HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 5-3

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
ya so much better, we beat them 3-0 the 1st game, had a 2-0 lead until they got a lucky one in the 2nd games which made us fall apart in the 3rd period and last night when we tied it could have went either way, they are a very good hockey team not so sure they are much better
Game 1 : Habs took the lead, Philly folded.
Game 2 : Habs took the lead, Habs sat back, Philly caught up and took the lead, Habs folded.
Game 3 : Philly took the lead, Philly sat back, Habs came back, Philly woke up and got back into it, Habs folded.

That's the way I saw it happen. Philly is a better team then the Habs, I won't doubt that for a second, but they are prone to off nights, like any other team. However, just because they are better then the Habs, doesn't mean the Habs don't stand a chance. The Habs just need to continue battling for 60 minutes (or 65, if needed) and not give up. The second they do, they're done.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:07 AM
zzoo

It was a very good hockey game, very entertaining. I like those intense games.

Good: Cammalleri, Gomez (probably his best game of the season)
Relatively good: PacioReady, Eller

Bad: Kostitsyn, Subban, Price (his worse game of the season, he's due for a bad performance, no ?)

Old
12-16-2010, 09:08 AM
RNiner

Was definitely Gomez's best offense game of the year last night, that line had instant chemistry. Was nice to see. Demoting AK makes no sense either, especially given that Eller-Pouliot-Darche has chemistry as well.

AK-Pleks-Cammy
Patches-Gomer-Gio
Pouliot-Eller-Darche
Pyatt-Halpern-Lapierre/Moen

is what I want to see. Three lines we can roll offensively (3rd line somewhat less, but far more then Moen-Eller-Darche) and a 4th line with strong PK'ers to play that role. I do find our 4th line gets too much 5 on 5 ice time, would be nice to see these lines so that we roll the top 3 alot more at 5 on 5.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:11 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Wow so I go to the game yesterday thinking the tickets were the row maybe 3-5 behind the flyers bench. We were 2nd row and even had a seat in the 1st row, pretty bizarre but it was the only way we could get 4 seats close together that close.

Anyways a couple things I noticed. First of all PK didn't just play a great game but he looked like a superstar out there. When you're at ice level you really see how fast the game is. Was my first time and I expected it could be somewhat disappointing just because sometimes it's hard to see the play in one end. It wasn't in the slightest. I mean yeah you couldn't see sometimes but being that close made up for it.

If the habs had won I was going to yell "Richards! How do you like the respect PK is showing you now?!" but didn't want to get too cocky even when it was 3-3.

Either way they were easily within ear range, other fans were sometimes saying stuff. Pacioretty looks NHL ready, he didn't score but he had a good game, you can tell he'll need some time to adjust but he's ready. He looks like he filled out his frame a lot more than he had in previous call ups. Gill was probably the worst hab because the Flyers exploited him. Carey had a pretty weak game too but honestly I couldn't see most of the goals cause it was at the other end

Would watch the replay and while I won't say they were all soft I guess my expectation of Carey is higher now, I expect him to steal some for us. That being said I remember thinking to myself "come on guys for once win a game FOR PRICE and not the other way around".

He was having a tough game but against Philly no less. They just broke Pittsburgh's streak and have a solid team. For the most part the Flyers played clean for the Flyers but many missed calls in their favor once again. Eller looked good but we didn't see much of him. Laps Halpern and Gill were out there with 3 minutes left. We went down 2 goals and I think Price should have been pulled for the 6th attacker way sooner, nothing to lose really at that point.

That all having been said it was the first time I left a game we lost without feeling bad about it. I got to see some goals happen, I got to see some players playing at ice level which really shows you how fast they are and PK Subban all I can say is that he is super fast and good on his skates. When he falls now and then I understand why cause he takes turns so fast etc. He's really a great skater to watch.

Really I think had we not let that goal in with little time to spare in the 1st it would have changed the outcome of the game a lot.

PK had a pretty bad game again imo. He has a boat load of talent, but seems to really lack hockey sense. That give away to Richards was brutal and to not have the presence in mind to know Giroux was behind him. I'm not bashing him, but at times he makes MAB look like Ray Bourque.

