HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LEIGHTON activated; WALKER surgery (out 6-8 weeks from Dec. 16) and LAPERRIERE LTIR

Old
12-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Great minds, man, great minds...
Ha! I'm just happy my brain still works at all. Smoke comes out my ears when I think too hard and the gears creak like hell, but the damn thing keeps on keeping on...

Another thing that gets missed (by some) is that, because of the cap hit for Thomas, and because we are a team that is near the cap ceiling, we would have had to send back equal dollars. In essence, we were going to lose a key contributor from the lineup, a lineup that has us at the top of the league at this very moment.

And oh yea, Boston was trying to clear cap space. Lookin' towards the Flyers for a deal to create cap space is the wrong direction to be lookin' in anyway.

*shrugs*

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
....quoting the GM that was shopping him last summer. The Bruins had every reason in the world to downplay the nature of his injury.

Not exactly...the article notes " several sources" and not the GM necessarily. Now could those "sources" be Boston operatives putting out "controlled leaks"....plausible but mere speculation. Now if Holmgren is such a great risk assessor all of the sudden by turning down the offer then he could have done the deal by asking for a physical as a precondition. However, as we learned with Leighton he doesn't practice due diligence!!!!

Also Holmgren is such a great risk assessor/mitigator that he took on dead weight in Leighton, Walker and Shelley anyway...pretty ironic if you ask me.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Not exactly...the article notes " several sources" and not the GM necessarily. Now could those "sources" be Boston operatives putting out "controlled leaks"....plausible but mere speculation. Now if Holmgren is such a great risk assessor all of the sudden by turning down the offer then he could have done the deal by asking for a physical as a precondition. However, as we learned with Leighton he doesn't practice due diligence!!!!

Also Holmgren is such a great risk assessor/mitigator that he took on dead weight in Leighton, Walker and Shelley anyway...pretty ironic if you ask me.
Well, in all seriousness I don't think we really considered Thomas... because we never had 5M to put into the goalie position.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well, in all seriousness I don't think we really considered Thomas... because we never had 5M to put into the goalie position.
Fair enough....believe you me I hope Thomas flops now but a part of me kind of wishes we worked him in somehow and Holmgren pursued a different strategy in the offseason. It's working out right now but I just hope come april things are plugging along like now and Bob is not a question in net for the playoffs.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Alright, obviously I'm missing something here, but is there a reason why Lappy, Walker and Leighton were not put on LTIR at the start of the season and only activated when they are healthy again?

That would have saved a ton of money cap-wise and the players would have still gotten paid.

There has to be a reason why the flyers didn't do that and I'm missing it. Something about the LTIR that I got wrong.

Please exlain that one to me.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Alright, obviously I'm missing something here, but is there a reason why Lappy, Walker and Leighton were not put on LTIR at the start of the season and only activated when they are healthy again?

That would have saved a ton of money cap-wise and the players would have still gotten paid.

There has to be a reason why the flyers didn't do that and I'm missing it. Something about the LTIR that I got wrong.

Please exlain that one to me.
LTIR does not save cap space. It merely allows you to spend over the salary cap while the player is on LTIR. Moreover, you don't bank LTIR space... so there's no reason to put a guy on LTIR unless you are going to use that cap space.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Leighton was the only one on the LTIRto start the year. Having too much on the LTIR keeps you from saving extra cap space for later in the season, so Homlgren tried to avoid it

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Leighton was the only one on the LTIRto start the year. Having too much on the LTIR keeps you from saving extra cap space for later in the season, so Homlgren tried to avoid it
Well, having anyone on LTIR keeps you from saving extra cap space.

Kind of moot with this group.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:30 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
LTIR does not save cap space. It merely allows you to spend over the salary cap while the player is on LTIR. Moreover, you don't bank LTIR space... so there's no reason to put a guy on LTIR unless you are going to use that cap space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Thanx for the quick and helpful comments. I think I understand it now.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:34 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Well, having anyone on LTIR keeps you from saving extra cap space.

Kind of moot with this group.
So, basically, the flyers could not save extra cap space with Leighton on LTIR and there was no need to put Lappy and Walker there as they didn't want to use their salary otherwise anyway. No difference between keeping them on IR or LTIR, as long as the flyers didn't want to make a roster move.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Thanx for the quick and helpful comments. I think I understand it now.
It's a common misunderstanding, even amongst hockey writers (some affiliated with this site) that LTIR "creates" cap space. The reality is that it is a mechanism that borders on "emergency clause" for teams, and due to that it has some notable drawbacks.

Most notably, it doesn't let you build up a reservoir of cap space that would allow you to take on a pro-rated salary at the end of the year.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
So, basically, the flyers could not save extra cap space with Leighton on LTIR and there was no need to put Lappy and Walker there as they didn't want to use their salary otherwise anyway. No difference between keeping them on IR or LTIR, as long as the flyers didn't want to make a roster move.
Yeah, unlike normal cap space... LTIR space doesn't build. It's a use it or lose it situation... if you don't need that cap room at that moment, there's no value to putting a guy on LTIR. So, Walker and Lappy were sitting there on regular IR (which allows you to add a guy to your roster, but not change the salary situation)... and now that Leighton is back, they needed to figure something else out.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:09 AM
MsWoof

Thanks for the explanation, Jester, now it makes sense.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 04:25 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I know the Flyers are playing extremely well of late but I sure miss seeing Lappy on the ice. Is there any expectations of him coming back in the future. Best PK man we have!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I know the Flyers are playing extremely well of late but I sure miss seeing Lappy on the ice. Is there any expectations of him coming back in the future. Best PK man we have!
Nope, his career is probably over.

Old
12-16-2010, 05:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Any word on Pronger?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Any word on Pronger?
There's a sticky as part of the post-game Montreal discussion.

Likely a toe, more info tomorrow.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
With simplicity at its finest, he's redefined the term "laissez-faire management style" and given it a Homer touch.
Big difference between "laissez-faire management style" and just going day by day.

Walker's injuries aren't a miracle is all I'm gonna say.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Any word on Pronger?
Still nothing?? Without Pronger, I am worried.

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
According to Sarah Baicker, Pronger is out for a month. 11 games at least.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Walker's surgery was mentioned within the Pronger news:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=546654

Quote:
In addition, Holmgren also announced that defenseman Matt Walker underwent successful hip surgery on Thursday.

Pronger will have his procedure at 1pm to repair a broken first metatarsal in his right foot. The surgery will be performed by Dr. Steven Raikin. Pronger is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Walker had successful surgery on his left hip yesterday to remove inflamed synovial tissue. The procedure was performed by Dr. Thomas Byrd in Nashville, Tennessee. Walker is expected to miss six to eight weeks.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
According to Sarah Baicker, Pronger is out for a month. 11 games at least.
I have a gut feeling, it will be longer.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I wasn't aware that eating up salary cap space required surgery and 6-8 weeks recoop time. News to me.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote