HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The "Intruder" Edition: San Jose @ Nashville 12/15/2010

Old
12-16-2010, 10:17 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500

Great shot of JP's diving block.

Game tying goal. Seeing the replay SK went into the boards and Weber tripped over him and fell as well. Hence all the ice.

Game winner.

Sully sure is happy.

Klein howling at the moon?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:20 AM
glenngineer

SLake, as much as I love your passion about Lundmark, for a guy with so much talent, at 29, why is he not in the NHL? No offense meant but you're standing up for a guy that's a tweaner. As much as I'm not a Fiddler fan, he's playing in the NHL and even wearing an A on his chest these days. He may be a better fit than Klasen as you stated but I just don't see all the love for a guy that was a former number 1 pick that can't even break our lineup with the injuries we have up the middle. I'd rather have Spaling to be quite honest as he's the true epitome of a complimentary player. He does all the little things well, plays the PK quite well, hustles every shift and his teammates respect him beyond belief as noted in his goal earlier in the week. I can't recall a player on this team that the guys honestly wanted to see score a goal more than him and like and respect him for all the things he does on the ice and obviously away from it.

All that said, Lundmark is a top gap at best. Please don't confuse him with an NHL regular. If he were, he would've been here by now.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
SLake, as much as I love your passion about Lundmark, for a guy with so much talent, at 29, why is he not in the NHL? No offense meant but you're standing up for a guy that's a tweaner. As much as I'm not a Fiddler fan, he's playing in the NHL and even wearing an A on his chest these days. He may be a better fit than Klasen as you stated but I just don't see all the love for a guy that was a former number 1 pick that can't even break our lineup with the injuries we have up the middle. I'd rather have Spaling to be quite honest as he's the true epitome of a complimentary player. He does all the little things well, plays the PK quite well, hustles every shift and his teammates respect him beyond belief as noted in his goal earlier in the week. I can't recall a player on this team that the guys honestly wanted to see score a goal more than him and like and respect him for all the things he does on the ice and obviously away from it.

All that said, Lundmark is a top gap at best. Please don't confuse him with an NHL regular. If he were, he would've been here by now.
Glenn,

You didn't answer my question, so I'm going to have to assume you have not watched Jamie Lundmark outside of what you saw of him at camp this year prior to moving further South. For that reason, we're just going to have to disagree.

You continually come back to "if he was an NHL player he'd be in the NHL by now" as your main argument. That makes little sense and as 101st can attest to, more than a dozen legitimately established NHL players playing in the AHL for a multitude of reasons, not all of which has to do with talent, skill, performance, or attitude.

Lundmark was on his way to earning a spot in camp and got injured. While he was recovering Spaling was recalled and has done a marvelous job. The opportunity is now there for Lundmark to be recalled to and given an opportunity. Given that chance I think he would make a case to stick for the rest of the year, but there are no guarantees in anything.

Let me ask another question, would you or anyone else get upset about Trotz not giving Klasen a chance "burying" him on the fourth line if he was recalled? Remember, that is where the opening is, I know there would be no such frustration if Lundmark was put in that position because of Lundmark's experience level. Klasen is an unproven, developing player. Lundmark is an NHL veteran depth forward. Lundmark is the right call here...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:47 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'll preface this by saying all I've seen of Klasen was the very limited amount of time he played in the Detroit game where he was invisible. I'm basing my opinion on what more knowledgeable hockey fans than me who have seen him play have to say.

I want to see Klasen break the line up at some point, but I have to say that I'd rather it be a further developed Klasen on at very least a third line. Sticking him on the fourth line when he isn't very defensively sound, doesn't play the PK, and can't work the boards effectively is more of this square-peg-round-hole stuff that we all seem to harp on at least once a week, sometimes once a game. Besides, he's apparently been called out and sat in Milwaukee, so what happens when he comes to play on a Barry Trotz team? Another six minutes of ice time in one game and then back down? We don't need that, and he doesn't need that.

If Lundmark is the best option right now and fits the team's needs better I say go with it. It isn't always as simple as replacing an injured player with a minor leaguer who may have similar qualities (i.e. scoring goals) especially if those qualities aren't so similar once you get into specifics (in this situation, how they score goals). I just don't see how a guy who is being benched in the AHL is going to make the move up to the NHL and all of the sudden be a hardworking kind of guy. He needs to take his lumps in order, not start taking the heavy ones before he learns from the light ones.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:15 AM
FlyingRat

I'm jumping on the Preds bandwagon.

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
predfan24

With the team playing good hockey right now it makes sense to use the safest option. That's why I would jump on the Lundmark bandwagon right.

Honestly, even if Klasen is recalled who really believes he would play more than 5-7 minutes a night from the 4th line?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
PredsChik

Oh, forgot to mention.... I chased away all doubt on if we would win whenever I saw a beer guy that looked JUST LIKE the Bed Intruder guy. It was almost scary!

Don't know what that song/video had to do with us playing the Sharks but I swear it was a sign from above that we were going to pull it out.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Traded Legwand
Vote for Weber

Sorry for giving up on the game a little bit too early..

Hell of a comeback for the boys.

Traded Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Or maybe Poile will call up Begin.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:33 PM
glenngineer

We're trying to replace Hornqvist in the lineup. He is playing on the 4th line right now. So there's a square peg in a round hole too but it's working right now. Our lines are not typical like most teams. Hornqvist is not your typical 4th line player is he? While Hornqvist and Klasen are different style players, they fill an offensive need. We've also discussed how to get Dumont back on track offensively and that's to give him a guy who finds the open spots and can bury pucks. Who is going to do that, Klasen or Lundmark?

Remember too, Hornqvist got sat by Trotz last year and it paid off. Just because a guy gets sat doesn't mean he's a bad player or rotten apple, sometimes they need a wake up call. Depending on how he responded to his scratch is what I would go on.

To say we need Lundmark on the 4th line to play the PK is not an argument I'd make either considering Spaling is the only one from the 4th line playing on the PK. We've got Spaling, Smithson, Erat, Goc and Ward as the primary killers right now with O'Reilly, Sully and SK getting some minutes there as well.

I get the point that Lundmark is versatile but all the reasons that have been stated really don't fill the hole that is opened with Hornqvist not in the lineup. However offense is produced is paramount, not another 30 point a year guy in the lineup. Some explosiveness might be a welcomed change and it might even ignite Dumont's game again. He's certainly earned the right to be given that chance with his play as of late.

Old
12-16-2010, 12:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I guess the argument is irrelevant now since Begin has been called up, but it's still fun to discuss.

You're right, our lines aren't typical. Neither is ice time granted to said lines. I wouldn't consider Dumont-Spaling-Hornqvist to be a fourth line at all. I consider that our third line. Looking at minutes played, however, and it looks like Ward-Smithson-Tootoo is our third line. That's a much more classic fourth line. I guess it just depends on what the definition of a "fourth line" really is. Is it skillset? TOI? Role? I think for the Preds it's the first and the third.

Since we've recalled Begin you can move either Tootoo or Ward (I'd say Tootoo, but probably Ward) up to the Dumont-Spaling line. Then you have Begin-Smithson-Ward/Tootoo, which is still a classic grinder type fourth line.

Again, I'm with you on the Klasen bandwagon. Just not right now for this specific injury. I think Trotz would give him very limited ice time again, which only puts more pressure on the rest of our forwards to compensate. I think he's better suited finding his game and allowing it to develop in the AHL right now while a vet is recalled to cover temporarily. Move Tootoo up. Let him bang around the boards to tire the opponent down, let the Smithson line further tire them out with physicality, get the top lines out to create some offensive pressure, and hope like hell they can keep scoring. They haven't given us any reason to think they won't.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
glenngineer

SLake, guess we were both wrong....lol. Oh well, your logic and my logic obviously don't match up with Trotz and Poile logic. It was a fun discussion. Neither of us get what we want now. Sometimes I hate being a fan.

I will say this though, last nights comeback was awesome. Can't wait to be at the rink Saturday night in my old seats. YES.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
...I will say this though, last nights comeback was awesome...
Let me second that. One of the most exciting regular season comebacks in recent memory.

Granted, the Sharks of late have not set the world on fire, but it was most gratifying to stick it in their craw, being a high budget, high expectations, perennially mentioned Cup favorite. That group as currently constructed does not intimidate me so much.

When Wilson scored, I was asking out loud, "why no time out?" It was clear the Sharks where disorganized and had lost all their mojo. You could say it was better to save it and have one as they did when Toots cleared the puck over the glass, but at that point you have no idea this kind of gift is in the cards.