I think he could potentially be great, but I'm not 100% convinced hockey sense and hockey IQ can be taught, but i'm not suggesting we give up on him or that he's a bust. I'm just not surprised he is struggling from time to time. Hopefully he will crack down on these atrocious plays over time.

If he would play like he did in last years playoffs I would be excited, but I don't think his level of play has matched it all year. I think it will eventually, but it hasn't yet.

It's not PK's fault some people assumed he would immediately be our number 1 or number 2 dman. These expectations were completely unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I'd go as far as saying Gomez had his best game of the season yesterday - to drop him down now would be madness.
I agree, I can't stand gomer, but he played a really good game tonight.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Mike2000z28

Look at the bright spot. I thought Pacioretty looked good as well, obviously numerous people noticed this. It was a good game and im glad my team came out with the win, but you could tell halfway through the second, they didn't have much gas in the tank and looked like a team that played last night(Flyers im talking about). This is second time now we had to play the habs in the second of a back to back game and out of all the teams, the habs are the worst to play against since they have so much energy and speed. It was the turnovers that ultimately did it, because i noticed the flyers were turning it over like crazy in the second and it led to scoring chances.

Thats what it comes down to and capitalizing. I mentioned in the pre game thread on the flyers board about you need to capitalize on the turnovers if your going to beat the habs since they are defensively tight unit and they did and they won.

Yeah the conference is extremly tight this year, its nuts. Its going to be like last year with the playoff spots not decided till the last game im sure. MTL really only has to deal with Boston in their division for now and both are good defensive teams.

I have no doubt Montreal will finish in the Top 6 in the conference at years end barring any major injuries.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
ya so much better, we beat them 3-0 the 1st game, had a 2-0 lead until they got a lucky one in the 2nd games which made us fall apart in the 3rd period and last night when we tied it could have went either way, they are a very good hockey team not so sure they are much better
Cmon that 2-0 lead was bad goaltending not skill. The first game we had like 45 shots or something. Don't take away from the Flyers team. The habs are a good team and it shows, but also regular season really doesn't mean much in terms of how a team is going to fare in the playoffs IE MTL and Philly last year.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:32 AM
CanadienErrant*

As usual, Price is having a great start and is stuggling as soon as December arrives. That is when a good backup is necessary.... Something the Habs don't have this year.

They needed a win during the last week-end...

They need at least a win this week before the trip...

If they go on the road with a 0-4 under the belt, we can anticipate a super bad trip during X-Mas time.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:38 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You guys can blame the defence or you can blame JM but have a good look at the goals Philly scored.

Everytime the Habs play well, their forwards or at least one of their forwards is back in the defensive zone to provide an outlet pass for the d-men. Last night and the past three games the forwards haven't been doing that on a regular basis. They've been ahead of the play. that leaves the d-men stranded with no options for passes and since our d-men are not elite they make half-assed passes like the Spacek & Subban's brain farts.

Take a look at both of Subban's giveaway passes, (the first and last goals) Gomez was way ahead of the play and what made matters worse was that Gomez was freaking lazy & didn't make any effort to back check once the passes were intercepted.

This does not excuse Subban's mistakes but a team plays within its limits. All teams do but the last 3 games the forwards are not supporting our defense by coming back and giving opportunities for outlet passes.

Our defense is slow and not terribly skilled but when the forwards come back and give the d-men an easy outlet pass, it makes our defense corps that much better.

If you go back to last year and the incident with Sergei K. Martin yelled at him because Sergei was in the offensive blue line when the puck was still in the defensive zone. Well many of the forwrads having been playing like that lately.
Yea, I hate how the forwards just take off when the D has the puck. This has led to at least 3 goals in the last 3 games. Too many giveaways cuz the forwards aren't giving the D a passing outlet.

Old
12-16-2010, 09:39 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Cmon that 2-0 lead was bad goaltending not skill. The first game we had like 45 shots or something. Don't take away from the Flyers team. The habs are a good team and it shows, but also regular season really doesn't mean much in terms of how a team is going to fare in the playoffs IE MTL and Philly last year.
And what would posess you to come into the Habs PGT to defend the Flyers, tell me where the **** you think this is going to get you ? I'm curious ! Its starting to get annoying !

Old
12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
googlymoogly

The refs really are becoming a joke. Look at the timing of penalties. Philly got the first power play even though they had committed plenty of infractions before Montreal was called. After Philly has a two goal lead Montreal finally gets the power play. Then there were no calls as the refs let the game go until Montreal ties it and voila out comes those whistles again. I'm getting sick of this and it does start to look like favoritism if you start watching when they call penalties against certain teams. The same can be said about the atrocious penalty calling in the Detroit-Montreal game. I am going to really start watching this more closely.

It seems like the refs are handicapping certain teams during the game but when the game is over it is harder to tell if they do the make up calls after a certain team has already gotten the advantage.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:13 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
The refs really are becoming a joke. Look at the timing of penalties. Philly got the first power play even though they had committed plenty of infractions before Montreal was called. After Philly has a two goal lead Montreal finally gets the power play. Then there were no calls as the refs let the game go until Montreal ties it and voila out comes those whistles again. I'm getting sick of this and it does start to look like favoritism if you start watching when they call penalties against certain teams. The same can be said about the atrocious penalty calling in the Detroit-Montreal game. I am going to really start watching this more closely.

It seems like the refs are handicapping certain teams during the game but when the game is over it is harder to tell if they do the make up calls after a certain team has already gotten the advantage.
Reffing was atrocious.

I still think the Habs are not getting that many calls because they don't sustain much pressure in the offensive zone consistently. You can't draw too many penalties when you barely have the puck in the offensive zone.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:15 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Reffing was atrocious.

I still think the Habs are not getting that many calls because they don't sustain much pressure in the offensive zone consistently. You can't draw too many penalties when you barely have the puck in the offensive zone.
maybe, but... when the guy being cross-checked, hold or tripped is the player with the puck... it's really hard to explain how come none of the refs sees it...

and it's something that happened a lot lately...

Old
12-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
As usual, Price is having a great start and is stuggling as soon as December arrives. That is when a good backup is necessary.... Something the Habs don't have this year.

They needed a win during the last week-end...

They need at least a win this week before the trip...

If they go on the road with a 0-4 under the belt, we can anticipate a super bad trip during X-Mas time.
This is his first "bad" start of the year after almost 30 games. How does one game qualify as a bad month? Before last night he was 2.00 and .940 in December.

He was 2.25 and .926 last year in December.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post

So what are your thoughts on the 5-3 PP awarded in the last 2 min of the 2nd. I didn't see the Pronger penalty (not sure if anyone did) and Coburn's penalty came out of a scrum and seemingly a face-wash. Take off the tricolere glasses, next to the Leafs, nobody gets the calls at home as much as the Habs do.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Reffing was atrocious.

We spent the whole 3rd in Detroit's end on Friday and got no calls, shots were 19-3. Last night in the last 2 periods we had 29 shots and spent most of the 2nd in Phillie's end and more than half in the 3rd.

The last 3 games the reffing has been pre lock out style...barely call anything. Last night they missed 5-6 obvious calls(to be fair some were on Phillie) that should have been called.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
So what are your thoughts on the 5-3 PP awarded in the last 2 min of the 2nd. I didn't see the Pronger penalty (not sure if anyone did) and Coburn's penalty came out of a scrum and seemingly a face-wash. Take off the tricolere glasses, next to the Leafs, nobody gets the calls at home as much as the Habs do.
Except Philly, who lead the league in that category.

As to the myth that the Habs benefit from reffing on home ice... Penalty differential table. Tied for 4th worst differential.

TeamHomeRoadTotal
OTT -13 -16 -29
PHX -12 -1 -13
COL -10 -3 -13
MTL -3 -17 -20
VAN -3 10 7
MIN -2 -19 -21
WSH -2 -15 -17
NJD -1 -10 -11
BUF 2 -6 -4
FLA 2 3 5
EDM 3 -6 -3
ANA 4 -29 -25
CBJ 4 -4 0
PIT 4 -3 1
CGY 5 -6 -1
TBL 5 6 11
NSH 6 -6 0
ATL 6 8 14
NYI 8 -8 0
BOS 9 -2 7
LAK 10 -4 6
PHI 11 -19 -8
STL 11 -9 2
NYR 13 -8 5
CHI 13 -5 8
DAL 13 -1 12
SJS 15 -3 12
DET 17 0 17
CAR 18 6 24
TOR 18 16 34

Last edited by Bill McNeal: 12-16-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old
12-16-2010, 10:26 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

havent played Detroit this season yet I presume ?

Old
12-16-2010, 10:39 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Go do some research before you come in THE HABS board to claim how favored we are when it come to penalty calls !

Mod edit:

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-16-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Play nice
Old
12-16-2010, 10:42 AM
BLONG7

Reffing was bad, but the Habs can play with these guys....some coaching adjustments, add another big body, and we win in the playoffs...

Old
12-16-2010, 10:45 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Tough loss but really can't complain too much. The boys showed a lot of heart coming back in the third but the bounces didn't go their way last night. No shame losing to a team of Philly's caliber and most of the goals against were the result of Montreal's own defensive breakdowns. Maxpac looks good as does the whole 2nd line, looking forward to seeing them against Boston.

The refs are becoming a real issue in this league, not the reason Montreal has been losing lately (except in Detroit) but it is clear they hold the Habs to a higher standard than any team they have played in the last few weeks. It deifies logic that a team as fast as Montreal gets as few calls as they do, they are held, hooked and interfered with regularly and the other team never seems to pay for it when it really matters. Quite frustrating watching lately.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Turboflex*

The habs completely BEAT THEMSELVES

Defensively, was bad OK, but break it down, 1 soft goal from Price, a rareity. 2 more bigtime turnovers from PK...well he is a rookie work in progress. The most disappointing goal was that shorthanded 3 on 2 that came back as a 2 on 1. The 3 players overcommitted, Plekanec came back, but didn't pick up the guy even tho I think Hamrlik was yelling and pointing for him to do it, he just coasted in and sat in the passing lane instead of getting close to the pass target BRUTAL from a supposed Selke candidate. I forget the final goal but I remember another D breakdown. So a pretty bad game from the D, but...

Who I really blame tho is the forwards. A half dozen OPEN NETS missed. Kostitsyn with like 3, Pouliot, Halpern, Gionta all choking hard. Also the shooting overall was bad, I saw so many good setups in the slot/faceoff circle area miss the net from 15 feet out, CMON.

BTW I hope Pronger is injured. The Flyers thought they are such hot **** beating the Habs in the playoffs with no Markov. Imagine Markov was healthy but the Flyers' MVP D man was out injured? COMPLETELY different series. The Flyers were brutal in the 2nd and 3rd period with Pronger gone, I'd love to see how awesome they are with their MVP d man out for a stretch like the Habs have had to deal with. The sooner the Habs pick up a D man rental the better, cracks are starting to show, guys like Gill, Subban, Picard should not be playing 20 minutes every game. The Habs need a vet workhorse who can log 25 minutes to replace Markov.

Old
12-16-2010, 10:58 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Pronger was dead tired and hooking that whole shift they finally called him on it after being stuck on the ice for over two minutes. It wasn't a face wash, he punched the Hab right in the face in front of the ref, it was virtually impossible for them to let it go especially with all the missed calls like the shooting the puck over the glass in the first period. The reality is Montreal had sustained pressure in the 1st and Philly were committing infractions but Montreal still received the first penalty which tends to always slow a teams momentum.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
The most disappointing goal was that shorthanded 3 on 2 that came back as a 2 on 1.
This to me was the stupidest move all night. The score was even, so there was no urgency to go all out to score shorthanded. As soon as I saw the 3 of them on the attack I was like "OH NO". I can't see Jacques Martin being happy with that one.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:18 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
maybe, but... when the guy being cross-checked, hold or tripped is the player with the puck... it's really hard to explain how come none of the refs sees it...

and it's something that happened a lot lately...
It has....It's been frustrating the last few games... Really frustrating... but...I think most teams are getting shafted by crappy officiating. Really wish there would be more of a stink made about it via the media or players or someone.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:26 AM
andy28

Quote:
It has....It's been frustrating the last few games... Really frustrating... but...I think most teams are getting shafted by crappy officiating. Really wish there would be more of a stink made about it via the media or players or someone.
Stuff like that happens from time to time. See what happens to that player or the team he plays on the very next game after complaining about the refs.

I remember a few years ago Ottawa made a stink about reffing. I think it was Ottawa. Next game they got hosed by the refs.

Closed Thread