL in scoring as a 17-18 year old, bu tfellto the third round because he is 5'8", 158 lbs.

There is a full 11 inches difference between them

Old
12-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

The guy has been flat out amazing. I love his new improved game!!!

Old
12-16-2010, 11:22 AM
NYROrtsFan

Nobody can measure the desire in someone's mind. Boyle just took it upon himself to figure out ways to get better, and he did so. At least some credit goes to Torts, because he's the one who has helped get it out of him, but Boyle definitely manage to do it. It was clear even in preseason that Boyle was another person.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I have a theory that Brian Boyle and Shanny are the one and the same person!

Old
12-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
I still am in awe of that backhand roofjob on Giguere, going full speed down the wing.

Really happy for Boyle. He's earned everything he's getting.

Closed Thread