Anyway, Preds are showing a resiliance they have never exhibited before. I think Weber, Suter, Sully Lindy, and a few key players just about willed this team to a W. Still excited by it.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
SLake, guess we were both wrong....lol. Oh well, your logic and my logic obviously don't match up with Trotz and Poile logic. It was a fun discussion. Neither of us get what we want now. Sometimes I hate being a fan.

I will say this though, last nights comeback was awesome. Can't wait to be at the rink Saturday night in my old seats. YES.
Yup, we don't get paid to make those calls and those that do went in a different route that I haven't seen anyone very happy about. But I did want to clarify one thing, Lundmark plays on the PP like Hornqvist, it is Begin that specializes as a PK forward.

I'll agree with you about last night, there is no way to fully appreciate that ending unless you were there. I had so much excitement worked up that I didn't get to sleep till around 1:30 AM despite the fact I went to bed around 12:15...

Old
12-16-2010, 01:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nashville is tied with 4 other teams for 2nd in the west....

And tied for 6th with 4 other teams.........

And 3 pts from out of the playoff picture......

But there has only been 30 games....

And NJ still sucks.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Nashville is tied with 4 other teams for 2nd in the west....

And tied for 6th with 4 other teams.........

And 3 pts from out of the playoff picture......

But there has only been 30 games....

And NJ still sucks.
All of the teams in the with whom we are tied seem to be winning right along with us, too. If you look at the last ten games played, it's nearly identical between us, Vancouver, Dallas, and Anaheim. We have the slight edge with one regulation loss and two OTLs. No easy buckets right now. We have one more "easy" game tomorrow, though nothing is guaranteed. The schedule gets a bit tougher in the next few weeks with two against LA, three against Chicago, Columbus, StL, the Wild always give us fits, and then finish January off with a long road trip. We absolutely HAVE to get points in any way possible right now.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

While I don't fault Tootoo for what was clearly an accidental clear over the glass...

...why was Tootoo on the ice with a minute and a half left in a one goal game?

...and furthermore, why did he take MULTIPLE PP shifts?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
While I don't fault Tootoo for what was clearly an accidental clear over the glass...

...why was Tootoo on the ice with a minute and a half left in a one goal game?

...and furthermore, why did he take MULTIPLE PP shifts?
A) He's a member of the shutdown line and Trotz wasn't splitting them up yet because he needed to roll three lines for at least another minute.

B) Because Ward was awful on the early PP and Tootoo was more active getting to loose pucks and disturbing in the slot on his first shift. Bottom line, because Hornqvist was a late scratch and Trotz was desperately searching for someone to replace him on the PP.

C) Did anyone else see the linesman initially come in and indicate that the puck was deflected before the referee suddenly motioned Tootoo to the box?

Old
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think this win might be one of the best in franchise history....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think this win might be one of the best in franchise history....
I remember several years back we were down 3-0 vs. the Wings and we came back in the third and won it. That's my number 1.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:13 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

That was 1 intense 3rd. Were playing great right now, I hope we can get by these back 2 back games with at least 1 win. No Hornqvist, Franson, Leggy, man I hope Begin and Sulzer can do what they need to. I say call up Blum. Give the kid a chance already

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
C) Did anyone else see the linesman initially come in and indicate that the puck was deflected before the referee suddenly motioned Tootoo to the box?
I saw that as well

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:36 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I love this video. Game was awesome. It was unreal, it didn't really look like they were going to get anything, or be lucky to get to OT. But, somehow the game just turned in an instant (or 44 seconds, lol).

I liked Scott Nichol, I felt a little bad for him. But, he's a shark now so not that bad.

I love the "Sharks get away with a trip" right as the Sharks keep possession and score. Meanwhile, if the refs call it, the Sharks don't score right there (they may have later anyways, but they wouldn't have there!)

Right before SK's goal, the PxP guy says "Valuable seconds lost for the Predators there", but little did they know that it was really valuable seconds lost for the Sharks!

Lindback!! Holy cow everyone was diving all over to get the puck out and stop a goal, it was chaos but Preds got it done!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

This Predators team reminds me of the Devils 7 years ago, just an unbelievable defensive squad built from the goaltender out.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote